• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

This topic was prompted by Merl and I having a hearty discussion about aviation after some 1v1's. Anyway, I'm sure we aren't the only ones in the community with a boner for cool airplanes, so let's discuss!

Some highlights of our discussion: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

But yeah planes are cool

Edited by (TDM)crockrocket, 20 October 2015 - 08:05 AM.

• dorobo, Dr_Freeze001, HorseHeadProphet and 3 others like this

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Right, time for a little quiz. Can any of you tell me what this myah is?

Spoiler

Bonus:

Spoiler

Planes are cool.

Edited by (KDR) Dr_Freeze001, 20 October 2015 - 02:17 AM.

KkaQ7HY.png

hsabot4.png  jaDBqOD.png  JsRCQoO.png  4XXKL4C.png

KDR Clan Leader | UVW Host |  KOBALT Leader

contact.KOBALT@gmail.com

hoghead

hoghead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

boeing-737s-in-montana-river.png?w=600oops! Now these have been turned into razor blades . :yes:

aaaa-725727.jpg

Edited by hoghead, 20 October 2015 - 02:47 AM.

n3onfx

n3onfx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Right, time for a little quiz. Can any of you tell me what this myah is?

Spoiler

Bonus:

Spoiler

Planes are cool.

First one is an Ekranoplan, these things are sick. Technically not even a plane and needed a whole new category to classify it.

• HorseHeadProphet and comic_sans like this

t

t

DWEH3ZP.png   CRITICAL  RqKpxHn.png    ASSIST   VDNrFxD.png

t

t

HHJFTRU

HHJFTRU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

First: Soviet MD-160 'Lun'  a.k.a 'Duck' . This thing doesn't fly (or whatever) anymore.

Edited by someone, 20 October 2015 - 03:09 AM.

Ceterum censeo ... bootcamp-servers!  &:

#rapidMMR4newaccounts      #removethedelay

#morespeed4EOC                 #lessspread4T-32

#buffG2R                               #nerfZerk'n'Assault

#dosomethingwithHF             #noisesupression4breacher

THANKS FOR THIS AWESOME GAME!

Bergwein

Bergwein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Planes are cool.

Spoiler

• crockrocket, Miscellaneous and Knowledge70 like this

comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

The plane that looks like it is perpetually from the future:

Spoiler

Ughgghg Lockheed Martin did so much cool shiiiiiiiiit

Also, Lifting Bodies.  Nifty little things I'd be waaaay too scared to ever dream of flying.

Spoiler

Edited by cringe_smells, 20 October 2015 - 03:52 AM.

• JeffMagnum and OdinTheWise like this

100% Hamburger | #becomeinpopcorn

AOTbYIL.png

HHJFTRU

HHJFTRU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

More Antonovs (there's an AN-225 in OP)

Spoiler

Edited by someone, 20 October 2015 - 04:41 AM.

• comic_sans likes this

Ceterum censeo ... bootcamp-servers!  &:

#rapidMMR4newaccounts      #removethedelay

#morespeed4EOC                 #lessspread4T-32

#buffG2R                               #nerfZerk'n'Assault

#dosomethingwithHF             #noisesupression4breacher

THANKS FOR THIS AWESOME GAME!

Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

1280px-A-10_Thunderbolt_II_In-flight-2.j

The A-10 Thunderbolt is my spirit animal.

• HorseHeadProphet, EM1O, schwanzlurch and 1 other like this

CRITICAL ASSIST

United in Diversity, Divided by Zero
v9KKbH9.png
Spoiler

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Oh man, airplanes. I love me some airplanes. I was Executive Director of a Jet Airplane Museum Association at one point (translated to Funding Manager).

We had a small fleet of CF-100s which were under restoration, with two or three flyable while I was there. I was also tasked with figuring out funding for getting a de Havilland Vampire. Jesus, what a hideous, beautiful plane. We were in talks to trade our non-restored CF-100s for 4 F-86s from a German museum, but I left before we could figure out the goddamn shipping issues.

It boggled my mind that you could get 1st and 2nd generation jet fighters for basically the cost of a good sportscar. It's the restoration costs that kill you. If you just want a fancy lawn ornament, you could get F-86s for like $70-$90k since there are literally fields of the damn things, but to get them air-worthy and flight-certified would cost you between another $150-$250k depending on your mechanical capabilities. We traded so much in terms of parts and relied on a lot of volunteer labour from retired RCAF personnel. Hell, one skydiving enthusiast got us a full set of ejector-seat parachutes some bloody how.

