• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Yeah. While the amount of work JeffMagnum put into compiling all this data is impressive, I don't believe it accurately reflects the entire playerbase. 42 people isn't the greatest sample size, especially since the game normally has 400+ people in-game at all times.

Another thing that might've helped your poll was if you had left it up for more than three days. I didn't get a chance to weigh in, and I bet a lot of other people didn't, either.

the method that jeff chose to compile his data limited him to working with a small sample size. also 40-50 out of 500 is considered a decent sample size

We Can Dance If We Want To     

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

Nightfirebolt

Nightfirebolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

the method that jeff chose to compile his data limited him to working with a small sample size. also 40-50 out of 500 is considered a decent sample size

But that doesn't reflect the entire playerbase. That only reflects the amount of people that are usually in-game at the same time.

How many accounts are there in total? Do we even know?

I just think that before we title a thread "The Hawken Community's Collective Opinions" we should - perhaps - represent more than 42 of us.

Edited by Nightfirebolt, 29 March 2015 - 07:44 PM.

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

But that doesn't reflect the entire playerbase. That only reflects the amount of people that are usually in-game at the same time.

we do, and lots of them are smirffs probably, the people who voice their opinions are the people who get counted. most people who are fine with the game as is, dont usually say anything untill they are unhappy. that is how the world works.

We Can Dance If We Want To     

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

Nightfirebolt

Nightfirebolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

we do, and lots of them are smirffs probably, the people who voice their opinions are the people who get counted. most people who are fine with the game as is, dont usually say anything untill they are unhappy. that is how the world works.

I didn't get to voice my opinion because the poll in question was only available for a few days. I also think it's also reasonable to assume that there are probably a lot of regular players - and casual players - who haven't even checked out the new forums yet, or were simply busy during the limited time frame that the poll was open.

And you're saying their opinions are somehow less valuable?

Guess we'll agree to disagree.

Edited by Nightfirebolt, 29 March 2015 - 07:53 PM.

AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

If players in a low MMR range do not typically fully understand what they are talking about, it should be relatively easy to deconstruct their arguments. I hope no one falls into the dishonest practice of belittling an argument through MMR (which is ultimately irrelevant).

I was think more in terms of interpreting the poll when I wrote this, where people are checking boxes, rather than writing out full arguments and explanations.

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Yeah. While the amount of work JeffMagnum put into compiling all this data is impressive, I don't believe it accurately reflects the entire playerbase. 42 people isn't the greatest sample size, especially since the game normally has 400+ people in-game at all times.

Something that might've helped his poll is if he had left it up for more than three days. I didn't get a chance to weigh in, and I bet a lot of other people didn't, either.

I just think that before we title a thread "The Hawken Community's Collective Opinions" we should - perhaps - represent more than 42 of us.

That's not really how statistics works. The sample:population ratio is far less important than making sure participants are selected randomly from the population (which my poll failed at pretty badly) and that a decently large number (which I failed at to a lesser extent) of people respond. 42/500 is hardly less accurate than 42/50000. Population isn't even usually a factor unless it's small, which is unfortunately the case with Hawken. 

Play with this calculator if you don't believe me. 

I definitely acknowledge that this is more a reflection of what the forums believe than what everyone who plays the game does. 

Edited by JeffMagnum, 29 March 2015 - 10:22 PM.

• MomOw and Call_Me_Ishmael like this

d1eZeG3.png

Nightfirebolt

Nightfirebolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

I definitely acknowledge that this is more a reflection of what the forums believe than what everyone who plays the game does. 

That was exactly my point.

• MomOw likes this

Houruck

Houruck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
uh2H6hu.png

Why did you split UK and EU into different groups?

Originally I was going to see the effect that ping had on opinions as I assumed that a lot of people would be reporting US-E pings regardless of where they lived, but since almost everyone reported what they got on local servers, I couldn't get much from it.

