9 replies to this topic

SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Greetings, Pilots!

So I was at some crazy huge garage sale, and I stumbled across a joystick and throttle system. Lady didn't know what it was, so I gave her 10$ for it. Get it home, plug it in, get the driver, and we're off! Lights on, everyone's home, life is good. I haven't gotten it into a game yet, but I can't help but wonder if it would be compatible with HAWKEN? It's a sliding throttle control handle and a standard control stick.

410OXRTixWL.jpg

Any thoughts?

• CrimsonKaim, eth0 and Badtings like this

cUB1aCW.jpg?2

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

tl;dr anything works with joy2key or similar

Actual answer: good fuzzy bunnyng luck keeping up with garbage reaction time and accuracy.

• OdinTheWise likes this

SS396

SS396

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Don't listen to the grumpy guss, theres plenty of people that play with a controller of some sort.

If you installed both of Saiteks driver and profiler software (from their website Saitek.com), then it will work right out of the bag.  You just configure the profiler software for each button or axis to be the same key used in Hawken.  Its really simple, and I love Saitek products, I have a X52 Pro that I use for flight sims.

Also theres actually a joystick eraser type mouse on that throttle quadrant (thumb control), but I don't know if you want to try to play using that thing.  lol.

[DELETED]

fuzzy bunny you CZeroFive 

MacTep_6oT

MacTep_6oT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

i suck overall, but have some luck with a 360 joypad. rock on, dude, get skilled, get kills.

:)

enjoy:

Edited by ?????? ???, 11 July 2015 - 09:06 PM.

mjU56gg.jpg

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

I actually tried it out already to play Hawken with a joystick. Feels terrible and you can't become fast enough or in the end you will use buttons instead of the actual throttle/control stick.

Your Saitek is a pretty standart joystick, though for 10$ you saved like 90% of the actual (new) price. 

Me for myself, I will probably get a X55 Rhino HOTAS system for Elite:Dangerous. 

Why don't you have Elite:Dangerous?

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

tl;dr anything works with joy2key or similar

So I got j2k, but it won't recognize the throttle (the one that only goes back and forth). I tested the sticks and they both work flawlessly, and Google has failed me, so I'm not 100% sure what to do. Any thoughts? Anyone?

Why don't you have Elite:Dangerous?

Cuz munies.

cUB1aCW.jpg?2

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts
Some programs have issues parsing the throttle. Think of it like this - the throttle represents "go this fast, according to this gradiated variable" in a game where a "gradiated variable" doesn't exist.

You need to bind WASD to either your joystick or hat and then mouse to the other. Use whichever has the most degrees of movement for your mouse controls.

eth0

eth0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

x360ce may be useful or not depending on what kind of controls you're loking for in-game. It will also work combined with other key emulation and binds. For example, I just wanted an extra left/movement joystick so I only configured that part.

Pubstomping is a whole different strategic discussion, however, and usually just becomes an exploration of the ethics of dumpstering randos.

UYoy63i.png

Why mech game make when you no mech game have you don't want to make? 

SS396

SS396

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

So I got j2k, but it won't recognize the throttle (the one that only goes back and forth). I tested the sticks and they both work flawlessly, and Google has failed me, so I'm not 100% sure what to do. Any thoughts? Anyone?

Like I said earlier don't use any external mapping programs just use the profiler software from the Saitek website, its crazy powerful once you learn how to use it and set all the different modes for whatever button or axis you want to use.

You want to set the throttle to "bands" (click the little right arrow button next to the throttle area) and then set 0 to 33 to W, and 33 to 67 to nothing, and 67 to 100 to S like this:

Dd2a5Ch.png

Once you have it set to bands edit the bands and narrow them to like 0-48, 48-52, 52-100.  Then use the test profile (gear icon in the profiler) to test out the key mapping.

Edited by SS396, 12 July 2015 - 01:12 PM.

[DELETED]

fuzzy bunny you CZeroFive 

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Cuz munies.

the x52 pro is the unofficial official joystick of elite dangerous 

We Can Dance If We Want To     

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Saitek, x45, throttle/control stick, joystick, hardware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users