For a while there was a deH Vampire at near-restored for like $120,000 that was a constant, physical struggle to avoid bidding on, personally and professionally. The lack of/need to restore existing electronics killed it though. The tail end of 2nd-gen and 3rd gen fighters are out of most private owners reach for the same reason: the more electronics and hydraulics you need to maintain, the more your costs skyrocket. At that point you're better off just buying a new BAE T-1 Hawk. The costs over its lifetime will be less, even if you're shelling out $25m out the gate.

If I ever make it big, I am probably going to get an F-86 or Gloster Meteor and get it restored on a lend agreement.

• crockrocket, JeffMagnum and comic_sans like this

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

The Concorde. Never had a chance to fly with it. 

We will remember you QQ

ConcordeInFlightBA_P2_0.jpg

• HorseHeadProphet likes this

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

It doesn't need to have an engine.

• crockrocket and ticklemyiguana like this

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

DeeRax

DeeRax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

id_fighters_p61_05_700.jpg

137057029384.jpg

P-61 Black Widow.
First night fighter, and first aircraft specifically designed to use radar.

"On the night of 14 August 1945, a P-61B of the 548th Night Fight Squadron named "Lady in the Dark" was unofficially credited with the last Allied air victory before VJ Day." (thnx wikipedia)

Planes are cool.
(I like greasy, loud, old-timey planes)

Edited by (TDM) DeeRax, 20 October 2015 - 07:46 AM.

starfox-sig.gifrYFaSGG.gif

2XhpJes.png

"DeeRax's got what you've always wanted."

HorseHeadProphet

HorseHeadProphet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Cool thread! Is there room for choppers too? The Hind makes room!

2aa75854d072ea45d66fbb2e38ab291c.jpg

wolverines!

Someone told me the other day, Branson was trying to buy a Concorde, and intended to put it in service and make it profitable. British Airways was trying to stop him, because it would make them look bad when and if he succeeded in doing so.

The Ekranoplane is super cool! Ground effect ftw. When the Generals showed Khruschev the film reel of its development however, he fell asleep then woke up asking when lunch was.

SR-71 is an amazing work of art, a real masterpiece of precision engineering. So many amazing facts and stories about that plane.For example, how it always bleeds fuel on the ground because of the way the frame changes shape in flight.

Also this one:

u2-2.jpg

There's a great documentary about the U2 where they basically fly a passenger to the edge of space and back down.

• JeffMagnum and comic_sans like this

The Hawken forum's a forum, but it's like the only one you get yelled at for using.

PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

My friend and his father have an amphibious plane.  Its awesome because you can fly it anywhere and don't need airports for landing.  We flew up the the UP for camping and just plopped it in a lake and rented bikes for a day.  

It took a 5.5 hour car ride down to a 3.5 hour plane flight.  It runs off of non-ethanol 91 car gas (mogas).  It can drive around like a boat on a lake.

BjcECpU.jpg

• HorseHeadProphet, comic_sans and DeeRax like this

khn3gAi.jpg?1CitkI9t.jpgGkp2fB7.jpg

Come on Crafty, you have been officially called out on your lies. Your online reputation is at stake here, this is just like an old school street race running for pink slips. Its run what you brung and hope its enough. Put up or shut the fuzzy bunny up.

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

fuzzy bunny you and your fixed wing aircraft, i give you the mighty mil mi-26.

08d8f36fe93d.jpg

also have a v-22 ospray because tilt rotors 

V-22s_at_Amman.jpg

• HorseHeadProphet, comic_sans and 6ixxer like this

We Can Dance If We Want To     

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

SR-71 is an amazing work of art, a real masterpiece of precision engineering. So many amazing facts and stories about that plane.For example, how it always bleeds fuel on the ground because of the way the frame changes shape in flight.

My favorite SR71 thing is this: http://oppositelock....tory-1079127041

Also, amid, if you get a gloster meteor, you will just blast ass all over every single classic car person in the world, and I endorse this dream.

