Photo

Just bring back the in-game Voip please?

- - - - - voip in-game communication

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Luaq

Luaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

There's really no reason to have removed a feature when you can actually disable it (mute)

It's counter effective to limit communication between players (people) especially for the new players

You can shout whatever "good" reason about taking it off, if you don't want to use it, fine, if you find it annoying, disable voip. Problem solved and doesn't limit others from using it.

Edited by Luaq, 03 August 2015 - 06:53 PM.

• M4st0d0n likes this

HK-47D

HK-47D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Query: When was the VoIP working for you?

Statement: I believe that performance improvements and additional content rank higher on the to-do list than re-inventing teamspeak.

• Odinous and Hilljack like this

(\__/)
(='.'=) 

(") (")?

BluetoothBoy

BluetoothBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Query: When was the VoIP working for you?

Statement: I believe that performance improvements and additional content rank higher on the to-do list than re-inventing teamspeak.

I could hear people over the VoIP just fine. ;)

• Luaq likes this

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

I could be wrong, but I think I heard there were actual issues they couldn't work around at the time and, well, with the game changing hands there is more important work to do than voip.

SS396

SS396

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

There's really no reason to have removed a feature when you can actually disable it (mute)

It's counter effective to limit communication between players (people) especially for the new players

You can shout whatever "good" reason about taking it off, if you don't want to use it, fine, if you find it annoying, disable voip. Problem solved and doesn't limit others from using it.

They (Reloaded) didn't remove it for any other reason but because it was BROKEN and it quit working correctly after they (Adhesive) upgraded the  Vivox versions quite a few patches back one day.  Mine hadn't worked in years (It quit a few months after the steam release or me, but others I have heard say it still worked for them when mine had stopped).  It needs to be redone, and maybe a new VOIP system implemented and used, yeah.  But really for some reason, I don't think you understand why they removed it in the first place, since you elluded that it was removed for something other than an actual serious failure and problem.

• Odinous, DieselCat and fAEth like this

[DELETED]

fuzzy bunny you CZeroFive 

hestoned

hestoned

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

god whats it been like 2 years since ive heard another person talk through a mic in hawken?

Luaq

Luaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

They (Reloaded) didn't remove it for any other reason but because it was BROKEN and it quit working correctly after they (Adhesive) upgraded the  Vivox versions quite a few patches back one day.  Mine hadn't worked in years (It quit a few months after the steam release or me, but others I have heard say it still worked for them when mine had stopped).  It needs to be redone, and maybe a new VOIP system implemented and used, yeah.  But really for some reason, I don't think you understand why they removed it in the first place, since you elluded that it was removed for something other than an actual serious failure and problem.

Seriously, for me it worked up until the moment they took it out. So if they took it out because of "serious" problems well they did fail to correct it. It won't excuse them because the task was too hard, at some point it was some bad decision because they couldn't manage the problem. Now that someone else is on top, I'm asking them to impliment it back and better.

Luaq

Luaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

god whats it been like 2 years since ive heard another person talk through a mic in hawken?

Somewhat yes and I also remember the time when we could show newbies where to go with custom beacons on the map while also talking to them directly

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

I do miss using voip. I hope Reloaded at least has fixing game voip somewhere in their grand plan.

• Odinous likes this

Jakyll

Jakyll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

I totally agree that voip was a useful feature.

Hawken claims to be a fast paced game. Therefore, a quick way to communicate serves this aspect better than the slow way of having to type everthing in the chat. It is much easier to help and guide new players by simply explaining stuff via voip. Just include the mute functionality so that nobody can annoy you with permanent claptrap.

Edited by Jakyll, 04 August 2015 - 12:38 AM.

bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Seriously, for me it worked up until the moment they took it out. So if they took it out because of "serious" problems well they did fail to correct it. It won't excuse them because the task was too hard, at some point it was some bad decision because they couldn't manage the problem. Now that someone else is on top, I'm asking them to impliment it back and better.