UK and EU are in fact the same region called Europe in the server browser.
  • DerMax and Pastorius like this

Knight of the Holy Tree

CRITICAL ASSIST

United in Diversity, Divided by Zero

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

predators gonna predate

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

Talking about statistics, ashfire site is great to sort out data :

~50 players in-game in EU servers (peak)

~400 players in-game in USE servers (peak)

-> the results showed 22% of anwsers from EU (to be compared with 12.5% peak to peak), so either ~10% of EU players use USE servers or EU players are over represented on the forum (or a little of both).

Maybe if EU servers could be selected first and if population increase we will have more mixed players between USE and other regions.

Then other significant data are which games are played :

1st. TDM     63%

2nd. Siege  19%

3rd. MA        8%

4th. Coop     6%

5th. DM        4%

I would have love to be able to check the average MMR of the servers but I feel that good players play mostly both TDM and Siege, and sometime duels in DM.

So in terms of balance this means that TDM is the major concern, then Siege and in term of server set up I wonder why there is so much MA, DM or CoopBotDestruction.

IRZUTYo.png

gXO9Nfd.pngmXasTsY.pngft4VqcE.png

KDR Member | Streamer | Priority Target II

Spoiler

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

uh2H6hu.png

UK and EU are in fact the same region called Europe in the server browser.

I remember seeing servers like "-server-UK" and servers dedicated to the rest of Europe, but that could be outdated info. 

Then other significant data are which games are played :

5th. DM        4%

:(

Edited by JeffMagnum, 30 March 2015 - 01:19 AM.

d1eZeG3.png

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

DM are not vastly played because Hawken is teamplay based and some Mech are really better in DM.

I see DM as duels or training, and 4% of players isn't bad in that way.

#1vs1DMwithSpectators

IRZUTYo.png

Spoiler

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

I know why it is, but DM is still best M. I figured it was sitting under 5% anyway.

#1vs1DMwithSpectators

Isn't that basically FC?

Edited by JeffMagnum, 30 March 2015 - 01:28 AM.

d1eZeG3.png

Houruck

Houruck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

I remember seeing servers like "-server-UK" and servers dedicated to the rest of Europe, but that could be outdated info.

They called some AWS servers UK even though they were hosted in Ireland. They later renamed the region to Europe and experimented with i3D servers hosted elsewhere but those were always in the same region in the browser. The UK players are a part of the larger EU community.

Knight of the Holy Tree

CRITICAL ASSIST

United in Diversity, Divided by Zero

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

predators gonna predate

Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

If only those things were so easy to seperate. Unfortunately it is not so, and thus, the controversy over what is "right" between higher and lower MMR players.

Which leaves me of the opinion that the devs simply need to make a decision that they feel is the "right" direction for Hawken. ADH couldn't make up their minds and stick with anything, instead they kept mucking things up. Hawken was a solid game out the gate, at that point it would have been perfectly acceptable to consider input from high tier players regarding balance. Instead ADH made sweeping change, after change, and here we are now. 

What Hawken is now, is this what was originally envisioned Hawken should be, is this the Hawken that got everyone excited at E3 2012? 

For me personally Hawken should be something closer to this, aesthetically (gritty map color pallet, dust, smoke, audio, HUD, speed, and the way flight is handled. Hawken today is not even close to what that game was, and I'm not convinced straying so far from the original was a good idea. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Balance changes could have been made, and I'm convinced the large sweeping meta changes were completely unnecessary. One could argue these huge changes nuked Hawken's player base and ultimately lead to a slow death. What we're left with now has split the community, some say the older Hawken was better, others argue the current Hawken is almost perfect. At this point it's up to the devs to make a decision, and I have a gut feeling not much is going to really change. I can't see them straying too far from the current state, because money. There needs to be a profit turned on this game, making big changes costs money.

Anyways, I can dream can't I?  :thumbsup:

Walk this same line again, sim / fast'ish shooter. This feel was just right.

