HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Thoughts on Team Size

Game

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Team Sizes in Hawken (40 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of the team sizes in Hawken_

1. I want to see even bigger matches. (23 votes [41.07%])

Percentage of vote: 41.07%

2. 6v6 is perfect! (21 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

3. I'd like to see smaller teams. (8 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. I'm a lone wolf--FFA forever! (4 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

How large should teams be in the "standard" team play mode_

1. 7v7 or larger (9 votes [25.71%])

Percentage of vote: 25.71%

2. 6v6 is the sweet spot (21 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

3. 4v4 or 5v5 (5 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. 3v3 or smaller (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Are you interested in playing in or watching Hawken tournaments_

1. Yes (33 votes [94.29%])

Percentage of vote: 94.29%

2. No (2 votes [5.71%])

Percentage of vote: 5.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Tezkat

Tezkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 09:18 AM

The devs have been optimizing Hawken maps and game modes for 6v6 play. They consider that size to be a sweet spot in terms of the amount of action to keep track of. Based on my experience as a tester here, I can agree that 6v6 is a lot of fun. Larger matches could become chaotic and unwieldy. Smaller matches might be less exciting.

But I've been thinking about what that team size means for organized play, much less for competitive and professional teams. Finding 2-3 other people to play with at any given time is fairly easy, but it gets progressively harder and harder to completely fill up a team as the size grows.

Even for casuals, getting 6 players together at once is a challenge. For instance, when TF2's new 6-person PvE mode came out this summer, I remember how annoying it was to sit around wringing our friends' lists until a 6th buddy came out rather than opening up the server to random players who may or may not know what they're doing. (And you really needed that 6th...) We often spent more time organizing the game than playing it.

It's even worse in games like MechWarrior: Online where individual skill takes a backseat to teamwork. You drop into a game with a handful of people you trust on VOIP... and several randoms who are just as likely to get you killed. Hawken rewards individual skill a bit more, but even here padding with pick ups are likely to hold back an organized team.

Moving up into the competitive space, Hawken's primary game modes mean consistently maintaining a group six players to train--and a full dozen people to scrim.

Admittedly, World of Tanks demonstrates that even tournaments of 15v15 are viable, but I take a look at that and wonder how that could ever transition to competitive play in situations where serious money is involved. Wargaming compromised by introducing an eSports oriented 7v7 mode, but even that is really pushing it.

Let's face it: More players means more expenses. More salaries from teams. More ways to split a prize pool. More airfare, hotel rooms, and meals at offline events. On the tournament side, it translates into a smaller pool of potential competitors for each event and greater equipment costs.

When considering which new games in which to invest, even the most heavily capitalized professional gaming teams are going to take a look at Hawken 6v6 and think: Okay, that's 50% more expensive than, say, a 4-person Halo 4 team. Are they getting 50% more value for their investment_ Certainly, LoL and DotA 2 are potentially big enough that a number of pro teams have decided to take on the risk of buying 5-player teams. But a lot of that is Riot and Valve essentially funding the pro scene out of their own pockets, and whether that ultimately helps grow the scene or comes back to bite them in the ass remains to be seen. Is that how Meteor wants to spend their shiny new VC dollars_

Ultimately, it's a matter of optimizing fun vs logistics. As we haven't seen much variation in team size during closed testing and proper grouping support isn't even in the game yet, the discussion is all theoretical at this point. But it's definitely worth talking about now.

What do you guys think_

Edited by Tezkat, November 03 2012 - 10:47 AM.

Live Open Beta gameplay and commentary on twitch.tv/Tezkat...

More HAWKEN gameplay videos at Mech.TV.

#2 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 03 2012 - 09:37 AM

During the Alpha I got a bunch of small matches, 2v2-4v4 sized things. They were intense on a whole different level than bigger matches when I got paired with at least one person of my skill on the other team (if I didn't get paired with someone of my skill, it just ended up with a bunch of ragequitters).

I liked it quite a bit more because it meant I was fighting the best players a lot more often.
In 6v6s I often feel like I'm running around trying to put out fires, and shoring up defenses, which seems to keep me away from the enemy MVPs a lot more.
It's also quite a bit more... personal.
I like objective gametypes, but it's also nice not to have someone waltz in and cheapen/steal your kill or vice versa.
It's somehow more satisfying to capture an objective point when you've had to duel for it.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#3 NotKjell

NotKjell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 09:45 AM

I would like a 5th option there - let people mod/set their own servers how they like. I think this is best, keep standard hawken at 6v6 as it's a very nice balance and lends to the e-sport scene well. I would prefer to be able to watch the e-sport scene and know it's what I play everyday, not some weird very specific custom game. People like to play so many variations though. I never touch 32 man servers in tf2, or 64 in any of the BF series but I know that's a big attraction to some players. With a good mod community or just good server settings all player needs can be met.

