HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

New mech, Refueler

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 thirtysix

thirtysix

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 10:04 AM

We got a tech to heal, how bout a refueler to replenish empty fuel tanks_
Heat, health, fuel are essentials and really an ever changing dynamic. Let's say each mech has standard fuel alotment but no more refilling your own tank. (class A junkies gonna hate this). Health orbs will also have fuel when dropped or on mech kill. Open the bases for TDM/Missile and have refueling there. This will promote a tighter match play tactic for sure and introduce a slightly more tacticle match/map play. Yolo/cowboys, basic by myselfers, run and gun will fall to the wayside. Feel free to expand, don't bother to hate!

Asus Rampage III Extreme - Core I7 920 - 16Gb G.Skill RipJawsZ - 2 EVGA GTX 560ti (SLi) - Cosair Hydro H50 cooler - Corsair CMPSU-1000HX - Antec DF-35
In space no one can hear you scream!

#2 Skitzo1d

Skitzo1d

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 10:10 AM

Where the idea behind this can seem ok.  the main point isnt going to work.  Where do mechs needs refueling at during combat.  So trying locking a beam onto someone while they are all over the place, which can be done but will be sporadic so if your hoping to get that extra fuel and your banking on that to save you, I wouldnt.  In an escape situation the refueling simply wouldnt beable to keep up to keep them boosting (specially since it would make sense to make a refueling a c class mech).  Also your taking away a damage gun by having the refueler, now if you turn it into a two mode gun like a flamethrower with one end and refuel with other it might work, but most would never use the refuel because you get fuel regen back quick enough as it is that there wouldnt be much of a need.

Sorry for the hate but couldnt really think of the positives for this at all :(.

Fred is sad hes not like the other robots

Posted Image

[12:43] <@ThirdEyE> skitzo1d = worst reaper NA

#3 RozerMahbub_

RozerMahbub_

fishy scout

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • LocationTorino,To-10125 ,italy

Posted July 28 2014 - 10:18 AM

NO!

Posted Image

I DON'T CARE

i want to tell you a true story , once upon a time everyone was a perfect pure NOOB ^_^

#4 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 10:23 AM

I like the idea. I do. We've got the incin, and the tech. I just don't know how it will work mechanics wise. It would make sense for it to be a C, or maybe a B class due to the size and their conceptual ability to hold more fuel, but it just wouldn't keep up with a lot of the mechs that consistently need fuel. Additionally, if it were an active ability (as in, takes the place of a weapon), it would require a lot of communication as fuel status isn't available just by looking at a mech. Perhaps this could be relegated to an active area effect ability to be used mid firefight. It would be a strange idea, as clearly low fuel mechs would have to swoop in close to be refueled, which would at the same time make them an easier target. I don't know. It's worthy of more thought.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, July 28 2014 - 10:35 AM.

Posted Image

#5 thirtysix

thirtysix

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 10:25 AM

View PostSkitzo1d, on July 28 2014 - 10:10 AM, said:

Where the idea behind this can seem ok.  the main point isnt going to work.  Where do mechs needs refueling at during combat.  So trying locking a beam onto someone while they are all over the place, which can be done but will be sporadic so if your hoping to get that extra fuel and your banking on that to save you, I wouldnt.  In an escape situation the refueling simply wouldnt beable to keep up to keep them boosting (specially since it would make sense to make a refueling a c class mech).  Also your taking away a damage gun by having the refueler, now if you turn it into a two mode gun like a flamethrower with one end and refuel with other it might work, but most would never use the refuel because you get fuel regen back quick enough as it is that there wouldnt be much of a need.

Sorry for the hate but couldnt really think of the positives for this at all :(.

Tech does ok, taking away a fighter class_ Tech does well here too... Point IS to make you work as a team, stay together and fight as a cohesive unit and bring back the sense of MISSION. The refueling mech, like it's cousin the tech are a commodity that must be protected and although this isn't real life, on the battle field there are refuelers and fuel depots. Look for a positive here, I just came up with the idea but it needs expanding :)

Asus Rampage III Extreme - Core I7 920 - 16Gb G.Skill RipJawsZ - 2 EVGA GTX 560ti (SLi) - Cosair Hydro H50 cooler - Corsair CMPSU-1000HX - Antec DF-35

#6 spo0n

spo0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 10:32 AM

We need fuel converter to be even more powerful.  Also, no flying for anyone, HAHAHA.

#7 Odinous

Odinous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAthens,Greece

Posted July 28 2014 - 10:40 AM

No A will never gonna get extra fuels :P

#8 Skitzo1d

Skitzo1d

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 10:44 AM

Yea I get the idea of it, but in all logical encounters it wouldnt work out well.  If its a beam ability like I said hard to lock on moving fast a class, a run away target to give them extra boost.  Making it a duel gun everyone would negate the refuel option and go for the damage option specially in pub games where every man for himself attitude reigns supreme.  Now take tickle's suggestion for making it an area effect ability punch the "f" key and you would need a indicator that would say hey im in refueling mode but the classes that need this the most_ A classes which would be the most vurnible getting up all huggy on a C class mech which everyone targets cause of their being easy to hit.

