• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Alright, it has taken me over 2 years to just put my pride aside long enough to ask for help. Most of you probably look at my posts as mostly lack-luster or simply bad, which I agree on. However now I would like some time of your day, if you can deposit some that is.

Before we begin I just want to warn people here. I got an extreme low tolerance for my own failures and dislike losing in any shape or form in any kind of situation. I will try to blame other or objects for what are my own problems most likely. I will actively try to defend my views even if they are about how bad I am and why I am bad. I am way too prideful for my own good and I don't like asking for help, at least when I know in theory I can fix the problem myself. I am not able to look at anything including me with gameplay or such, because the incompetence I feel when I see his I play after having been here over 2 years, disgust me. I swear a whole lot and in general just am bad-mouthed.

Now why would I ask for help after all this time? Because I'm lonely.

I want to be able to play a game with friends without feeling I feed and do not deliver a slight form of challenge at all. I want to be able to play a game most of my friends play and enjoy the game, and not get bloody tourettes when I die to the same person again, and again, and again.

I am generally not easy to learn things since if I got to practice it I most likely skip it because in other settings I have never really ever had to practice much for doing above the average. I take long time to realise problems and find an easy practical solution, however I may have a solution that maybe isn't the most efficient. I like to show what I can, but will feel bad when I must showcase things I know I am bad at.

This was written on mobile and I'll probably regret this tomorrow, but I felt that if I want to enjoy a game with friends, I gotta try and grab myself by the balls for once. I am do bad reading long walls of text since I fall out instantly almost, and I generally got problem learning if only shown the theory. Also because certain dislikes towards the community I may simply have problem with people in general, however I can generalise more than I wish I did. There is a very vocal minority I dislike, but from past grudges I may let that go out on people even when they try to be helpful.

I should also learn to shut up.

Progress

Day 1

So what have we done today: 

• Focused training on aim, felt it went alright and much better since I was calmer.
  • Practised going in with TOW instead of POW (secondary first).
  • Tried to keep in mind to not boost from corners I suspected enemies around, however forgot this a little.
  • Had close duels with Neon, at least felt so.
  • Did not leave after one bad match.
  • Had rounds where I died I either didn`t die or only once/twice.

Bad things:

• Yet to record.
  • Still only Assault.
  • Reaction time and general quickness is way too slow.
  • Not aggressive enough, not efficient enough to go killy on the opponent.

Overall, could have been a lot worse.

Edited by Sir Aregon, 13 October 2015 - 09:47 AM.

• Nept, Miscellaneous, SparkyJJC and 12 others like this

CRITICAL ASSIST

United in Diversity, Divided by Zero
v9KKbH9.png
Spoiler

-Tj-

-Tj-

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Just looking for a little clarification, are you looking for gameplay advice, like to improve your performance in-game? Little confused as to what you're ultimately asking for (serious question, not trying to be snarky or anything).

Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Just looking for a little clarification, are you looking for gameplay advice, like to improve your performance in-game? Little confused as to what you're ultimately asking for (serious question, not trying to be snarky or anything).

Yes it's game advice and that, I just felt for explaining maybe why I didn't ask before and that I am not an easy learner.

It's also :40 here and I should be up in 6 hours but now we're here.

CRITICAL ASSIST

v9KKbH9.png
Spoiler

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

This sounds familiar.

Watch that now and then again when you wake up. We'll talk afterwards.

• Aregon, _incitatus and Neraste like this

Pleasure_Mortar

Pleasure_Mortar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

I can relate to some of the things you said quite well.

Had some really sucky time in the past as well  where I'd go ballistic if something did work out the way I wanted it to be and alienated a lot of people.

I was notorious for my rants. I was really cought up in perfectionism.

Even today I still absolutely hate it when I have to pretend I'm good at something and I know I'm not. I grew up in a family where keeping up appearances was everything.

I don't know your MMR but there's some really good advide in the skillwall thread. HTH

• Badtings likes this

SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

...it's game advice...

