HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Sharpshooter Slug Rifle nerf.

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#21 Sicarius_X

Sicarius_X

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationI am normally at computer desk. Or university

Posted November 21 2012 - 12:20 AM

I feel it is more fair now, my friend actually likes it, he can be more useful against more people quicker. He helps more in team fights, and gets to waste less damage (overkill due to damage of before). Gun is fine, adapt and progress.

#22 dustyjerk

dustyjerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 12:36 AM

"Sharpshooter" doesn't say "stand still and shoot"!

I really loved the idea of a fast, mobile sniping-class. Now as a sharpshooter, you're forced to be a player-controlled turret...

Edited by dustyjerk, November 21 2012 - 12:36 AM.

Posted Image

Intel Core i7 2600K Noctua NH-C14 ASUS Geforce GTX 670 DirectCU II 4x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX 1600 CL8

#23 Dystar

Dystar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 12:40 AM

View PostRotaken, on November 20 2012 - 10:09 PM, said:

View PostShatzi, on November 20 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

The nerf broke this Mech I am not gona play this beta anymore,

You are one of the reasons why gaming communities suck. Favorite mech nerfed so going to qq the whole game_ Not OP enough in close range_ It's a fucken SHARPSHOOTER, a SNIPER, to be precise. Whats wrong with snipers filling out their roles aka sniping.

Correct, its a SHARPSHOOTER, a SNIPER, however its one who now CANNOT ACCURATELY AIM AT LONG DISTANCES. Dont believe me_ Get one, find a blank wall to shoot at, back up a bit and zoom in and start shooting. Notice the nice big spread pattern_ The Sharpshooter is now a Sniper with poor breath control and using a BB gun.

#24 Turic

Turic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationRussia - Ukrane, Voronezh - Donetzk

Posted November 21 2012 - 01:06 AM

lol. SS - is support class, you must take damage to other mech and finish weak enemies. this is the way to be good in team play. in dm ss in useless, better select other class, or use turretsbetter dodging. please, stop complaining)
http://hawken.ru/ - Русский сайт об игре [RUssian site]
http://vk.com/hawken - сообщество вКонтакте [VKcom]

#25 Dreizehn

Dreizehn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted November 21 2012 - 02:02 AM

What is this, Sharpshooters complaining that they can't outduel a mid ranged mech at mid ranged_

Please guys. Honestly.

I might as well complain about how that Sharpshooter was pegging me at long range and how my Vulcan or Flak cannon couldn't hit him.

#26 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationColumbia Internet

Posted November 21 2012 - 02:02 AM

View PostGreenEyedMonster, on November 20 2012 - 06:09 PM, said:

I played a lot of sharpshooter in CB1+2. Let me say, I never felt like the slug was OP. You had to aim really well, ESPECIALLY in close range to do well with it. I never felt that it was too strong. I didn't like Sharp Shooter that much because it felt difficult to win in close range. So i don't really see why people are like "LOLOLOL SHARPSHOOTER FACE ROLL MECH" because it did not feel like it was a face roll by any means. If anything Berserkers with the old Point-D Vulcan... now that was OP. You couldnt do anything.

Who actually thought the Sharpshooter was OP before_ it certainly didnt feel like it. EVERYONE was rolling zerkers with point-d's.

Ah, finally someone with some common sense.
Refreshing after half the Alpha fase twits with the superiority complexes had to come in here and show off their e-peens.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. -George Orwell's Animal Farm
BEGIN Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK
GCS d_ s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+++ L++++ E--- W+(++) N++ o+++ K+++ w--- !O M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y(++) PGP+++ t* 5(-) X R- tv- b- DI-- D- G++ e++ h* r% y_
END Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK

#27 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 02:07 AM

View Postdustyjerk, on November 21 2012 - 12:36 AM, said:

"Sharpshooter" doesn't say "stand still and shoot"!

I really loved the idea of a fast, mobile sniping-class. Now as a sharpshooter, you're forced to be a player-controlled turret...

And if you DO play like that, guess what _ KICKED FOR INACTIVITY !
Talk about ruining this class.

View PostDystar, on November 21 2012 - 12:40 AM, said:

Correct, its a SHARPSHOOTER, a SNIPER, however its one who now CANNOT ACCURATELY AIM AT LONG DISTANCES. Dont believe me_ Get one, find a blank wall to shoot at, back up a bit and zoom in and start shooting. Notice the nice big spread pattern_ The Sharpshooter is now a Sniper with poor breath control and using a BB gun.