• JeffMagnum and ticklemyiguana like this

AOTbYIL.png

DeeRax

DeeRax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

As far as choppers go, my grandpappy flew Hueys during the entirety of Vietnam.

My dad, on the other hand, didn't pilot any planes or copters, but he jumped out of a large number of both (82nd Airborne Ranger).

I, myself, have had pie-in-the-sky ideas of flying commercial helicopters. Maybe I'll actually get on that one day... In my blood n' all.

Edited by (TDM) DeeRax, 20 October 2015 - 11:52 AM.

• comic_sans likes this

2XhpJes.png

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

• comic_sans and DeeRax like this

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

DeeRax

DeeRax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

fuzzy bunnyng exactly.

My family history is drenched in American imperialism and military adventurism. :confused:

Me? I was soooooooooooooooooooo close to joining the U.S. Airforce in my late teens.

I went to art school instead, lmfao.
Prolly a good thing in the long run. My tall height and shitty vision, I prolly wouldn't have been able to fly anything anyways.

Edited by (TDM) DeeRax, 20 October 2015 - 12:12 PM.

• Bergwein likes this

2XhpJes.png

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

1280px-A-10_Thunderbolt_II_In-flight-2.j

13 or so years ago as a Little League baseball player, I had a coach for a few seasons who was a lieutenant colonel and flew one of those. One day he took the team up to Whiteman AFB (also the only place where B-2 stealth bombers are permanently stationed) and let us get inside his plane and look at its rotary cannon while passing around a dummy 30 mm round--as cool as it is to read about all that online, nothing really compares to holding a cartridge as big as your entire forearm and seeing what fires it at almost 4000 RPM in person. We also got to hop in an Apache helicopter and fuzzy bunny around on the training sim they used for various aircraft, but probably due to security reasons, we weren't able to see the B-2s. It was still a really memorable experience as a kid though and it's fun to think back on.

I used to watch B-2s fly overhead every so often when I was in class at my elementary school, but I can't recall the last time I saw one in the air. They were incredibly black and flat against the sky like nothing else I've ever seen to the point of almost looking fake--spooky is probably the best word I can use to describe them in flight. Knowing the huge nuclear payloads they're capable of carrying makes them even more impressive and intimidating in hindsight.

Compared to normal fighter jets:

Valiant_Shield_-_B2_Stealth_bomber_from_

Edited by JeffMagnum, 20 October 2015 - 05:18 PM.

• Aregon, comic_sans and DeeRax like this

d1eZeG3.png

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

those a-10s fly over my house at low altitude (tree top level) every now and then. my house must be along one of their flight paths lol. fuzzy bunnyers are noisy   

Edited by OdinTheWise, 20 October 2015 - 12:06 PM.

• schwanzlurch likes this

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

DeeRax

DeeRax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Chuck Yeager was a badass, BTWs.

• comic_sans likes this

2XhpJes.png

PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

those a-10s fly over my house at low altitude (tree top level) every now and then. my house must be along one of their flight paths lol. fuzzy bunnyers are noisy   

From Selfridge ANGB?  They fly A-10s constantly out of there.

khn3gAi.jpg?1CitkI9t.jpgGkp2fB7.jpg

Come on Crafty, you have been officially called out on your lies. Your online reputation is at stake here, this is just like an old school street race running for pink slips. Its run what you brung and hope its enough. Put up or shut the fuzzy bunny up.

schwanzlurch

schwanzlurch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

i second this! living nearby a base, the A-10 'driving school' is around occasionally; there seems to be a roundabout directly over my garden. ^^

BkIvUun.gif

~  schwanzlurch est UrODelA is the SalamandeR ist der  ~

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
I hate flying, planes are scary.
  • Aregon and DeeRax like this

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

KOS_Baconman

KOS_Baconman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

This one is pretty sweet:

What if we just give some bacon paint, some bacon holo-emotes and change Bunker from snow to bacon.

This way, everyone will be happy.

What you should really do, is replace your parts with bacon, so you can cook games and eat bacon

Obviously the wallpaper would be cooler if bacon was incorporated into it.

comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Chuck Yeager was a badass, BTWs.

I read a book about him for a biography I had to do for school in 4th or 5th grade.  Apparently his wife invented the colored condom!

