HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Predator Awareness - Let's Improve It!

Community

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 BlackJak

BlackJak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted September 14 2014 - 08:12 PM

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]My experience using the Predator Mech hasn't been very positive so I wanted to see if others are having a similar experience. I also wanted to have the issues (or strengths) made available to the developers as well as those who are considering buying it.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]My primary goal is to encourage as many people as possible to try this mech and offer feedback here in this thread to the developers in hopes that the mech unit can be reworked in the game to address issues and concerns.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]My brief assessment is this:[/font]
  • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]It is under-powered in weaponry. The weapons do not deal enough damage compared to other mechs in this price range. This didn't put the beat-down as well as I expected and not nearly as nicely as it did in the opening scene for the game.[/font]
  • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]The price is disproportional to effectiveness in battle--It's too expensive for the battle power.[/font]
  • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]In stalker mode, the mech needs to be more invisible.[/font]
  • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]The learning curve is high.  I've been playing it for two weeks and have yet to get it operating smoothly and effectively against enemies.[/font]
  • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]The classification should perhaps be Assassination not Defense[/font]
  • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]It's good at laying traps[/font]
  • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]The frame is well designed and slick[/font]
  • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]I would like to see additional weapons choices made available with this frame.[/font]
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Does anyone else have trouble as well or are you having success with it on the battlefield_ Do you feel it is priced too high_[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Let's put some focus on this please:  I want many comments on this thread so that we can all benefit and improve the game.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Thanks![/font]

#2 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted September 14 2014 - 08:37 PM

Read the forums, search Predator in title field.

In short, you are wrong. The Predator takes more skill to play, but is incredibly powerful when mastered. Look up guides by Lightangel112 and Meraple.

The Pred is probably the hardest mech to be competent at and one of the hardest to master. You really need to put in the time to get good at because its mechanics are so different from other mechs and so unforgiving.

Still, I dare you to go up against Meraple or even lilblackraincloud or TwentyFirstPilot. They'll turn you around right quick.

#3 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted September 14 2014 - 08:39 PM

-It is under-powered in weaponry. The weapons do not deal enough damage compared to other mechs in this price range. This didn't put the
- In stalker mode, the mech needs to be more invisible.
- I would like to see additional weapons choices made available with this frame.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted September 14 2014 - 08:43 PM

View PostAmidatelion, on September 14 2014 - 08:37 PM, said:

The Pred is probably the hardest mech to be competent at and one of the hardest to master.

You fuzzy bunny kidding me ... 1 primary shot takes 1/3 of an A's health ... tell me what's hard about playing that thing ... unlimited cloak, ability to instakill A's and almost B's, fast ability recharge, high DPS and AOE mines, heat vision, cloak cheeze (and you know what I'm talking about) ...

Like, tell me for god's sake what's HARD about playing it, What makes it ONE OF THE HARDEST TO MASTER ... What could convince me that's it's harder to master than SS and infil_

Posted Image

#5 Milithistorian

Milithistorian

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted September 14 2014 - 08:46 PM

Come back when you have more experience, young grasshopper. You are not wise enough yet.

View PostEliteShooter, on September 14 2014 - 08:43 PM, said:

The Pred is probably the hardest mech to be competent at and one of the hardest to master.

You fuzzy bunny kidding me ... 1 primary shot takes 1/3 of an A's health ... tell me what's hard about playing that thing ... unlimited cloak, ability to instakill A's and almost B's, fast ability recharge, high DPS and AOE mines, heat vision, cloak cheeze (and you know what I'm talking about) ...

Like, tell me for god's sake what's HARD about playing it, What makes it ONE OF THE HARDEST TO MASTER ... What could convince me that's it's harder to master than SS and infil_

The pred is just different. The weapons are unfamiliar in use and playstyle to most players, so that's where all the complaints come from.
Military Historian, Comedian(Master's in Puns)
Find me most anywhere as Milithistorian or something of the sort.

Yeah. Best sig ever, I know.

#6 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted September 14 2014 - 08:51 PM

https://community.pl...predator-guide/

Everything and anything you will ever need to learn about playing the Predator the right way

Either way, Predator is incredibly viable and very powerful. You just need to learn to play it better.

Edited by Silverfire, September 15 2014 - 05:47 AM.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#7 Zycon

Zycon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted September 14 2014 - 09:41 PM

Just started playing pred, I'm enjoying it but...