Let's face it: More players means more expenses. More salaries from teams. More ways to split a prize pool. More airfare, hotel rooms, and meals at offline events. On the tournament side, it translates into a smaller pool of potential competitors for each event and greater equipment costs.

I just wanted to quote that as it's nice for someone to consider some of the ramifications of their own ideas. So often people say things without considering any of the effects, obvious or not. As far as handling a 6v6, I think that's about the limit for team size. Part of me wishes I followed MOBAs more, as I know LoL is 5v5 and I'd like to know how that fares for the smaller teams, not just the top dogs. But then I watch and see people kill creeps and avoid each other for an hour. Then I don't feel bad anymore.

Posted Image

High-level Hawken discussion and play wednesdays at 7:00 PST http://www.twitch.tv/thecockpit

#4 Zeshi

Zeshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 09:52 AM

Voted for bigger matches, but I'm only in favor of up to 8v8, with a variety of servers supporting smaller sizes.
Posted Image

#5 NotKjell

NotKjell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 09:55 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 03 2012 - 09:37 AM, said:

During the Alpha I got a bunch of small matches, 2v2-4v4 sized things. They were intense on a whole different level than bigger matches when I got paired with at least one person of my skill on the other team (if I didn't get paired with someone of my skill, it just ended up with a bunch of ragequitters).

I liked it quite a bit more because it meant I was fighting the best players a lot more often.
In 6v6s I often feel like I'm running around trying to put out fires, and shoring up defenses, which seems to keep me away from the enemy MVPs a lot more.
It's also quite a bit more... personal.
I like objective gametypes, but it's also nice not to have someone waltz in and cheapen/steal your kill or vice versa.
It's somehow more satisfying to capture an objective point when you've had to duel for it.

Hm that is a good point, though those are pubs where there is often only 1 good player. I would say if there were to be any change in team size, go smaller, 4v4 sounds like it might be nice. It would be easier to form and manage teams, individual players would matter more, players themselves would be more distinct for fans, teams couldn't cover the whole map at once. The more 'personal' 1v1 engagements would happen more often. 6v6 teams I imagine would be all 2v2+ engagements.

I'm not sure what would be better to spectate. The other thing to keep in mind is again the issue of pros playing a different game from the casuals. 6v6 pubs are very fun and have a much different feel than a 4v4. All the 4v4s aI've played are much more empty, much more methodical and less action. 6v6 is more chaotic with stuff going everywhere. And with everything I've seen over time with FPS's, most casual people like mindless chaos and constant action. You know if the community is given server control like tf2 that 8v8+ servers will pop up. The 6v6 provides a point where casuals get what they want and pros get something that can work with.

Posted Image

High-level Hawken discussion and play wednesdays at 7:00 PST http://www.twitch.tv/thecockpit

#6 Tezkat

Tezkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 10:52 AM

View PostNotKjell, on November 03 2012 - 09:45 AM, said:

I would like a 5th option there - let people mod/set their own servers how they like. I think this is best, keep standard hawken at 6v6 as it's a very nice balance and lends to the e-sport scene well.

I'd allowed multiple option voting for those who want more choices, but perhaps directing the poll answers a bit more would be helpful. I also added a couple more poll questions with more focused questions.

I would prefer to be able to watch the e-sport scene and know it's what I play everyday, not some weird very specific custom game.

A very important point.

If spectated competitive play is going to be a big part of Hawken, then the primary eSports mode has to be the same as standard play. If it isn't, there's a higher barrier to entry into the competitive scene, and eSports will have less of an effect on the metagame. To be honest, that would probably hurt efforts to monetize eSports as a marketing investment as well, since having top players as role models holds much of the appeal for spectators.

People like to play so many variations though. I never touch 32 man servers in tf2, or 64 in any of the BF series but I know that's a big attraction to some players. With a good mod community or just good server settings all player needs can be met.

I used to spend a lot of time on 32 player TF2 servers. The experience is quite different from smaller matches. Down at 8v8, for instance, team composition is extremely important, and an engie guarding the base means one less man on the front lines. 16v16 on the other hand is a chaotic rumble where people mostly play whatever they want; there are simultaneous engagements all over the map, and the big pushes often turn into a protracted siege of turret emplacements. They're super fun, but wouldn't want to see that in competitive play.

View PostNotKjell, on November 03 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

I'm not sure what would be better to spectate. The other thing to keep in mind is again the issue of pros playing a different game from the casuals. 6v6 pubs are very fun and have a much different feel than a 4v4. All the 4v4s aI've played are much more empty, much more methodical and less action. 6v6 is more chaotic with stuff going everywhere. And with everything I've seen over time with FPS's, most casual people like mindless chaos and constant action. You know if the community is given server control like tf2 that 8v8+ servers will pop up. The 6v6 provides a point where casuals get what they want and pros get something that can work with.

