HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Sharpshooter Slug Rifle nerf.

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#61 PiVoR

PiVoR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted November 21 2012 - 02:45 PM

View PostTerranCmdr, on November 21 2012 - 09:19 AM, said:

^Pretty much my experience.  Hawkins is useless, Sabot needs you to stand still to hit anything.  The thing that kills me is that my tactic of dodging out of cover and firing a quick scoped shot no longer works, as you need to be completely stationary to hit anything smaller than a building.

Did I mention that the SS heats up way quicker now as well_

Agree with all, SS is defensles in CQB now, and it will overheat like 3 times before it can take down any C mech. Like for a sniper its heavly inaccurate even in long ranges, my shots sometimes misses even if i shot at non moving target - lol..
Nerf stick hit SS just too hard.

#62 Talesin

Talesin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted November 21 2012 - 03:35 PM

View PostZer0Aim, on November 21 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

i think to nerf ss was necessary but they nerfed it a bit too hard.
i dont want prenerf ss again (for real it was a bit op no disscussion) but in his current state he doesnt fit any roll on the battlefield.
a new sharpshooter combined out of the old and new one could make a really fun and balanced class in my opinion.

Respectfully_ No, there's plenty of room for discussion. I still believe it's a question of new players not knowing how to deal with a sharpshooter properly, rather than the SS being OP. Most Alpha players already have the knack for dodging and staying in cover, due to having played for significantly longer. Through most of Beta, I scored TONS of kills against fuzzy bunnies who just ran flat-out at me across open ground, firing all their weapons and *****ing when they were taken down. Running in a straight line. No cover. With CQC weapons blazing, against mid-long range specialized armaments.

The few times I was taken out was when an Assault or Infiltrator was actually INTELLIGENT and used the terrain to get close, only taking one or two minor hits, and absolutely ANNIHILATED me once they were actually in my face.
Likewise, running as an Infiltrator, SSs were my favorite target. Easy to spot nubs skylining themselves on rooftops like good snipers NEVER DO, and circle around to get in close and blow them to hell before they had any idea what was going on. Then again, it's not the kind of mindless run-and-gun CoD-kiddie nonsense that makes up a large segment of the FPS playerbase nowadays. Actually requires a little tactical thinking, instead of W+M1+M2.

This nerf was definitely not needed. It was only to compensate for inexperienced players complaining that the game wasn't tailored to THEIR play-style, instead of learning how to play the game properly.
That and probably to try to get people to finally use the SA Hawkins out of desperation, after the Slug was loaded with fuzzy bunny-gas instead of bullets, and the Sabot scope got hit by a few rocks.

(Edit: Wow, seriously_ The four-letter word for 'passing wind' is part of the swear filter_ REALLY_)

Edited by Talesin, November 21 2012 - 03:40 PM.

Win7-64, Core i7 920@2.67GHz, 48GB RAM, Radeon HD6870, 6004x1080 @ Ultra
Devs, PLEASE ensure proper Eyefinity support!

#63 OverWolf

OverWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationMy mech, kicking back with fine wine.

Posted November 21 2012 - 05:32 PM

Devs're making some changes relevant to this: http://community.pla...e-changes-1121/

Edited by OverWolf, November 21 2012 - 05:32 PM.

Posted Image
This is the Prelude to a New Revolution
Main Mech: Brawler; Secondary Mech: SharpShooter

#64 Talesin

Talesin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 05:45 PM

Increased the unscoped accuracy on the Sabot_ There are people who use it unscoped, outside of 'broad side of a barn' ranges as a last-ditch_ That's called DOING IT WRONG, FUZZY BUNNY. And decreased the zoom range_
Likewise, a reduction in Slug fire rate and minor increase in damage isn't exactly going to get it back to where it needs to be. Whoever the Dev is pushing to get the SA Hawkins back to being viable by making the Slug worthless, please cut it the **** out already! Make the Hawkins better if you want people to use it, don't just make the actual decent secondary worse.

Already was enough of a pain to get a single B-class kill as a SS in sustained combat without overheating during B1 regardless of range at start, and with a lot of the health adjusted upward, AND the damage dropped in the ****ter, you aren't fooling anyone.

#65 Bratt01

Bratt01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 05:50 PM

There is so much more fun in any FPS type game , when you get to take out another player using an inferior weapon / inferior equipment.
Running around with some uber gun owning everybody must be soooo boring. It's like playing the original Doom on god mode.

Im sure everybody has seen this many times. Some Level 50 dude on the leaderboard on 23-1. In comes a Level 6 player on 3-26, and kills the level 50 dude 3 times in a row. The level 6 dude gets called a cheat, and subsequently gets kicked from the match.

Everybody loves a good contest, but saying that your stock-standard-un-upgraded-vanilla-mech, which used to own an uber-upgraded-chocolate-sunday-with-sprinkles-mech, can no longer do it. And for that I am rage quitting and will find some other game to exploit__
Cmon dude, stop whinging and learn how to use strategy and wit to kill your opponents, instead of an OP vanilla mech.

