Photo

New C class mech - Inhibitor (ranged heavy mech)

- - - - - Ranged Heavy Sniper

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Okay, so at the moment we have two long ranged mechs, the Reaper and the Sharpshooter. Respectively, the Reaper is an A class mech and the Sharpshooter is a B class mech. I thought of completing the sniper trifecta with a C class mech called the Inhibitor. This mech would have a new sniper weapon as a secondary and three existing weapons as stock, alternate and prestige primaries, along with its own ability.

I think this should be a strictly long range mech, as we have a ranged mech capable of close-mid range combat and a mech capable of mid-long range combat. The Inhibitor would be oriented almost entirely towards long range, with all three primaries being suited for long range, and the secondary being strictly long range.

The new secondary I thought of is called the Gauss Rifle, a sniper rifle that deals more damage then the Sabot Rifle, but has an even slower firing rate. Like the Sabot Rifle, it would have increased damage and accuracy when scoped, but terrible accuracy and decreased damage when not scoped.

The default primary weapon would be the Slug Rifle. As stated, I want this to be a mostly long range mech, so starting out with a long range weapon seems like a good choice.

The alternate primary weapon would be the SA Hawkins. For people that don't want to fight at too long of a range, this weapon would make the mech more suitable for them.

The prestige primary weapon would be the choice of those that always want to fight at long ranges, this weapon being the KE-Sabot.

The special ability is called Marksman Turret. When activated, the Inhibitor transforms into a turret mode familiar with other C class turret modes. While in Marksman Turret, movement speed is decreased, and damage taken from the front is decreased (can't decide how much ATM) and damage taken from the back is increased by 20%, as with all other turret modes. Also, you are locked in zoom mode, therefore increasing accuracy of all weapons.

This ability is best used when trying to fight multiple enemies at long range, given the damage reduction from the front and improved accuracy. The ability would also make the Inhibitor more vulnerable to stealth attacks from behind, given that it performs poorly at close range and that transforming in and out of turret mode takes some time.

I will leave the cost of the mech, the default items and all stats up to the devs to decide. Regarding the cost though, If this mech does end up being added maybe have the Sharpshooter's cost reduced to 7689 HC and have the Inhibitor cost 12816 HC, or leave the Sharpie and have the Inhibitor cost 7689 HC. I also suck at designing, so I'd leave the design up to them too.

Just keep in mind, these are only early thoughts, I am welcome for feedback and opinions.

EDIT 1: I do not want this to be a G2 mech. I want this to be a completely new mech, not a G2 SS or G2 Reaper, therefore XT weapons are not a choice. On second thought of the SA Hawkins being the alternate primary, I'm thinking of having the Breacher be the alternate primary instead, as it would serve the purpose of the SA Hawkins much better. Also, regarding Marksman Turret's zoom mode, when in turret mode it would have adjustable zoom, with the minimum level being as if you weren't zoomed in and the maximum level being 1.5-2x that of SS/Reaper's zoom. This is not applied when you're zooming in without Marksman Turret active.

EDIT 2: I am bumping this thread again since the game has been relaunched. I'll probably be updating this entire OP at some point, but I thought for now I'd just get it back up there.

Edited by System64, 04 June 2017 - 06:19 AM.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

MajyckToad

MajyckToad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

this is rather nice.

shove this baby into a 1400HP class D thunderously slow super heavy Siege class mech and you got my vote!

there it is Devs! your ticket to the rave for the new mech.

Hire this guy.

BkeETgs.jpg

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

this is rather nice.

shove this baby into a 1400HP class D thunderously slow super heavy Siege class mech and you got my vote!

there it is Devs! your ticket to the rave for the new mech.

Hire this guy.

There is no D-Class type, and I'd rather 700 HP instead of 1400 HP :^)

EDIT: Two years later I realized the sarcasm in this post LMAO

Edited by System64, 04 June 2017 - 06:15 AM.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

Lioot

Lioot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

KE-Sabot as prestige along with your new gauss rifle will give too much damage IMO, even with the long wait time between each shot

-Tj-

-Tj-

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

This mech would have a new sniper weapon as a secondary and three existing weapons as stock, alternate and prestige primaries, along with its own ability.

Neat ideas. Don't like the above bit tho. Every time we put the same weapons on new mechs, there's some kind of balance inconsistency. Give it all new weapons that can be balanced without affecting any other mechs.

Liederkranz

Liederkranz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

I'm thinking that it'd be very easy to defeat. Being a C class it'd have trouble escaping from any A or B class closing in, and being the Inhibitor strictly long range the pilot would need to be VERY aware of surroundings for anyone trying to flank them.

It may be considered a challenge though, the need to be very situational aware.

I throw this on the table, sorry for the slight offtopic: Sharpshooter G2? Double Sabot Rifle XT...? :P

Cybrex: Predators hunt from above.

MessyBopzz: like jesus?