Example im an A class behind cover half health low on fuel, i Hear the "ding I got fuel" but hes over there in the open and Im going to have to go out there in the open to get fuel which ill be walking cause i have no fuel to begin with, so i risk dieing.  Or B.) do I stay here in cover wait 2 seconds let my fuel regen and then i can continue to peekaboo_  Im sorry but I would pick option B everytime.

Now take for example the oposite of that and you are all behind cover and hes there next to you and he hits his ability and you get fuel back twice as fast as you would.  This is the only feasable usage of this I can forsee until someone stears me away.  But lets take this for example when are you normally grouped up behind cover_  When the enemy is dead and you all are repairing anyways so your fuel will regen back anyways.  Now there will be the time or 2 you are out of fuel and you and the refueler will be behind cover adn the enemy is bearing down on you and if he pops his ability right then you could get enough fuel to make a get away (leaving the C class refueler to die most likely), or have enough fuel to go out in a blaze of glory.  Ok if you magaged to get the fuel and kill those enemies bearing down you,  you still have to manage to get the refueler to pop his ability with coordination that you need it, with the voice system on the ropes it would be impossible to type it in time and he would have to just know that you need fuel.  A lot of coordination your not going to see in pub games.

Say you got the coordination you need  and everything is working all fine and dandy, but take into account who is going to play the refueler_ because this will be a very selfless mech, giving up its ability to help other people where as all other mechs have abilities that directly help themselves.  I cant imagine most people would play this mech but only for fun every now and then but in a serious match_  That being said you could give the refueler the ability to refuel himself as well but logically it wouldnt make too much sense to carry that much fuel on 1 mech that could refuel 6 mechs in the matter of 1 second_  Where as if i was that mech I would rewiring it and say fuzzy bunny everyone else and have endless amounts of fuel for myself :).  But again that is you giving the scout ability to a C class plus the ability to refuel others on top of it.

Its not a bad idea but I just cant see this working out as an ability for a mech or as a weapon.

edit: for tech ability does help others (but also helps himself as well )

Edited by Skitzo1d, July 28 2014 - 10:47 AM.

Fred is sad hes not like the other robots

Posted Image

[12:43] <@ThirdEyE> skitzo1d = worst reaper NA

#9 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 11:30 AM

View PostSkitzo1d, on July 28 2014 - 10:44 AM, said:

Yea I get the idea of it, but in all logical encounters it wouldnt work out well.  If its a beam ability like I said hard to lock on moving fast a class, a run away target to give them extra boost.  Making it a duel gun everyone would negate the refuel option and go for the damage option specially in pub games where every man for himself attitude reigns supreme.  Now take tickle's suggestion for making it an area effect ability punch the "f" key and you would need a indicator that would say hey im in refueling mode but the classes that need this the most_ A classes which would be the most vurnible getting up all huggy on a C class mech which everyone targets cause of their being easy to hit.

Example im an A class behind cover half health low on fuel, i Hear the "ding I got fuel" but hes over there in the open and Im going to have to go out there in the open to get fuel which ill be walking cause i have no fuel to begin with, so i risk dieing.  Or B.) do I stay here in cover wait 2 seconds let my fuel regen and then i can continue to peekaboo_  Im sorry but I would pick option B everytime.

Now take for example the oposite of that and you are all behind cover and hes there next to you and he hits his ability and you get fuel back twice as fast as you would.  This is the only feasable usage of this I can forsee until someone stears me away.  But lets take this for example when are you normally grouped up behind cover_  When the enemy is dead and you all are repairing anyways so your fuel will regen back anyways.  Now there will be the time or 2 you are out of fuel and you and the refueler will be behind cover adn the enemy is bearing down on you and if he pops his ability right then you could get enough fuel to make a get away (leaving the C class refueler to die most likely), or have enough fuel to go out in a blaze of glory.  Ok if you magaged to get the fuel and kill those enemies bearing down you,  you still have to manage to get the refueler to pop his ability with coordination that you need it, with the voice system on the ropes it would be impossible to type it in time and he would have to just know that you need fuel.  A lot of coordination your not going to see in pub games.

