HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

HAWKEN Tips and Tricks Thread

Beta Community Game

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#121 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted January 24 2013 - 07:18 PM

I hoped on a deathmatch with some random players from the same region and asked if i could shoot them. But they we're probably optimised, hence the discrepancy. I'm doing some more refined testing a bit later if I can with some mates, but it seems that h0b0 and y'all have got most of the stats ATM, so I'll probably just use his for my spreadsheet

With the detonator i shot myself point blank against a wall (lone ranger, lol), that was with a brand new reaper.and no optimisations, internals, etc

Edited by ArnieF4440, January 24 2013 - 07:20 PM.

Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#122 Bulldog187th

Bulldog187th

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon ,USA

Posted January 25 2013 - 02:51 AM

Can someone pin this to the front page. I just found it by digging through the pile of posts. This really helped me with the insight of this game.
I guess I was more accustomed to DOD or CS play style.

This really can help those people who are new to the game.

Thanks

#123 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted January 25 2013 - 02:55 AM

Yeah, been trying to get it Stickied for ages, dunno what the mods are up to XD
Posted Image
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#124 Bulldog187th

Bulldog187th

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon ,USA

Posted January 25 2013 - 10:09 AM

Holy Fuzzy bunny, after reading this post last night I got in game and kicked some a$$ . The last match I played I got just over 5800 in xp.
My KD ratio improved so much more.  I'm VERY pleased with the out come since no one used mics :(

This post helped me in making the game more enjoyable to play.Thank you again for taking the time to give pointers :)

#125 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted January 25 2013 - 04:42 PM

Thread has finally been re-stickied, thanks to Hugs for the help :)
Posted Image

#126 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationAt the back of the North Wind

Posted January 26 2013 - 02:32 AM

Are you still accepting tips_ Because I may have a few up my sleeve.
Posted Image

#127 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted January 26 2013 - 02:44 AM

Conquistador, on January 26 2013 - 02:32 AM, said:

Of course mate, the thread never closes :) If you got something, I want it, lol
Posted Image

#128 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted January 26 2013 - 09:44 AM

ArnieF4440, on January 26 2013 - 02:44 AM, said:

Conquistador, on January 26 2013 - 02:32 AM, said:

Of course mate, the thread never closes :) If you got something, I want it, lol

Here's a few, mainly related to the HEAT cannon and the scout. I re-read your entire first post to make sure I wasn't overlapping my suggestions with someone else's. I'll be adding Infiltrator data on the post directly below, so make sure you read it, haha.

HEAT Cannon:
While people preach the good word of the charged shot, don't forget that your DPS is actually higher if you fire uncharged shots as soon as they become available. This is incredibly useful in open terrain environments where burst fire isn't as important. Just keep in mind uncharged shots do not consistently provide the AOE explosion that charged shots do, so make sure you learn to factor in the projectile's travel time and land direct hits on your target. Your sustained fire shots for the uncharged HEAT will give you just enough extra damage to matter... provided you can land every round.

General Scout Overview:
You are the fastest, most mobile class in the game, and your ability lets you dodge, boost, or fly much longer than other mechs. Use this unparalleled mobility to boost behind Heavy mechs, and close to CQC where the power of your flak cannon really shines through. The power of the scout lies in "peakaboo", so make sure you keep yourself situationally aware of the closest piece of cover to duck behind. Oh, and run detonator. Detonator is a natural ally of the scout's TOW.

Flak Scout:
In a variant of "blitzing", when using FLAK to fight other TOW-equipped light mechs, the "facehugger" strategy becomes extremely useful. Stagger your weapons fire so that you fire your TOW at your opponent while you're out of the AOE range of your own rocket, then immediately close to point-blank. Your FLAK cannon has the highest burst in the game, and you can safely outdamage your enemy while he uses his primary to chip away at you. If your enemy makes the incorrect choice to fire a TOW or other explosive at you pointblank, punish him for it by making him eat his own explosion. This strategy will almost guarantee you a win against other A class mechs (and even the reaper or another scout , provided you get the first shot in). Your mileage may vary using this tactic against B and C classes, simply because they have more HP than you do.

HEAT Scout:
I'm partial to this combination, and even I admit it may be "too good". The HEAT naturally complements the TOW because both weapons are projectiles and travel straight towards their targets. The HEAT travels faster than the TOW, so at long range, learn to time your shots so that your TOW and charged HEAT connect at approximately the same time (or in quick succession), which can provide enough combined force to knock sharpshooters off their perches (or even juggle enemies in place, which is still useful but not as severe with the stunlock nerf). At close range, only fire your weapons together when in an open terrain situation, where DPS matters.

