HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Be more good at English.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted August 18 2014 - 10:31 AM

The title is ironic. It's bad English.

I don't speak any other languages fluently, though I do know scattered bits of some. I do happen to know English very, very well including grammar, punctuation, colloquial usages of terms, figurative language and whatnot.

The forum's primary language is English, and if it weren't I wouldn't bother posting this. Many members put a lot of effort translating from their native language to English, and sometimes things get lost in translation.

I can't translate things directly, and I'm sorry for that, but I can get the gist of what someone is saying. I'd like to offer some assistance to anyone looking to better their English skills. You can post here whatever issue you're having, or message me if you prefer.

I know the profiles are down, but to message you can still click the message icon and type my name in to make it work.
Posted Image

#2 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted August 18 2014 - 12:27 PM

Posted Image

#3 Mechfarmer

Mechfarmer

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted August 19 2014 - 07:09 AM

SO u waaaanaaa say, ull be our translator :D Ahahaha

#4 hoghead

hoghead

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • LocationShow Me State

Posted August 19 2014 - 08:07 AM

Iv'e done a little traveling in my time, but the most humbled Iv'e been was when I went to Israel and Europe.....most folks there spoke more than one language, and effortlessly...kind of takes away some of that American arrogance, [me] :rolleyes: huh_ Our guide in Israel, his name was Mickey, was about seventy years old and taught himself four languages. Although, sometimes they can use a word with a common meaning in the wrong spot.  I remember stopping at a buffet with him and trying to decide what to eat in a foreign country.  He pointed several of his favorites....one being "chicken chests"  HA ..didn't sound too appetizing.

Years ago my friend from Panama told me about one our neighbor couples that had broken up....except she said they had "cracked up".....made sense to both of us, but had to laugh.  Shouldn't be laughing at any of them with my uni-lang. skills.

Anyway, I just  wish more of youse peoples talked more American!!!! -_- :)  [ It would make it easier on me ... cause you knows its all about me!!!!] ;) I just want to say I have a lot of respect for those who can and have taken the time to learn other languages.

Edited by hoghead, August 20 2014 - 05:10 AM.

#5 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted August 19 2014 - 08:11 PM

View PostMechfarmer, on August 19 2014 - 07:09 AM, said:

SO u waaaanaaa say, ull be our translator :D Ahahaha
Ahh, no. I can't speak other languages fluently unfortunately, though I'd love to. I'm just saying if anyone has any questions regarding the English language, or wants to learn the proper way to say certain phrases, I'd be happy to help.

View Posthoghead, on August 19 2014 - 08:07 AM, said:

Iv'e done a little traveling in my time, but the most humbled Iv'e been was when I went to Israel and Europe.....most folks there spoke more than one language, and effortlessly...kind of takes away some of that American arrogance, [me] :rolleyes: huh_ Our guide in Israel, his name was Mickey, was about seventy years old and taught himself four languages. Although, sometimes they can use a word with a common meaning in the wrong spot.  I remember stopping at a buffet with him and trying to decide what to eat in a foreign country.  He pointed several of his favorites....one being "chicken chests"  HA ..didn't sound too appetizing.

Years ago my friend from Panama told me about one our neighbor couples that had broken up....except she said they had "cracked up".....made sense to both of us, but had to laugh.  Shouldn't be laughing at any of them with my uni-lang. skills.

Anyway, I just  wish more of youse peoples talked more American!!!! -_- :)  [ It would make it easier on me ... cause you knows its all about me!!!!] ;) I just want to say I have a lot of respect for those who can and have taken the time to learn other languages.
It's really quite absurd how mono-linguistic the US is compared to the rest of the world.
Posted Image

#6 Barbie_in_a_Mech

Barbie_in_a_Mech

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationHidden in your bedroom, gathering intel for your sister.

Posted August 19 2014 - 09:33 PM

Eh...  French is my native language, and when non-natives speak it well enough to be understood in a conversation, I am greatly impressed every time.
But I always wonder why they bother.

I can't blame those from the US for being monolingual.  I would be like that too if I lived there.
I sometimes study Korean for fun, and since it's my only reason to study it, my progress is almost null.

Posted Image

#7 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted August 19 2014 - 10:04 PM

I speak 5: Tunisian-Arabic (which is a broken Arabic) - Arabic (used for formal stuff) - English - French - German (not the best, but still fine).

Posted Image

#8 Barbie_in_a_Mech

Barbie_in_a_Mech

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationHidden in your bedroom, gathering intel for your sister.

