HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Forcing Myself to Improve via Mech Choice

Game

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 mmm_yep

mmm_yep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted August 21 2014 - 02:22 PM

Your right, Flifang, but it's T32, not T38.

In addition to your notes, I like to charge it up while waiting to aim my shot; even if I'm not behind cover.

Edited by mmm_yep, August 21 2014 - 02:31 PM.

#22 ThatDamnedBoedy

ThatDamnedBoedy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted August 21 2014 - 11:21 PM

View PostFlifang, on August 21 2014 - 01:53 PM, said:

The biggest thing I have found from using the T38 (and after looking at the stat sheets) that you really should only charge it up if you are,
1. Playing peekaboo
2.Using I as the first hit on a target with your secondary to engage them (best when they don't know you're there)
3. If your target is out of effective uncharged T38 range (in most scenarios don't do this anyway)
This is because you lose dps by charging it in cqc combat and you are greatly punished if you miss
If I remember correctly uncharged it does 70 damage if in close range and all the shots hit.

Yes it is pathetic and even worse on the G2 Raider which desperately needs either more dps or "1-volley jesus" burst damage.  SAdly its stuck reloading or charging more than fighting and with teh pace of a hawken match...it sadly can't keep up in a game designed around speed as the biggest advantage.  Any scout will wrecking shot your face.  The regular raider at least can walk around at a decent pace and keep up with a team as well as withdraw in good order.  Plus it has a more flexible weapons system...and a secondary that reloads like a half second faster.  I don't think the increased damage on the KLA XT is worth it...its practically unusable.

Oh and Hobbes video of him fighting in the G2 Raider vs npc's isn't a good example of what it is like to play that mech vs actual people who gang up and chase you.  Those NPC's are far more merciful and filled with attention deficit disorder...whereas most players seem autistically driven to fire their tow missiles simultaneously at you.  *shrugs*  TOW > KLA no matter what any one says.

#23 m0bieduck

m0bieduck

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 12:22 AM

just use pred

#24 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationEmpire of the Sun

Posted August 24 2014 - 05:36 AM

My overall strategy for improving my game play was to learn to play every mech, but not only play each mech, level each one to 30 (now rank 6).  I figured by the time I've done that, I should have a good idea how each mech and weapons work.  It will also gave me TONS of practice with my aim.

You seem to describe two weapons systems, the sustained Tracking on the Zerker and the Burst one-shot of the Raider.   You were not clear on which one your aim needs work on or both.  You started talking about the Zerker and said you were missing alot of your shots. Since Zerker has a sustained primary all you have to do is focus on keeping your crosshairs on target, unless you were talking about missing a lot with your secondary Tow_

Then you switch to a Raider which has Burst weapons.  I'm not sure how using burst weapons (one-shot) is going to help your aim when it comes to using sustained weapons.

If you hit a skill ceiling at 1800, but want to be in the 2000's then just hang in there and be willing to tank your MMR.  With each engagement, even if you lose, focus on staying calm in Real life and steadying your crosshairs on the target. Side dodge is best because your weapons are still active, forward boost will make them deactivate and you have a split second pause before you can use them, something easily overlooked in the heat of battle.

So, not sure that choosing a specific mech will help your aim the most. You first must recognizing the difference in sustained and burst weapons, then choose the mech you like for your play style.  Once you feel you mastered one style then you can switch to a new mech or weapon.  

Regardless, I do recommend leveling each mech to Max.  It will force you to stay with the mech even if you suck with it and its weapons, but eventually you should start improving and even dominating others.  Well that was my experience and it helped me with my overall game play and aim.

Edited by BurnsHot, August 24 2014 - 05:42 AM.

#25 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas, baby.

Posted August 24 2014 - 06:15 AM

TwentyFirstPilot, on August 21 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

I hate the Assault because ... its secondary has so little utility ...

Really_ TOW has no utility_
Posted Image

#26 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted August 24 2014 - 06:22 AM

View PostCall_Me_Ishmael, on August 24 2014 - 06:15 AM, said:

I did not say that the TOW has no utility. Please, don't strawman my arguments.

I did say that it has little utility function when compared to a secondary like the EOC Predator and the Raider's clamp.

Edited by TwentyFirstPilot, August 24 2014 - 07:04 AM.

