HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Unlock ThirdPersonPerspective

Beta

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Pelax

Pelax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 05:57 PM

Beta is the last chance to test that as full feature. After using console command 'behindview' I simply fell in love with it. You should just try it out in the infamous 'offline' mode. Mechs are prettier than my girlfriend & their animations are simply awesome! I really don't get it why it wasn't fully implemented yet - it has so much potential!

Just one key to switch FPP/TPP camera or perhaps second one to turn on/off the HUD. I'd like to have that option to truly enjoy the view;-)

Anyone with me_

#2 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 06:07 PM

View PostPelax, on October 25 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

Mechs are prettier than my girlfriend
Must... Hold... Back...

It's a balance and an immersion/design issue. I'm all for having it be a server-side restriction. Allow it on some servers, disallow it on others.

The around corner sight whilst healing is a huge asset, having it whenever would change the game drastically. Whether that's good or bad is up to the individual. Keeping the lock serverside would make everybody happy by allowing both the purist modes and the third person to exist.

#3 Waddles

Waddles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 06:24 PM

ive yet to play, but from playing other games having the option of 3rd person anywhere with a choice of 1st is a must-have imo. i'd sure love it this way..

-oink-

#4 VystreL

VystreL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 06:36 PM

View PostD20Face, on October 25 2012 - 06:07 PM, said:

It's a balance and an immersion/design issue. I'm all for having it be a server-side restriction. Allow it on some servers, disallow it on others.

Good idea on server restrictions.  No matter what, the community will never agree on one thing, so just give everyone the option to choose the server(preferably an easy check box of sort).

and Yea, third person is great.

#5 KidGrim

KidGrim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNewton, NC

Posted October 25 2012 - 06:37 PM

I really dunno about that. From the trailer, it looks like they lovingly crafted the insides. Not to mention that I've seen literally 0 people pull that kind of perspective switch off without making it look and function like complete garbage (In a multiplayer game anyway.).

The swear sensor on here is......wtfisthis. Seriously_ Turn that down a notch or twelve, guys. There's family-friendly and then there's westboro baptist. Please do not be "Those guys".

Edited by KidGrim, October 25 2012 - 06:40 PM.

#6 PhoenixHawk

PhoenixHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted October 25 2012 - 06:50 PM

You don't know what you're fuzzy bunny talking about. We love our fuzzy bunny "fuzzy bunny."

Edited by PhoenixHawk, October 25 2012 - 06:50 PM.

#7 EMEUTIER

EMEUTIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

Posted October 25 2012 - 08:31 PM

Uh guys, shouldn't this thread be in the BETA TOPIC_
Posted Image

#8 Waddles

Waddles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 12:19 AM

View PostPhoenixHawk, on October 25 2012 - 06:50 PM, said:

You don't know what you're fuzzy bunny talking about. We love our fuzzy bunny "fuzzy bunny."
i'd love to see a list of the filters, every word is filtered into something different
fuzzy bunny would be funny

Edited by Waddles, October 26 2012 - 12:19 AM.

#9 Tezkat

Tezkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 08:30 AM

View PostKidGrim, on October 25 2012 - 06:37 PM, said:

I really dunno about that. From the trailer, it looks like they lovingly crafted the insides. Not to mention that I've seen literally 0 people pull that kind of perspective switch off without making it look and function like complete garbage (In a multiplayer game anyway.).

They're trying to make it work in Firefall. Perspective switch actually defaults to the middle button, and players are encouraged to switch back and forth depending on which view would be optimal for a given situation.
Live Open Beta gameplay and commentary on twitch.tv/Tezkat...

More HAWKEN gameplay videos at Mech.TV.

#10 Ikaruz

Ikaruz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted October 31 2012 - 10:23 AM

I'm all for having it be a server-side restriction. Allow it on some servers, disallow it on others.

Third person MUST be server-restricted, since it can be used to get an unfair advantage: looking past walls without even leaving them. Why should a sniper/infiltrator, to get a quick peek, leave his hideout in first-person and maybe get spotted, when he can also switch to third-person without moving at all_ (People who prefer the first-person-view would be pressed to switch to third-person so they don´t have any disadvantages) Also, it seems to me that your FOV (field of view) is slighty increased when playing in third-person.

I also think that third-person reduces the "I´m the pilot of a mighty, mighty mech, hyaa!"-feeling (which could affect the game experience), but that´s just my opinion.

In a nutshell: 3rd-person is okay (since the mechs surely are smexy), but shouldn´t be given away unlimited. Making it to a server restriction seems to be the best solution here.

Nevertheless, I don´t need it; first person brings so much atmosphere into the whole game; I love it for that :>

Edited by Ikaruz, October 31 2012 - 10:33 AM.

#11 Therris

Therris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted November 02 2012 - 06:39 AM

1) Third person please.
2) Surround support, please.

#12 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 02 2012 - 08:05 AM

Third person would give an edge to people who used it. It would also make stealth and flanking harder for no real reason. Accuracy is not that big a deal in Hawken, so the whatever loss in accuracy you'd get from playing in 3rd person would be negligable.

It's pretty clear limiting your field of view is an intended mechanic of the game, just look at turret and zoom mode.
Beep beep, Kiwi's a Chaffeemancer.

#13 marshalade

marshalade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationGasland, Pa, USA

Posted November 03 2012 - 07:44 PM

No, no, no, no, no. Such an awful idea for so many reasons. Chaffeemacer is right, limiting FOV is an intended mechanic, and it also lends a lot to the atmosphere of the game. It may sound crazy, but I'm dead-set against it even as a server restriction. I don't think third-person perspective has a place in this game, simple as that.

Posted Image
A tidal wave of marshalade...

#14 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted November 04 2012 - 01:56 AM

The third person shoulder view looks rad... but would almost certainly introduce numerous balance issues if introduced to matches allowing for both first and third person fields of view. Might make for some cool machinimas though.

#15 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 04 2012 - 05:03 AM

Given the level of accuracy needed for this game (which isn't huge outside CQC HEAT and sniping), if 3rd person was an option, I'd never stop using first.
The improvement of situational awareness it grants is amazing.

It would have to be a server option at the very least, but considering how drastically it changes how the game is played, I say, just keep it locked down.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#16 JonnyO2

JonnyO2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted November 05 2012 - 08:53 PM

I'd like to see third-person as an option, personally. I think I'd prefer 3rd person when I'm on the run and 1st person when I'm... on the gun.

#17 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 06 2012 - 06:52 AM

Third person should only be an option in spectator mode only. It's too easily abused for normal gameplay.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#18 gunhe4d

gunhe4d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted November 06 2012 - 09:51 AM

nope.  maybe for a spectator mode, but never in combat play, you gain too much of an advantage especially in a game like this where dodging in and out of cover is such a huge part of gameplay.

#19 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 06 2012 - 01:27 PM

In real combat down there -> 3rd Person View = Cheating.

So no way.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#20 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationAt the back of the North Wind

Posted November 06 2012 - 04:36 PM

View PostWaddles, on October 25 2012 - 06:24 PM, said:

ive yet to play, but from playing other games having the option of 3rd person anywhere with a choice of 1st is a must-have imo. i'd sure love it this way..

-oink-

Off topic, you make me hungry for the taste of old fifteen poundy.

*gets knife and fork*
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users