HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Night combat_

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

Poll: Should there be night combat_ (1110 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be night combat_

1. YES AWESOME IDEA (779 votes [76.52%])

Percentage of vote: 76.52%

2. only if its easy to implement (199 votes [19.55%])

Percentage of vote: 19.55%

3. no i like photosynthesis (22 votes [2.16%])

Percentage of vote: 2.16%

4. meh (18 votes [1.77%])

Percentage of vote: 1.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 LTPug

LTPug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted January 01 2013 - 11:14 AM

I think this is a must, with advanced Tech and in the future it would stupid not to put this in. As I believe the Tech would be there for such mission and this would be on of the Popular infilitration Method.

#122 Longbowgun

Longbowgun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted January 06 2013 - 07:39 AM

I play World of Tanks as well... Night and weather are a HUGE thing that are missing from that game.  Night vision options is an awesome idea! I was an AH-64D mechanic in the Army for 10 years (We owned the night! The thermal cameras are almost undefeatable.) If the night time option was thermal based - I would imagine it would be harder to implement in game - the muzzle flash would create a "bloom" effect.  Bullet traces would hang in the air longer, impact points would create hot spots and mechs on fire would completely washout anyone standing behind them (I think this would add a completely new and awesome dimension to game play!)
Perhaps also a "radar" view for fighting in fog and/or rain. Fog and rain eat thermal for lunch (this real world experience talking!)  This view wont give you "3D" view but can laid over your normal vision for an extended "outline" view.
If your video card plays Hawken you can DONATE TO SCIENCE!

Caution: This program will push your whole system to the absolute limit!  (prime95 got nuthin on this fuzzy bunny!)
Check my Donor Rank http://fah-web.stanf...um=0&group_id=0

#123 tamazomby

tamazomby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 14 2013 - 08:21 AM

I missed this topic but night maps would be neat.  Maybe have some super tall stadium lights to illuminate the playing field would be cool.
Posted Image

#124 Maikeru

Maikeru

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted January 18 2013 - 11:20 AM

I'd like to see mechs with strobe lights that show the immediate area around them, and a thermal camera for the sharpshooter class. That would be epic to see mechs and burning fires in thermal vision.

#125 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted January 22 2013 - 12:48 PM

Without on-offable shoulder-head-or-chest--lamps I'd vote nopers dot com to this initiative. IR vision all time could cause more than one headache to many pilots, IMHO -myself included..

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#126 Kheldras

Kheldras

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 01:41 AM

Great Idea... also add the secondary Item: "Lights".. helps with targetting, makes you more visible for others.

#127 Gree

Gree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted January 23 2013 - 10:52 AM

Weather and different time of day need to be added.
Imagine playing Bazaar in a sandstorm or playing Origin in a heavy storm...Beside that night combat would be even more tense,since everything is destroyed, there would be few lights.

I think it would be nice if the pic of the match's place that you see when you are getting into it informs you if it's day or night and the weather(sandstorm, rain,storm or even radiotive wave)

#128 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted January 24 2013 - 06:05 AM

View PostKheldras, on January 23 2013 - 01:41 AM, said:

Great Idea... also add the secondary Item: "Lights".. helps with targetting, makes you more visible for others.

In 2011, I suggested including several light points and/or iluminated faces/shapes/pieces on the mechas in order to help with targetting in any future and potential dark scenario according to our discussion in here. That would definitely be a good addition, indeed. ;)

(If you want me to search for that thread then I'll do it.. Just arrived home so I'm not in the proper mood to do that at this moment, I'm afraid.. ) :)

Also certain scripted areas and/or geometry of the map dynamically changing their lighting values might also be an interesting approach in order to add extra atmosphere effects and value to the game. Just an idea though.. ;)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#129 Sadukar

Sadukar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted January 27 2013 - 08:21 PM

also fog might be cool, with some reduced radar, close quarters hell
If you do not see this signature don't worry it is not really invisible, its infiltrating, look closely and you might see some distorsion,

#130 Gree

Gree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted January 29 2013 - 09:25 AM

View PostSadukar, on January 27 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

also fog might be cool, with some reduced radar, close quarters hell
Playing prosk in a fog:

-phew! I almost got killed there, better repair around that corner. Better check my radar first...
-Ok, the area seems to be clear! Now I'll just stay here for rep...

