HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Thoughts on Team Size

Game

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Team Sizes in Hawken (40 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of the team sizes in Hawken_

1. I want to see even bigger matches. (23 votes [41.07%])

Percentage of vote: 41.07%

2. 6v6 is perfect! (21 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

3. I'd like to see smaller teams. (8 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. I'm a lone wolf--FFA forever! (4 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

How large should teams be in the "standard" team play mode_

1. 7v7 or larger (9 votes [25.71%])

Percentage of vote: 25.71%

2. 6v6 is the sweet spot (21 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

3. 4v4 or 5v5 (5 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. 3v3 or smaller (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Are you interested in playing in or watching Hawken tournaments_

1. Yes (33 votes [94.29%])

Percentage of vote: 94.29%

2. No (2 votes [5.71%])

Percentage of vote: 5.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 04 2012 - 10:27 AM

Additionally, I having second thoughts on where the guys up there will deploy servers hosting 1vs1 or 2vs2 games or not. And yes, 6vs6 is a good middle term and attractive enough.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#22 Tezkat

Tezkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted November 04 2012 - 01:38 PM

Well, the votes here so far overwhelming favour the current 6v6 game mode. I'm willing to bet that some of that voting reflects a bias from the fact that 6v6 is all we've really seen. Nonetheless, regardless of other external considerations, Adhesive has evidently tuned the game for a mode that people here definitely enjoy playing. I count myself in that group, so I suppose I can't complain. ;)
Live Open Beta gameplay and commentary on twitch.tv/Tezkat...

More HAWKEN gameplay videos at Mech.TV.

#23 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted November 04 2012 - 02:25 PM

6v6 is probably most voted for because you used the phrase "sweet spot", which is just too damn cool. ;)

IMO 6v6 is fine for pubs, but you'd want to shrink it to at most 5v5 in comp/esports. Lower team sizes means more emphasis on player skill, less people to fly to LAN tournaments, less people to split prize money between, easier to organize teams/pickup games, etc.

Edited by Immie, November 04 2012 - 02:27 PM.

Posted Image

#24 Tezkat

Tezkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted November 04 2012 - 02:56 PM

View PostImmie, on November 04 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

6v6 is probably most voted for because you used the phrase "sweet spot", which is just too damn cool. ;)

Hmm... good point. It does indeed look like a badly biased poll. :huh: (Also, given my background in research design methodologies, a mistake that probably shouldn't have happened. Oops. <_<)

IMO 6v6 is fine for pubs, but you'd want to shrink it to at most 5v5 in comp/esports. Lower team sizes means more emphasis on player skill, less people to fly to LAN tournaments, less people to split prize money between, easier to organize teams/pickup games, etc.

Hmm... an issue that I wanted to highlight is that, ideally, you don't want there to be such a difference between standard and competitive play. Honestly, one of the biggest appeals of eSports is watching your heroes and thinking: "I want to play like that." Not only are they fun to watch, they also provide a roadmap for players aspiring to be great. They show off styles, techniques, and builds that you can borrow and adapt to your own play. They unleash cool strats at tournaments that can revolutionize the metagame.

Those things can't happen if regular and competitive play are different games.
Live Open Beta gameplay and commentary on twitch.tv/Tezkat...

More HAWKEN gameplay videos at Mech.TV.

#25 NIGHTRAV3N

NIGHTRAV3N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted November 04 2012 - 03:00 PM

I have to agree with Immie 5v5 would be nice for a more competitive feel, and nailed it about the tourney details.

On that note I would like to see what other maps AG has in store for us. Hopefully they will cater to the core crowd and put out some nice tournament grade maps that could be used for leagues. Granted I like the maps now, but it seems like the only one that could possibly cater to entertaining tourney play is Andromeda. Map isn't too big and it's a level playing field of obstacles for great mech fights with the bridge running through it.

"God is not on the side of battalions, but on the side that shoots best"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users