43 replies to this topic

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted.

Edited by KilleR_OrigiNs, 30 April 2015 - 10:15 PM.

• VYR3 likes this

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Not... really sure where you're coming from, mate.

exJDGK2.jpg

Looks pretty gritty to me.

iG1aBS2.jpg

Pretty frickin gritty.

l7ZjT60.jpg

Hell, even the pink looks worn by war.

7MNOL24.jpg

I mean, there's dust and crap friggin everywhere. The people have to wear rebreathers inside.

C4Jj8BP.jpg

Yeah not gonna lie this was just an excuse to post mech pictures.

• Dr_Freeze001, CrimsonKaim and Hijinks_The_Turtle like this

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted.

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

I still don't really get what he is talking about. But I like the paintjobs on these Assaults.

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted.

• Miscellaneous, SparkyJJC, MaNia_C and 1 other like this

AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Grit is the carnal knowledge of survival after you've lost everything, it's the demand for life when you don't deserve it, and the promise of revenge in the darkest moment of someone's minuscule life.

Intangible descriptions like this are a graphic designer's nightmare.

Edited by AsianJoyKiller, 28 March 2015 - 12:45 AM.

• Lucier and Brawler_Yukon like this

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted. 

• SparkyJJC likes this

MaNia_C

MaNia_C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

He want's a more negative image and surroundings.A more visual form of the feelings of apathy, depression and abandonment. He feels polar opposites between the story line which he feels should be more in the ambiance of per say Metro 2033, and some part's of the visual identity that now exist in Hawken. He just formulated explanations like feeling's, and wasn't dead on the money with the whole Cyber-Edgar Allan Poe thingy...

...but i get what he's sayin

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

...and let slip the dogs of war...

Twitter%201.jpg?psid=1Steam%202.jpg?psid=1Tube%203.jpg?psid=1Hawken%204.jpg?psid=1Twitch%205.jpg?psid=1

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted. 

MaNia_C

MaNia_C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

;) No probs

Edited by MaNia_C, 28 March 2015 - 01:22 AM.

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

...and let slip the dogs of war...

Twitter%201.jpg?psid=1Steam%202.jpg?psid=1Tube%203.jpg?psid=1Hawken%204.jpg?psid=1Twitch%205.jpg?psid=1

AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Oh. I totally understood what he meant. After all, I've had to make illustrations for people who's idea of a descriptions are along the lines of "It needs to look... cooler."

It's just, I saw that one line and couldn't help but think it looks like something you'd see on http://clientsfromhell.net/

• Lucier and Hijinks_The_Turtle like this

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted.

Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

I just like the fact that people are boosting around in bright pink mechs, killing each other. It's like some twisted denial of the situation they're in.

KkaQ7HY.png

hsabot4.png  jaDBqOD.png  JsRCQoO.png  4XXKL4C.png

KDR Clan Leader | UVW Host |  KOBALT Leader

[email protected]

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Hawken has grit, it's all just squeezed in one small spot called Uptown.

That map is so ugly & depressing in terms of atmosphere that it makes it easy to deal with all the happy places that come afterwards.

Also i don't think the mechs look 'too happy' to fit in (exclude the pink-heart painted ones) They look something like world war 2 with robots, and i love it.

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Yeah the kisses and heart skins don't match the environment.  However, everything else seems to fit pretty well imo.  Come on pal, why do you torture us with paragraphs of description but never tell us what you want!  Get practicing on narrowing that down.  :tongue:

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, 28 March 2015 - 05:45 AM.

Interrobang87

Interrobang87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
All he wants is a couple cockpit decorations, which he said a few times, like an old generic half ripped/burned family photo or some shell casings with stuff scratched onto them. He wants some extra flavor stuff to help him feel like the game world matters.

Addressing the cute and happy stuff, have you ever seen tank girl? Not exactly a classic but it enforces my point that when things get really really bad people tend to develop a morbid sense of humor to help them cope with the fuzzy bunny storm around them i.e. pink paint, animal halos, painting faces on mechs. You naturally do something to lighten the mood or you'd be too depressed to function. I think it fits just fine.

