Photo

PRO HAWKEN: How are you playing? (mouse, keypad, JOYSTICK?!)

- - - - - mouse keypad control pro joystick wasd keyboard gaming

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

MegaZoneEX

MegaZoneEX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Im using a RAZER Tartarus and might move up to a razer orbweaver later

i use the keys the same [wasd] buy my jump [Spacebar] is the paddle and the thumbstick are my numberpad 

jFKaxa6PBH04Y.png

Im using a Razer Deathadder Mouse, nothing special here though i could bind healing the the side buttons.

Im actually curious if a Joystick could work for movement especially for those intense strafing moments.

What do you guys think :D?

Edited by MegaZoneEX, 19 September 2015 - 03:51 PM.

• 6ixxer likes this

kaiserschmarrn_

kaiserschmarrn_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

2500 mmr, ranked 41st

Don't use a joystick, doesn't really provide advantages, and is harder to get used to (also consider you need left, right and middle mouse to shoot)

I use straight Razer Death Adder and a generic keyboard (gonna get my hands on a Noppoo Lolita). Extravagant peripherals won't do much for you in HAWKEN.

Have fun, nice keyboard + nice mouse = all you need

edit: don't bind heal to the side buttons, bind your items (1, 2, 3).

Edited by Kaiserschmarrn_, 19 September 2015 - 03:57 PM.

• DieselCat, BimboRotto, JackVandal and 1 other like this

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Competitive Hawken league player here.

I use an ancient (but really fuzzy bunnyng amazing) Microsoft Intellimouse Optical and a generic keyboard.  I don't need any silly expensive gamer gear to wreck noobs.

• DieselCat and thedark20 like this

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts
For e peen purposes relative to meatmisile (actually ranked 53rd), I must state that at the point that I played this game consistently I made it into the top 30 using European servers. Suck it.

I use an orbweaver. The thumb stick for me is basically one big shift button. Instead of straining my stupid pinky, I just move my thumb in line with my WASD, and bunny hopping simply becomes a flick of the thumb. My pinky does repair stuff and looking at the scoreboard.

My ring, middle, and index fingers never leave WASD. Items on mouse. Also my thumb button on my mouse does the weapon ability thing. Way better for sniping than clicking mouse3.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, 19 September 2015 - 06:11 PM.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

ATX22

ATX22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Generic Logitech optical mouse and old KeyTronic keyboard.

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

For e peen purposes relative to meatmisile (actually ranked 53rd)

www_playhawken_com?

Did I say Call Me Ishmael?

You should call me Luna.

Onstrava

Onstrava

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Pfft whatever scrubs. I use this.

Everything else is childs play.

Edited by Onstrava, 19 September 2015 - 07:38 PM.

• Miscellaneous, Merl61, talon70 and 5 others like this

Hold on to the things you care about most, even if others see it as insignificant..If you can't be true to yourself, are you really living?

W4znwFO.jpg1sHSjPn.png1sHSjPn.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngbANk8SP.jpgMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.png1sHSjPn.pngW4znwFO.jpg

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Some generic MX-blue keyboard by Rosewill and a Sharkk sk133u.

Prior to that I was on one of those super ubiquitous dell keyboards and a gigabyte m6800, and the setup worked pretty much the same as my current one.

It's obvious however I will never be as good as Onstrava until I up my game in the input device department.

Edited by Hyginos, 19 September 2015 - 08:24 PM.

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

kaiserschmarrn_

kaiserschmarrn_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

(actually ranked 53rd)

LIES!

its not like i purposefully haven't looked at the leaderboard for ages because I know my mmr has gone down...

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

LIES!

its not like i purposefully haven't looked at the leaderboard for ages because I know my mmr has gone down...

