HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

HAWKEN Tips and Tricks Thread

Beta Community Game

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#101 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted December 13 2012 - 09:29 PM

View PostS4__, on December 13 2012 - 09:26 PM, said:

suprised this isnt a sticky
it was, got unstickied after the forum downtime ... asked the devs ...
Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#102 RecoilS14

RecoilS14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted December 13 2012 - 09:56 PM

Stick and move!

Dont just stay in the same area and fight. Hit a guy for a bit, get the kill if you can and then boost outta the area. Heal if neccessary and get back at it.

I regularly go through TDM and Seige maps without getting more than a couple deaths with this tactic and a ton of kills. Be patient, sneak up on guys. STICK AND MOVE!!

#103 InfestedFirman

InfestedFirman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationTop of the scoreboard

Posted December 14 2012 - 03:12 AM

The opening post is really outdated but the rest of the thread is pretty good. I'll post my share of tips, hope they haven't been made redundant.

1) For the love of God, stick to your region in matchmaking. You are effectively handicapping yourself by playing with a ping of 200-400 while other players have below 100. In Hawken, every bit of a second counts towards getting that kill or ensuring your survival and making a mistake that could have been avoided if you had a better ping is the second worst feeling in Hawken. The first would be having someone like that on your team.

2) I'm sure this one has been repeated time and time again, Always stay close to your team. It's the number one rule (So why isn't this at Number 1_ Good question) in Hawken. Your chances of survival are multiplied along with your kill rate. So what's not to like_ A wolf pack of Mechs hunting down lone wolves guarantees experience and victory for your team even if they're just beginners.

3) Never ever get tunnel vision while playing Hawken, Always be mindful of your surroundings and make use of that fancy HUD the developers blessed us with. Frequent glances at your heat level and radar can help avoid sticky situations. For example, overheat in the midst of a firefight and you're pretty much toast. Checking your opponents positions through the radar helps you decide your own course of action. Do you fight them head-on or do you run like the fuzzy bunny intelligent player you are_ More on that later.

4) RUN'N'GUN! I'll assume you are a beginner with little to no experience with Hawken. As a newbie, you can't hope to get your first kill the instant you plop yourself into a match. " This isn't CoD! " as someone pointed out. Your best bet to rack up experience points early on would be to stick close to your team, fire some rounds and a TOW rocket or two at the enemy who's too focused on something else and then move away. Yes, you might not be able to deal much damage, but chipping away at an enemy's health while someone else gets the killing blow is enough to net you an assist, which is a pretty sweet thing in itself.

5) No one likes dying, right_ Well, tell that to the retards who go 0/6/3 in the first few minutes. One thing Hawken players tend ot forget is to always do your best to survive. There is no shame in retreating from a losing firefight as it denies the enemy team Energy Units (for Siege Mode) and kills (Which is important in DM and TDM). After all, We were given the repair button for a reason. One nifty trick while running away from the enemy is to run towards an ally instead of just dashing around randomly. It's a pretty nasty move to pull off towards your teammates as they might die but the benefit pays off:

i) Your pursuers are distracted by the new targets, thus improving your chance of survival.
ii) Your team may be able to turn the tables and inflict some casualties on the other team.
iii) You'll be left with one of the most pleasant feelings after escaping with only 10 HP. Feelsgoodman.jpg

Of course, it wouldn't be so nasty if your team had Teamspeak and were able to warn each other before pulling this off. But stacked teams have not been implemented yet so beggars can't be choosers!

One important part to staying alive is to never stay still! Always be on the move whether you're in a firefight or just idling around, waiting for an opportunity to kill. Staying still presents yourself as an easy target to the enemy and static targets will be focused on. By simply dashing around and using your jump jets (without overdoing it, of course. See point 7) in duels and firefights, your chances of staying alive are dramatically improved.

6) Help that friend in need! This is a team game after all. If you see a mass of red dots converging on an allied Mech, be a bro and help him out. If he's read this guide like you did, he's probably running towards you! An offensive iteration of this would be to help your ally pick off a runner. For instance, teammate takes the left turn to chase, you take the right turn to catch the escapee off guard.