• DeeRax likes this

AOTbYIL.png

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

My favorite SR71 thing is this: http://oppositelock....tory-1079127041

Also, amid, if you get a gloster meteor, you will just blast ass all over every single classic car person in the world, and I endorse this dream.

If you haven't read this, this is a funny story. Take a few minutes.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

Bergwein

Bergwein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

I hate flying, planes are scary.

This is why you play Predator.

• comic_sans and LaurenEmily like this

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

From Selfridge ANGB?  They fly A-10s constantly out of there.

yes, i live a few hundred miles from the base, so they dont come by too often, but when they do holy fuzzy bunny. it is always tree top level. they have been trying to close that base for years.

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

SS396

SS396

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Just a little correction, technically its a Thunderbolt II. The Thunderbolt is a P-47 (aka the Jug) that was also used for close air support in WWII to which the A-10 was named to pay homage.
https://en.wikipedia...-47_Thunderbolt

We also got to hop in an Apache helicopter and fuzzy bunny around on the training sim they used for various aircraft, but probably due to security reasons, we weren't able to see the B-2s.

And I'm sorry Jeff, but the B-2 is nothing compared to a B-52, its cool and all, but the BUFF can hold way more. Theres a common saying that when they park the last of the B-1s and B-2s in AMARC (desert long term storage), the pilots will all get into a B-52 and fly home.

Also, was that the AVCATT simulator by L3? I got to fly in it once when it was parked down in near Pima Air and Space museum at the National Guard base.

Spoiler

[DELETED]

fuzzy bunny you CZeroFive 

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

And I'm sorry Jeff, but the B-2 is nothing compared to a B-52, its cool and all, but the BUFF can hold way more. Theres a common saying that when they park the last of the B-1s and B-2s in AMARC (desert long term storage), the pilots will all get into a B-52 and fly home.
Also, was that the AVCATT simulator by L3? I got to fly in it once when it was parked down in near Pima Air and Space museum at the National Guard base.

Spoiler

I mean regardless of their actual usefulness compared to older-gen bombers, they're crazy to see in person. They looked futuristic and majorly imposing when I saw them out on the strip from a distance during the tour, and the extremely dark and oddly-shaped flying wing silhouette was always creepy to see in the air especially since they had no visible exhaust or contrails and were very quiet for their size. I don't think I have a favorite aircraft or anything, but B-2s are something unusual that I've seen irl on a lot of occasions due to being fairly close to Whiteman.

Like this but blacker in person and higher up

And yeah, I'm pretty sure it was since that looks familiar, but it was so long ago that I could be wrong.

Edited by JeffMagnum, 21 October 2015 - 02:17 AM.

d1eZeG3.png

SS396

SS396

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

And yeah, I'm pretty sure it was since that looks familiar, but it was so long ago that I could be wrong.

Well, if it was packaged in that two semi truck trailer setup as a mobile system, then that was it.  I don't know of any others that were created by the big simulator companies like it.  

You would of flipped out if you saw all the workstations stacked up in the cabinets behind the pilots in each cockpit module.  The way the gauge displays worked by mirrors and projectors was simply amazing.

Yeah, a B-2 does look pretty ominous but so does a B-52 when its heading right for you.

**RIP headphone users**

Spoiler

That sound will always bring back memories.  I'll always remember on the really really foggy days hearing them start up sorties in the mornings.  When the base closed down it was easily noticed that the sounds you were used too weren't there anymore.

[DELETED]

fuzzy bunny you CZeroFive 

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

so.... when i was a wee lad, my family was on vacation out west and we hear a jet coming. this was no ordinary jet aircraft, it a B-1b. it was not doing an ordinary flight either. it was doing one of those ultra low altitude flights and they were following the road. as it was flying over us it kicked the afterburners and went full throttle. 

the b-1b is my favorite bomber. so sexy 

• DeeRax likes this

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

phed

phed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

cool thread.

i fixed tv's for war back when i was in the navy

4734111607_01174008f1_b.jpg

cockpit of an f14a tomcat.  the top display is the vdig indicator (also houses the hud) below that is the pmdig indicator.  spent so much time fixing those pieces of junk...  it's not easy keeping a 30 year old hot rod in the air.  

edited for fuzzy bunny pit

Edited by phed, 25 October 2015 - 05:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users