Actually you're 42 on the NA leaderboard, which is close enough. I think not checking the global leaderboard was the error.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

FEF-FEFington

FEF-FEFington

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

507th on the global board (It fluctuates between 2050MMR - 2175MMR, so there's no point in posting position) 9th or higher out of <50 on the Oceania board (A few smurfs here and there)

I use a Logitech G510s keyboard and a Gygabyte M6900 Mouse @ 1600DPI for everything but using the SharpShooter (Use it at 400DPI)

I don't have a 5w4gg1ng setup like most others, but my setup has all I like and need

76561198011099779.png

Formerly known as "HawkeyeJ"

Also Known As "The guy who played Hawken with a steering wheel"

YouTube | Steam

Rainbow_Sheep

Rainbow_Sheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
I play on a laptop.

Yeah, that's about it.
  • LaurenEmily, Knowledge70 and old_skul90 like this

Spoiler

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

Dual joysticks for maximum difficulty.

Gamepad for relaxed plays

Mouse + keyboard for pro plays

... a steering wheel for the lulz

And furthermore: Touchscreen for maximum inefficiency

• LaurenEmily, old_skul90, FEF-FEFington and 1 other like this

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

devotion

devotion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

i use a steelseries rival and a stock hp keyboard.

planning to replace my keyboard for a corsair k70 come black friday. whenever my rival gives out, i have a sealed logitech g303 i'm interested in trying.

ArchMech

ArchMech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

I use the vulcan mind meld technique on my cpus motherboard

Edited by the dark side calls to you, 20 September 2015 - 01:42 AM.

• 1uster and Siamenis like this

don't mind me, i'm just on a crusade against humanity, by the end of my lifespan earth's population will be 8 billion+ trolls

Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

E-peen wiggling: #15 Worldwide and #1 in Europe at 2648 MMR.

A couple years old 8-euro Dell keyboard and a used Roccat Kone [+] I got from a relative.

800dpi with 8-10 in-game sens, push-to-talk for TS on one of my thumb mouse buttons.

• 1uster likes this

thedark20

thedark20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Why do you need this expensive things? Just get something taht works properly

Steel

Steel everywhere~

kaiserschmarrn_

kaiserschmarrn_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Actually you're 42 on the NA leaderboard, which is close enough. I think not checking the global leaderboard was the error.

oh theres a global one?

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

Why do you need this expensive things? Just get something taht works properly

Because this:

Spoiler

looks far better than this: 

Spoiler

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

eth0

eth0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Mouse + Logitech G13 most days. G13 thumb stick for items, mouse thumbs for scope and ability.

When I'm feeling lazy or showing friends I use an xbox controller. Occasionally I use the G13 joystick for analog movement, still aiming with the mouse.

Pubstomping is a whole different strategic discussion, however, and usually just becomes an exploration of the ethics of dumpstering randos.

UYoy63i.png

Why mech game make when you no mech game have you don't want to make? 

WillyW

WillyW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

I use the Steelseries Merc Stealth. It has an integrated gamepad off the left side of the keyboard. It basically replicates the WASD keys, along with the surrounding keys but in a more ergonomic way.

steelseries-merc.jpg

The keyboard was originally created by a company called Ideazon, and the Z-engine software is still used, even with the new branded Steelseries models. You can customize every key to be whatever you want. There are also a bunch of preset key configurations for most games. This is what the program looks like:

KH24LOV.png?1

It also has a back light (not shown in the above pictures). The colors are Red, Blue, and Purple. But I have always used Red.

xBHVEFm.jpg

Edited by WillyW, 20 September 2015 - 01:07 PM.

2XhpJes.png

DeeRax

DeeRax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Nothing too fancy; just a lil' fancy will do.

Sentey GS-3520 Aphelion Gaming Mouse
sentey-gs-3520-aphelion-gaming-mouse-14.

Corsair Gaming Strafe Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Cherry MX Red

strafe_main.jpg

Actually, just got this stuff for my b-day a few days ago. :cool:

Before I was using a shitty generic keyboard that I have had for years and have completely rubbed off the WASD & shift keys, and a crappy generic Dell mouse that would randomly force me to look straight up sometimes. They served me well, I guess, considering. lol.