Cybrex: Better than jesus

xaW8OWj.png

HWGNjmo.png  LUAERYM.png  KVKGZ2j.png  nCDGAWz.png  HWGNjmo.png

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Well, I did say that it is weak against attacks from behind, this mech is intended for dedicated snipers who don't like fighting at close range. If an Inhibitor user gets engaged in close quarters, that's just bad luck, as it would be with the SS and Reaper.

And no, I don't want any XT weapons on this.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

I think a C-Class is a better choice for sniper than the other two anyhow, so good call on that.  

Two thoughts:

Have the sniper turret mode give some arrow indicators on the edge of the scope to help locate targets.  Since it's already a slower mech with a slower rate of fire, it's gonna need something to help it locate enemies to make it effective... since it can't expect to be able to run away.

I think it will need a better air mode than normal C-Class - it needs to be able to take higher positions than a C generally does and needs the ability to get down from them without crashing if it's position becomes compromised.

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

americanbrit14

americanbrit14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

if this actually becomes a thing one day, i want the first thing we do is get everyone together, give it to devotion and rei, and bunker seige

Edited by americanbrit14, 20 May 2015 - 07:52 AM.

• LONEDEADWOLF likes this

VfuS0qE.png?1

contracted by 

??

INDUSTRY

AxionOperandi

AxionOperandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Yeah, I like it a lot.

Better air movement is also a good idea (I think).

Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

if this actually becomes a thing one day, i want the first thing we do is get everyone together, give it to devotion and rei, and bunker seige

and Nept.

Don't forget Nept.

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

...and let slip the dogs of war...

Twitter%201.jpg?psid=1Steam%202.jpg?psid=1Tube%203.jpg?psid=1Hawken%204.jpg?psid=1Twitch%205.jpg?psid=1

Spoiler

americanbrit14

americanbrit14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

and Nept.

Don't forget Nept.

How could i forget nept!

VfuS0qE.png?1

contracted by 

??

INDUSTRY

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

I don't think that turret mode should look it at zoom, since, as a dedicated sniper, losing so much of your spatial awareness would be a massive negatie

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

I don't think that turret mode should look it at zoom, since, as a dedicated sniper, losing so much of your spatial awareness would be a massive negatie

That's why I suggested that there be enemy direction indicator arrows at the edges of the scope when zoomed.

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Well, maybe Marksman Turret can have its own unique type of zoom, that has adjustable magnification instead of a fixed magnification. This zoom would only apply to the ability, instead of replacing the current zoom completely. Maybe when in turret mode, the minimum zoom would be at the same magnification as if you weren't actually zoomed in, and have the maximum magnification greater than that of the Reaper/SS.

Oh, and instead of having the SA Hawkins as the alternate weapon, how about the Breacher? If you ever were to be caught in close quarters, the breacher would give you a better damage output in those situations. It still has ranged capabilities, since charging it up makes it much more accurate.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Oh, and instead of having the SA Hawkins as the alternate weapon, how about the Breacher? If you ever were to be caught in close quarters, the breacher would give you a better damage output in those situations. It still has ranged capabilities, since charging it up makes it much more accurate.

The Breacher isn't a sniping weapon by any means.

The accuracy may be good, but the damage fall-off is stupid for anything past mid-range - especially compared to other actual sniping weapons.

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

When shots are charged, there is no damage falloff. Damage falloff is only present in uncharged (flak) shots. A charged Breacher shot deals 100 damage, and can also pierce objects and mechs.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

A charged Breacher shot deals a minimum of 35 damage to a mech, be it due to either range or pierced targets.

(not counting damage reductions like Deflectors or Turret Mode)

It does have damage fall-off, and maintains most of the damage untill the medium range, at which it begins to fall off hard.

I've written the biggest Predator guide availible.

I think it's safe to say I know my stuff on it.

Even so, not everything has been covered in the guide.

I still update it from time to time.

• Miscellaneous likes this

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts
There's damage falloff on the Breacher, and I think you lose a bit of damage when you pierce too. But there's definitely damage falloff.

And by your logic, Slug Rifle should have damage falloff because it's uncharged but methinks there is none.

Edited by Silverfire, 21 May 2015 - 04:24 AM.

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

@Meraple: Well, from personal experience test driving predators, charged shots seemed to maintain quite a lot damage at long ranges, but hey, you're the expert here. Maybe I wasn't taking a good look at exactly how much damage it was doing.

Anyway, I did say that the SA Hawkins is for people that don't always want to engage at long ranges, and seeing as you're saying the Breacher is ineffective beyond medium range, it would be even more suited towards those types of people.

If you put together your claims of it being close to mid range and my intentions of the SA Hawkins being intended for medium range, that would make the Breacher more suitable as a close to mid range primary weapon. It would make use of the Inhibitor easier in close/mid ranges when compared to the SA Hawkins.

Edited by System64, 04 June 2017 - 06:14 AM.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Bump

d9133aa6ec.jpg

Hayseed

Hayseed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

i do understand why you would want a sniper for each class of mech, but a decent sniper can dominate a match in a reaper mech, or a Sharpshooter, just imagine if they were capable of getting their hands on a c-class mech that has a turret mode AND MORE DAMAGE?