Posted August 20 2014 - 03:54 AM

You're lucky, you can get angry in 5 different languages!  :D

Posted Image

#9 hoghead

hoghead

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • LocationShow Me State

Posted August 20 2014 - 05:06 AM

Posted ImageIf I needed to learn a second language here[in the States] it should be  Spanish, that same friend from Panama told me to learn a language well you should try to speak it everyday,[ common sense ] B) .

#10 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted August 20 2014 - 05:22 AM

Bilingual creep: my great granddaughter learned to speak spanish--in preschool.
I spoke it in 1st to 3rd grade, out in Calif, nearly 60 years ago. Not why you'd think either: immigration quotas kept jewish folks living over the border in Baja, but they worked and sent their kids to school in Chula Vista/SD. So, everybody spoke spanish, english, and hebrew. I knew how to insult your mother in 3 languages before I was 6 years old.
:D

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#11 hoghead

hoghead

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • LocationShow Me State

Posted August 20 2014 - 07:08 AM

Why would you want to insult my mother_ :mellow:

#12 Infyrno

Infyrno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow

Posted August 20 2014 - 10:46 AM

View PostEM1O, on August 20 2014 - 05:22 AM, said:

Bilingual creep: my great granddaughter learned to speak spanish--in preschool.
I spoke it in 1st to 3rd grade, out in Calif, nearly 60 years ago. Not why you'd think either: immigration quotas kept jewish folks living over the border in Baja, but they worked and sent their kids to school in Chula Vista/SD. So, everybody spoke spanish, english, and hebrew. I knew how to insult your mother in 3 languages before I was 6 years old.
:D
Wth u have a great granddaughter o.O

#13 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted August 24 2014 - 12:33 PM

it looks like ... I need post all my messages here if i want write somthing ...

p.s. "somthing" - is not a mistake :D

#14 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 12:42 PM

I speak 5: Tunisian-Arabic (which is a broken Arabic) - Arabic (used for formal stuff) - English - French - German (not the best, but still fine).
but... can you do like this_

- + Ь = Ъ
О + I = Ф
Ь + I = Ы
R + mirror magic = Я
Ш + , = Щ

yeah, i always know that i'm cool... :lol:

Edited by nepacaka, August 24 2014 - 12:42 PM.

#15 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 02:31 PM

View Postnepacaka, on August 24 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

it looks like ... I need post all my messages here if i want write somthing ...

p.s. "somthing" - is not a mistake :D
You're welcome to, though I always enjoy seeing how you get your point across in your own English. Why is "somthing" not a mistake_
Posted Image

#16 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts

Posted August 25 2014 - 01:46 AM

Why is "somthing" not a mistake_
because it's my own English xD

#17 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted August 25 2014 - 06:01 PM

I can speak English and German fluently, can understand French, Spanish, Dutch, Italian and Danish (in order of comprehension) if spoken slowly.

Within a week of being in a French, Spanish or Italian speaking situation I should be able to speak them again. I just, uh, kinda, forgot. I do that a lot.

Tried learning Japanese for a while, made some progress, then finals hit and that was the end of that.

I also studied linguistics for a bit, so that's how I can understand where some problems speaking English come from. It's also technically my second language.

Anyways, tl;dr I can into helps too

#18 I2DI

I2DI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationWonderland

Posted August 27 2014 - 12:47 AM

I can speak 3 languages fluently and English is basically my third one and it has literally nothing to do with 2 other ones. So it's pretty hard for me sometimes to speak English, 'cos i use it mostly while gaming. Also i played not only with americans. I played with guys from Canada, Sweden, North Korea, Australia, UK and bunch of other european countries. So my pronunciation is a bit broken. But it's really a lot of fun then people are trying to guess where i'm from by my acсent.
And also my gramar can SUCK sometimes.

Edited by I2DI, August 27 2014 - 12:48 AM.

You better shouldn't do !!Science!!, 'cos i will bring it to you myself.
References to the God of References.

#19 Zdragow

Zdragow

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • LocationDrowning in energy drinks

Posted August 27 2014 - 06:32 AM

I'm fluent in English and am nearly fluent in Spanish. The only issue is that I haven't spoken a lick of Spanish in years, so I've lost quite a bit of my vocab. D:

If I needed to speak Spanish anytime soon all I'd need is a couple of days and my dictionary and I'd be pretty much good again.

In another strange twist I may also be learning a bit of Arabic soon.

#20 craftydus

craftydus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationIn The Uterus of Love

Posted August 27 2014 - 06:38 AM

I speak douchebag, it has really helped me through many years as a working musician in bars and nightclubs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users