HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

HE grenade needs an overhaul

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted August 03 2014 - 09:57 AM

Still, what else is new_ This item has never really been all that useful, especially since the detonator. I could take you through all the various revisions and why they didn't work but instead, here's how it currently stands.

It barely does more damage than the detonator, is only slightly harder to aim, and has the same blast radius. Yes, the same. Not smaller, as the explosion would imply (please, for pity's sake, it looks like a firecracker went off inside a ping pong ball) and not bigger, as most people assume. The. same. radius.

To make up for this glaring weakness, the devs gave us the ability to manually detonate it. I appreciated the thought, but it solved nothing. Now, instead of being obsolete compared to the detonator, it's basically another detonator. There's still no reason for it to be in the game. The sad part is the solution is obvious.

The HE grenade should function completely different from the Detonator. It should have a wider blast radius, MUCH greater damage, and be on a timer, not manually detonated. (you know, like it used to). Know what other items work like that_ EMP and ISM. They have the exact mechanics that the HE grenade should currently have. So why doesn't it_

High risk, difficult to aim, but good payoff. I'm thinking about 100 damage inner-radius, 50 outer, 25 fringe. Of course it would beep as well. These changes would validate it's existence and make it a tempting alternative to the easy-to-use detonator.
Posted Image

#2 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted August 03 2014 - 12:00 PM

I agree. The HE charge feels largely overshadowed by the detonator. Sure you can increase the throwing speed, but only if you hold down the activation button beforehand. Unless you have a thumb button on your mouse, it's rather difficult. Either the HE charge needs to be more powerful for its difficulty of use, or it simply needs to be easier to use.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#3 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted August 03 2014 - 01:34 PM

View PostSoldierHobbes11, on August 03 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

I agree. The HE charge feels largely overshadowed by the detonator. Sure you can increase the throwing speed, but only if you hold down the activation button beforehand. Unless you have a thumb button on your mouse, it's rather difficult. Either the HE charge needs to be more powerful for its difficulty of use, or it simply needs to be easier to use.

Not sure you read the post. Making it easier to use is part of why it's so obsolete. It's too similar to the Detonator. Same blast radius, nearly same functionality, only does 5 more damage. It needs to work more like the ISM and the EMP.
Posted Image

#4 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted August 03 2014 - 01:58 PM

View PostSilk_Sk, on August 03 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

Not sure you read the post. Making it easier to use is part of why it's so obsolete. It's too similar to the Detonator. Same blast radius, nearly same functionality, only does 5 more damage. It needs to work more like the ISM and the EMP.
Ah, well if we're talking about totally changing the function then that's different. We could also just have it work like a C4 charge.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#5 CounterlogicMan

CounterlogicMan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted August 03 2014 - 03:34 PM

Can you bounce a detonator off a wall around the corner and detonate it_ Or roll it over a hill_ Bounce it from high ground into the AA without exposing yourself_

I completely disagree with saying that the HE grenade is "not very useful".

It serves a niche purpose just like most of the items. The reason the detonator is so much more popular is its ease of use and similar damage.

I do agree that something needs to be done about the animation of its explosion. It should more accurately show the true blast radius!

100 damage is a bit much for an item. Remember when det was literally a pocket TOW_ With 100 damage HE a infil could 1 hit K.O. a B class quite easily.

I don't quite know if a damage boost would be the remedy to det vs he charge usage discrepancy. I am thinking that maybe the det should have a slightly smaller blast radius. That along with a correct animation for detonation would go a long way to fix its perceived image to many players.

Overall more players will use det over HE charge simply because the det is much easier to use effectively. Believe it or not, against skilled pilots, it is much more difficult to use the HE charge effectively compared to the detonator.

P.S. I am glad that you posted this because the HE charge gets quite a bad rep because of the incorrect explosion animation.

Edited by CounterlogicMan, August 03 2014 - 03:36 PM.

#6 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted August 03 2014 - 03:39 PM

View PostSoldierHobbes11, on August 03 2014 - 01:58 PM, said:

Ah, well if we're talking about totally changing the function then that's different. We could also just have it work like a C4 charge.

That would be amazing. Such could be stuck to surfaces and manually detonated to do ~140 damage. Unlike most deployables, you could only have one active at a time, to prevent C4 from overshadowing the EOC R and EOC P. To detonate, select the charge and hit the deploy key. Hit the deploy key again to drop another, so long as you have enough equipped.

I'd love that. In Planetside 2, C4 is an excellent, versatile weapon. I would not be opposed to seeing it make a leap over to Hawken.