7) Now, this is another thing most players forget, conserve your fuel! The deciding factor for most fights (1V1's and skirmishes) is who can dodge each other's shots the most, and you can't do that with an empty fuel tank. If there are no teammates that are in need nor detected enemies to hunt down, just walk instead of hovering and dashing everywhere. This also brings up my next point which is learn to use cover and dash to avoid damage, this can only come through experience as you explore every nook and cranny each map has to offer. It's pretty sad to see a Mech attempt to dodge a barrage of Hellfire missiles, only to slam into a wall and get hit by the salvo anyway.

8) Given the small field of view and miserable turn rate every mech has. It's only natural we take advantage of it and flank an opponent's side and rear every chance you get. You have no idea how annoying it is to be shot at from multiple angles, especially when you're busy shooting something else. Even a lone Mech who breaks off from the main group to flank the opponents can deal some devastating damage. I should know because I've been on both ends. This strategy is especially effective in open maps such as Bazaar (The desert one) and Prosk (The city one). A successful flanker will throw the entire opponent's team into disarray and net some kills, albeit cheap ones.

9) This one is specific to Assaults, Scouts, and other fast mechs. If you notice enemy Mech with low health breaking off from a skirmish, do your best to finish him off. It's likely that he ran off to find a safe place to repair, giving you a ripe opportunity to score a kill. Stay away from other enemies while you give chase towards that Mech. The only time this is not applicable is when you are positively sure that you would have died if you attempted to pick off said Mech. How do we make that decision_ Good judgement, of course; and "good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Thanks, Will Rogers!

10) I'll give you a hypothetical situation, you've just finished dueling another Mech in a 1V1 situation and although you're badly damaged, you emerge as the victor. Now, the logical thing would be to repair immediately right_ WRONG! Always run towards your team or a safe spot after a 1V1 situation. The reason for this is because any competent player would have been alerted to the gunfire / radar and would rush in to help. Having an enemy Bruiser atomize you with rockets while you were holding down the C button is definitely not on your to-do list.

11) Like all team-based games, communication is vital, let your team know what you are doing! Even a short and simple message through teamchat such as "Going S1", "Get to AA", "Flanking Bruiser", "Stick together" and whatnot makes a difference. Back in my Alpha2 and Closed Beta2 days where there were dedicated server listings, people could join any game they wanted, This paved the way for friends and stacked teams with Teamspeak and mics, and I can tell you this; playing against them was a nightmare. How am I supposed to fight a group of Mechs with unparalled coordination while I have a bunch of monkeys on my team!_

In case you didn't know, press Y to toggle all chat and T to toggle teamchat ingame, just don't abuse it and spam nonsensical things because it's nice to be nice.

I'll add more as I think up of new tips. have fun!

Edited by InfestedFirman, December 14 2012 - 09:18 AM.

New to Hawken_ Check this Master Guidelist out!

[llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll] - Clever Response Loading.... Please wait.

#104 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 04:55 AM

View PostInfestedFirman, on December 14 2012 - 03:12 AM, said:

The opening post is really outdated but the rest of the thread is pretty good. I'll post my share of tips, hope they haven't been made redundant.

Updating soon mate, just enjoying the game, lol. Most of the stuff is still valid though, stats ... probably not XD.

EDIT: most of the content is verified, check out the notes in red. mech and weapon stats ... no.

I'll update the new tips soon

Edited by ArnieF4440, December 14 2012 - 05:36 PM.

Posted Image
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#105 dreadclaw

dreadclaw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted December 18 2012 - 10:53 PM

Awesome work Arnie Thank you for this tips compilation.

#106 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted December 18 2012 - 10:58 PM

View Postdreadclaw, on December 18 2012 - 10:53 PM, said:

Awesome work Arnie Thank you for this tips compilation.
No probs, Just updating the thread now after a couple days of learning new mechanics ... and just plain old playing the game, lol

Things I'm adding/updating:
tips I haven't updated yet XD
EU Trickling during siege and the rules around it
Siege Battleships and base turrets ...
Some (more ...) stuff about hellfires

and various other updates for it to be up to date with OB

EDIT: done some, now for the rest

Edited by ArnieF4440, December 18 2012 - 11:32 PM.

Posted Image

#107 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted December 20 2012 - 04:50 PM

Added a FAQ's and finished updating/making the useful threads list. If there's anything that needs to be answer that isn't already there, pop it here
Posted Image

#108 Greenfox21

Greenfox21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationGermany, Hessen

Posted December 23 2012 - 02:48 AM

TIP for anti sniping.