To my sincere disappoint, acquiring better stuff did not make my MMR suddenly & magically jump 500 pts.

(That was a joke, BTW).

starfox-sig.gifrYFaSGG.gif

2XhpJes.png

"DeeRax's got what you've always wanted."

SparkyJJC

SparkyJJC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
a computer
  • Aregon, 1uster, LaurenEmily and 3 others like this

AXgnWyr.png

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

i use a corsair k70 with mx cherri reds. it craped out on me once so i sent it in and they replaced it. 

my mouse is an evga torqa x10 carbon. it is simple and i really like the feel. the carbon fiber is a nice touch too.

evga-torq-x10-01_t.jpg

We Can Dance If We Want To     

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

To my sincere disappoint, acquiring better stuff did not make my MMR suddenly & magically jump 500 pts.

It did me.  I went from a T9600 GTX 260M laptop playing this game to an i5 with GTX660.

THEN I went to an i7 4790, SSD, and dual GTX770s

and then I fixed my home network with a gigabit switch, dedicated wireless router off the switch, and FIOS on the switch WAN.

My MMR is still climbing...  I think.  Actually, I'm not sure. I am sure it got better overall, but don't know what my MMR actually *is*.

Edit: so, I went from 1200 in the first step to 1900.  Then to 2290 (I got one acct to 2350 but that was cheezy) in the second.  The last step - who knows?

Edited by Call_Me_Ishmael, 20 September 2015 - 02:05 PM.

• DeeRax likes this

Did I say Call Me Ishmael?

You should call me Luna.

PsychedelicGrass

PsychedelicGrass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
I use a rat 7 mouse at around 2800 dpi (i lower it to 2300 when using longer range weapons) and 9 in game sensitivity

And some generic keyboard that cost like $10

What's the big fuzzy bunnyng deal? Lots of amazing people have committed suicide, and they turned out alright.

Nov8tr

Nov8tr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

On my main system I use a Sharkoon Drakonia Black gaming mouse on a Mionix PROPEL 360 game pad and a Razor Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth mechanical keyboard. On my 2nd system I use a HP Laser gaming mouse with a Corsair MM200 mouse pad and a Azio MGK1 mechanical keyboard. (My favorite keyboard I've ever owned in 44 yrs of computers. LOVE the look, the pure while lighting, the brushed aluminum surface and the feel of the keys.)

Razor Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth keyboard-

Spoiler

Sharkoon Drakonia Black mouse-

Spoiler

Azio MGK1 Keyboard (wristrest is removeable)-

Spoiler

HP Laser gaming mouse-

Spoiler

Edited by Nov8tr, 21 September 2015 - 01:20 AM.

"Nov8tr" is pronounced "INNOVATOR"

aEGHJsh.gif?1

Yes I'm really 64 yrs old. July 6, 1953

M1lkshake

M1lkshake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

FYI, here is a google doc I picked up recently showing some of the best mice and mice sensors out right now:

https://docs.google....mZcg/edit#gid=0

Has a lot of other info on there too I haven't really looked at.

• eth0 likes this

"How do you avoid these cognitive biases? First, be aware of them. Recognize that we're all susceptible. Second, reconsider your first instinct whenever you've performed poorly. Often, these first thoughts revolve around preserving self-esteem and distancing yourself from responsibility. Always consider poor performances your fault, as that places them within your realm of control." - Nept

The Automatic Mustangs

TPG Master Thread <-- Interested in competitive Hawken? See here.

Credit for the Automatic Mustang logo goes to Breadeffect.

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Zowie EC2-A at 400 DPI and 11 sensitivity/CM Quickfire Rapid with MX Reds/Steelseries QCK Heavy

d1eZeG3.png

DieselCat

DieselCat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Both 2+ yrs old : look and work great !

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16826249092       Paid $35.32

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16823109191       Paid $39.99

*+

Edited by DieselCat, 20 September 2015 - 03:57 PM.

