HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

HAWKEN Tips and Tricks Thread

Beta Community Game

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#141 Paintingbuddha

Paintingbuddha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationCenter of the Universe

Posted February 09 2013 - 07:57 AM

Here are two little tips from me:

EMP

- When sitting inside the AA (siege map) as a Brawler or any other Turret Mode mech, you often get jumped by enemies in close quarter combat. Having an EMP ready for those doods is always a nice surprise. Have your team pick em off as they are defenseless.

SIEGE games

- We successfully played a few games where we NEVER left AA. If we needed energy, we took it off our valiant enemies whose mangled bodies splashed against our fortified position like the angry sea against a sharp and pointy cliff. Nice side effect: You get tons of EXP for holding the AA AND the games tend to last longer.

#142 GunnRdog

GunnRdog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted February 12 2013 - 01:34 PM

How do you set a place on the map for everyone to gather_ I know M brings up the map, but I've been in games where someone would set a "waypoint" or a place to concentrate on and I couldn't see how to do that. Thanks

#143 Incriminated

Incriminated

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted February 12 2013 - 02:07 PM

Of course there are lots of useful strategic tips for mission typed missile-silo and battle-ship-siege.

Missile silo.

1. Needless to say: always rush the nearest silo.
2. Check radar on that, if multiple enemies camping on that, check ot next nearest.
3. When Team owns 2 Silos at least, camp the silo to fire the missile at enemy base, is objective.
4. When firing a silo, keep an eye on your radar for incoming enemys.
5. When firing a silo, double check the HUD if enemy team is taking the second Silo you own.
6. More than 1 mech camping an silo-radius is useless.

To rule a game most effectively as a team in a 6v6, 4 guys have to rush through the middle as team, getting S2 and covering enemy ways to S1/S3. The other 2 guys go seperate ways and take the other silo each. Then each silo gets a camper and the other 3 stick together try to hold the other team back at their base.

Battleship-Siege:

1. Use EU optimisations and EU-Canisters.
2. Having the team focused in rushing inside the AA-radius-circle is more important, than collecting EU and getting a ship ready.
3. Always cover the person with biggest EU-capacity at the collection point, NOT stepping inside.
4. While 1 mech is fast collecting and having at least 1 mech covering him up, rest of the team urgently need to rush the other E-Point.
5. If both E-Points are secured and collecting, check the AA.
6. Always check how much Energy is needed, do not over-collect, when EU can be deployed, instead move to Anti-Air.
7. Always check radar and put "Energy needed" in concern with how many people are boosting back to base.
8. I cannot repeat often enough that control over the AA overpowers any super fast EU-collecting team.
9. Shooting on enemy Ship has low priority but can be highly recommended when getting the AA is impossible for your team
10. The moment, enemy ship explodes, enemy is high likely to retreat from AA, start collecting or bringing back EU to base. 1 mech has to collect the EU from teammates dropped, the others have to regain AA immediately. Usally your ship starts first then and you got the AA.

As a perfect team you absolutely rule it this way. Just control the AA, sending small teams to the E-Points. This small teams may even abort collection and rush through the middle, when enemy team is to tough focused on the AA, because nothing gives more power than the AA.

Starting a ship while enemy has 6 on the AA is the worst thing you can do. If enemy ship started, focus everything on the AA and strictly abort collecting EU. If theres just 100 EU needed left and you carrying 100 EU while the hole party starts at the AA, do not boost back to base. Your firing power is needed at the AA, your team winning the AA starts your ship nearly automatically, while loosing the AA and starting the Ship evaporates 800 EU. Always keep that in mind and try to trick-tackle enemy team into that... for example in NOT killing an enemy that retreats to load off EU, in that situation. Let him start, while you hold the AA.

With 2 mech covering area between Enemy and the AA and 1 mech on each E-Point-Flank to cover the 1 mech with EU-optimisations/canister (up to 370) per E-Point you totally rule the game, starting ships ultra-fast when needed, always controlling the AA. When ship is started, these 2 mechs help in clearing up the front. If rare case happens that enemy starts ship, retreat from bashing enemy at base into the AA-circle to take it down fast.