#66 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 21 2012 - 06:05 PM

View PostBratt01, on November 21 2012 - 05:50 PM, said:

Stuff
SS wasn't OP, and it's a joke to fight against them now
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#67 Tibster

Tibster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 07:21 PM

SS is much harder to play now compared to earlier. Ive played SS and only SS since alpha. Its much harder to hit a target atm, and the dmg is less then before. So imo, the class is less fun to play. Most of the maps aint realy SS friendly either. If u stay put and snipe to long you will be booted cus the game think ur inactive hehe

Sad, as i prefer playing sniper classes, but do not like the SS as it is atm. If SS stay as is atm, ill just move along to another game, no biggy i guess...

Ppl saying SS was OP have no clue imo.

Edited by Tibster, November 21 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#68 Ryujin

Ryujin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 07:42 PM

Imho, I'd be happy if the sabot & slug rifles went back to their stats from CBT2, but lost their hitscan properties.  It's more satisfying and puts more emphasis on player skill when you have to lead a target & anticipate its movements, rather than 'click when target is outlined in red,' to score a hit.

#69 Talesin

Talesin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 07:43 PM

Seriously. Just to give an idea of just how bad it is; just got out of a match in the SS. I got the drop on a SCOUT who was repairing, and though every shot hit, did NOT kill it before I went into overheat and he ran away. SS is a joke indeed at this point, and pretty much useless, especially with the map alterations made to Sahara. SS was fine before.

#70 TerranCmdr

TerranCmdr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted November 21 2012 - 08:07 PM

View PostTalesin, on November 21 2012 - 05:45 PM, said:

Whoever the Dev is pushing to get the SA Hawkins back to being viable by making the Slug worthless, please cut it the **** out already! Make the Hawkins better if you want people to use it, don't just make the actual decent secondary worse.
TBH I feel more comfortable using the slug now, I've always used the SA Hawkins in conjunction with the Sabot to great effect but now the Hawkins feels like a pea-shooter so I use the slug instead.  I'll have to check out how it feels after this patch though.
Awesome Sentium logo in my avatar by erathic

#71 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted November 22 2012 - 01:46 AM

I just finished a round in the SS since the patch today...

I'll have to play with it more now that it does have a different feel, but it's much better than it was.

I still don't agree with the change from CBT2, but it's no where near as bad as it was previously.  Thank you devs for listening to the community.

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#72 PanzerWolf

PanzerWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted November 22 2012 - 01:57 AM

In my opinion, this nerf is way too hard. SS was bit op before, i admit, but now it's totally useless. If it's purpose is to be a real sniper, then it should have weapons that are snipers; extremely powerful, slow and accurate. Now only sniperish weapon is sabot, and it's bit too weak for this. So devs should either make sabot more powerful (double, even triple it's damage) or tweak up slugs and hawkins' accuracy (and hawkins speed). Now it can be outgunned by assault even in the longest ranges in sahara.

#73 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted November 22 2012 - 02:39 AM

View PostPanzerWolf, on November 22 2012 - 01:57 AM, said:

In my opinion, this nerf is way too hard. SS was bit op before, i admit, but now it's totally useless. If it's purpose is to be a real sniper, then it should have weapons that are snipers; extremely powerful, slow and accurate. Now only sniperish weapon is sabot, and it's bit too weak for this. So devs should either make sabot more powerful (double, even triple it's damage) or tweak up slugs and hawkins' accuracy (and hawkins speed). Now it can be outgunned by assault even in the longest ranges in sahara.
Or implement a 'real' sniper mech.  Light mech, light armour and quick moving.1

Think about it.  It anyone has known or looked at a military sniper, most, if not all, are very lightly equipped and armored.  Get in, take the shot (or two), then move to another location.  The SS is just too big an slow to be a 'pure' sniper.

1- Looks at the devs. :)

Edited by bacon_avenger, November 22 2012 - 02:40 AM.

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#74 GrayTech

GrayTech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 02:49 AM

These things tend to overcorrect, maybe they will swing it back the other way a bit.

I agree the difference is profound. I didn't notice an overwhelming number of sharpshooters before so
perhaps it was a "big secret" OP class_  Regardless, the weapons don't pack much punch now which makes
any playstyle less effective (to me).

Is the mech designed to wait until a target is under half health and then finish them off from long range_
I can't see anyone else standing there motionless for the four or five shots it will take to eliminate them.

I had fun with the sharpshooter and am willing to try and "play it properly", what are your thoughts_
What's it going to be_ 1 or 0 - Your call...

#75 Cyberpunk

Cyberpunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationLas vegas,NV

Posted November 22 2012 - 03:38 AM

Ya i also noticed this,they nerfed it way to much
GAMING RIG SPECS:
Intel Core i5-760 2.8Ghz quad core
Patriot i5 Viper II 1600Mhz 8GB
EVGA P55 mobo
ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti
1TB HARD-DRIVE
windows 7 64BIT

#76 Vitinary

Vitinary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 05:26 AM

View Postbacon_avenger, on November 22 2012 - 02:39 AM, said:

Or implement a 'real' sniper mech.  Light mech, light armour and quick moving.1

1- Looks at the devs. :)
*cough*

Edited by Vitinary, November 22 2012 - 05:27 AM.