Say you got the coordination you need  and everything is working all fine and dandy, but take into account who is going to play the refueler_ because this will be a very selfless mech, giving up its ability to help other people where as all other mechs have abilities that directly help themselves.  I cant imagine most people would play this mech but only for fun every now and then but in a serious match_  That being said you could give the refueler the ability to refuel himself as well but logically it wouldnt make too much sense to carry that much fuel on 1 mech that could refuel 6 mechs in the matter of 1 second_  Where as if i was that mech I would rewiring it and say fuzzy bunny everyone else and have endless amounts of fuel for myself :).  But again that is you giving the scout ability to a C class plus the ability to refuel others on top of it.

Its not a bad idea but I just cant see this working out as an ability for a mech or as a weapon.

edit: for tech ability does help others (but also helps himself as well )
I mean, it doesn't have to be so selfless. The incinerator has a practically useless ability, but people still play it. In the event of implementation, I'm not saying give the incin this responsibility, but maybe make it either a fast acting active ability or a slow acting passive one on a different mech.
Posted Image

#10 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted July 28 2014 - 11:41 AM

no

Posted Image

#11 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted July 28 2014 - 11:49 AM

We got a tech to heal, how bout a refueler to replenish empty fuel tanks_
well.
tech - kill the original repair mechanic
incinirator - kill the original heat mechanic
steam-patch - kill the original fuel mechanic

i don't care what else developers would kill in the next patch when they make a new mech. all already been killed. maybe mech who restricted dodge ability to opponents_ :У

Edited by nepacaka, July 28 2014 - 11:51 AM.

#12 bkcat1

bkcat1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationOuter space, destroying worlds

Posted July 28 2014 - 12:20 PM

What if its passive ability was to increase the maximum fuel capacity of the mechs around it_ That might make for some interesting team pushes and whatnot. Though, it really makes no sense for it to magically teleport fuel into them...

Maybe if it was a directed beam like the technician, it could sort of prepare a few teammates to rush in and not worry about fuel_ I dunno, but I can see this as a great support that helps with pushing objectives.

#13 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIn Space's Solemn Silence

Posted July 28 2014 - 01:23 PM

If my fuel didn't regen, I'd have the worst MMR in the world, and I mean that, the fuel regen thing is probably a god send for A classes, the ability to rapidly get away makes up for the paper their made of, and also, no mech is an all-by-myselfer, they all fall when alone.

This quality about the Hawken mechs (they can't survive alone) is important to how Hawken works and plays. If you have a team totally composed of Recruits (every Hawken player has had this moment), team work is the only thing that wins the match. It would be the same if you had a team of Scouts or Brawlers, alone your dead, together your going to wipe the floor with the enemies asses.

In short, refueler will make Hawken not Hawken, though Ascension already did that to some extent.

(If there was a refueler, I would want it C-class, A-class is just too much speed for such a low, though keystone, job and B-classes makes awkward support types)

"Or maybe we'll just have to go through you"

#14 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted July 28 2014 - 03:18 PM

New meta:

3 Refuelers, 3 Raiders

#15 thirtysix

thirtysix

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 03:41 PM

View PostEliteShooter, on July 28 2014 - 11:41 AM, said:

no

Predictable but useless post. This isn't a poll. It's a suggestion. Does not require an answer.

Honestly the majority of players prefer the class A, (me included) because you run in, kill, run to the next and on and on... gun and run. There's no depth to this tactic. We have these great maps with defense points, chokes, high ground etc. for teams to make strategic use of and in all but a few pub matches will you see this done, ie. no TEAM play. Complaints in every match about players that won't group, it's ridiculous. This suggestion in and of itself is not the answer to this dilemma, but maybe it will spark that one thing... an IDEA that will put the focus back on team play. Individual effort is best displayed in Deathmatch.

#16 KOS_Baconman

KOS_Baconman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Locationsaving money..

Posted July 28 2014 - 04:47 PM

here we are discussing a new mech idea,

but the real question remains,

WHEN IS ROPEFISH GETTING HIS MINI-NUKE_
Posted Image

#17 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted July 28 2014 - 09:45 PM

View PostKOS_Baconman, on July 28 2014 - 04:47 PM, said:

here we are discussing a new mech idea,

but the real question remains,

WHEN IS ROPEFISH GETTING HIS MINI-NUKE_

when he turns 18
Posted Image

#18 Infyrno

Infyrno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow

Posted July 28 2014 - 11:15 PM

Maybe make it a passive thing, just like incin's heat dispersion thingie.  Yes, now it's OP, give it a weak seconsary and you're fine

#19 Opicron

Opicron

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted July 29 2014 - 04:24 AM

I believe this idea will not make it. When someone chooses this support tech its another less fighter on the team. Together with the medic you could be facing 6v4+2support.

People in pubs will not be amused.

Edited by Opicron, July 29 2014 - 04:24 AM.

Posted Image#94 it used to be

#20 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted July 29 2014 - 04:30 AM

View PostAmidatelion, on July 28 2014 - 03:18 PM, said:

New meta:

3 Refuelers, 3 Raiders