DON'T stand there and attack a siper. When you were hit first... It's a sure death 1vs1.
DON'T hide in areas which are visible to the enemy sniper... he only needs to see a few mm of you to score a deathly hit, when you'r already hardly alive.
DON'T ever stand still... seriously.. most kills i get are these..
DON'T move straightforward with thrusters to AA on Origin... if you notice getting snipped from afar.. simply go into a hideing hole. Till you'r at AA you will have suffered half your hp as loss or more. And enemys being inside AA or around.. will laugh at you and gift you an TOW instant death.
DON'T jump with the pads to the upper AA plattform on Origiin.. IF there is a Sniper somewhere. It's like inviting someone to shot flying ducks in a given row. Follow, Aim and Shoot the duck! Same with Straightforward rush to AA.. will end up in 50% or less health. And if you'r not going to get a repair in.. you'r death before you find the sniper most likely (1vs1).
DON'T go into turret mode on your own plattform and attack the AA, if theres a Snipe ron enemy team.. seriuosly.. i have all the time in the world killing these guys.
DON'T really DON'T repair anywhere which is visible to an enemy sniper. Ask you'r sniper teammates where it's safe if you want a fully explanation. Ingame i will tell you.

Snipers tend to be camping on one spot. (myself included)
Cause these spot are the best visibilty spots for them. Mostly the wall before it goes down to the Energy collection rings on Origin or the Hideout bunkers before the AA in Sahahra. To counter one sniper you need either:
-2 people
-2 TOW's
-2 Hellfires
-2Snipers

And attack him with you'r strongest weaqpon and wait for the hit. Till you use you'r primary...
If you use you'r primary before "missle warning" comes to me. I CAN REALLY doge these well.

Ganging up behind a sniper is the most valuable tactic. As he doesn't have eyes behind him. Only way that he knows theres someone is putting an radar somewhere behind him or an MG turret. And when you hit the cqc with a sniper. DOGE he still is able to hit you with a lot smack, if hes good. And if hes good he can survive till his friends are there to bash you in the face ^^. So doge and try to aim with the tow/co there were he will likely be in a few seconds.

I am writing stuff here how to counter me..
But i have no hopes that people will actually start playing more skillfull (overall ^^).

We need that clan system now ^!!

Edited by Greenfox21, December 23 2012 - 02:49 AM.

Love is like an Exotherme Reaction. As soon as it started, it will grow infintly.
Till it used up all the matter which let it react all that time~
Just be careful, how much of that matter you burn up for each second of your love.
You don't want to burn yourself on Love~

#109 womb

womb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted December 23 2012 - 03:20 AM

Quick tip: don't keep flying everytime! Hovering is good when used in the correct situations, but not everytime you encounter an enemy.

Posted Image

#110 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted December 23 2012 - 04:40 PM

View PostGreenfox21, on December 23 2012 - 02:48 AM, said:

TIP for anti sniping.

DON'T stand there and attack a siper. When you were hit first... It's a sure death 1vs1.
DON'T hide in areas which are visible to the enemy sniper... he only needs to see a few mm of you to score a deathly hit, when you'r already hardly alive.
DON'T ever stand still... seriously.. most kills i get are these..
DON'T move straightforward with thrusters to AA on Origin... if you notice getting snipped from afar.. simply go into a hideing hole. Till you'r at AA you will have suffered half your hp as loss or more. And enemys being inside AA or around.. will laugh at you and gift you an TOW instant death.
DON'T jump with the pads to the upper AA plattform on Origiin.. IF there is a Sniper somewhere. It's like inviting someone to shot flying ducks in a given row. Follow, Aim and Shoot the duck! Same with Straightforward rush to AA.. will end up in 50% or less health. And if you'r not going to get a repair in.. you'r death before you find the sniper most likely (1vs1).
DON'T go into turret mode on your own plattform and attack the AA, if theres a Snipe ron enemy team.. seriuosly.. i have all the time in the world killing these guys.
DON'T really DON'T repair anywhere which is visible to an enemy sniper. Ask you'r sniper teammates where it's safe if you want a fully explanation. Ingame i will tell you.