Just Relax....and take life one game at a time....

Don't run to your death....walk

th_Duckman.jpg   th_82c0a97c-98de-4aac-be47-05e5e099be80.

*+

yoshimotosog

yoshimotosog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

well im using a weird membrane razer keyboard.

and for pro tips....

hmmm...

well, if theres anything i'd reccomend to becoming more pro is probably rebinding your weapon utility button to something else. taking your finger off the right/left mouse button to click the middle mouse button isnt allways the best thing to do in the middle of a fight. besides that middle mouse buttons tend to be not as responsove/clicky as other buttons. i rebinded it to E, but im not sure if this works out for everyone.

also i rebinded the middle mouse button to lounch deployables, since if you're gonna be choosing what deployable you'll throw out, your finger will already be on the scroll wheel, so might aswell click it. its probably faster than leaving a finger off the wasd to click the 123 buttons.

well if you wanna be pro, you should look try to make yourself comfortable in your keyboard. being able to save a fraction of a second myght mean life or death, so allways look for ways to make your input faster and more effective.

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Since we're vaguely on the subject of mice: http://www.pcgamer.c...e-myths-busted/

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

This topic again... OK.  Here's how I do it.  Keeps my tendonitis and carpal tunnel from acting up while I play... and improved my game quite a bit.

Controller in left hand and mouse in right hand.

0GW3Bj6.jpg

gLlIz3y.jpg

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

It's best to get a mouse with a DPI light on it.

Then while playing Hawken, when someone kills you, you can turn on your rage mode: "Oooooh now you've done it!!!"  *click* *mouse starts glowing*

Remember to scream like a phoenix when you get a 7% revenge kill.

• Bergwein likes this

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

This topic again... OK.  Here's how I do it.  Keeps my tendonitis and carpal tunnel from acting up while I play... and improved my game quite a bit.

Controller in left hand and mouse in right hand.

0GW3Bj6.jpg

gLlIz3y.jpg

This sounds cool but incredibly over-complicated.. How long does it even take to get used to that hassle ?

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

I lefthand joystick and righthand mouse.

Its very intuitive. Perhaps not as perfect response time as a keyboard  but I am fuzzy bunny at WASD

• StubbornPuppet likes this

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

LaurenEmily, it's not complicated.  Perhaps my graphic is poorly constructed.  The best thing is to ignore the right side of the controller image.

One could literally map the buttons a hundred different ways.  I chose to do the JUMP and FIRE buttons the way I did because those are the things I don't ever want to take my fingers off of.  And with the left sticks 'clicker' being boost/dodge, it makes it so I never have to reposition a single finger during combat.  The only thing I ever have to lift at all is my left thumb... and that's only to repair.

I went from ASWD to this and was comfortable in about 15 minutes.  My MMR started to climb at a pretty good clip and I had gone up by 300 in two days.  The fact that it also relieved the problems with carpal tunnel syndrome and tendonitis in my left hand/forearm to where I could play more than 30 minutes was a big thing for me.

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

Instead of retyping, here are my posts in the other controller thread: 

https://community.pl...fer/#entry41035

Includes pics of the joystick I use:

https://community.pl...ge-2#entry41925

https://community.pl...ge-2#entry41932

• Derpy Hooves likes this

spr1nterJam

spr1nterJam

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

IBM keyboard+Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Instead of retyping, here are my posts in the other controller thread: 

https://community.pl...fer/#entry41035

Includes pics of the joystick I use:

https://community.pl...ge-2#entry41925

https://community.pl...ge-2#entry41932

Ooooh yay, someone else that uses joysticks, though I use two, do to ease on carpel tunnel related issues, though I never did like the saiteks and went dual thrustmaster hotas warthogs instead.

hotaswarthog-flightstick.png

tTIViUr.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mouse, keypad, control, pro, joystick, wasd, keyboard, gaming

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users