Photo

Is TPG limiting other NA events, namely WW?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

First of all, TPG HAWKEN NA is at its peak. Daily scrims, awesome matches, improved teams ... If it had enough attention, those matches are better E-Sports content than most of the fuzzy bunny games that people watch worldwide.

Therefore, TPG admins and captains deserve major props.

Back to topic. I do think that other events are not as populated recently because of how active the TPG scene has become. Especially War Wednesdays which used to get over 30 people playing every week. The last time I checked we filled one server and I had to ask my teammates to leave the event cuz we had a scrim.

Tickle said it himself, people are doing TPG related stuff and no longer playing in WW and he's right.

So I think it may be fine if Wednesdays become dedicated for WW because its organizers have done so much for the community, and it's our duty to keep their efforts alive.

It won't hurt TPG players to put their thirst for competitive play behind for one day and enjoy fun and friendly games.

If not, then all games/scrims could be after 10:30 EST, after WW is kinda over.

Post your opinion on the matter!

The PC community is the red headed step child Reloaded never wanted but got saddled with when they married the PC community's mother.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shoutout to mah real Africans out there.

Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

First of all, TPG HAWKEN NA is at its peak. Daily scrims, awesome matches, improved teams ... If it had enough attention, those matches are better E-Sports content than most of the fuzzy bunny games that people watch worldwide.

And your proof is?

CRITICAL ASSIST

United in Diversity, Divided by Zero
v9KKbH9.png
Spoiler

EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

That's silly. I asked about TPG and got told i'd be welcome, as even 1500mmr scrubs were needed.. when i surveyed the scrim make up, there were a plethora of super duper killer players. but no 1500 mmr bracket. , or "friendly" "community" competitions.in fact, TPG seemed not in the least noob-comfy, much less for anyone not 1800mmr or above (that 5% club).

No bitterness here. /s

But I have lost huge amounts of MMR getting banged up in War Wednesdays, gotten rekt with Chardonnay or Sake, and gottten rekt by many awesome players.and had a hoot doing it.War Wednesdays is GuD!!!

TPG needs to revisit their philosophy, or go away, and soon. I have no use for them, and if asked I shall tell noobs what I think of them.  it's their own doing.

Not being mean, it's just fact, ma'am.

YMMV.

:yucky:

Edited by em1o, 10 July 2015 - 08:43 PM.

#:  chown -R us ./base

nRJ1C9n.png

"...oh great Itzamna, you shall know Us by the trail of Dead."

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

That's silly. I asked about TPG and got told i'd be welcome, as even 1500mmr scrubs were needed.. when i surveyed the scrim make up, there were a plethora of super duper killer players. but no 1500 mmr bracket. , or "friendly" "community" competitions.in fact, TPG seemed not in the least noob-comfy, much less for anyone not 1800mmr or above (that 5% club).

No bitterness here. /s

TPG needs to revisit their philosophy, or go away, and soon. I have no use for them, and if asked I shall tell noobs what I think of them.  it's their own doing.

YMMV.

Yeah, great plan: improve our skill range by discouraging lower-level players from participating.  TPG does, in fact, have several lower-mmr teams, including two new entries (Violent Resolution and Trentik Defense Militia) and a possible third.  From what their captains have told me, they've enjoyed the experience.

TPG's not going anywhere.  And IMO, it's your philosophy that needs a revision.

Edited by God-King Nept, 10 July 2015 - 08:58 PM.

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Therefore, TPG admins and captains deserve major props.

Back to topic. I do think that other events are not as populated recently because of how active the TPG scene has become. Especially War Wednesdays which used to get over 30 people playing every week. The last time I checked we filled one server and I had to ask my teammates to leave the event cuz we had a scrim.

Tickle said it himself, people are doing TPG related stuff and no longer playing in WW and he's right.

So I think it may be fine if Wednesdays become dedicated for WW because its organizers have done so much for the community, and it's our duty to keep their efforts alive.

It won't hurt TPG players to put their thirst for competitive play behind for one day and enjoy fun and friendly games.

If not, then all games/scrims could be after 10:30 EST, after WW is kinda over.

Post your opinion on the matter!

Definitely a concern.  I'll speak with the captains and have them schedule around WW, if possible - especially when it comes to scrims and practices.  That being said, we'll leave Wednesday as a possible match night.  Can be tough scheduling 12 people, and removing an extra evening from the equation would hurt.

• crockrocket and Elite_is_salty like this

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

Throughout the course of both TPG seasons that WW has been active, attendance has dropped steeply when TPG is active - and it has indeed been largely TPG members that regularly attend not showing up that is responsible for this. This is not an opinion - as someone who takes metrics on my own event, this is an entirely factual observation.

What's interesting is that oftentimes players who do not have a scheduled match or even a scrim that are usually in attendance do not show. I believe this is because WW is typically the best way for players at these tiers to get solid organized games going (at least on Wednesdays)- whereas during TPG everyone is active and the "necessity" is no longer there.