Snipers tend to be camping on one spot. (myself included)
Cause these spot are the best visibilty spots for them. Mostly the wall before it goes down to the Energy collection rings on Origin or the Hideout bunkers before the AA in Sahahra. To counter one sniper you need either:
-2 people
-2 TOW's
-2 Hellfires
-2Snipers

And attack him with you'r strongest weaqpon and wait for the hit. Till you use you'r primary...
If you use you'r primary before "missle warning" comes to me. I CAN REALLY doge these well.

Ganging up behind a sniper is the most valuable tactic. As he doesn't have eyes behind him. Only way that he knows theres someone is putting an radar somewhere behind him or an MG turret. And when you hit the cqc with a sniper. DOGE he still is able to hit you with a lot smack, if hes good. And if hes good he can survive till his friends are there to bash you in the face ^^. So doge and try to aim with the tow/co there were he will likely be in a few seconds.

I am writing stuff here how to counter me..
But i have no hopes that people will actually start playing more skillfull (overall ^^).

We need that clan system now ^!!

Haha, sweet. Is it in the sharpy tips and tricks thread_ Would be pretty good there too :) Adding later

View Postwomb, on December 23 2012 - 03:20 AM, said:

Quick tip: don't keep flying everytime! Hovering is good when used in the correct situations, but not everytime you encounter an enemy.

Its already there XD, but i've added you anyway

Edited by ArnieF4440, December 23 2012 - 04:48 PM.

Posted Image

#111 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted January 07 2013 - 11:52 PM

Yeesh, been a bit of a tip drought recently ... anyways, I've added a couple and updated the thread with more FAQs and added a technical section for computer stuff XD
Posted Image

#112 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted January 12 2013 - 01:10 AM

Thread updated with placeholders for the new A-class mech:
http://community.pla...preview-reaper/
Posted Image

#113 CaptainCiboulette

CaptainCiboulette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationIn the Great Sailing

Posted January 12 2013 - 01:54 AM

Oh a tips & tricks thread!!!

Grenadier Tips

-If ever you feel the Rev-GL would let you downwhen you first buy this thing, well dont be!!! It has powerful damage which combines rate of fire and splash damage. if you ask me, the other alt primarys dont owrk out for this mech.

-You can detonate the Grenade Launcher in mid-air by pressing the trigger button once more. (You might already know this :D) So when in a fire fight, and you see your spiked ball miss, try to detonate it at will, your opponent might be caught in the blast.

-Try to ambush than confronting others in a duel. You'll need to rack up your shots more securely to increase your survivability.

-Use the turret ability when holding a critical point. it Increases the damage your already high damage weapons and reduces the damage you take. works better if youre backed up.

-try taking on enemeies in a closed space. Both grenades would often ricochet from the walls, Just be careful of your own grenades jumping back to you because its can hurt you.

-When starting out with the Grenadier and dont have enough money to buy more useful items, try using the HE Charge to ambush enemies. Normally, if you hurl all three weapons simoultaneously to an unsuspectng target, they'll get blown up immediately.

-The Rev-GL can arc very far away, so you can play a little support role of a mobile mortar. But dont do this when youre alone, you'll let out a Radar Signature for your enemies to locate you.

-When in a firefight, try to reverse when lobbing granades to your target, so you cannot hurt yourself with your own weapons.

-When dealing with High Speed Class A mechs, try to lob your Grenade Launcher spikeballs on his sides rather directly. Your target might dodge on the path of the spikeball, or you can detonate it yourself to deal splash damage.

-Lastly, relax and sit tight on tough situations, you'll need to take aim rather than dodge hopelessly since you are a big target for sub-weapons

Well thats about what I can give based on my experience. Oh and Grenadiers are more suited on support roles rather than direct combat due to their tricky weapon loadout.

Oh and i HOpe too I am not getting redudundant if someone already posted something like this, I just want to share my own.

Edited by CaptainCiboulette, January 12 2013 - 01:58 AM.

#114 flimsy

flimsy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted January 12 2013 - 03:44 AM

View Postwomb, on December 23 2012 - 03:20 AM, said:

To expand on this, there are several major reasons you should never hover except in very specific circumstances. First of all, when you hover, you cannot dodge. You may be able to confuse new players, but an experienced player will just dodge under you and line up a shot. Even if they don't manage to kill you, when you land you will be low on fuel. Again your opponent will be able to dodge, while you cannot. Finally, even if you manage to finish someone off, you'll then be stuck with whatever health you had at the end of the fight, and no fuel. The next guy around the corner is going to finish you off easily.