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View PostEliteShooter, on September 20 2014 - 08:51 PM, said:

I eat cats too. Does that interest you_

#27 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 06:47 AM

After reading Call_Me_Ishmael and TwentyFirstPilot comments I have another theory that I have not heard mentioned here.

To the OP, maybe its not your aim that's the problem.  It could be all about your HP/Armor.  I love the speed of an A class, but if a B or C class is getting the better of me while I'm playing a Zerker then I just switch to the Assault mech and all of a sudden I'm not losing every engagement.

Its basically the upgrade to the Zerker.  Think about it, when two players are in the same skill level, then its the Armor that gives you the Greater advantage.  You could be going up against similarly skilled players in B or C class but their Health pools are just too much of an advantage regardless of your aim.

@TwentyFirstPilot The Assault mech is a perfect choice for those who main with Zerker and come up against more B or C classes that they can't seem to beat.

Just something to think about.

#28 bad_wolf2013

bad_wolf2013

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted August 24 2014 - 07:06 AM

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on August 24 2014 - 06:22 AM, said:

It has little utility function compare to a secondary like the EOC Predator, and the Raider's clamp.
And GL, it is a load of fun on grenadier, once you get the spammy thoughts out of your mind. TOW is a bit too easy to use, lower blast radius than GL and no bounce, reduces it's utility for hitting around corners.
Eoc pred is better for ambush, see someone coming through a corridor place two on the ground, if the enemy is a good player, he will jump over it and he will be an easy target for alpha to the face tactics, if he is a bad player, he will die get hit by the mines and then you get an alpha, even better.
Corsair just pure fun with its damage, it may not have the fire rate, but while doing corner poke, it's easy to wait it out.

Don't get me wrong TOW may be better overall, but that just makes me hate it on assault. Easy to primary, easy to use secondary, just bad.

#29 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 07:08 AM

View Postbad_wolf2013, on August 24 2014 - 07:06 AM, said:

It has little utility function compare to a secondary like the EOC Predator, and the Raider's clamp.
And GL, it is a load of fun on grenadier, once you get the spammy thoughts out of your mind. TOW is a bit too easy to use, lower blast radius than GL and no bounce, reduces it's utility for hitting around corners.
Eoc pred is better for ambush, see someone coming through a corridor place two on the ground, if the enemy is a good player, he will jump over it and he will be an easy target for alpha to the face tactics, if he is a bad player, he will die get hit by the mines and then you get an alpha, even better.
Corsair just pure fun with its damage, it may not have the fire rate, but while doing corner poke, it's easy to wait it out.

Don't get me wrong TOW may be better overall, but that just makes me hate it on assault. Easy to primary, easy to use secondary, just bad.

GL is great. It's so much more fun to use than the straight firing TOW.

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

#30 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 09:06 AM

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on August 21 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

I hate the Assault because it doesn't do anything. Its ability is meant to keep your butt safe if you can't manage your heat, ........

Try looking for the benefits of the Assault mech's abilities instead of focusing in on the negatives.  It is too easy to see the obvious gripe that its only useful to those players who can't handle their heat.

I don't think about it like that at all.  It's great for allowing you to engage more than one enemy.  A lot of times you will find yourself in a situation where you just finished off someone and another enemy shows up.  Sometimes the enemy is full health sometimes not.  Having that ability allows you to keep fighting without skipping a beat.

Just something to think about.....

#31 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 10:38 AM

I did say that it has little utility function when compared to a secondary like the EOC Predator and the Raider's
clamp.

Defensive much_

Let me put my AJK suit on for a moment:  A 'Strawman Argument' is not the same as 'Argument taken out of context'.  I didn't even take it out of context - I did extend your argument to the natural conclusion, and asked if that was what you really intended.

Not the same as 'more useful' or 'having more utility', but I suspect this is what you'd intended with the first statement.
Posted Image

#32 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 11:59 AM

View PostCall_Me_Ishmael, on August 24 2014 - 10:38 AM, said:

I did say that it has little utility function when compared to a secondary like the EOC Predator and the Raider's
clamp.

Defensive much_

Let me put my AJK suit on for a moment:  A 'Strawman Argument' is not the same as 'Argument taken out of context'.  I didn't even take it out of context - I did extend your argument to the natural conclusion, and asked if that was what you really intended.

Not the same as 'more useful' or 'having more utility', but I suspect this is what you'd intended with the first statement.