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

It DOES have weaknesses. For starters... it's a heavy mech - the slowest mech types in the game, so if its caught up in close quarters (or a sneak attack, especially if in turret mode) it won't have a great chance of winning, especially since it sucks at close quarters (even if it had a Breacher or any other close range weapon). Also, maybe to emphasise on this the damage vulnerability from behind (in turret mode) can be increased from 20% to 30 or 40%?

Oh, and if you're complaining about team carriers, they're something you'll just have to deal with forever in this game.

Edited by System64, 25 May 2015 - 03:16 PM.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Being a C class it'd have trouble escaping from any A or B class closing in, and being the Inhibitor strictly long range the pilot would need to be VERY aware of surroundings for anyone trying to flank them.

Also ^this.

Edited by System64, 25 May 2015 - 03:37 PM.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

lol

Edited by System64, 04 June 2017 - 06:13 AM.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

Strydera

Strydera

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Just my thoughts, but I believe that the primary could be a low tier dps, but highly accurate machine gun. With a gun like that, the mech would still be able to suppress and assist the team, and it would not have as high damage output as the slug rifle. With this gun it would be better at assisting teammates and watching over objectives, but it also would not do as critical damage to A class mechs, making it substantially easier to beat in close quarters. Just opinion and I'd love to see this mech be implemented as I am huge fan of the reaper.

jomi2569

jomi2569

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Just my thoughts, but I believe that the primary could be a low tier dps, but highly accurate machine gun. With a gun like that, the mech would still be able to suppress and assist the team, and it would not have as high damage output as the slug rifle. With this gun it would be better at assisting teammates and watching over objectives, but it also would not do as critical damage to A class mechs, making it substantially easier to beat in close quarters. Just opinion and I'd love to see this mech be implemented as I am huge fan of the reaper.

I like the idea of the primary being a low tier dps but highly accurate machine gun. A gun that has lower dps than guns like the AM-SAR, but more accurate would be a perfect gun for a long range support mech.

DeeRax

DeeRax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

I posted this earlier in a thread about an idea for a railgun weapon, so it's a bit off-track... But it's not entirely unrelated to this idea, so, here goes...

"I imagine it'd fit best on C-class sniperish thing. Instead of the original mechanics mentioned, though (They do seem really similar to the Breacher), I imagine something more along the lines of cross between the Sabot and the Heat Cannon:

• Long-range, high-burst, semi-auto low RoF, high heat generation.
  • Regular firing is similar to a powerful sniper rifle, but it can be charged like the HC, which increases damage, range, & heat-gen, and also adds a (smallish) splash damage effect (From the sheer force of impact). I imagine it'd be a projectile weapon, rather than hitscan, but it'd be a really, really fast projectile, that flies completely, unerringly straight.
  • Charge shot can also travel through shields, etc. like the Breacher.
  • Ideally, should be pretty difficult to use at medium-ranges without some skill, and really difficult to use close-range.

Said railgun could either be a primary, or secondary, depending on design. I imagine it'd be best as a primary, with the Breacher and something else (Bolt? Slug? Redundant?) as the unlockable primaries. Secondary should be something really new and cool. I like the idea of the 'magnet gun' mentioned above, give it some indirect close-combat ability, that requires some skill, by reflecting enemy projectiles. Or maybe like a short-range electricity "stun gun" kind of thing (Secondary fire mode?) I dunno, something novel and magnetic/electricty-based, for sure. Just ideas.

As for theoretical mech's ability? I have no idea.... And that's getting beyond the scope of this thread anyways."

Oh... And another catch to above idea would be... NO SCOPE. Only supsawesomewesleysnipes need apply.

Eh? EH? EHHH? :sweat:

Edited by DeeRax, 28 May 2015 - 01:20 PM.

starfox-sig.gifrYFaSGG.gif

2XhpJes.png

"DeeRax's got what you've always wanted."

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Bumped, added update note

d9133aa6ec.jpg

Hecatoncheires

Hecatoncheires

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Imagine if you kept to the whole dual theme and gave it dual charge cannons. One of the only weapons, in my opinion, that would be interesting because of how the heat works. Of course, it would be better if they were dual charge cannon xt's that do less damage apiece and have splash damage akin to the heat cannon.

Edit: As for the ability, what if the ability matched its name, and was a turret mode that applies a slow debuff of ~10% overall speed to all your lasers(?). Since the charge cannon xt's would have splash, it would be pretty darn useful for support. Of course, a slow debuff is actually quite OP, so the turret mode should be stationary, lack defensive benefits, always be scoped in (I like this), but have a fairly quick animation. Also, an alternate primary could be the slug rifle, which would be great for slowing targets before you kill them with the charge cannon.

Sorry, I just realized this became a wholly different mech.

Edited by Hecatoncheires, 04 June 2017 - 11:30 AM.

What the Heca-

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ranged, Heavy, Sniper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users