Early open beta, it was working, and worked well.  Then the Ascension patch was rolled out, and the in-game VoIP started breaking for a lot of players.  Sometimes it worked, other times it would randomly stop mid-match, for some it never worked right.

I remember logging into a test build and running tests with Defter, and he was confused as anything as to why it would randomly fail.

You may have been one of the lucky ones where it worked, but for many, including myself, it was about as stable as someone who was 'off their meds'.

As for Reloaded, yes, they know.  It was one of the first things that was mentioned to Cpt Josh shortly after the announcement.

• DieselCat and Luaq like this

Test dummy for science, Follower of Wheatons Law, usually hanging around #hawkenscrim and #spawn, occasional poster of YouTube videos and streaming.  Can also be found on twitter

cs5t805.png?2

reVelske

reVelske

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Maybe it's just me, but I don't honestly recall anyone ever using the in-game VoIP productively, instead of, you know, making silly noises.

• fAEth likes this

-Tj-

-Tj-

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

I remember a handful of players using it to call out targets that were low on health or where enemy groups were headed, even if no one was responding to them other than in chat. I salute their efforts. Would be nice to have that back eventually.

I recall Adhesive saying they took it out because it was too broken. Even before the Ascension patch, I remember it working very badly in some cases. Prime example: one guy on our team noticed a player on the opposing team he didn't care for, something about him being a real douche in previous games. Our team talker said, over voice chat, "feel free to make him your btich." Well, the voice chat decided to work badly that day, and it was letting ALL players hear team voice chats. That guy heard it and started blasting the voice chat guy over chat. It was simultaneously uncomfortable and hilarious all at once.

• fAEth likes this

PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

It was sweet though.

• KOS_Baconman and Luaq like this

khn3gAi.jpg?1CitkI9t.jpgGkp2fB7.jpg

Come on Crafty, you have been officially called out on your lies. Your online reputation is at stake here, this is just like an old school street race running for pink slips. Its run what you brung and hope its enough. Put up or shut the fuzzy bunny up.

Luaq

Luaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Yeah well, I wonder how hard it is to implement, I have no idea but I think it's about time. Waiting for a new list of plans for the near future as in this year...

HeavyMetalFenix

HeavyMetalFenix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Anyone else have the cross-server in-game VOIP glitch happen?

Confusing when it happened ("Why do you want us to stop shooting the ship? It hasn't even launched yet!",etc.), but we eventually figured it out.

"Uh, okay, everytime I say "Team 1", I mean we people playing Siege on Frontline. "Team 2" will be you people playing on Last Eco."

"Ok, sounds good. Team 2, go to E1 and get EU!"

• bacon_avenger, hestoned, JeffMagnum and 2 others like this

hestoned

hestoned

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Confusing when it happened ("Why do you want us to stop shooting the ship? It hasn't even launched yet!",etc.), but we eventually figured it out.

"Uh, okay, everytime I say "Team 1", I mean we people playing Siege on Frontline. "Team 2" will be you people playing on Last Eco."

yes that fuzzy bunny was hilarious. im nostalging so hard i forgot about that

thirtysix

thirtysix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

liked it, is useful, worked ok, mapped it to a button on my joystick, sounded decent even with my walmart mic

Asus Rampage III Extreme, Core I7 950, Dual EVGA 580Ti, 16Gb G.Skill Sniper, 240Gb PNY SSD, Walmart mic :P~

Nightfirebolt

Nightfirebolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

For some reason I could only ever get the VOIP to work for a single round. Next round it would be broken.

Don't know if they'll ever fix it, but for now we have the teamspeak: ts5.gameservers.com:9152

The mute button squelches text, so it still has a use.

Edited by Nightfirebolt, 04 August 2015 - 06:59 PM.

bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

yes that fuzzy bunny was hilarious. im nostalging so hard i forgot about that

Oh yes, I do remember that bug as well, had forgotten about it. :tongue:

But, IIRC, it was fixed and the VoIP worked pretty damned well right before Ascension was rolled out.