This is not a bad thing. WW has regrettably never been widely attended by players below around 2100 MMR - though this has changed gradually (only to have many of these players come together to form teams like The B Team, TDM, and VR - a sign I take as an incredibly positive effect as WW is actually growing Hawken's competitive community.)

I continue to encourage newer or more casual players to attend, as it is a great method to very legitimately get better at the game and participate in the community.

This all being said, after somewhere between 60 and 70 WWs hosted (I think - I believe it's been a couple months over a year since its start - with practically zero breaks aside from a short hiatus during the silence), where the norm is often two or three servers and a high level of chaos that requires someone with the experience of continually organizing the event, I am considering putting my personal hosting duties on hiatus during this "off season" in order to give more time to my early graphic design career and to yell at people in other games. Were this to occur, even at the first mention of this I acquired three volunteers to step up to the plate and run things temporarily. This is still an item I'm debating and have no conclusive thought on it.

So - the answer to the question in the title seems to be a definitive yes, and it's certainly worse when matches are scheduled on Wednesday, but that's not the whole story - nor is it always a negative in terms of Hawken as a whole.

I would however give some caution to the organization to scheduling their seasons too close together, as well as to team captains considering scheduling matches on Wednesdays, as we utilize the same playerbase, and the event and the league seem to mutually benefit each other in the long term.

As for Elite, I do very much appreciate the concern.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, 10 July 2015 - 09:20 PM.

• Nept, Elite_is_salty and Badtings like this

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

And your proof is?

Please do not try to ruin every post I make. Please. This is a TPG related thing, and since you don't play in it / potentially don't watch TPG games, your opinions, while totally respected, and your input, while appreciated, are not helping anyone or anything.

(Was that polite enough Amid?)

• Amidatelion likes this

The PC community is the red headed step child Reloaded never wanted but got saddled with when they married the PC community's mother.

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

No bitterness here. /s

But I have lost huge amounts of MMR getting banged up in War Wednesdays, gotten rekt with Chardonnay or Sake, and gottten rekt by many awesome players.and had a hoot doing it.War Wednesdays is GuD!!!

YMMV.

I honestly believe you didn't understand what I was saying, and I couldn't make sense out of what you said unfortunately, and I won't try harder to do so.

• MajyckToad likes this

MajyckToad

MajyckToad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

yes but your lower level teams are lower level from the 2500 -2800 perspective. when i went into bots-tdm (one of the first places noobs land) and talked it up, next 1 or 2 nights were not productive. you were all expert or high level not a noob freindly site, and regardless of explanations i got flamed.. how do i counter that opinion when every match set up is for 200 to 500 mmr higher than the folks i play with? they like a laid back easy framework, not a rip your nuts off (like i do) match?

and last of all, tonite i went looking for a 1200-1500 range TPG environment for links i could spam with to welcome noobs, and guess what? 

No Such Animal. you are upper tier oriented, and quit trying to present yourselves as anything else. sad.

and for WW issues? i love WW. please go away.

BkeETgs.jpg

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

I feel there might be a misinterpretation here. Elite is expressing concern that TPG is eating into the populace of WW - he's not in any way trying to degrade it, rather the opposite.

• Badtings likes this

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

and the event and the league seem to mutually benefit each other in the long term.

This is so true. WW is to the TPG, what the D-league (development-league) is to the NBA.

WW prepares new players who like organized HAWKEN to play in the TPG as in WW they get to play along with skilled veterans and live the HAWKEN gameplay at its finest.

When WW is active, people are able to gather people and do scrims easily. Teams can find ringers easily too.

Also WW allow captains to have a look at many names that can be added to their teams on the long run. A fine recruitment space.

• Badtings likes this

MajyckToad

MajyckToad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

oh, and as much as you try, Elite, you set yourself up for every negative post you receive,

BkeETgs.jpg

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

No Such Animal. you are upper tier oriented, and quit trying to present yourselves as anything else. sad.

For 2 seasons, Vendetta, our team, now THC, has been a major underdog, losing more than 90% of our matches, and getting raped terrible every week. We've had people leave, but 3 of us stuck around and we improved our team. Still get raped by the really good teams, but do not care. We have 4 other teams that we can compete with: TBT, TDM, vR, TANG. Facing those 4 teams, we know that we have a change to win, maybe not always, but we know it's possible, so we're gonna enjoy more than half of our matches. We'll take that.

The avg mmr of our team is less than 2200.

We do wish there was an avg MMR cap, but this idea was never welcomed. I still have hope it will be implemented in the future.

• Badtings likes this

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Attendance is down for War Wednesday, no doubt due in part to TPG teams needing practice sessions and that "wearing them out" so to speak. Not really sure how to combat this other than more aggressive advertisement - those teams are pretty well spoken for and are enjoying organized play.

The other issue, that we also can't really do anything about other than recruit more, is that it's summer - a lot of people stuck inside traditionally during this time slot (high school students, uni students) are freed from their commitments and tend to be out more. A lot of the people still attending are in the older crowd.