Try doing it with the Sabot, even with the long reload time it's the same story.
It's become about as accurate as the submachinegun at that range...
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. -George Orwell's Animal Farm
GCS d_ s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+++ L++++ E--- W+(++) N++ o+++ K+++ w--- !O M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y(++) PGP+++ t* 5(-) X R- tv- b- DI-- D- G++ e++ h* r% y_

#28 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 02:09 AM

View PostDreizehn, on November 21 2012 - 02:02 AM, said:

What is this, Sharpshooters complaining that they can't outduel a mid ranged mech at mid ranged_

Please guys. Honestly.

I might as well complain about how that Sharpshooter was pegging me at long range and how my Vulcan or Flak cannon couldn't hit him.

Except a Beserker could still take out a Sharpshooter halfway across a map with the Vulcan, and from the looks of it, THEY STILL CAN.

#29 Rotaken

Rotaken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationMilk cartoon

Posted November 21 2012 - 02:31 AM

Well like usually everybody was just complaining about dmg and not pointing out that SS had horrible accuracy. Thanks, now I understand why ppl are complaining and think it's justified.

View PostDread_Lord_Pitr, on November 21 2012 - 02:09 AM, said:

Except a Beserker could still take out a Sharpshooter halfway across a map with the Vulcan, and from the looks of it, THEY STILL CAN.

I don't think anyone with berserker has vulcan yet (could be wrong thou) and the vulcan has been nerfed a lot. I was able to take out b/c class (forgot the name) with lvl 5 berseker at close range several times where before it was only possible to take 'em out with other vulcan.
I think it was in that match or the next one where there were some discussion how it was too OP before and slightly UP now.

#30 Etan

Etan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationMInnesota

Posted November 21 2012 - 02:33 AM

Changes to the slug are fine now the sabot on the other hand i dont know why they nerfed that damage and how its not a hitscan anymore is weird to me. However SS is very good in team games they put out lite dmg fast so others go in for kills. The only thing really hard on them now is chasing for the kill because it does not work whatsoever.
Posted Image

#31 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 02:38 AM

View PostRotaken, on November 21 2012 - 02:31 AM, said:

Well like usually everybody was just complaining about dmg and not pointing out that SS had horrible accuracy. Thanks, now I understand why ppl are complaining and think it's justified.

I don't think anyone with berserker has vulcan yet (could be wrong thou) and the vulcan has been nerfed a lot.

Just played a match, you are correct, it was a Bruiser, not a Berserker, my bad.
Range was the same though.
And if the Vulcan got nerfed, i didn't notice it, still seems insane at times.
Although at least with the Bruisers i can get away from them.

#32 Etan

Etan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationMInnesota

Posted November 21 2012 - 02:40 AM

View PostDread_Lord_Pitr, on November 21 2012 - 02:38 AM, said:

View PostRotaken, on November 21 2012 - 02:31 AM, said:

I don't think anyone with berserker has vulcan yet (could be wrong thou) and the vulcan has been nerfed a lot.

Just played a match, you are correct, it was a Bruiser, not a Berserker, my bad.
Range was the same though.
And if the Vulcan got nerfed, i didn't notice it, still seems insane at times.
Although at least with the Bruisers i can get away from them.

Vulcan is worse the SMC dps wise anyways. It overheats really fast. For a bruiser to use it right they have to get hits with hellfire before hand or they will lose the 1v1 everytime. Which can be done much better with the sub anyways xD

Edited by Etan, November 21 2012 - 02:41 AM.

Posted Image

#33 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 21 2012 - 02:55 AM

At best the sharpshooter needed a 10 point damage nerf on the Sabot
Instead it got what, like a 20 point one_ And another 15-20 on the Slug_
That, combined with the unnecessary B and C class mobility nerf makes the SS a bit of a joke
I only really notice when there's 2 of them
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#34 Etan

Etan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationMInnesota

Posted November 21 2012 - 02:57 AM

Sabot definatly needs to be buffed to make the class able to atleast solo people long range cause at the moment even if they are low your burst isnt enough usually. I like the way its more focused on surpression fire but a mans gotta be able to get some kills every once in a while.
Posted Image

#35 Sparkard

Sparkard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 03:07 AM

@Beemann:
Even if you'll buff them for 100 dmg more it won't help SS much atm.

#36 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 21 2012 - 03:14 AM

View PostSparkard, on November 21 2012 - 03:07 AM, said:

@Beemann:
Even if you'll buff them for 100 dmg more it won't help SS much atm.
Well obviously all the spammy fuzzy bunny needs to get fixed up, but honestly they were in a pretty good place in previous tests
And I really do feel that the mobility change was unnecessary (IE slowing down B's and C's) and I say that as someone who played a lot of Infiltrator in CB2
They had a good position as long range harassment and as a spotter+finisher, and they weren't pushovers when you went into CQC, however managing distance and timing for the Sabot shot meant you'd still destroy them
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#37 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted November 21 2012 - 03:23 AM

As someone who was in A2 and has been rolling with a SS as one of the preferred mechs, I have to agree with the OP, it does feel that it's been nerfed and unbalanced.