You misrepresented what I had to say, then you attacked that misrepresentation. That's what a strawman argument is.

My argument was finalized. I said that the TOW has little utility. I can't see how saying it has no utility is that argument's natural conclusion.

I find the GL more interesting because it is more useful. It can be bounced off walls, rolled into groups of enemies, et cetera.

Edit: I might have misunderstood your original post as being sarcastic. If you didn't intend for that feeling to come across, then I've made a mistake and am sorry to have bothered you.

Edited by TwentyFirstPilot, August 24 2014 - 12:11 PM.

#33 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 02:11 PM

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on August 24 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

clamp.

Defensive much_

You misrepresented what I had to say, then you attacked that misrepresentation. That's what a strawman argument is.

Nope.  I edited out what was unrelated, then extended it to it's logical conclusion, then asked if you really meant the statement.  I didn't extend it to an absurd conclusion (all weapons other than grenade or KLA are of no utility).

I spent the weekend with a very good lawyer (he was not working as a lawyer), and I guess it left a residue on me.
Posted Image

#34 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 02:36 PM

View PostCall_Me_Ishmael, on August 24 2014 - 02:11 PM, said:

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on August 24 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

clamp.

Defensive much_

Nope.  I edited out what was unrelated, then extended it to it's logical conclusion, then asked if you really meant the statement.  I didn't extend it to an absurd conclusion (all weapons other than grenade or KLA are of no utility).

I spent the weekend with a very good lawyer (he was not working as a lawyer), and I guess it left a residue on me.

Ah, I see. However, your conclusion still puzzles me a bit.

Did you misread my post (The TOW has so little utility) as: 'The TOW has no little utility'_

#35 Barbie_in_a_Mech

Barbie_in_a_Mech

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationHidden in your bedroom, gathering intel for your sister.

Posted August 24 2014 - 03:01 PM

I'll butt in and say that Ishmael probably did misinterpret the comment, thinking TwentyFirst meant that TOW has no utility.
Afterwards, he understood.  Then he started saying that TOW has more than "little" utility.

...and I agree.  It can reliably finish off runners from a distance, it's excellent in corner poking, the range is flexible at all times, and it can even be used with relative ease against air targets even at some distance.  All that is more than "so little utility".

But is it more boring than the corsair and GL_  Hell yeah!  :D

Posted Image

#36 JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationMO

Posted August 25 2014 - 06:38 AM

Playing and getting at least decent with every mech relevant to the current meta will help you a lot, not only because you'll improve technically as a player, but also because you'll be more familiar with particular loadouts when you go up against them. I don't know how practicing with relatively bad mechs or weapons is going to do you any favors, especially since you likely won't be sticking with them after you improve. If you're trying to improve your aim and keep from rushing shots in clutch situations, you can't really go wrong with Slug SS or, for a CQC mech, Flak/HEAT Scout. Flak Brawler is also a good option for the latter, but it's a lot more forgiving of bad aim since it has so much armor.

#37 bad_wolf2013

bad_wolf2013

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted August 25 2014 - 07:59 AM

I agree with jeff, try all the mechs, if something feels like your style, try to improve with it don't be afraid to tank your mmr, find a mech you enjoy and you feel like you can learn. And don't look back.

#38 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted September 14 2014 - 12:02 PM

Learn the brawler so piloting heavy mechs becomes easier. Predator is another good one to practice dueling in, because dueling in one is pretty damn hard. So dueling in most other mechs will feel easier once you learn to do it in a predator. Still, the best mech that'll really get you out of your comfort zone is the G2 raider. Slow like the brawler and just as unforgiving as the predator. You can knock out two birds with one stone, that way. That, and once you learn the ways of the fat raider, you can't help but scream "GIT EEN MAH BELLEH!!!" Every time you hit the G2 blitz.

Edited by SoldierHobbes11, September 14 2014 - 12:04 PM.

Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#39 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted September 14 2014 - 12:16 PM

Necro.........  Plus the OP never returned to give any feedback.  So what was the point of this entire Thread anyway_

Edited by BurnsHot, September 14 2014 - 12:16 PM.

#40 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted September 14 2014 - 12:23 PM

View PostBurnsHot, on September 14 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

Necro.........  Plus the OP never returned to give any feedback.  So what was the point of this entire Thread anyway_
Oh... CURSE MY HELPFUL NATURE!!!!!!
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users