• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

DonCornelius

DonCornelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

i have a DSL internet. its pretty oldschool. i am afraid using a voice chat program will incrrease my ping or degrade the responsiveness of my controlls. anybody have any experience or knowlage they can share. any DSL people have success with these things? 

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

African internet user approves VOIP software usage.

The PC community is the red headed step child Reloaded never wanted but got saddled with when they married the PC community's mother.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shoutout to mah real Africans out there.

DonCornelius

DonCornelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

it works for you ok? cool i will try it out. now i need to figure out if my friends use it and what program(s).

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

*cough*

• HepTagoN likes this

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

I'm on DSL, and TS causes a few problems for me in-game because my upload bandwidth is usually like 0.1 Mbps due to bad infrastructure. You're probably fine. 

d1eZeG3.png

MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

use gaming voip like ventrilo etc that use low latency coms for that lil boost but as long as you are not reaching max bandwidth down or up your ok, try network monitoring tools and find out your isps stats to compare, and as a btw, should you max cpu regularly in some game, voip + windows system backend parts can cause stutter least did for me so change voip cpu priority lower than game, and change games lower than the system and it will run happier but as long as your not maxing anything itl be good also you might consider using ProcessMonitor to see if your OS is having issues with any registry entry or whatever as i discovered spamming and bogging my pc before, and my moms i discovered spam from the system constantly checking for folders that dont exist AND found her system being spammed with errors because her audio driver needed to be upgraded (this faulty driver/hardware directly harms DPC latency slowing all input and output you dont want any faulty devices

i used to game on residential dsl not their best either, but 75% of their packages it let me download files at 350 killobytes per sec and upload mabey half or 3 times less and i had no issues in any game even battlefield/everquest the latency was what made me love my dsl then as my neighbor had roadrunner cable and though he could download way more than me my latency was rock solid while he stuttered occasionaly and the random disconnects while i can hold a line open days without any drop so dsl is fine with me least mine was 

DonCornelius

DonCornelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

I'm on DSL, and TS causes a few problems for me in-game because my upload bandwidth is usually like 0.1 Mbps due to bad infrastructure. You're probably fine. 

yeah my upload is 1/10th of my download speed thats why i have doubts about using up bandwith. i think upload is 15kbs. i forget, i just remember thinking wow thats wicked slow. it takes forever to put pictures on my email. video uploads? fugeddaboudit!

DonCornelius

DonCornelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

let me get you a lozenge, and thanks for the link! 

DonCornelius

DonCornelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

use gaming voip like ventrilo etc that use low latency coms for that lil boost but as long as you are not reaching max bandwidth down or up your ok, try network monitoring tools and find out your isps stats to compare, and as a btw, should you max cpu regularly in some game, voip + windows system backend parts can cause stutter least did for me so change voip cpu priority lower than game, and change games lower than the system and it will run happier but as long as your not maxing anything itl be good also you might consider using ProcessMonitor to see if your OS is having issues with any registry entry or whatever as i discovered spamming and bogging my pc before, and my moms i discovered spam from the system constantly checking for folders that dont exist AND found her system being spammed with errors because her audio driver needed to be upgraded (this faulty driver/hardware directly harms DPC latency slowing all input and output you dont want any faulty devices

i used to game on residential dsl not their best either, but 75% of their packages it let me download files at 350 killobytes per sec and upload mabey half or 3 times less and i had no issues in any game even battlefield/everquest the latency was what made me love my dsl then as my neighbor had roadrunner cable and though he could download way more than me my latency was rock solid while he stuttered occasionaly and the random disconnects while i can hold a line open days without any drop so dsl is fine with me least mine was 

a lot of this i dont really understand but my computer is plenty good (i think) the bottleneck is my upload speed. but i will never know till i try. i wonder if i dont use a mike and only listen to the others if that is a work around. i can communicate most everything i need to SAY with the "enemy sighted" and "help requested" buttons.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chat, communication

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users