I know this is beta and things are still in a state of flux, especially as the balance is still being adjusted, but still, this is not a step in the right direction for the mech.  If another mech was to jump into CQC with me, I would at least have a chance to fight them off, especially if it was a light (the speed advantage they have makes it harder to run away while piloting a B or C), but now it's all but toast.

The SS always struck me as a medium to long range support mech with enough armour and firepower to survive (or win) the occasional CQ scrape.  A smaller, lightly armoured but quick moving mech that had the same weapon loadout (which I still would love to pilot), that would be a "dedicated" sniper, unlike the impression I get from some of the posters in this thread that this is a role they believe the SS should be forced into.

CBT1/2 had it doing more damage, but that ability to hand out said damage was balanced out by the overall lower DPS and greater reload time and heat buildup.  This current setup is no where near as fun to roll with as the previous one.  If I wanted something that fired quicker, I would be rolling with Fred and an AR.

Please put it back to where it was.

Edited by bacon_avenger, November 21 2012 - 03:25 AM.

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#38 Turic

Turic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationRussia - Ukrane, Voronezh - Donetzk

Posted November 21 2012 - 03:29 AM

heh. ss is useless at close-ranged maps, such alley, but when map changed to sahara, a get my typical 12-1 instead of 4-8. i think, its great, this class now is for skilled players. and dont forget, that weapons of class have own levels. check it out at garage, where you can find "level1 -20 spread". maybe, need to add a bit more power to ss, but not so many, like at beta2.
http://hawken.ru/ - Русский сайт об игре [RUssian site]
http://vk.com/hawken - сообщество вКонтакте [VKcom]

#39 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 21 2012 - 03:30 AM

@Bacon_Avenger
IIRC it did about the same damage in CB1/2, it's just that the TOW and GL got nerfed (but the fire rate ratio is like... 5:3 for GL vs Sabot, and the damage difference was about 10, now I think the GL might actually do more damage in addition to having more utility and actually having splash damage)
Also I find Medium-kinda close range to be the best range for dealing with CB1/2 Sharpshooters on an Infiltrator. Close enough that your dodges matter, far enough that they can't ram and fire

Edited by Beemann, November 21 2012 - 03:31 AM.

Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#40 Sparkard

Sparkard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 03:31 AM

@Beemann:
Yeah, i mean, i still feel SS burst, now i often see ppl running away from me on like 10 health but it's to be tweaked with optimisations.
The problem is now you can't shoot when scoped out.
Ppl are confused because before you could shoot when scoped out and slower slug fire rate was in good synergy with less cd on dash and ss mobility. Now the have to use CoD like tactic of quick-zooming, "half-scoping" etc.
Now they think it's dmg nerf just because with all that new sounds (that are awesome btw) that were supposed to also give you better when you hit but can be more confusing and they don't know they didn't hit at all.
Other mech are very different now and map were also reworked which and that can especially be confusing for ss users.

I'm still not sure if it's exactly bad how it is now, but the fact stays that it was already kinda well balanced class so why change it so much.
My concern is that even siege maps aren't good for long-range sniper-campers and so it'll get us even closer to CoD with no acc lose when scoped instantly. (Although i'd hate if they'd also nerfed zoomed in acc, but they didn't. [Dystar wrote:] "Notice the nice big spread pattern_" - Nope ).
It's especially hard for me now, as i'm playing on the laptop for the time being i liked that SS play style was easy on my laptop, i think i don't need to say why it was less cpu/gpu wearing compared to for e.g. CQC mechs. But now if i want to at least scare enemy at mid-range (drop their health a little so they wont think "lol, what is this guy doing_ Put a brick on fire button and went afk_" i have to shoot my slug/SA non-stop, when moving, insta-zooming in and out for sabot.

But i still have to try to adapt, other players too, then i think we can judge.

Edit://
Also keep in mind that earlier sabot was also very inaccurate at closer range, but you just didn't have to instascope mid-to-midlong range.
Edit2://
Tbh i like camp sniping and assisting my team from afar, so if i'll be able to do that even at a cost of not getting any EU for my team at all (and making them lose that way, before that nerf i was first when it comes to EU contributed 90% of the time, if it's not possible to help my team with SS now then fuzzy bunny (fuzzy bunny intended) them, i want to at least have fun myself with that mech, and there are other mech i kinda like playing too anyway).
Another thing is that now slug have the same huge FAKE recoil as sabot, which makes it even worse (also for my laptop, and new worse fps) with it's bigger fire rate, was it like that before_

Edited by Sparkard, November 21 2012 - 03:40 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users