Conserve your fuel. The only time I ever hover is to very briefly poke up over cover to make a killing shot on a weak enemy. In pretty much every other circumstance, you're better off having saved the fuel.

#115 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted January 12 2013 - 05:23 PM

View Postmaschas, on January 12 2013 - 03:44 AM, said:

-snip-
Cheers for the elaboration

View PostCaptainCiboulette, on January 12 2013 - 01:54 AM, said:

-snip-

Oh and i HOpe too I am not getting redudundant if someone already posted something like this, I just want to share my own.
No worries, been looking for some grenadier tips, haven't played that mech much XD. I've put the tips/tricks where it fits :)

thread Updated
Posted Image

#116 Sadukar

Sadukar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted January 16 2013 - 06:35 PM

Nice thread thanks for all the info
I think the best advice for this game is : have fun or eat a tow trying
If you are a solo guy play a deathmatch not a TEAM deathmatch or siege to ruin the balance and the game for everybody and go off chasing birds alone you have nothing to gain.

Clans clans clans
If you do not see this signature don't worry it is not really invisible, its infiltrating, look closely and you might see some distorsion,

#117 Command0Dude

Command0Dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted January 18 2013 - 04:04 AM

On this tip under "Long Posts"

9) This one is specific to Assaults, Scouts, and other fast mechs. If you notice enemy Mech with low health breaking off from a skirmish, do your best to finish him off. It's likely that he ran off to find a safe place to repair, giving you a ripe opportunity to score a kill. Stay away from other enemies while you give chase towards that Mech. The only time this is not applicable is when you are positively sure that you would have died if you attempted to pick off said Mech. How do we make that decision_ Good judgement, of course; and "good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Thanks, Will Rogers!

I would alter this underlined section. In my opinion there is only two good reasons to chase down a fleeing mech, which are either 1) They are only running a very short distance away and thus are stopping to repair or 2) There's a large open area ahead where you can shoot them from range.

Pilots should never pursue an enemy to the point of going deep into their territory (near base) or if they start circling around buildings. The latter is extremely dangerous since it means you're A: Obviously not catching the guy, and B: Developing tunnel syndrome and ignoring the enemy team that is assuredly converging on you.

Even if they're at 10 hp. Resist the urge to think "Damnit I know I can kill this guy if I can get just ONE clear shot." Chances are if you doggedly pursue you'll end up not only not getting the kill but getting killed yourself.

Edited by Command0Dude, January 18 2013 - 04:06 AM.

#118 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted January 19 2013 - 05:43 PM

Thread updated based on 24/01/2013 patch notes
http://community.pla...te-patch-notes/
Posted Image

#119 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted January 24 2013 - 06:37 PM

Thread updated with placeholders for the new reaper weapons and the updated abilities, and items
  • Abilities
    • Power shot
    • Precision Overdrive (lasts 5.7 seconds)
  • Weapons
    • AM-SAR
      • unscoped damage = 30
      • scoped damage = ___
    • Hawkins-RPR
      • unscoped damage = ___
      • scoped damage = ___
    • KE-Sabot
      • unscoped damage = 87
      • scoped damage = 97
  • Items
    • Detonator = 165 damage
EDIT: Filling in some stats here, check out h0b0's stats also, they'll be updated and a bit more accurate.

Edited by ArnieF4440, January 24 2013 - 07:20 PM.

Posted Image

#120 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted January 24 2013 - 07:11 PM

View PostArnieF4440, on January 24 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

Thread updated with placeholders for the new reaper weapons and the updated abilities, and items
  • Abilities
    • Power shot
    • Precision Overdrive (lasts 5.7 seconds)
  • Weapons
    • AM-SAR
      • unscoped damage = 30
      • scoped damage = ___
    • Hawkins-RPR
      • unscoped damage = ___
      • scoped damage = ___
    • KE-Sabot
      • unscoped damage = 87
      • scoped damage = 97
  • Items
    • Detonator = 165 damage
How are you testing your numbers_
According to the tests done by SK, KE-Sabot does 90 unscoped and 100 scoped, while the Detonator is doing 169 damage.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta, Community, Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users