Based on my beta experiences, successful team play is all about pack hunting. The objective modes were a little more spread out, but TDM tended to be larger army vs army battles. So even 6v6 team games shouldn't be too difficult to spectate since most of the action is one place. On the other hand, the pubs tended to see that pack at 4 or so mechs with 1 or 2 noobs running off on their own to get killed. Pro level play might be able to reproduce that 6v6 experience with fewer players.

#7 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 10:59 AM

Honestly_ 6v6 is pretty good for the maps we have going on. It would, however, be awesome if we could get bigger maps that supported more players. The best option would be if we could get two seperate options of like 6v6 and like 8v8 or 9v9 games, with their own maps made to support those team sizes. The current maps would feel too crowded if we got bigger teams in them.

Although the current objective maps function with 4v4 games, smaller then that just felt like we're fighting in a ghost town.

Edited by TheChaffeemancer, November 03 2012 - 11:01 AM.

Beep beep, Kiwi's a Chaffeemancer.

#8 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 03 2012 - 11:18 AM

I'd say 6v6 is a pretty good "Sweet spot." The maps would definitely need to be larger to do anything higher, and while you can do lower easily, it becomes a rather different game.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#9 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 03 2012 - 11:21 AM

Personally, I've checked all the options of poll 1 to vote it. Basically because I'll pick up one of the options according to what mood am I during each session or row of fights.

On the second poll: Again difficult to say. If what you mean with "standar team" is the maximum number of players per team allowed in the game then I'd say that 8vs8 would be a good number. (Don't know if the guy in charge of the netcode is staring at me with his eyeballs injected in blood as he read this..). Also I think that you were referring with that to the ideal number of players per team. Again, difficult to say, due that it's gonna depend on what game mode you pick up to play in teams. Which at the same time will depend on many other factors, as for example, my mood, map preferences, cohesion of my team pilots, the inherent coolness factor of the performance of both of the teams, mech class dynamic adaptation through the games... long et cetera here..

What I want to see is proper info on each of the players in my team. Game's experience (played hours, kills, rank..) would suffice. As well as a good chatting system (not only voice but text as well) to coordinate tactics and so forth..

Am I rambling_ :P

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#10 Tezkat

Tezkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 11:26 AM

View PostThe_Silencer, on November 03 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

On the second poll: Again difficult to say. If what you mean with "standar team" is the maximum number of players per team allowed in the game then I'd say that 8vs8 would be a good number. (Don't know if the guy in charge of the netcode is staring at me with his eyeballs injected in blood as he read this..). Also I think that you were referring with that to the ideal number of players per team. Again, difficult to say, due that it's gonna depend on what game mode you pick up to play in teams. Which at the same time will depend on many other factors, as for example, my mood, map preferences, cohesion of my team pilots, the inherent coolness factor of the performance of both of the teams, mech class dynamic adaptation through the games... long et cetera here..

By "standard" team size, I mean the default mode that most players will be playing, not the maximum possible number of players the game will support (e.g. in custom servers or special game modes). In the context of the eSports discussion, since that's what motivated my original post, it represents the game mode that will be showcased in competitive play.

Edited by Tezkat, November 03 2012 - 11:27 AM.

#11 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 03 2012 - 11:55 AM

View PostTezkat, on November 03 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

View PostThe_Silencer, on November 03 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

By "standard" team size, I mean the default mode that most players will be playing, not the maximum possible number of players the game will support (e.g. in custom servers or special game modes). In the context of the eSports discussion, since that's what motivated my original post, it represents the game mode that will be showcased in competitive play.

Good to know that I wasn't rambling then.. :P

"Seriously", I knew that you were referring to that but I wanted to make that comment to highlight related thoughts on other possibilities and/or factors.

I forgot to share my thoughts on whether there should be spectators allowed in tournaments or not.. To be brief on that: -> Hell yeah! :D
Additionally and IIRC I posted on this subject long time ago.. Spectator/s might be considered in normal games as well. Although this would have a light side (basically begginers watching and inherently improving and speeding up their learning curves..) but also a dark side... although we may discuss on that later...

Back on eSports.. ATM, my general preference would be TDM due to its inherent freedom factor 'cos the lack of rules and the focus on tactics and/or overall performance of the team... so to speak. Nevertheless and although Missile and Siege are way more sophisticated game modes, for many obvious reasons, would not mean that... hey... I'm going back to my previous post. In my own case, is gonna be a matter of tastes, moods in RT as well as of many factors converging in personal ways and which we may discuss in more detail on here.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#12 NIGHTRAV3N

NIGHTRAV3N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 12:12 PM

All you guys have brought detailed points and great ideas. As a vet pilot I'm comfortable with the current 6v6 team play in HAWKEN. I am down to see some larger scale gametypes with associated maps to go along with, and some 4v4 team scale objectives would be fun as well.