Edited by Incriminated, February 12 2013 - 02:38 PM.

"scared to death, scared to look, they shook, 'cause ain't no such things as halfway crooks"

#144 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted February 13 2013 - 07:52 AM

Sweet, new tips :D and a question :D

GunnRdog, on February 12 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

How do you set a place on the map for everyone to gather_ I know M brings up the map, but I've been in games where someone would set a "waypoint" or a place to concentrate on and I couldn't see how to do that. Thanks

There's a button in the map interface that says "set waypoint" or something along those lines, with the Map interface's squinty eye text its a little hard to read, but it's in a rectangular box.  You click that and then click where you wanna set the waypoint on the map ... I dunno if that's changed since the last patch though.

Since I've got poor internet that could mess up the post, I'll just put and update any pending changes here. Changes may be pending until March 3rd when I get my good internet back XD:
Adding/updating from the following posts:
http://community.pla...120#entry190357
http://community.pla...120#entry193923
http://community.pla...120#entry199010
http://community.pla...120#entry201012
http://community.pla...140#entry202563
http://community.pla...140#entry205241

Adding links to useful threads list:
Infiltrator 101: http://community.pla...he-basic-guide/
Sil's thread on radar signatures, etc: http://community.pla...ring-and-radar/
Beginners guide to hawken: http://community.pla...uide-to-hawken/
Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#145 Celticmech

Celticmech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted February 14 2013 - 09:51 PM

Hi sorry to be a bother but I am unable to find the keys to use my offencsive and support items, can you please help, only fairly new

#146 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted February 14 2013 - 09:53 PM

1 and 2 are default.

Check your configs for more info the config icon ingame looks like 3 horizontal bars.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#147 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted February 14 2013 - 09:55 PM

Celticmech, on February 14 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

Hi sorry to be a bother but I am unable to find the keys to use my offencsive and support items, can you please help, only fairly new
Lol, np. By default, the keybindings are as follows:
Mouse scrollwheel = toggle between items
R = use item
1 = select offensive item AND use it
2 = select defensive item AND use it

You can check your keybindings in the settings. Ingame there's an icon on the top right which has 3 bars and the settings are in there

EDIT: H0b0!!!
Posted Image
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#148 Celticmech

Celticmech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted February 14 2013 - 09:59 PM

h0B0, on February 14 2013 - 09:53 PM, said:

1 and 2 are default.

Check your configs for more info the config icon ingame looks like 3 horizontal bars.

TYVM :)

#149 ExtremeUnction

ExtremeUnction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationFilling caskets in NW US

Posted February 15 2013 - 02:00 AM

So, I just want to clarify. If you buy an item, you only buy it for that mech, correct_ So, if I buy a shield or an internal, I only unlock it for that mech and I have to buy it again for any other mech_

#150 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted February 15 2013 - 02:55 AM

ExtremeUnction, on February 15 2013 - 02:00 AM, said:

So, I just want to clarify. If you buy an item, you only buy it for that mech, correct_ So, if I buy a shield or an internal, I only unlock it for that mech and I have to buy it again for any other mech_

Yeah. Items, etc are mech specific. Adhesive are designing and working on an account wide inventory system. We'll just have to see what happens then
Posted Image

#151 Hushkey

Hushkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted February 25 2013 - 11:01 PM

Not sure if this has bee nsaid already. For team deathmatch, watch for flanks, opportunity for flanks, stick together, and give any enemy location as often as possible.

#152 _Caffeine_

_Caffeine_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 10:09 AM

ArnieF4440, on February 14 2013 - 09:55 PM, said:

Celticmech, on February 14 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

Lol, np. By default, the keybindings are as follows:
Mouse scrollwheel = toggle between items
R = use item
1 = select offensive item AND use it
2 = select defensive item AND use it

You can check your keybindings in the settings. Ingame there's an icon on the top right which has 3 bars and the settings are in there

EDIT: H0b0!!!

Just wanted to add that there's currently a bug that will prevent you from remote detonating a detonator by pressing 1 a second time.  Will only work with the "use item" R key.