#77 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 10:58 PM

View PostGrayTech, on November 22 2012 - 02:49 AM, said:

These things tend to overcorrect, maybe they will swing it back the other way a bit.

I agree the difference is profound. I didn't notice an overwhelming number of sharpshooters before so
perhaps it was a "big secret" OP class_  Regardless, the weapons don't pack much punch now which makes
any playstyle less effective (to me).

Is the mech designed to wait until a target is under half health and then finish them off from long range_
I can't see anyone else standing there motionless for the four or five shots it will take to eliminate them.

I had fun with the sharpshooter and am willing to try and "play it properly", what are your thoughts_

It never was an OP class through any CBE.  Perhaps slightly in alpha, but they corrected for it.  CBE1 and 2, the SS was a good class for good players, but that's just it, you had to be good to do good with it.  It didn't leave much, if any, room for error.

People complained about the few good players with it (and yes, they were few, I would commonly be the only SS in an entire match, and when there were others, they couldn't even hold a positive kd), so they nerfed it.

Oh well :(

I'll have to hop in tomorrow to see how the update feels

#78 The_Eldritch_Abomination

The_Eldritch_Abomination

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDATA REDACTED

Posted November 22 2012 - 11:22 PM

View PostRotaken, on November 20 2012 - 10:09 PM, said:

View PostShatzi, on November 20 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

The nerf broke this Mech I am not gona play this beta anymore,

You are one of the reasons why gaming communities suck. Favorite mech nerfed so going to qq the whole game_ Not OP enough in close range_ It's a fucken SHARPSHOOTER, a SNIPER, to be precise. Whats wrong with snipers filling out their roles aka sniping.
That is SO true. Before the nerf, the game reminded me of Blacklight: Retribution, with random players trying to use the Bolt-Action rifle, a SNIPER weapon, at close range. Its a bloody mess.
< TEXT-FIELD >

#79 SavantDouchebag

SavantDouchebag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted November 23 2012 - 01:37 AM

the CB3 SS isn't nerfed that bad IMO. they just changed the balance of power in R/L hands and forcing you to quickscope more often than it used to be, resulting a different playstyle.

I used to play 100% SS in CB2. Tried it once in CB3, Took a Fuzzy Bunny to my knee, and now transferred to the Scouts Division. Yes this update has forced a large number of SS to retire including me.

But does it really makes people stop using it_ Honestly as a scout they ARE my everyday staples. But I've seen at least 2 SS that played so damn good and keeps me in check, if not overpowering me.

In the end, Snipers will always be fewer than Regular infantries. perhaps this class is that 'love it or hate it' class that requires a tough learning curve to play. Try fighting a camaraderie of Snipers. They WILL pin you down in one firing sequence. And that sucks.

Edited by SavantDouchebag, November 23 2012 - 01:39 AM.

#80 Dark_Horse

Dark_Horse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted November 23 2012 - 02:00 AM

Just came back from playing a few rounds with the new SS. Not fun.

Here are some of the biggest issues I noticed:

1) When going up against a Class C mech (especially a repairing one), you cannot kill them before overheating, even with damage buffs and heatsinks. I was very surprised when I came across a healing Rocketeer (I think), aimed straight at him from just a few meters away, right above his head (he didn't see me, I guess), and just unloaded on him. To my dismay, he straight-up took the hits, finished repairing, and boosted away while I was stuck with overheated weapons.

2) SS has become an assist machine. I've played this game since alpha, SS every time, so I guess you can trust me when I say SS used to be able to kill mechs. Unless you're a totally incompetent pilot, it's very, very easy to escape an SS (there's a lot of cover on every single map). All I'm good for is assists or picking off stragglers now, because I cannot pursue a mech with my SS. Not only is that not how you're supposed to play the class (you have long-ranged weapons for a reason), I'm too slow to catch up anyway. What would happen during my matches is, I'd find a good place to set up, find an enemy, pop a few good shots into him, and curse while he just zipped around a corner, probably to repair. The times I tried to follow, I got completely destroyed by either him (because he's in a much more manueverable mech with close-range guns) or his teammates, who saw me immediately after I jumped down from my ideal sniper spot.

3) Accuracy nerfs + super-fast class A mechs = no fun for snipers. Playing against any class A mech is pretty much the equivalent of the infamous "dolphin dive" issues in Battlefield 2. No go ahead, try to snipe the mech who can just bounce around the map at will. Just try to use your medium-to-long-range guns effectively while an infiltrator dodges every single shot with ease. It's frustrating.

Now I know that because this is a class-based game, not every class is ideally suited to fight every other class in every situation. That's impossible, obviously: sometimes, you're going to have a disadvantage. But, if you play your class right and fulfill your role, even if you get beat this time, over time you'll be at the top of your team and your team will win.

So my question is this: now that SS is nerfed...what exactly is my role_ What am I supposed to be doing, exactly_ Sitting back, trying in vain to get my inaccurate, barely-zoomed slow weapons to pick off an unaware class B mech at quarter health_ Beacuse golly, SS is ideal for that!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users