Posted Image

#8 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted September 14 2014 - 09:53 PM

View PostBlackJak, on September 14 2014 - 08:12 PM, said:

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]My experience using the Predator Mech hasn't been very positive so I wanted to see if others are having a similar experience. I also wanted to have the issues (or strengths) made available to the developers as well as those who are considering buying it.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]My primary goal is to encourage as many people as possible to try this mech and offer feedback here in this thread to the developers in hopes that the mech unit can be reworked in the game to address issues and concerns.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]My brief assessment is this:[/font]
  • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]It is under-powered in weaponry. The weapons do not deal enough damage compared to other mechs in this price range. This didn't put the beat-down as well as I expected and not nearly as nicely as it did in the opening scene for the game.[/font]
  • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]The price is disproportional to effectiveness in battle--It's too expensive for the battle power.[/font]
  • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]In stalker mode, the mech needs to be more invisible.[/font]
  • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]The learning curve is high.  I've been playing it for two weeks and have yet to get it operating smoothly and effectively against enemies.[/font]
  • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]The classification should perhaps be Assassination not Defense[/font]
  • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]It's good at laying traps[/font]
  • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]The frame is well designed and slick[/font]
  • [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]I would like to see additional weapons choices made available with this frame.[/font]
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Does anyone else have trouble as well or are you having success with it on the battlefield_ Do you feel it is priced too high_[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Let's put some focus on this please:  I want many comments on this thread so that we can all benefit and improve the game.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Thanks![/font]

1. Breacher and EOC R hit like trucks. They do have long reloads. Take that time to hide behind objects. Pop out from behind cover, unload. Drop EOC P mines around your enemy, detonate them. Pop out, unload. Repeat until you've smashed your enemy to little fiery pieces.

2. In the right hands, the Predator is one of the most terrifyingly effective mechs in the game. Most players suck with it, but most players pick it up as a gimmick mech (INFINITE CLOAK, YAY!), and they don't take the time to learn it.

3. Cloak is pretty visible, I'll give you that. However, you should be using thermal vision to avoid LOS. Keep the backs of your enemies towards you, know if it's safe to walk over a hill. The cloak effect is really only a safeguard in case someone glances your way, and you happen to be in their peripheral vision. It's also great for causing havoc in situations where bullets and TOWs are flying everywhere.

In short, stalker mode is a positioning tool, not a cloak.

4. Not a bad thing. Again, this mech can be terrifying effective in the right hands. If it were easier to play, it would be very OP, especially in the hands of those pilots that can already wreak shop with its current iteration.

5. Classifications really aren't that important. Any mech can do any thing if its pilot is good enough.

6. Pred can lay traps, but if you delegate it to that role, you might as well not play it. You'll only be a hinderance to your team.

7. Patrick chassis is pretty!

8. Breacher and EOC R are great, T32 is easy to use, but a bad match for the Predator. I'd like to see the T32 replaced with some other weapon.

If you're truly interested in learning the Predator, add me on Steam and I can give you a few pointers ingame. My static handle is Twenty_First_Pilot .

Read the forums, search Predator in title field.

In short, you are wrong. The Predator takes more skill to play, but is incredibly powerful when mastered. Look up guides by Lightangel112 and Meraple.

The Pred is probably the hardest mech to be competent at and one of the hardest to master. You really need to put in the time to get good at because its mechanics are so different from other mechs and so unforgiving.

Still, I dare you to go up against Meraple or even lilblackraincloud or TwentyFirstPilot. They'll turn you around right quick.

Can confirm, Meraple, lilblack, and myself are awesome.

View PostEliteShooter, on September 14 2014 - 08:43 PM, said:

This is wrongness and you're hurting my soul.

Pred's max DPS is 169-- and that's with the T32 bolt, a weapon that most Predator mains consider a terrible fit for the mech. For comparison, the Assault's max DPS is 177, and the Incinerator's max DPS is 210.

Pred's max burst (with the EOC R) is 221. Hardly enough to instakill an A class. Mine traps, you say_ Creating an instakill mine trap means forgoing your secondary until that trap is sprung. Of course, that's assuming your enemy isn't smart enough to avoid a giant, red, glowing cluster of mines. Because of this, I don't even use mine traps as anything other than indicators that someone has passed a position. For the most part, anyways. I will spray mines all over a surface if I think some idiot is going to boost his butt over them in some reasonable amount of time (10-15 seconds).