So, like, a game recommendation, or tips and tricks on an existing game? Should I be telling you to try Team Fortress 2, or telling you that the Aor 180 is the most powerful internal in the game thanks to the new "feature" nepa found?
  • Badtings likes this

cUB1aCW.jpg?2

Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

So, like, a game recommendation, or tips and tricks on an existing game? Should I be telling you to try Team Fortress 2, or telling you that the Aor 180 is the most powerful internal in the game thanks to the new "feature" nepa found?

Hawken in general.

And recommending games for me is pretty bollocks as I am cheap and I'm currently waiting on Eternal Crusade, which sounds and looks very promising from what I've heard and read. Can be a great possibility to let mainstream media get to experience the silliness that is the grim darkness of the far future. /offtopic
  • claisolais likes this

CRITICAL ASSIST

v9KKbH9.png
Spoiler

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

I think that many of us get into a mood (some more often than others) where we get fired up an make more mistakes.

As much as learning what actual mistake got you killed, I think we need to look for ways to identify when they are all just a symptom of being aggravated to the detriment of performance/awareness.

Some high level players try to create this in their opponents. If we can see it happening then we can take a breath, change our play style and get back to helping the team instead of feeding.

Cheers,

6ixxer

Ragers Anon (junior member)

• Aregon likes this

Shoutaxeror

Shoutaxeror

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Hey! We were in the same game tonight. Unless you have some other accounts, it was the first time I saw you in public match, for what I can recall. But hey, I will gladly fight with/against you anytime we can! We can also do some stuff in fightclub or stuff like that.

But hey keep it up.

• Aregon likes this

KkaQ7HY.png

SaYxVQp.pngWgWPdMp.png

KDR Veteran | PrT Participant

contact.KOBALT@gmail.com

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Before we begin I just want to warn people here. I got an extreme low tolerance for my own failures and dislike losing in any shape or form in any kind of situation. I will try to blame other or objects for what are my own problems most likely.

It's the highlighted section that presents the biggest barrier to improvement.  First person you should blame for failures - especially if we're talking about video game skills - is yourself.  Not in an emo/I'm-so-terrible way, of course, but in a fashion that promotes self-analysis and improvement.  When you engage ego-protection mode, you preempt meaningful analysis.

One element that's often overlooked within Hawken's community is mechanical/mousing/aiming skill.  It's de-emphasized because we've access to remote detonation and near-omniscient radar; at high levels, though, these mechanical skills make all the difference.  Positioning and radar awareness are important, yes, but the biggest disparity between high-tier and mid-tier players (and even amongst many high-tier players) is aim.  If you can aim more quickly and more accurately than your opponent, if you can hit them regardless of their evasive movement, you'll have a massive advantage.  That's the reason that Omni emphasizes these abilities before anything else.

My suggestion would be to prioritize these mechanical skills before delving into positioning and "tactical" details.  And one of the best ways to practice is to grab a partner and have them dodge around as you strike them.  Don't worry about dueling just yet.  Instead, focus on striking your target as often and as accurately as possible.  As your mechanical skills improve, you'll notice a) that the game feels less hectic, and b) that new shooting opportunities arise during normal engagements.

Looks like this:

• Aregon, Miscellaneous, Odinous and 4 others like this

PsychedelicGrass

PsychedelicGrass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
Add me ingame if you haven't already, I'll be your friend I love everyone <3

I can take you in a private server for some duels and tips too :3
  • Aregon likes this

What's the big fuzzy bunnyng deal? Lots of amazing people have committed suicide, and they turned out alright.

Dedhed

Dedhed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Similar to what Nept said, I've found that admitting my own wrongs and recognizing when I'm engaging in something that will lead to nothing other than frustration helps immensely in the attitude/emotional well being area. Literally telling yourself "It's not a big deal, it's ok" rather than actively engaging in aggravating thoughts can help tremendously.

• Aregon likes this

"One day I will leave this world and dream myself to reality" -- Chief Crazy Horse

"Love is the Law, Love under Will" -- Aleister Crowley

"This is like talking to breakfast cereal" -- Otherland

devotion

devotion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

post clips of yourself playing

• comic_sans likes this

comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Killing your ego is the first step toward not having it wounded by loss.  Good luck, duder.

