• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

RedOutRacer

RedOutRacer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, folks!
I didn't played Hawken for a ~6 months. And when i bought new videocard – i wanted to play Hawken again. 
But in-game i got problems with mouse and camera: 
• when i move mouse quickly – camera moves slow; 
• when i move mouse slowly – camera moves faster. 
It's like mouse acceleration, but mouse deceleration. 
I tried different setting, i enabled/disabled mouse acceleration in-game and in control panel – but got same result, nothing changed.
Any ideas?

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

this is not mouse acceleration

you are just hitting the turn speed cap

You are doing nothing wrong except moving your mouse at the wrong speeds to play the game properly

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

RedOutRacer

RedOutRacer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

If I

just hitting the turn speed cap

then camera should just not to turn faster certain speed.

But not be less than when I move mouse slowly.

Or I don't understand something?

• dorobo and Sokram like this

ArchMech

ArchMech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

its a normal everyday hawken problem

don't mind me, i'm just on a crusade against humanity, by the end of my lifespan earth's population will be 8 billion+ trolls

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

If I

then camera should just not to turn faster certain speed.

But not be less than when I move mouse slowly.

Or I don't understand something?

This game has a maximum turn speed cap.  No matter how fast you move your mouse across the screen, as soon as you hit the max turn speed, you will continue to move at that speed, regardless of how fast your mouse actually moves. Moving your mouse slower means you are likely closer to the allowed turnspeed of the mech which results in a smoother, farther turn.  Moving your mouse faster than the cap makes the game think you finished your turn (you move your mouse fast and end your movement sooner), thus resulting in a lesser distance traveled. 

You will move farther turning at the turnspeed (moving mouse slower) than trying to turn faster than the turn speed (moving mouse fast).  I'm probably not explaining this 100% correctly but TLDR there is a turn speed cap, you are hitting it, it's not mouse acceleration.

Edited by Silverfire, 06 June 2017 - 08:08 PM.

lNM7VnC.png

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Robots have slower pelvis. It's all nuts and bolts in that 6itch.

Edited by dorobo, 06 June 2017 - 10:58 PM.

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

This game has a maximum turn speed cap.  No matter how fast you move your mouse across the screen, as soon as you hit the max turn speed, you will continue to move at that speed, regardless of how fast your mouse actually moves. Moving your mouse slower means you are likely closer to the allowed turnspeed of the mech which results in a smoother, farther turn.  Moving your mouse faster than the cap makes the game think you finished your turn (you move your mouse fast and end your movement sooner), thus resulting in a lesser distance traveled. 

You will move farther turning at the turnspeed (moving mouse slower) than trying to turn faster than the turn speed (moving mouse fast).  I'm probably not explaining this 100% correctly but TLDR there is a turn speed cap, you are hitting it, it's not mouse acceleration.

Now launch the game, try to move your mouse close to the turn cap, and then do the same much faster. You'll see clearly that he's right and you're wrong.

nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2058 posts

which mouse you use?
maybe you can make a video of this process?

Kompotka 3000. 2D ha?ken game: https://community.pl...ve/?hl=kompotka

Interceptor, B-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...itdefence-mech/

Challenger, C-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...ccepted-thread/

G2-Brawler, C-class mech concept: https://community.pl...pacaka-is-here/

Kinetik, B-class mech concept: https://community.pl...ass-shotgunner/

Melter, A-class mech concept: https://community.pl...-class-support/

wischatesjesus

wischatesjesus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Your observation is essentially correct. The turn cap is enforced by negative mouse acceleration. The mouse speed-to-turn speed graph probably looks something like a hump, with its peak sitting at the turn cap. This is not something you can "fix" so much as it is a game mechanic.

Try lowering your sensitivity and see if that is more comfortable.

• RedOutRacer likes this

oFFOtRH.jpg

High Tier Cabal (Noun): A group of people who used to play Hawken.  

RedOutRacer

RedOutRacer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

which mouse you use?

Logitech M185. So the driver is ok. And it has no additional options/buttons.

maybe you can make a video of this process?

No, I have no camera. And my phone is SE W350 with 1.3 Mpix :D You won't see a thing.

Try lowering your sensitivity and see if that is more comfortable.

Good idea. I'll try it.

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Now launch the game, try to move your mouse close to the turn cap, and then do the same much faster. You'll see clearly that he's right and you're wrong.

Hmm, then I've been lied to for years or I just haven't kept up. 

lNM7VnC.png

Sokram

Sokram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Yeah....Its really bad, that mouse deceleration.

Its as if its intended to punish those who are not patient enough to move mouse slowly and with extra care...

I get top rotation speed when i move my mouse at about 1 cm/ second (17 sensitivity).   Faster than that and my rotation speed drops like crazy.

Even at mouse sensitivity 0 it drops heavy. 

That screws up my aim real hard...especially when i fight A class.....They are just much faster than even top rotation speed...and i just tend to move mouse a bit too fast here and there.....I lose alot because of that. Just cant get used to it.

Also,  controllers dont have this issue.  If you increase sensitivity even to maximum, rotation speed cap will only cap it. Not slow it down to crawl.

Edited by Sokram, 07 June 2017 - 09:49 AM.

wischatesjesus

wischatesjesus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

I get top rotation speed when i move my mouse at about 1 cm/ second (17 sensitivity).   Faster than that and my rotation speed drops like crazy.

Even at mouse sensitivity 0 it drops heavy. 

What mouse DPI are you running? That seems much harsher than I have experienced personally.

oFFOtRH.jpg

High Tier Cabal (Noun): A group of people who used to play Hawken.  

Fantus_Longhorn

Fantus_Longhorn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

I could do with remaking this but I believe the underlying mouse code hasn't changed:

The above video combines movement at the turn-cap and movement well above the cap. The distance moved in both instances is identical as the mouse has been moving for an equal length of time in both scenarios. There is no negative acceleration or the faster speed would have resulted in the mech turning less in the same length of time. Anything funky going on would be down to individual mouse settings like smoothing or acceleration options set in the driver.

The perception of negative acceleration comes from faster movements ending sooner. Time spent moving the mouse is what is key here as the game stops moving when the mouse stops.

• DerMax and wischatesjesus like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mouse, camera, acceleration

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users