The Breacher does do a lot of burst damage. It also has the reload speed of a secondary, and the highest spread of any shotgun in the game. It is hard to use, because you can't spam it like you can spam any other primary in the game.

Cloak is volatile, can be disabled by a miniflak Scout across the map, so long as he can make one of his pellets connect.

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#9 bad_wolf2013

bad_wolf2013

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted September 15 2014 - 01:52 AM

I say that rocketeer and g2s are overpriced. And brawler, one of the cheapest mechs is also one of the best. Price has nothing to do with viability

Edited by bad_wolf2013, September 15 2014 - 01:52 AM.

#10 Merplex

Merplex

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted September 15 2014 - 06:42 AM

It is under-powered in weaponry. The weapons do not deal enough damage compared to other mechs in this price range. This didn't put the beat-down as well as I expected and not nearly as nicely as it did in the opening scene for the game.

LOLNOPE
Breacher is one of the most versatile weapons in the entire game.
Ontop of that it's pretty much a Secondary in a Primary Slot.
I'd love that on some of my other mechs.

The price is disproportional to effectiveness in battle--It's too expensive for the battle power.
In stalker mode, the mech needs to be more invisible.

It's hard to use in combat, not low on performance.

The cloak's not meant to ''cloak'' you in the traditional sense of the word.
Like TwentyFirst said, it's more about the Stalker Vision than anything else.

The learning curve is high.  I've been playing it for two weeks and have yet to get it operating smoothly and effectively against enemies.

Yup.
Took a week for me to get it to above-average operation, and from then on it was a slow march to the top.
Back when I made those Pred vids I wasn't even that good, tbh.
I've learned alot more between then and now, including a way better aim; I hit some impossible shots by now.

The classification should perhaps be Assassination not Defense

The classification all depends on how you play it.
I alternate playstyles throughout the match,
as Predator is easily the most versatile mech in the entire game if you only count one Primary and not all three.

It's good at laying traps

[REDACTED]

What about you stop doing that and actually be useful to the team.

The frame is well designed and slick

That's like the first correct thing I've seen from you.

I would like to see additional weapons choices made available with this frame.

Replace the T32-BOLT with something else.
Preferable something that'd give it a third playstyle and not some lameass derpfuck weapon which has been made by a 3 year old.

Does anyone else have trouble as well or are you having success with it on the battlefield_ Do you feel it is priced too high_

Doing exceedingly well, price is right.

I seem to have you on my friendslist somehow in-game.
Hit me up on Steam and I'll show you some more advanced stuff if you'd like, name's [sD] Meraple there.
Posted Image

#11 Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationBeing a Turnip.

Posted September 15 2014 - 06:58 AM

I agree with Merplex and TwentyFirstPilot here.

There's one more thing I'd like to point out, which is about the price. I reckon there are two reasons the dev's priced it so high.

1) It's OP when you know how to use it. A mech as OP as pred (In the right hands, of course) for about 4K_ Lolnope.

2) Because it's so expensive, newbies won't buy it and then complain that it's bad because they don't know how to use it. Instead, they'll spend their hard-earned HC on something like a Brawler, which (In my opinion) is much easier to use. Because the price is so high, you're  more likely to get someone who knows the ins and outs of HAWKEN buying it, meaning they might look up a guide on the forums or something if they're finding it hard to use.

Edited by Miscellaneous, September 15 2014 - 06:58 AM.

Posted ImageWhoever said Turnips couldn't play Video Games was wrong. Probably.
Spoiler

#12 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted September 15 2014 - 07:02 AM

View PostMiscellaneous, on September 15 2014 - 06:58 AM, said:

I agree with Merplex and TwentyFirstPilot here.

There's one more thing I'd like to point out, which is about the price. I reckon there are two reasons the dev's priced it so high.

1) It's OP when you know how to use it. A mech as OP as pred (In the right hands, of course) for about 4K_ Lolnope.

2) Because it's so expensive, newbies won't buy it and then complain that it's bad because they don't know how to use it. Instead, they'll spend their hard-earned HC on something like a Brawler, which (In my opinion) is much easier to use. Because the price is so high, you're  more likely to get someone who knows the ins and outs of HAWKEN buying it, meaning they might look up a guide on the forums or something if they're finding it hard to use.

Pred's not OP. Skill is OP.

