HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

HAWKEN Tips and Tricks Thread

Beta Community Game

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#201 USMC_Karl

USMC_Karl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSeoul, South Korea

Posted September 29 2013 - 09:49 PM

Thanks for the awesome thread, Arnie.  You're the best!

I'm not sure if this has been touched on before (I looked in the OP and checked, but you don't have a whole lot listed for individual mechs so...) but I figured this might help out some of the newer folks like myself.

The CR-T Recruit is actually a very flexible mech.  I started playing this game a couple days ago and have been using it pretty much exclusively.  I'd imagine that it gets overlooked quite a lot for the more... flashy mechs.  People unlock their Berserker or Rocketeer or whatever and think "Hey man, fuzzy bunny this starter mech" and jump ship.

My suggestion is, don't do that!  The CRT is pretty much serviceable in any engagement range.  It doesn't really shine anywhere, but you can use it in almost any situation and contribute.  I think the CRT also serves another purpose, since it doesn't really shine and can be somewhat disadvantaged by the more focused mechs (try taking on a Brawler or Berserker 1-on-1) it drives home the necessity for team-work.  If you come across a heavy with the CRT alone you should probably disengage, but if there are two CRTs and you come across a heavy, well it's stomping time.  Keeping yourself in the CRT helps you build up good, basic skills that will serve you well in any of the mechs.

Also, since the CRT is such a nice all-arounder, you can really learn your play style.  I realized, through my 4 hours in the CRT, that I'm a brawler at heart.  When I first downloaded Hawken I thought I'd make a bee-line for the A class mechs.  After spending time in the CRT I found out that a lighter C class (maybe the Brawler thanks to Saturnine's guide) or a heavier B class might be more my style.  Berserkers are too squishy for my tastes, and if I hadn't focused so much on the CRT I could have easily been discouraged.

Of course, I'm totally new at the game and probably have been stomped by those of you I met online already.  Take my tip with a grain of salt.

#202 Tavanaka

Tavanaka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted October 23 2013 - 12:57 PM

Hey guys,

I'm quickly reaching level 30 and I'm finding more and more Bruisers and Rocketeers in the matches I enter. Not just a lot of them, but a lot of good pilots behind them as well. A lot of my recent matches have turned into hiding behind cover and harrassing (made pointless if they have a tech) as I get locked by three sets of hellfires the second I poke my head out. It's starting to get very frustrating, especially when halfway through a winning match I see the other team's worst players switch mechs and I start getting hailed on. I generally try to power through it but the other guys that I usually play with tend to just quit the second that happens. I want to encourage them to deal with it but I really do understand their perspective- I play games for fun, and getting curbstomped by tracking weapons isn't very fun at all. I've literally watched the damn things pull 120 degree turns around cover to ream me.

But at the same time I don't want to be one of those fuzzy bunny who calls for a nerf. SO. Do you guys have any tips for dealing with hellfire missiles_ Besides using cover I've tried various ways of dodging them, but so far nothing really works due to their last-second tracking nature. I've tried dodging "in" to their curve, but their curve just tightens in response. Dodging to the left or right ends pretty much as expected. I can't outlast either mechs at range, especially if they have a tech, and at close range they seem to still work just fine at tearing me to shreds. I would really appreciate some suggestions, because the amount of teams I'm running into these days with two to three bruisers/rocketeers is aggravating to me and game-breaking to my friends.

Thanks in advance.

#203 KOS_Baconman

KOS_Baconman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Locationsaving money..

Posted October 23 2013 - 04:43 PM

I havent really found any ways to avoid this issue, other then to just grind and come out on top.

The bruiser was my second mech (first being the CR-T) and It was also my first 25,
I am a hellfire enthusiast and a fan of both the bruiser and the rocketeer,
I do think i am a good pilot, but to answer your post

I havent really found any ways to avoid this issue, other then to just grind and come out on top.
Posted Image

#204 ShadowWarg

ShadowWarg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows behind you

Posted October 23 2013 - 04:49 PM

Hawken Tip for Rookie Pilots:

How to back dodge:
There may not be an actual input to pull this off (for reasons that have been discussed to death) but there is a quick and effective way to back out of combat that gives you the same effect as back dodging.
  • Rotate your cockpit 90 so you are facing sideways.
  • Side dash in the direction that you wish to retreat.
  • While side dashing continue to rotate your cockpit towards your retreating destination.
  • And boost (Boosting after side step dodge actually cancels the cooldown so you can boost away immediately and vice versa.)
You could do a 180 spin and dash away, but this take longer to execute as you are stationary of a second and still in "cool down" which is more than enough time to be blow to peaces.

Practice dodge cancels (side dodging immediately after boosting and vice versa) to help you maneuver around your opponent and get out of combat quickly, but remember to keep an eye on your fuel. Avoid boosting around the battle field as much as possible even when you see no enemies around you. When you boost or dodge you show up on radar, this could give away the location of your group and make it so people can easily get the jump on you. So walk in order to stay hidden and save the fuel for combat.

The 180 spin is more useful than you think:
Try to use the 180 while in combat (I know this sounds strange), especially when rolling with a C, people in lighter mechs like to circle strafe, so using the 180 allows you to aim ahead off their moments. It also helps to get the drop on someone who is trying to sneak up behind you if you are aware of their presence.

#205 SgtRazr

SgtRazr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted October 26 2013 - 06:42 AM

Hey guys! I got this game today. Played for an hour or so... Must say that the graphics are cool and the HUD looks bad***.