• Aregon, Miscellaneous, Odinous and 4 others like this

100% Hamburger | #becomeinpopcorn

AOTbYIL.png

Dedhed

Dedhed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Thanks to PsychedelicGrass for the idea, didn't occur to me--> Add me in game as well if you'd like, same name as on here.

• Aregon likes this

"One day I will leave this world and dream myself to reality" -- Chief Crazy Horse

"Love is the Law, Love under Will" -- Aleister Crowley

"This is like talking to breakfast cereal" -- Otherland

PsychedelicGrass

PsychedelicGrass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
Nobody ever actually adds/plays with me when I offer

I have no friends :c
  • phed, coldform and Nept like this

What's the big fuzzy bunnyng deal? Lots of amazing people have committed suicide, and they turned out alright.

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Nept likes this.

Badtings

Badtings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

What's the "new "feature""?

8CyRDl7.gifGYM1W9I.png

JackVandal

JackVandal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

What's the "new "feature""?

air 180 uses no fuel, so you can float forever with spamming it

"but the dead horse has been beaten so many times it's practically a pulpy mess in the barn by now."

-M1lkshake

Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Well this thread went better than expected.

Edited by Sir Aregon, 12 October 2015 - 09:04 PM.

• Rainbow_Sheep and thedark20 like this

CRITICAL ASSIST

v9KKbH9.png
Spoiler

cbrxx

cbrxx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

THIS BUG.  Nepa posted.  Is worthless.  Instant in air 180 equals dead in air mech. 

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

I say maybe try setting these different simple goals and don't thinking about the score. Let's say have a goal not to die the whole game.. even if your team looses if you achieve that you win :) Or try not to yolo dive the whole game or try to help and support other players the whole game or choose one player and follow him around the whole game and try to help him. Practice smaller aspects of the game that way.

• Aregon likes this

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

But changing your own character traits is the hardest part. Could use advice on that one myself   :ninja:

• Houruck and Kopra like this

Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

I can relate to some of the things you said quite well.

Had some really sucky time in the past as well  where I'd go ballistic if something did work out the way I wanted it to be and alienated a lot of people.

I was notorious for my rants. I was really cought up in perfectionism.

Even today I still absolutely hate it when I have to pretend I'm good at something and I know I'm not. I grew up in a family where keeping up appearances was everything.

I don't know your MMR but there's some really good advide in the skillwall thread. HTH

While I like most of what stands in that thread, I got problems with simply being told how to do things instead of not shown. Ironic since as a person I am very theoretical.

CRITICAL ASSIST

v9KKbH9.png
Spoiler

n3onfx

n3onfx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Ask your CA teamates! Since it's less laggy for me lately I'll be playing more and Disorderly plays every once in a while as well, just hit us both up when we're ingame since the whole TS and stuff is already set up and I'll help you, I'm sure Disordely will do the same. There's actually a ton of little things to learn/realize that can help anyone play better.

Plus you'll get to hear my sexy french accent.

• Aregon and Houruck like this

t

t

DWEH3ZP.png   CRITICAL  RqKpxHn.png    ASSIST   VDNrFxD.png

t

t

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

Cmon now. You know better than that. :)

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

SuupaaFly

SuupaaFly

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Work until your Idols become Rivals

• LaurenEmily likes this

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

Make a smurf account and ask the newbs to teach you. :,D

Jokes aside, the best way is doing it the hard way (in my opinion). Join the uber high MMR matches, get rekt and learn by your mistakes. I also like to blame others or other things but somehow you see some enlighting moments like "Uuuuhhh, you can dodge using shift+a/d!"

That moment every proper Hawken palyer had when they started playing Hawken (If you haven't experienced this moment yet, I have bad news for you ... ).

One more advice is deathmatch (1v1 fightclubs). That's my favourite for learning how to play in basically any competetive mode/game. Team Death Match is for the ones who want to get carried and/or relax. Deathmatch will only put you and your opponent in an arena. Not that it shows who is the better one, but because if you lose, it is most likely your own fault (apart from bugs and the like).