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

#13 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationEmpire of the Sun

Posted September 15 2014 - 07:03 AM

View PostMerplex, on September 15 2014 - 06:42 AM, said:

Hit me up on Steam and I'll show you some more advanced stuff if you'd like, name's [sD] Meraple there.

I hope he's still interested after the community GANKED him AJK style.

#14 craftydus

craftydus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationIn The Uterus of Love

Posted September 15 2014 - 07:16 AM

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on September 14 2014 - 09:53 PM, said:

the T32 bolt, a weapon that most Predator mains consider a terrible fit for the mech

It's the only mech I like the bolt on. I don't even have to chew the meat.

#15 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted September 15 2014 - 07:29 AM

View Postcraftydus, on September 15 2014 - 07:16 AM, said:

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on September 14 2014 - 09:53 PM, said:

the T32 bolt, a weapon that most Predator mains consider a terrible fit for the mech

It's the only mech I like the bolt on. I don't even have to chew the meat.

Well, the Bolt is only on two mechs, and I don't know how good of a Pred pilot you are.

View PostBurnsHot, on September 15 2014 - 07:03 AM, said:

You don't need to victimize the noob. If he doesn't like the way someone said something to him, he can say so himself.

Edited by TwentyFirstPilot, September 15 2014 - 07:43 AM.

#16 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted September 15 2014 - 07:52 AM

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on September 15 2014 - 07:29 AM, said:

You don't need to victimize the noob. If he doesn't like the way someone said something to him, he can say so himself.

I call it how I see it.  The damage has already been done.

You need to OPEN your eyes if you can't SEE what's going on here.

GANKED AJK style, a lowly "noob" for making his first post!

#17 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted September 15 2014 - 07:59 AM

View PostBurnsHot, on September 15 2014 - 07:52 AM, said:

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on September 15 2014 - 07:29 AM, said:

I call it how I see it.  The damage has already been done.

You need to OPEN your eyes if you can't SEE what's going on here.

GANKED AJK style, a lowly "noob" for making his first post!

Meraple spoke bluntly. That is all he did. No insults, no beatdowns, no ganks (for the record, getting ganked requires you to be outnumbered. Meraple was the only poster here who could possibly be construed as being rude).

Can we please end this conversation_ I don't want this thread derailed by victimization and drama, as so many other threads have been over the past few days.

Edited by TwentyFirstPilot, September 15 2014 - 07:59 AM.

#18 Liederkranz

Liederkranz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationRepública Separatista de Haedo

Posted September 15 2014 - 08:05 AM

Don't be so hard on BlackJak, guys. I agree with you all and in everything you answered to him, however I didn't see his post as a rant or as a complaint, I saw it as a desire for improvement for the community.

Black, I second what the guys told you. Take a look at the excellent guide wrote by Lightangel112 and Meraple, I learned a lot from them.
Cybrex: Predators hunt from above.
MessyBopzz: like jesus_
Cybrex: Better than jesus

Posted Image

#19 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted September 15 2014 - 08:19 AM

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on September 15 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

Meraple spoke bluntly. That is all he did. No insults, no beatdowns, no ganks (for the record, getting ganked requires you to be outnumbered. Meraple was the only poster here who could possibly be construed as being rude).

Can we please end this conversation_ I don't want this thread derailed by victimization and drama, as so many other threads have been over the past few days.

When someone new comes here and post for the first time and you have players responding with stupid Memes and then others dissecting his points and Proving him wrong while Laughing out loud (LOLNOPE) and saying the only thing he got right was the frame is well designed and slick, well it wouldn't be a stretch of anyone's imagination that the OP might feel that he was made to look STUPID.

My comment was basically I hope he wasn't offended by they way some players responded especially Meraple.  He laughs at him and then offers to help him.

I said what I had to say.  If you want this conversation to end, then I will leave it here.

#20 Prophet05

Prophet05

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted September 15 2014 - 08:23 AM

with all due respect blacklak predator is seriously made for stealth
u are supposed to stalk ur enemy not a head on fight
u should play a bit dirty
ie; u should steal kills
wait for some body to damage ur enemy if ur not sure of ur skills then move in and kill him when the time is right
learn to lay effective eoc predator mine traps
know to lure ur enamies into ur traps
dont use the breachers slug shot if ur are not sure of ur target. u must have real good precision to land the correct shot
if can let me know ur current level in the predator
if u can type in predator hawken in google search
den go to the link titled steamcommunity::guide::hawken: using predator mech
happy gaming ;) ;) ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Community

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users