#206 comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationI dunno!

Posted October 26 2013 - 05:06 PM

I dunno if it's been said here, but always use your radar to be on the outside of any duel or three-way or w/e.  Never let yourself get caught in the middle of two people for any length of time.

#207 tease_it

tease_it

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Locationjust outside Illinois' border

Posted November 01 2013 - 09:24 AM

Another pro-tip from comic_sans - use the scout.
[font=courier new,courier,monospace]If violence isn't solving all your problems, you simply aren't using enough of it.[/font]

#208 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted November 02 2013 - 03:07 PM

lol. I'm on haitus for a couple weeks as I finish uni folks. Keep posting stuff, I'll get back to the thread soon
Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#209 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  • Locationfuzzybunny you, ima cat now (~o-o)~

Posted November 19 2013 - 09:25 PM

in siege when using pred lay mines on the back wall of AA, no one seems to see them and have been killed a lot :P
also in MA plant mines in one of the squares on the back f the silo
"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "
-VocalMagic           Croin//illal's wildlife

View PostDaPheel, on October 26 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

You don't nuke Ropefish : ROPEFISH NUKES YOU!

#210 yoshimotosog

yoshimotosog

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Locationin the great lands of lithuania

Posted November 19 2013 - 10:59 PM

if you want to make an awesome distraction, place a turret inside a hologram.
Posted Image

#211 ecaflip

ecaflip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationFlying with glorious air dynamics

Posted November 23 2013 - 09:33 AM

EMPs are much more useful than one would assume.  If properly used, you can force your opponent to burn their last bit of fuel to dodge the EMP and unleash your whole aresonal on them.  EMPs also temporarily shut down turret systems and instantly kill shields while still retaining their blast range.  My favorite ganking tactic is to sneak up on a techie while its repairing someone and blast the both of them with a MK-3 EMP.

Edited by ecaflip, November 23 2013 - 09:34 AM.

Posted Image
I'm I'm playing, I'm more than likely streaming. Come watch me at twitch.tv/bugzdood (i wish I had a better twitch name)

#212 yoshimotosog

yoshimotosog

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Locationin the great lands of lithuania

Posted November 24 2013 - 10:52 PM

as a raider, deploy a shield on the ground when you see an enemy. most of the time the enemy will dash into your shield, wich will give you a great advantage, since you're a close range mech.
Posted Image

#213 LinearFox

LinearFox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted December 07 2013 - 08:51 AM

View Postyoshimotosog, on November 19 2013 - 10:59 PM, said:

if you want to make an awesome distraction, place a turret inside a hologram.

lol i did that for my sharpshooter XD

Posted Image

South Asia Team

LinearFOX

#214 111psycho

111psycho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted January 09 2014 - 09:54 AM

Does the fast lock on the Rocketeer still works_

is it MMB + Seeker + Hellfire_

#215 111psycho

111psycho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 03:35 PM

View Post111psycho, on January 09 2014 - 09:54 AM, said:

Does the fast lock on the Rocketeer still works_

is it MMB + Seeker + Hellfire_

Anyone_

#216 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  • Locationfuzzybunny you, ima cat now (~o-o)~

Posted January 17 2014 - 01:20 PM

New predict tactic, try to sneak behind a turreted C and blast them with everything you got
"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "
-VocalMagic           Croin//illal's wildlife

View PostDaPheel, on October 26 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

You don't nuke Ropefish : ROPEFISH NUKES YOU!

#217 oNSLoT

oNSLoT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted February 06 2014 - 12:30 AM

Arnie! Thank you so much for orchestrating such a productive and useful thread! I read all of the content, and watched the videos....and wow, I had no idea the level of depth this game had! A plethora of advanced tips and tactics from veteran gamers all assemble into one neat little guide :-)

#218 LeeHarveyOz

LeeHarveyOz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted March 25 2014 - 03:48 AM

Anyone know the easiest way to clear mines_ I'm assuming a TOW or something will do the trick but I haven't taken the time to try much out yet.

Hey oNSLoT, Pleasure getting my ass kicked by you earlier.
:ph34r:

#219 KOS_Baconman

KOS_Baconman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Locationsaving money..

Posted March 25 2014 - 04:25 AM

View Postropefish, on January 17 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

New predict tactic, try to sneak behind a turreted C and blast them with everything you got
This tactic is one I use as much as I can, especially as vulcan-berserker

works pretty good for predator too, charge your breacher first (if you have it equipped) then shoot a mine at their backside, immediately after firing the mine, fire the breacher (takes time for the mine to get there, so if you shoot both about the same time, the enemy wont be able to react until almost both hit him=free hit. then just hold right click and keep left clicking.

Vulcan berserker, get behind or above them, or above then behind them, and just spray em with your vulcan, activate your ability while doing this for maximum damage output, and or before starting to killify -(thats a word because I said so) them, hit them with a H.E charge/Detonator/EMP
Posted Image

#220 ICERAY2000

ICERAY2000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 09:13 AM

Great posts!
I would like to hear from LEFTIES, who have to totally reconfigure the keyboard - remember righties, your mouse is at the far end of your keyboard; for lefties, in order to get the same physical experience, we have to use the numerical keypad, and that means some very strange extrapolations for key binds.
So as lefties, how does the game affect you and what keybinds do you use_ I have yet to figure out how to dodge!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta, Community, Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users