In a different post I had mentioned the implementation of multi-team game types that consist of 2v2v2v2v2/3v3v3v3 team scaling. Obviously I wouldn't recommend this for esport tourney play, but I think it would be a fun and exciting addition to the HAWKEN list of gametypes for the core/casual pilots. From my personal experience I have found multiple smaller team sizes to be very exciting for highly concentrated team play carnage. It still preserves the smaller team play aspect while making the objective almost a 'competition' to be the team to come out on top of the others. Some KOTH,oddball,wingman--ish objectives would be fun.

"God is not on the side of battalions, but on the side that shoots best"

#13 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 03 2012 - 01:03 PM

The more possibilities the better, indeed. Although I wish I had more time to explore and evaluate the game during this latest CB event.

Posted Image

#14 Tezkat

Tezkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 01:11 PM

Oh, I'd love to try out all sorts of wonky game modes, multiteam matches, and the like.

At the moment, however, I'm wondering if they shouldn't try dropping the default team size down to 5v5. That should preserve a lot of the excitement of the current 6v6 while being significantly more attractive from the perspective of organizing teams. We're already used to that thanks to the MOBA games and FPS games like Counter-Strike. With 6v6, it's almost like Hawken somehow needs to justify being different.

At the very least, it would be nice if we had a chance to test that in future closed betas.

#15 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 01:51 PM

View PostTezkat, on November 03 2012 - 01:11 PM, said:

Oh, I'd love to try out all sorts of wonky game modes, multiteam matches, and the like.

At the moment, however, I'm wondering if they shouldn't try dropping the default team size down to 5v5. That should preserve a lot of the excitement of the current 6v6 while being significantly more attractive from the perspective of organizing teams. We're already used to that thanks to the MOBA games and FPS games like Counter-Strike. With 6v6, it's almost like Hawken somehow needs to justify being different.

Why does it have to conform to the team size of a different game before Hawken has even left testing_ Trying to engineer such things like comp team size before the game has even left beta just seems like jumping the gun. It just seems like something that should be figured out on a basis that doesn't just look at how other games do it.

#16 Tezkat

Tezkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 01:58 PM

View PostTheChaffeemancer, on November 03 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

Why does it have to conform to the team size of a different game before Hawken has even left testing_ Trying to engineer such things like comp team size before the game has even left beta just seems like jumping the gun. It just seems like something that should be figured out on a basis that doesn't just look at how other games do it.

So you're saying that trying to anticipate the wants and needs of the stakeholders who could potentially be spending millions of dollars making this game successful is a bad thing_

#17 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 01:59 PM

View PostTezkat, on November 03 2012 - 01:58 PM, said:

View PostTheChaffeemancer, on November 03 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

So you're saying that trying to anticipate the wants and needs of the stakeholders who could potentially be spending millions of dollars making this game successful is a bad thing_

Are you saying that just copying others is the best way to develop_

#18 NotKjell

NotKjell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 02:23 PM

View PostTheChaffeemancer, on November 03 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

uuuuum....yes_ This isn't about the topic, just your statement without context. Looking to what others done in the past for good ideas and to learn from their success is what you do. That, and often straight-up copying others is kinda what development is....

http://i49.tinypic.com/ictqw2.gif

Posted Image

#19 Tezkat

Tezkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 02:38 PM

View PostTheChaffeemancer, on November 03 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

Hardly. I'm not saying that innovation is bad. I'm merely suggesting that people do things the way they do now for a reason, so when you break the mold, the onus is on you to prove that doing so is worthwhile.

There are stakeholders other than the casual player base who have the power to influence how well Hawken does.

For instance, we know that the Hawken team is currently negotiating with ESL and MLG to get their game into future tournament lineups.

MLG is running it's Fall Championship in Dallas as we speak and will have several million viewers over the course of the weekend. Take a look at those massive soundproof 5-player booths in which the LoL teams play. Those things apparently cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to construct and transport. Let's say for the sake of argument that their current ones wouldn't comfortably fit a sixth player.

So, put yourself in the position of someone running an MLG or similar large tournament. You now have a choice between:

1) adding a game to your lineup that lets you use the gear you already have.
2) adding a game that requires you to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars more on people and equipment.

Which would you choose_ It could still be option 2, but from a business perspective that means that you believe it'll be so much more awesome that it will bring in enough additional revenue to cover the difference in cost.

That tournament organizer's decision makes the difference between getting Hawken in front of millions of enthusiastic gamers and (insert competitor here) landing the spot instead.

#20 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted November 03 2012 - 07:40 PM

In my experience, player count negatively correlates to my enjoyment match to match.

I think six on six is a good middle ground between the head-to-head nature of smaller team sizes on one side and chaos on the other. Furthermore, this allows for a completely mixed mech lineup, allowing each individual to tackle a specialised role instead of having to cover multiple bases.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users