Tankman95

Tankman95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Addressing the cute and happy stuff, have you ever seen tank girl? Not exactly a classic but it enforces my point that when things get really really bad people tend to develop a morbid sense of humor to help them cope with the fuzzy bunny storm around them i.e. pink paint, animal halos, painting faces on mechs. You naturally do something to lighten the mood or you'd be too depressed to function. I think it fits just fine.

Mad Max or Borderlands are another examples of this. Basicly "if the world ends, then with a bang" or short: sad/gritty -> mad -> silly

But anyway, more cockpit decoration is always welcome, let it be silly stuff or gritty stuff

Edited by Tankman95, 28 March 2015 - 08:55 AM.

"I loved Battlestar Galactica. Chewbacca was my favorite Klingon in it."

Black_Knight_Sky

Black_Knight_Sky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

I keep the Skelebobble, ramen, and fire extinguisher in my cockpit, adds a decent amount of flavor I think. If the do charred photos it would be cool to be able to UL your own photo for it. Beyond that I think that the direction things are going is pretty decent. Loved the Tank Girl reference, I feel like I need to make an exceptionally ridiculous mech set up now.

dopual4fd3c.png

SigmaOmega

SigmaOmega

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

It would be cool to have it where you can so called "scars" on the mechs. Ones that are visiable and show more warn parts on it. So it could add to the "grit"

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts
Idk, if I were stuck on Illal and became a really good mech pilot, I'd sure as hell have a pink mech, because you just know you're fuzzy bunnied when you see it.

Most of my mechs are pink.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted. 

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Spoiler

And you say there's no grit. Clearly the game is full with very serious and very dark themed war machines that should be taken very seriously.

• VYR3 likes this

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Ya, it's all decent and it has the right flavor for most people, but I'm a seriously rusted metal kinda guy. I mean, I make jewelry with rusted stuff, so I find an odd beauty in it. And I narrowed it down quite a bit >:c I even described the entire model for the picture.

I'm not saying I don't agree with you.  Honestly, the who premise of Hawken's universe is exceptionally grim, dark, and kind of nihilistic if you think about it in the long run.  The quarantine effectively sends everyone on the planet to their death.

We need more gritty stuff.  I mean, a lot of old forum members talked about the atmosphere in Hawken, and how it's changed.

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, 28 March 2015 - 11:20 AM.

AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Being more seriously on topic, we need paint jobs with Pinup girls and Brosie.

While I know a (moderately weak) argument could be made for how the bright paint jobs could juxtapose the grit of war, it does come across as weird at times. But things like pinup girls, or kill silhouettes are things we've seen in actual war.

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing macabre keepsakes in the cockpit, like the dog tags of fallen comrades.
  • VYR3 likes this

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted.

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Being more seriously on topic, we need paint jobs with Pinup girls and Brosie.

While I know a (moderately weak) argument could be made for how the bright paint jobs could juxtapose the grit of war, it does come across as weird at times. But things like pinup girls, or kill silhouettes are things we've seen in actual war.

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing macabre keepsakes in the cockpit, like the dog tags of fallen comrades.

Not if we make those paint jobs intentionally faded and dusty.  I'd like your post, but I ran out.

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted.

Edited by KilleR_OrigiNs, 30 April 2015 - 10:16 PM.

AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

I have always liked the bomber girl pictures, they've always been really cool. I've even been tempted to get a tattoo of one on my temple. (It'd be cool, don't judge.)

I would say this though, it would be even more interesting to have another party present in the 'war for resource', and that would be the civilian's living out in the desert. (So, maybe not an actual fightable team, but a lore fixation.)

There's actually worker NPCs that can be spawned and squished. I've been in a few matches with the old devs where they would spawn a bunch.
I think they're not in the regular game for rating reasons.