Test dummy for science, Follower of Wheatons Law, usually hanging around #hawkenscrim and #spawn, occasional poster of YouTube videos and streaming.  Can also be found on twitter

cs5t805.png?2

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

I never knew that the cross-chat between teams was a glitch - that's how it always worked for me on the rare occasions the voip ever worked at all.  So, it was still useless to me to say anything helpful to my team because I was also telling the enemy.  I even remember a whole topic about that on the old forum which reinforced my belief that the "all-talk" was just normal.  But, mostly, the voip was useless because it was so broken and I could never tell who could hear me or not.

The "all-talk" is the same reason I stopped bothering with the Teamspeak.  Most of what I want to say in a match is meant only as a helpful blurb about an immediate situation I want my team to be aware of.  With both teams on... it's just a wall of chaotic chatter.

• Luaq likes this

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

KOS_Baconman

KOS_Baconman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

I almost thought my game was being hacked when somebody started talking while I was in the garage

• Luaq and HeavyMetalFenix like this

What if we just give some bacon paint, some bacon holo-emotes and change Bunker from snow to bacon.

This way, everyone will be happy.

What you should really do, is replace your parts with bacon, so you can cook games and eat bacon

Obviously the wallpaper would be cooler if bacon was incorporated into it.

Luaq

Luaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

I never knew that the cross-chat between teams was a glitch - that's how it always worked for me on the rare occasions the voip ever worked at all.  So, it was still useless to me to say anything helpful to my team because I was also telling the enemy.  I even remember a whole topic about that on the old forum which reinforced my belief that the "all-talk" was just normal.  But, mostly, the voip was useless because it was so broken and I could never tell who could hear me or not.

The "all-talk" is the same reason I stopped bothering with the Teamspeak.  Most of what I want to say in a match is meant only as a helpful blurb about an immediate situation I want my team to be aware of.  With both teams on... it's just a wall of chaotic chatter.

that's my problem with the teamspeak channel... I can meet up with friends and play over our private mumble server but what about playing with other people? being in teamspeak in a public channel isn't my thing, I want the team to win not chill. Maybe teamspeak could have 5 channels? One for every game mode and all except deathmatch would have 2rooms? That would help me thinking of joining this teamspeak server...

capnjosh

capnjosh

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts

Vivox would be nice, I agree.  It was broken though (there are notes all over from the previous dev team).  They had even nearly completed a Steam voice integration it was so bad.

There are a few options to explore, Vivox being the more expensive of them.  We're down to needing some good gameplay and generalist programmers, btw.  We'll be sure to take a look at it again.

What do you guys think of Curse Voice?  It's crazy-easy to integrate (far, far easier than anything else).

• DieselCat, Luaq and Charcoal like this

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
I think anything that would easily allow people to talk to each other would make for a significantly better game. Thank you for looking at it.
  • Luaq likes this

wmmoney.png

MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

mine alwase worked too and ima bet that the ones that worked have network address translation

Luaq

Luaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

To capnjosh: Sincerely, thank you for looking&responding at this like you often do on other threads when you can!

To answer your question: I think for the moment, if you say/know for sure (because you actually don't want to start something that won't work) that Curse Voice works, is stable, is not a heavy program that might cause problems and also easy to implement, I guess we have all the reasons to try it at least temporarily!!!
if it's ''that'' easier to implement than other in-game voip the answer seems simple.

The benefits of bringing back a working voip are just so important for fps and competitive games. Also the community is so nice around here, on the forums even more! The only other game I felt the community made a difference was when I was alpha testing for Final Fantasy XIV:ARR (rebuild of the ''bad'' one). I mean, the devs would actually make video reports and answer questions that were asked 2weeks before in the thread where people could vote for the most important questions in the eyes of the testers... All that to say that I have great hope for this game and if the devs and community work together we can phoenix down (now that was geek) hawken and actually beat ultima weapon!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: voip, in-game, communication

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users