To conclude:

- Join high MMR matches

- Play 1v1s (also try palying solo in team modes)

GL HF :)

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Make a smurf account and ask the newbs to teach you. :,D

Jokes aside, the best way is doing it the hard way (in my opinion). Join the uber high MMR matches, get rekt and learn by your mistakes. I also like to blame others or other things but somehow you see some enlighting moments like "Uuuuhhh, you can dodge using shift+a/d!"

That moment every proper Hawken palyer had when they started playing Hawken (If you haven't experienced this moment yet, I have bad news for you ... ).

One more advice is deathmatch (1v1 fightclubs). That's my favourite for learning how to play in basically any competetive mode/game. Team Death Match is for the ones who want to get carried and/or relax. Deathmatch will only put you and your opponent in an arena. Not that it shows who is the better one, but because if you lose, it is most likely your own fault (apart from bugs and the like).

To conclude:

- Join high MMR matches

GL HF :)

We have talked about this, it got written a fan fiction about why I disagree with you. I don`t need to do it again.

CRITICAL ASSIST

v9KKbH9.png
Spoiler

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

We have talked about this, it got written a fan fiction about why I disagree with you. I don`t need to do it again.

Well then remain in your low MMR matches. Not my choice. No pain no gain. 

Just tried to help. :)

thedark20

thedark20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

I'm up for playing when i can or feel like. Add me if you want to Steam or Hawken.

Regarding the thread topic here, i think there isn't much things to say aside from what people told you. The most important thing i think is you must have fun in order to play properly. If you don't have fun just stop playing, cool down a few minutes and come again or change games.

Steel

Steel everywhere~

Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

So what have we done today: 

• Focused training on aim, felt it went alright and much better since I was calmer.
  • Practised going in with TOW instead of POW (secondary first).
  • Tried to keep in mind to not boost from corners I suspected enemies around, however forgot this a little.
  • Had close duels with Neon, at least felt so.
  • Did not leave after one bad match.
  • Had rounds where I died I either didn`t die or only once/twice.

Bad things:

• Yet to record.
  • Still only Assault.
  • Not aggressive enough, not efficient enough to go killy on the opponent.

Edited by Sir Aregon, 13 October 2015 - 09:46 AM.

• Nept, -Tj-, LaurenEmily and 3 others like this

CRITICAL ASSIST

v9KKbH9.png
Spoiler

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Bad things:

Those are things that will improve with practice, time, and concentration.  Reaction time is also far less affected by age than people assume.

• Aregon and _incitatus like this

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Those are things that will improve with practice, time, and concentration.  Reaction time is also far less affected by age than people assume.

and in hawken it's a bit less important while there is a turn rate cap. Prediction might be even more important even for hitscan weapons.

• Kopra likes this

Houruck

Houruck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Oh hell no!

I can not tell when can I make it this week, but we should do some training like we used to do.

Knight of the Holy Tree

CRITICAL ASSIST

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

predators gonna predate

spr1nterJam

spr1nterJam

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

tl;dr

it it COOL STORY ?

n3onfx

n3onfx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

tl;dr

it it COOL STORY ?

tl;dr

should should YOU CARE ?

t

t

DWEH3ZP.png   CRITICAL  RqKpxHn.png    ASSIST   VDNrFxD.png

t

t

spr1nterJam

spr1nterJam

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

should should be be in in spam spam

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

Oh hell no!

I can not tell when can I make it this week, but we should do some training like we used to do.

Btw, didn't you want to host a fightclub some months ago? .-.

Houruck

Houruck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Btw, didn't you want to host a fightclub some months ago? .-.

Yes, I wanted to. I even worked on some additional stuff for it but since there was almost no interest I pushed it aside.

I do not want to quote that notorious "worth the wait" gif, I am not even sure I will do it.

Knight of the Holy Tree

CRITICAL ASSIST

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

predators gonna predate

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Help, game, wooords, I should sleep more

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users