• VYR3 and KilleR_OrigiNs like this

moosa17

moosa17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Hawken is one of the "grittiest" games I've ever played. 

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted. 

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
There's actually a type of psychology to this kind of thing. At it's core, the cupcake mech is a pretty dark reminder of just how bad things are. Someone is in so much mental turmoil that they have to paint their war machine, the thing they get paid by a corporation to pilot to murder other people on a planet that is being wiped out by a nano virus that they likely had a hand in releasing, that they have to make things cute just to stay a person.

Technician | Fear the Beam | Support
Welcome to the End of Days
KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted. 

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

I get this very strong feeling you're going to like my fan-fic.

Technician | Fear the Beam | Support
Welcome to the End of Days
KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted. 

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted.

AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

I know this is a bump from the stone age, and I am willing to suffer for it! (My body is ready.)

But I'd just like to point out how hypocritical it is that I made this thread, then went on a spree last night applying the only color I own (pink) to every single mech I have (except my Sharpshooter... Screw that mech. I only use it when there are snipers.)

Also... Uh... If we could make the pink brighter, more flamboyant, and that much more annoying, I would be super appreciative ^-^

A one week bump is hardly out of the ordinary.

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

I know this is a bump from the stone age, and I am willing to suffer for it! (My body is ready.)

But I'd just like to point out how hypocritical it is that I made this thread, then went on a spree last night applying the only color I own (pink) to every single mech I have (except my Sharpshooter... Screw that mech. I only use it when there are snipers.)

Also... Uh... If we could make the pink brighter, more flamboyant, and that much more annoying, I would be super appreciative ^-^

I wish we had more diverse colors, that'd be nice.  Also, more pink?  Why don't we have it neon pink and it flashes whenever someone shoots it?  I'm kidding, but I dunno man... Not sure if brighter colors = more grit per se.  Now, I know that flashy colors in a dystopain universe means people are trying to make the best out of a really depressing time, but there's such thing as a little too far.  I'm not a fan of having super ultra vibrant colors.

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted. 

VYR3

VYR3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

all I think they need to do is boost the bass on a lot of the guns to make them sound more powerful (less pew, more thud.) give some extraordinarily slight recoil to make the game feel like you're shooting something, not just clicking(just enough to impart some screenshake, this doesnt have to be applied snipers or long range weapons, but more for the sustained weapons like AR/SMC/Vulcan, and bring back the old embedded HUD that we originally had (HP/fuel/HEAT were all displayed on the dash board) and finally, throw a bucket of dirt on everything... and I mean EVERYTHING.

Edited by VYR3, 05 April 2015 - 08:28 PM.

• Tankman95 and KilleR_OrigiNs like this

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

To be totally honest, I was really expecting you to literally dismember me when I saw your comment.

I was surprisingly disappointed... 

(Please no murder :c)

P.S. Sorry I didn't notice your first post, I feel almost entirely offensive by not commenting on such an amazing idea. I really hope they offer a game mode with that... Like, it sounds rather funny, but adding just a little reality to it would make battles that much more serious for me.

Which is the main reason I bumped this. I really do run around in every single mech, totally pink. It's wrong of me to say I want more grit, and then do that... But I do that mostly because when I play Hawken, I really do lose my mind. (Literally giggle insanely when I play as the Incinerator now... Ahem...)

But... Bright pink, that flashes when shot? CAN ANYONE SAY HAWKEN RAVE PARTYDANCEGONOWBAOOOOYYAAAHHH!

Not everything AJK says is all about 'I'm gonna rip every post I comment on with the pure power of soul crushing logic and humiliation'.  Sometimes he even jokes!  When that happens, make sure to frame that post on a wall in your room!  :biggrin:

Also, I admit to insanity.. Whenever I trap someone with mines or blast enemies to kingdom come with Gren, I grin with glee.  I've not laughed crazily yet though....okay, that was a lie.

• KilleR_OrigiNs likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users