#153 Pikkow

Pikkow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted February 28 2013 - 02:11 PM

Been playing alot of scout lately.  Seems like harass with ToW from a distance is best option, even with flak you'll lose toe to toe.  Have found some success with teamwork.  Being followed by a sharpshooter or reaver.  Blitz an enemy blind them with your mech  ,side step, shift s, flight moving backwards maintaining gas with fuel ability.  ToW's and Flak's to the head with your ranged pinging away.. causes sweet confusion.

#154 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted March 03 2013 - 04:49 PM

Okies, I'm back and so is my nice broadband, I'll update the thread a bit later today :)
Posted Image

#155 Circon_Flex

Circon_Flex

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted March 04 2013 - 09:59 AM

Don´t know if it is mentioned here somewhere, but you can shoot the detonator flying at you in midair. Since it is pretty slow it is not that hard and can sometimes save your life if you are stuck at a wall or something like that.
Interstingly, if you happen to stand on the missle silo in missle assault or are hovering above it in the path of the missles you will get shot to death :D

#156 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted March 05 2013 - 05:18 PM

Okies, thread updated :)

Thread is also updated with placeholders for the Raider update :D
http://community.pla...ate-patch-notes
http://community.pla...vailable-raider

couple of TODOs:
http://community.pla...140#entry205241
http://community.pla...140#entry219224
Posted Image

#157 Null_Wing

Null_Wing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • LocationThe Zone, Harmont

Posted April 01 2013 - 11:42 PM

this isn't really a fix for a smoke framerate drop problem, but it should help mitigate the problem
https://community.pl...-smoke-fps-fix/
except change the value for maxparticleresize to 10 and if you're still having problems, maxparticlevertexmemory to 1000 (jintonic said he was having problems being able to see projectiles at 3 and I can see them fine with lower smoke and other particle effects at 10)

Professional Freelance Bum
When The Subject Of Spam Is Broached, Our Sparing Human Intellects Instantly Assume The Most Ingratiating Form Of Anger Imaginable. (and we tend to start our own spam for fun after that)

#158 KOS_Baconman

KOS_Baconman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Locationsaving money..

Posted April 02 2013 - 06:55 AM

GunnRdog, on February 12 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

if you bring up the map, there is a button on the sorta upper left its just above the middle, anyway, the button says waypoint or whatever so click it then click where u want
Posted Image

#159 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted April 14 2013 - 10:39 AM

Here are some tips that I always give players (I love helping newbies or even seniors get better).
  • Don't hover. You make yourself too easy of a target
  • Don't boost everywhere. When you really need to dodge, you won't have anything left.
  • Use your surroundings to your advantage. This is very advantageous to light mechs. if you can dodge around something and use it as cover, you make yourself a harder target.
  • Don't expect to be able to run and gun. This game does take skill to be really good. Learn your weapons well.
  • Be smart. Pay attention to your radar whenever possible. Look for blips. You can use this to make a guess as to where the enemies are. This is very useful when you want to flank.
  • When flanking, don't boost at all. No dodging, boosting, jumping (if it can be avoided). Don't shoot if it can be avoided. You will remain undetected and you will have a surprise advantage.
  • Understand how to use your weapon utility. This is vital and can give you an edge in combat.
  • Items are awesome. I always have a repair tool and detentator equipped.
  • If you need to heal, don't but an idiot. Find cover or having someone assist you with cover. Don't heal in the middle of combat...
  • Occasionally jumping is handy during combat, but don't hover. Like I said, it makes you an easier target.
  • Be mindful of your fuel. This key during combat as you want to manage your fuel. Yes, that includes you scouts as well.
  • Learn how to move. There is a great thread here on the forums about all the different types of movements.
  • Stick together. Lone wolfs die alone.
  • Jumping from very high places is handy for getting the jump on people. I get even seasoned players with this.
  • Every mech has a weakness. If you learn them, this can be used to your advantage.
  • Understand what how your mech handles. Knowing how well it dodges, what kind of moves it can and cannot do is key.

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#160 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted April 18 2013 - 06:31 PM

Thread updated for the Technician patch! Just got a quick round in though but the game crashed XD
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta, Community, Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users