HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

HAWKEN Tips and Tricks Thread

Beta Community Game

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#161 DxPBlackDeath

DxPBlackDeath

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted April 26 2013 - 05:42 PM

Does building a Tech mech with weapon damage increase the heal rate of the Helix Repair Torch_

#162 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted April 26 2013 - 07:10 PM

View PostDxPBlackDeath, on April 26 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

Does building a Tech mech with weapon damage increase the heal rate of the Helix Repair Torch_
Guess we gotta figure that out XD. If anyone has something, please add it on and I'll update it.

Right now, some internals are useless for the repair torch though, for example, Secondary weapons loader ...
Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#163 DxPBlackDeath

DxPBlackDeath

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted April 27 2013 - 05:45 PM

View PostArnieF4440, on April 26 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

Guess we gotta figure that out XD. If anyone has something, please add it on and I'll update it.

Right now, some internals are useless for the repair torch though, for example, Secondary weapons loader ...

So I assume this means increasing fire rate doesn't increase the HPS of the torch_

#164 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted April 27 2013 - 08:41 PM

View PostDxPBlackDeath, on April 27 2013 - 05:45 PM, said:

View PostArnieF4440, on April 26 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

So I assume this means increasing fire rate doesn't increase the HPS of the torch_
Okies, so I asked around, so this answer is courtesy of Conquistador and Ashfire908:
  • Weapon damage modifiers do not affect any of the healing attributes (Conquistador)
  • iirc only the ability affects it (Ashfire908)

Posted Image
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#165 Preternatural

Preternatural

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationLurking in the Tunnels of Origin

Posted April 28 2013 - 06:24 AM

1.) If you have to get off the ground during a battle, jump. Don't fly.

2.)If  you are hit with an EMP or overheat during a battle, use eratic movements to throw off your enemies aim. Don't run away unless you have backup waiting for you.

3.) The EOC Rocketeer deals the most damage in the game, if both (charged) primary and secondary hit, the mech will have 418 health taken out of it. Use this to to your advantage at the beginning of a fight to compensate for your slowness.

4.) Considering all grenades hit, a fully charged EOC Repeater does more damage than any primary or secondary in the game. Use both your primary and secondary to make a battle sway in your favor.

5.) Scoped Slug+Sabot+Power Shot will come within around fifty health remaining on an A mech that was unharmed before.

6.) Detonator makes no sound when shot or when flying, perfect for unaware pilots or ambushes.

7.) Hitboxes on walls and edges are slightly larger than they should be. Use this to block incoming shots.

Edited by Mr_UnKNoWn, April 29 2013 - 10:35 AM.

Posted Image

#166 ParkerlP1l

ParkerlP1l

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted May 02 2013 - 02:08 PM

just to make sure I'm on the same page, All A-class mechs have the same base performance stats not including their weapons_ All mechs of the same class will handle exactly the same_

#167 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted May 02 2013 - 05:13 PM

View PostParkerlP1l, on May 02 2013 - 02:08 PM, said:

just to make sure I'm on the same page, All A-class mechs have the same base performance stats not including their weapons_ All mechs of the same class will handle exactly the same_

Yep, the "base stats" are the same for each class. Walk speed, etc are all the same. The major differences right outta the shop are weapons and abilities
Posted Image

#168 chupa224

chupa224

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted May 04 2013 - 12:06 PM

Thanks for collecting the tips and tricks!

#169 Steppee

Steppee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted May 14 2013 - 08:40 AM

Thank you guys and OP for this thread!
I feel like I should add this incase someone has missed it.

When viewing the mech prices or any other prices, its either x amount of Hawken credits or x amount of meteors. Not both like I thought and few of my comrades thought!

Edited by Steppee, May 14 2013 - 08:40 AM.

#170 Kruthal_Dexlar

Kruthal_Dexlar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Location//Prosk F.O.B//

Posted May 14 2013 - 09:13 AM

Be aware of enemy equipment as well as enemy mechs!!!! Countless times I see team mates getting railed by an MG turret that is less than 5m away from them in plain sight. Take down any enemy turrets as well as radar scramblers/scanners ! ;)

#171 SGTMatt

SGTMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationPacific North West

Posted May 14 2013 - 09:14 AM

When sharp shooters have the high ground and are moving forward and backward to engage you, fire a tow directly over their last position and air burst it overhead.

I have killed a few sharpshooters this way. Works around corners with A's playing peekaboo too.

#172 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted May 14 2013 - 05:52 PM

*dusts edit button* nice to see some new tips, updated

EDIT: Updated FAQ's also to cover complete mech customisation and melee, as well as some other updates

Edited by ArnieF4440, May 14 2013 - 06:05 PM.

Posted Image

#173 JGrimm

JGrimm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted May 15 2013 - 07:46 AM

Just wanted to add some ... well, advanced isn't probably the right word (given the author) but.. uh.  Advanced-to-me tips_

- When you're in a fight, the best skill you can learn is when NOT to boost.  Never, ever forget that you drop off of radar after a half-second or so of doing nothing to deserve being on it.  I cannot express how useful it is to drop off your opponent's radar while your opponent keeps boosting on the other side of an obstacle.  