Really, my only answer to this is rolling out more advertising. I'll see about drumming something up, at the very least engaging with more people in various comms. But my energy is extremely limited these days, so if someone wants to volunteer and talk up some streamers, get them interested, that would take care of about a third of my plan.

• Nept and Badtings like this

eth0

eth0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

No bitterness here. /s

The following is my own opinion and does not represent the views of the league or the admins:

Right off the bat somebody brings MMR into it. If you want a 1500 MMR bracket, glhf finding pilots to support it. Until then, we're gathering any and every pilot who shows up, even the super duper killer players. If our efforts make you bitter, we'll see you at the friendly community competitions of War Wednesday.

And about being "noob-comfy"; it's a fuzzy bunny competitive league. We are concerned with getting the very best out of every single pilot that plays.

MMR again! I don't see how it matters whether your MMR goes up or down. We're here to have fun and we want that in WW and TPG. If you're one to discriminate then you're welcome to leave TPG be.

It's not "their own doing", it's you being bitter. Just the facts.

Personally, I'm always recommending WW to new pilots but don't get to attend as much as I like. I'll try to highlight community events more on my stream (and also stream more).

Has anyone started a community calendar? Something event organizers can have access to for adding and editing events, but is available for public viewing. I sure as heck would put that on my AFK scene for streaming.

• Nept, CounterlogicMan and Badtings like this

Pubstomping is a whole different strategic discussion, however, and usually just becomes an exploration of the ethics of dumpstering randos.

UYoy63i.png

Why mech game make when you no mech game have you don't want to make? 

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

No bitterness here. /s

YMMV.

I would say probably no more than half my team is 1800+ mmr, just wanted to point that out. I can understand that tpg isn't a good fit for you personally, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a place for lower mmr players.

As far as the topic goes, I think (other than when we had a match scheduled during WW time) that participation from my team has remained similar to before, though I don't know that for sure since I've had to miss quite a few War Wednesdays for entirely unrelated reasons. It is fairly logical though that when people are already practicing 2 - 3 times a week in addition to playing an actual match, they may be less likely to attend.

I've been trying to avoid scheduling during WW, but if that's the only time I can make the fuzzy bunny match happen then that's when I'll do it.

This is so true. WW is to the TPG, what the D-league (development-league) is to the NBA.

WW prepares new players who like organized HAWKEN to play in the TPG as in WW they get to play along with skilled veterans and live the HAWKEN gameplay at its finest.

When WW is active, people are able to gather people and do scrims easily. Teams can find ringers easily too.

Also WW allow captains to have a look at many names that can be added to their teams on the long run. A fine recruitment space.

This is in fact how TDM has done the bulk of its recruitment, for both the team and the clan itself.

Edited by (TDM)crockrocket, 11 July 2015 - 08:18 AM.

• Nept, Elite_is_salty and Badtings like this

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

M1lkshake

M1lkshake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Not going to read through most of the rest of the posts because I simply don't have the time.

Team TANG's practices have avoided, and will continue to avoid, being placed on Wednesday. However, if Wednesday is the only day that works for a match against a particular team, I won't hesitate to schedule it for that day. That's the best I can do.

• Nept and _incitatus like this

"How do you avoid these cognitive biases? First, be aware of them. Recognize that we're all susceptible. Second, reconsider your first instinct whenever you've performed poorly. Often, these first thoughts revolve around preserving self-esteem and distancing yourself from responsibility. Always consider poor performances your fault, as that places them within your realm of control." - Nept

The Automatic Mustangs

TPG Master Thread <-- Interested in competitive Hawken? See here.

Credit for the Automatic Mustang logo goes to Breadeffect.

CounterlogicMan

CounterlogicMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

War Wednesday has been an important part of this community ever since it was started. It has been an anchor point, and a means for, many players to stay with Hawken. Thanks for keeping it going Tickle. If you need help keeping it running in the future. PM me.

As for TPG not being lower mmr friendly. We are friendly to lower mmr players. Not every team in the league is full of over 2000 mmr players. The number of players under 2000 mmr is growing. One of our goals this season is to expand the ranks of TPG. The more <2000 mmr players that join, the more likely they are to face other <2000 mmr players. It would be nice to have an open and an invite division but there are simply not enough teams to do so. So until enough <2000 mmr players get together and form teams we cannot separate the 2500+ mmr teams from the <2500 mmr teams. 

Anyone, including players with <2000 mmr,  who are interested in forming a team or joining a team should definitely contact a TPG admin. The TPG Admin team is more than willing to help new teams get their footing as far as captaining, practices, teamspeak channels, etc.

• Nept and Badtings like this

Axe-Attack Check us out! Stream I stream spasmodically.

TPG Hawken Admin.

TPG 3 has concluded! If you are interested in participating in TPG Season 4 gather a group and form a team or try and join an existing team! Stay tuned to the forums for updates on the details of TPG Season 4.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users