Certain forms of cover complement the HEAT+TOW combo extremely well, such as the missile silo. When in CQC you can use the splash of both weapons to hit an enemy (on the other side of the silo) without ever exposing yourself. Simply splash the floor around the silo past corner nearest the enemy with the weapon matching that corner (i.e. HEAT when firing past the left corner, TOW when firing past the right corner).

Edited by Conquistador, January 26 2013 - 10:33 AM.

Posted Image

#129 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted January 26 2013 - 10:07 AM

Also, here`s some EOC and Infil stuff.

EOC Repeater:
By far the goofiest weapon in the game, the EOC repeater is a charged minelayer fires a maximum of six pucks and the pucks detonate after a short downtime. The EOC currently does 210 damage (higher than double a charged HEAT shot), provided all mines connect.

Timing is EVERYTHING with the EOC. Direct hits are monstrously rewarding on the EOC, but the difficulty tied to the weapon's firing delay makes it non-ideal for beginners. The EOC also has the highest skill floor and skill ceiling of all HAWKEN weapons, so don't expect to do extremely well with it at first. You need a specific mindset to use the EOC Repeater effectively, so treat it as a "FUN GUN" and don't play too seriously with it.

Learn to lead before firing the weapon, and adjust your aim accordingly directly after firing to compensate for the delay between pucks. The EOC is really good at punishing stationary targets or targets that have predictable movement patterns (like hovering in one direction or boosting directly towards you), so it makes it perfect for kiting your opponent if he`s charging headfirst to kill your sorry ass. If you manage to lead your opponent into a foxhunt, carpet bomb the path you predict he`ll follow (or a convenient choke point along the way) to pursue you, and lure him onto the minefield. Ambush him by charging up a second volley of six mines, and try to hit him with it as the minefield detonates. Combined with your secondary weapon, light classes will evaporate if done correctly.

Infiltrator Overview:

Infiltrator is actually more about stealth and cunning than sheer speed. (If you want speed, play scout.) Because you cannot outrace your enemy in infiltrator, you must outfox him. HEAT+GL  is particularly good for this, because both weapons don't need line of sight. In fact, if you're savvy, you can kill an opponent without them ever seeing you, by virtue of GL geometry and bouncing grenades, paired with splashing HEAT aoe around corners. It is, by far, the most challenging and rewarding A Mech to play. Charging HEAT becomes a non-issue when you strafe in and out of cover, so it's safe to say infiltrators sneak in and out of fights from the flank, and don't charge headfirst into the fray. Even your special ability masks you from radar (and some graphics cards), and your small hit box makes you a perfect hit and run guerilla machine. You are an ambush predator, not an open terrain duelist. Unless you're extremely skilled with infiltrator, leave the dueling to the classes optimized for it.

If you haven't noticed, I don`t recommend AR on the Infiltrator. If you run Assault Rifle, you essentially become a weaker Berserker in sustained-fire combat, minus the nifty damage boost ability that makes the Berserker such a good open-terrain duelist. Swap to HEAT as soon as humanly possible.

EOC Infiltrator:
This primary fills a very specific niche for the infil. I play EOC Repeater on infiltrator like I'm using a HEAT cannon with no splash, and favor stealthy flank attacks with that weapon. You're a less effective dueler, but a much better assassin. EOC infils are by far the deadliest ambush predators in the game, able to instagib light classes and damaged b mechs with a combination of the stealth ability, a fully charged eoc, gl, and he-grenade. This combination likewise punishes enemies who repair too close to the battlefield, because if they aren't moving, they can't dodge the EOC. Kick them while they're down, sport!

Edited by Conquistador, January 26 2013 - 10:24 AM.

Posted Image

#130 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted January 26 2013 - 04:33 PM

Nice~ will update a bit later today :)
Posted Image

#131 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted January 27 2013 - 05:02 PM

Updated Conquistador. the first post has actually run out of space, lol, so I'm moving the FAQs elsewhere XD

Edited by ArnieF4440, January 27 2013 - 05:30 PM.

Posted Image

#132 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted January 27 2013 - 05:25 PM

FAQ's are now here, outta space, lol

FAQs
Spoiler

Edited by ArnieF4440, April 04 2014 - 07:45 PM.

Posted Image

#133 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted January 27 2013 - 05:27 PM

Technical and computer stuff moved here:
Technical/computer
Spoiler

Edited by ArnieF4440, November 27 2013 - 04:47 PM.