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View PostEliteShooter, on September 20 2014 - 08:51 PM, said:

I eat cats too. Does that interest you_

#7 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted August 03 2014 - 03:50 PM

i stiil don't understand why devs not change blast radius between HE and detonator.
imo, it would be like this:

1) HE - ~80 dmg, high blast radius (like KLA or more), ricochet.
2) Detonator - ~70 dmg, small blast radius (like tow or slightly less), manual detonation

problem solved. use a surgical strike with detonator, or trying make a big kaboom with hand grenade. easy.

#8 Infyrno

Infyrno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow

Posted August 03 2014 - 10:41 PM

View Postnepacaka, on August 03 2014 - 03:50 PM, said:

i stiil don't understand why devs not change blast radius between HE and detonator.

2) Detonator - ~70 dmg, small blast radius (like tow or slightly less), manual detonation

problem solved. use a surgical strike with detonator, or trying make a big kaboom with hand grenade. easy.
I love how straight and to-the point you are, also.  I approve of these ideas

#9 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted August 21 2014 - 07:45 PM

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on August 03 2014 - 03:39 PM, said:

View PostSoldierHobbes11, on August 03 2014 - 01:58 PM, said:

That would be amazing. Such could be stuck to surfaces and manually detonated to do ~140 damage. Unlike most deployables, you could only have one active at a time, to prevent C4 from overshadowing the EOC R and EOC P. To detonate, select the charge and hit the deploy key. Hit the deploy key again to drop another, so long as you have enough equipped.

I'd love that. In Planetside 2, C4 is an excellent, versatile weapon. I would not be opposed to seeing it make a leap over to Hawken.

Strictly speaking, mines aren't a deployable per se and most weaponized deployables only allow 1 at a time.

Which is idiotic. It's not like the turrets are useless enough as it is.

#10 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted August 21 2014 - 07:50 PM

View PostAmidatelion, on August 21 2014 - 07:45 PM, said:

Strictly speaking, mines aren't a deployable per se and most weaponized deployables only allow 1 at a time.

Which is idiotic. It's not like the turrets are useless enough as it is.

You're right. I don't know why I said that. :P

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View PostEliteShooter, on September 20 2014 - 08:51 PM, said:

I eat cats too. Does that interest you_

#11 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationFitting my Incinerator's cockpit with neon lights and a 7.1 surround sound speaker system at Loui's Garage, Illal

Posted August 27 2014 - 10:15 AM

To me, I don't see the difference between a grenade launched by the grenade launcher and an HE Charge. They look the same and also deal somewhat the same amount of damage! It might just be simpler to get a Vanguard or Infiltrator or some other that uses a grenade launcher...
Posted Image

#12 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted August 28 2014 - 09:29 AM

View PostCapAllan, on August 27 2014 - 10:15 AM, said:

To me, I don't see the difference between a grenade launched by the grenade launcher and an HE Charge. They look the same and also deal somewhat the same amount of damage! It might just be simpler to get a Vanguard or Infiltrator or some other that uses a grenade launcher...

Oh no, they don't deal nearly the same amount of damage. The HE grenade does 65 damage, and the GL does nearly double that. 125 to be exact.
Posted Image

#13 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationFitting my Incinerator's cockpit with neon lights and a 7.1 surround sound speaker system at Loui's Garage, Illal

Posted August 28 2014 - 11:04 AM

View PostSilk_Sk, on August 28 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:

View PostCapAllan, on August 27 2014 - 10:15 AM, said:

Oh no, they don't deal nearly the same amount of damage. The HE grenade does 65 damage, and the GL does nearly double that. 125 to be exact.

So practically speaking, the HE grenade is useless! I rather have a mech with a grenade launcher than get an HE Grenade that you can't even aim properly!
Posted Image

#14 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted August 28 2014 - 12:51 PM

View Postnepacaka, on August 03 2014 - 03:50 PM, said:

The Great Chief of the Bear Tribe to the East has spoken wise words to the Hawken Gods. If they are wise they shall heed his proposition with much gravity... for the Great Chief of the Bear Tribe is not to be taken lightly.

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

#15 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted September 04 2014 - 11:19 PM

Use to be a fun weapon before steam, i used it over the det just for the sake of variety. It would surprise some players too, obviously not cool enough in the current meta.

Posted Image

vR-Gaming

Raider Vids>>>Twitch Youtube<<<Raider Vids 2500mmr

Fuzzy Bunny Stats

#16 craftydus

craftydus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationIn The Uterus of Love

Posted September 05 2014 - 10:27 AM

View PostLoC_TR, on September 04 2014 - 11:19 PM, said:

Use to be a fun weapon before steam, obviously not cool enough in the current meta.

I'm so two thousand late.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users