BOOM

#131 Pirits

Pirits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • LocationMobile, Alabama (USA)

Posted February 03 2013 - 12:09 PM

I noticed someone saying a heavy storm on Origin, with the amount of industrial work done on the planet that may be an acid rain storm...
"What am I doing on top of this Sentium owned spire at a place we call Origin_ Hard-core parkour_ NO, I'm being a derpy chimera. OH! I can see my house from here."
​On a separate note - "Cover me, I'm commentating."
Spoiler

#132 Luaq

Luaq

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted February 17 2013 - 06:54 PM

Night combat, heavy rain combat, where it effects your electronics and you see the dripping water on your "windshield" and when you dash you have that "mid air water" that couldn't follow the mech'S fast movements, sandstorms.

Include more elements that are dangerous to stand near but you might want to take the risk for some reason like sticky mud, melting lava, crumbling rocks, fast current water pushes you mech sideways/backwards but can manage to pass it. This would aid the bigger mech to wait on a bridge and nuke the "fast mechs" that want to intrude a base.
Don't forget to check your oil, believe me you don't want your launcher to jam !!

#133 SilentJacket

SilentJacket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationInstallation 00b

Posted February 17 2013 - 07:03 PM

Full blown rain effects would kill a low end GPU, as awesome as that would be :(

Posted Image

#134 Xuande

Xuande

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationShai Hulud

Posted February 22 2013 - 01:11 PM

Seeing as this game has very few maps and playing them over and over can get dull pretty fast, finding new ways to spice them up is a fantastic idea. I'd love to play maps in a "night mode."
Ol' Betsy || CR-T Recruit   Jethro || Raider
Jim Bob || Beserker    Big Bertha || Brawler
Bubba || Bruiser            Billy-Bob || Technician
Bobby-Joe || Reaper
My name is pronounced (Shuahn-duuh) not (Juan-dee).

#135 z121231211

z121231211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted February 22 2013 - 01:19 PM

I'm all for it. It might make the maps feel more varied when the time of day is randomized.
Desert Fox

#136 Mackindale

Mackindale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted February 25 2013 - 06:30 PM

Include the moon, so we can see. I don't want total darkness, but I think it'd be cool fighting at night, just an an enviromental thing.

#137 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted March 01 2013 - 07:42 PM

View PostThe_Silencer, on January 22 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

Without on-offable shoulder-head-or-chest--lamps I'd vote nopers dot com to this initiative. IR vision all time could cause more than one headache to many pilots, IMHO -myself included..

Assault mecha have flood lights...
a "Toggle Flood Light" command would allow for players to hide more effectively and when one aspect of a battlefield changes, the tactics get a whole lot more complex.
"... And I gazed once more unto the looking glass, but with a clear and unclouded will..."

#138 necroq

necroq

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Locationhere

Posted March 01 2013 - 09:42 PM

i miss snow prosk... come back darling!

Posted Image

#139 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 15 2013 - 07:38 AM

View Postnecroq, on March 01 2013 - 09:42 PM, said:

i miss snow prosk... come back darling!

Do we have to wait for 1 entire year until we can play on the Good Ol' Frosty Prosky_!

Please, slightly adapt it to your non seasonal modern days and include it into the map rotation a.s.a.p! :D

Posted Image

#140 MasterFALE

MasterFALE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted March 17 2013 - 10:51 AM

Night fights with OLD SCHOOL Infrared. IR Scopes only pick up light in the IR range, IR lamps only produce light in the IR range. Give us both and let us switch both on and off.

IR Scope on, lets you see what's illuminated by IR lamps. But, you don't have to turn on YOUR IR lamp. You can sneak around waiting for others to flip it on.

Or, you can be more pro-active...
Posted ImageReaper(25), Scout(15), Infiltrator(6), Technician(11), Bruiser(25), CRT(15), SharpShooter(12), Rocketeer(18), Grenadier(12), Brawler(6)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users