Posted Image

#134 GN010

GN010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationPH GMT+8

Posted January 27 2013 - 07:54 PM

Detonator

for SS and Reapers wait until it hits the target or better yet fire both primary and secondary weapons all at once to give campers a surprise they will never forget.

my estimates for reaper since I am using one(damage combined with secondary weapon, KE-Sabot)..
class B 40~50% damage
class A 50~65% damage

not sure with class C but given that you are going to fight that mech use precision overdrive...then hide.

*edit
- detonator doesn't produce noticeable noise which makes this very reliable when striking from places where they least expect.
- in CQC use this the way you use H.E., launch and dash then strike for more damage.

Edited by GN010, January 27 2013 - 08:04 PM.

public enum MECHS {
SHARPSHOOTER_LV25, REAPER_LV25, SCOUT_LV25, BRUISER_LV25, BRUISER_LV25, ROCKETEER_LV25, CRT_RECRUIT_LV20,
BRAWLER_LV1, GRENADIER_LV11
};//GN010 current mechs, plays @ us-west servers but located in gmt+8. @author gn010 @since 12/2012

#135 wolfyFTW

wolfyFTW

Mindgamer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted January 28 2013 - 11:12 PM

Heya Arnie, mind throwing the links to my videos under the videos section_ Otherwise, the posts that I make every time I come out with a new episode eventually get buried and no one knows about them :(

Code links for easy copy/pasting
http://www.youtube.com/watch_v=utIkdNc2xhA

http://www.youtube.com/watch_v=dmy7BEq8twc

http://www.youtube.com/watch_v=zON-G_BxPw8

http://www.youtube.com/watch_v=vmXEwcdMwtg

http://www.youtube.com/watch_v=-AyzNifXSFA

*edit* added the latest one too

Edited by wolfyFTW, January 30 2013 - 01:02 PM.

#136 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted January 30 2013 - 07:02 PM

Well, I'm gonna be without reliable internet for about a month XD. I dunno how well I'll be able to update the thread and I'll be off the game for that time too XD

EDIT: wolfyFTW, I've added the vids, can't put any more media elements in the thread though, so I've just kept the links XD

Edited by ArnieF4440, January 30 2013 - 07:31 PM.

Posted Image

#137 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted January 30 2013 - 11:44 PM

ArnieF4440, on January 27 2013 - 05:02 PM, said:

Updated Conquistador. the first post has actually run out of space, lol, so I'm moving the FAQs elsewhere XD

I realized I just made a typo in the EOC Repeater description. also, after even more playtesting, I'd like to append more information to the description. The altered EOC repeater overview is below:

EOC Repeater:
By far the goofiest weapon in the game, the EOC repeater is a charged minelayer that fires a maximum of six pucks, and the pucks detonate after a short downtime. The EOC currently does 210 damage (higher than double a charged HEAT shot), provided all mines connect. Charged shots do a mixture of kinetic damage (when the mines hit) and explosive damage (when the mines detonate). Fully-charged minefields do a maximum of 150 damage if an opponent walks over them.

Please correct these when you get the chance, haha. I've highlighted the changes in red.
Posted Image

#138 space_

space_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationIt came from space

Posted February 05 2013 - 05:47 AM

Curving your hellfires...

Interesting little trick I just started doing.. Get a lock keep your mouse on your target... press fire and quickly move your mouse away from your locked target and back onto it.. if done quickly enough the missiles will fire in a direction other then head onto the target and curve into the target..

Doing this up seems to work really nice.. so you aquire lock.. press fire.. quickly move mouse up and then down back onto target.. you can curve missiles over walls to hit targets behind if done correctly.. keep in mind you have to get your mouse quickly back onto the target before your lock is lost.

Have fun!
"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the Gun."

"THREE!"

#139 Disrupted

Disrupted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted February 07 2013 - 03:04 PM

Hiya, is it okay if I post a thread(that I don't own) in here to be added into the mech guides list_ I think the thread is really useful and would help a lot of people, I just don't know if thread owner consent is required. At any rate here is the actual thread: http://community.pla...he-basic-guide/

But if it's still unacceptable, I can take what I personally wrote in the other thread to be shared here.
"You called down the thunder, now reap the whirlwind."
Nerf everything_ Nerf everything!

#140 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted February 07 2013 - 08:15 PM

Disrupted, on February 07 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

Hiya, is it okay if I post a thread(that I don't own) in here to be added into the mech guides list_ I think the thread is really useful and would help a lot of people, I just don't know if thread owner consent is required. At any rate here is the actual thread: http://community.pla...he-basic-guide/

But if it's still unacceptable, I can take what I personally wrote in the other thread to be shared here.
thats NP, anything that helps inform players is good by me :). I'll have a look at it and add it in a bit :)
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta, Community, Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users