- When you have a choice of paths to take to an objective or a spot on the map, consider taking the longer one.  People tend to think in straight lines and shortest distances; you'd be shocked how much of an advantage you can get by simply not being where anyone expects you to be in a given moment.  I can't tell you how many times I've tricked an opponent into repairing simply by choosing to take a more roundabout path in pursuit of them.

- Again:  STOP BOOSTING.  If you don't have a reason beyond 'get there faster' to hit the shift key, just stop hitting it.  Every time you boost, it's like waving a red flag at the other side, saying 'here I am!  Here's where I'm going!  Look at me!".    Don't hit it nervously, don't just randomly tap it, don't use it in place of walking.  Don't boost around other people who are walking.  Stealth is the single most useful commodity in the game, regardless of the size of your mech.  Don't throw it away because you can't take an extra few seconds to engage, or have the patience of a mayfly.... and if you're throwing it away /for other people/... well, that's when I wish my guns had a teamkill mode.

- As a tech, if your target is walking and unengaged, STOP HEALING.  You show up on radar, and you're ruining any chance of sneaking up on people.

(If you can't tell, I'm a fan of stealth.  Seriously, if you learn how to stay off the radar, your effectiveness will go through the /roof/.)

- Always be aware of your exit vector.  Which way do you need to go to leave_  How long will it take you to get there_

- When you retreat, pay attention to how much pursuit you get.  You may discover the bad guys even odds up for you.

... okay, that one deserves a little more time:

My main, at this point, is an Infiltrator.  One of my favorite tricks with this mech is to flank the scrum, wherever it is, and throw a couple of grenades into the middle of it (while wearing a bright red camo and scooting/boosting to really emphasize where I'm standing).  Then, I take off around the nearest corner.

Most of the time_  /one/ guy chases me down - one guy I've already nicked a few times, who boosts - thinking I'm running away - and who doesn't pay attention to his radar.  

This means that he's going to come around the corner at high speed, with no guns ready, into a face full of EOC pucks and grenade - likely over a minefield I've thrown in his path, and into the arc of the rocket turret I've dropped.  At this point_  He doesn't much stand a chance, regardless of mech class, size, or even user ability... even if I'm down to under a hundred health and my mech's on fire.

So - pay attention.  Sometimes, the other team evens the odds for you, and if you're paying attention to your pursuit, it's likely to be a very costly mistake.

- Place your shots.  Don't fire every time you're off cooldown:  a shot that misses is worthless, and generates heat you can't have.  That said, know when spraying into a random direction is worthwhile... you never know what you'll come up with from across the board.

- Beating a tech requires you break line-of-sight often.  Don't slug it out - move!  A good tech /will/ kill you if you let that repair torch burn you down.

- never stop walking.  Even when you're just standing there, shooting into a melee.. MOVE!  The time from walk to full speed walking is about a second - you're /very/ vulnerable during that time.  Also, never walk straight from one direction to another.  (In other words - don't hit A then D - put a little jink in there.  ASD or AWD.  In this way, when your legs swivel, they never stop walking - you don't have to 'spool up' to full walking speed anymore.)  One more thing:  boosting doesn't put you up to full speed.  If you're walking full speed before a dodge, you'll stay at full speed on the far side of the dodge.  IF you're not, you stop.  Boosting forward /always/ stops you at the end of the boost.

... and that's what I've got.  I hope it helps!

#174 KOS_Baconman

KOS_Baconman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Locationsaving money..

Posted May 15 2013 - 08:39 AM

ya dont spray and pray, take quick burst shots
Posted Image

#175 DavisAce1

DavisAce1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted May 19 2013 - 04:33 PM

View PostKOS_Baconman, on May 15 2013 - 08:39 AM, said:

ya dont spray and pray, take quick burst shots
I think there are some weapons where that method is more effective (assault rifle, submachine cannon, etc.) However with the vulcan and others like it the spin up time negates any advantages gained in short bursts.

#176 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted May 25 2013 - 02:22 AM

[font=georgia, serif]Thats great you're awesome !!! :D We need suck informations !!![/font]
[font=georgia, serif]Well we can make an application from this !!! using java maybe _[/font]

[font=georgia, serif][/font][font=georgia, serif]I'll try n if I get it done I'll contact u :lol:[/font]

Edited by EliteShooter, May 25 2013 - 02:24 AM.

Posted Image

#177 silentkratos

silentkratos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted May 29 2013 - 11:43 AM

View PostArnieF4440, on November 05 2012 - 11:00 PM, said:

Anyway, if you accidentally hit Shift+S, there's probably a couple alternatives to get you outta that pinch:
  • If you have the shield item, you can fire it in front of you and run through it to cover your back from a bit of the fire. That'll give you a bit if time to recompose yourself, etc
Probably someone whose more proficient with the 180 boost can fill you in better with regards to that

Great idea... Next time, I am doing the same, just to save my arse.

#178 Giga_V_2

Giga_V_2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted May 29 2013 - 09:25 PM

this is really helpful! thanks! :D
Posted Image

#179 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted June 04 2013 - 06:29 PM

Couple of minor updates. Technical has been updated and Saturnines guide to the classes is added (its worth the read, good stuff)

https://community.pl...to-the-classes/
Posted Image

#180 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted June 06 2013 - 06:07 PM

View PostScapes, on June 06 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

Yes, the TOW Missile flies in a straight path despite the slight corkscrew effect.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta, Community, Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users