Combat was much more grounded. The big thing AC, and the fuel dodge change did was pretty much break the maps. In this video the gameplay compliments the map design quite well, and I'd argue is the ideal style of gameplay for Hawken. It scratches the mech sim itch, but still maintains the ferocity and speed to satisfy more hardcore FPS fans. Nice balance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5-nlMamVPI

Edited by Superkamikazee, 30 March 2015 - 06:47 AM.

No crew

shosca

shosca

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

I feel like i should put this here as people keep talking about "High Tier"

9nYEtdl.png

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

9nYEtdl.png

Regardless of this thing's age, its still incredibly inaccurate at the top level because we don't have 10k players anymore and those of us who broke 2k got hella better.

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

Yep I wonder what's the true average MMR of the EU servers (50 players daily peak, and at least a dozen of them are above 2000MMR)

IRZUTYo.png

Spoiler

shosca

shosca

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Regardless of this thing's age, its still incredibly inaccurate at the top level because we don't have 10k players anymore and those of us who broke 2k got hella better.

Based on data from Dec'14 for over 400k players.

Edited by shosca, 30 March 2015 - 01:39 PM.

• MomOw likes this

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

*data*

That looks like its based on a statistical analysis assuming a normal distribution given the mean and stdev you have, and I think it's safe to say the mmr distribution is not normal enough for that assumption be sound. When I got data from Ashfire in early December, top 1% was 1904 mmr.

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

shosca

shosca

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

That looks like its based on a statistical analysis assuming a normal distribution given the mean and stdev you have, and I think it's safe to say the mmr distribution is not normal enough for that assumption be sound. When I got data from Ashfire in early December, top 1% was 1904 mmr.

Its the same data. And you're right about the distribution.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Based on data from Jan 2015 for over 400k players.

Again, irrelevant because the bulk of those are accounts that no longer play and probably barely played.

I'd like to see a breakdown of the play time of accounts and eliminate any under a month. Hell, a week.

• Superkamikazee likes this

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

True, the relevant MMR is for those who are playing regularly.

user_monthly.png

IRZUTYo.png

Spoiler

shosca

shosca

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Again, irrelevant because the bulk of those are accounts that no longer play and probably barely played.

I'd like to see a breakdown of the play time of accounts and eliminate any under a month. Hell, a week.

*sigh*, I didn't say if it was relevant or not. I just said what the data was and when it was from. People are saying things like 'over <insert and arbitrary number>  mmr is high tier' which has no basis on facts. Unfortunately this is the best data I have.

The forums are making people really argumentative.

Edited by shosca, 30 March 2015 - 01:54 PM.

Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

I really hope the devs take this as seriously as the community is. I may not agree with everyones opinion on here regarding the game, but it's clear we are all passionate about Hawken and we all want the best Hawken. Only problem is the number of differing opinions regarding what makes the best Hawken. Reloaded is in a bit of a lose lose position with the forum community. They almost have to take that loss and try appealing to a broader mech or arena shooter audience to grow a bit more. We can argue all we want about the validity of the Steam chart data but those numbers need to, at the very least, double or triple for long term sustainability. 

Edited by Superkamikazee, 30 March 2015 - 02:12 PM.

No crew

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

*sigh*, I didn't say if it was relevant or not. I just said what the data was and when it was from. People are saying things like 'over <insert and arbitrary number>  mmr is high tier' which has no basis on facts. Unfortunately this is the best data I have.

The forums are making people really argumentative.

No, that's just Amid :)

Seriously, though, Ash is working on the data, I've offered to do some interesting sorts of analysis on it.

Did I say Call Me Ishmael?

You should call me Luna.

Arkhaun

Arkhaun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

we just gotta make sure its not toooo much of an arena shooter game to turn off potential new players or if it is then at least make it an arena shooter fun enough that it can invite them. oh and for the love of all the starving children in the world would you fix the cash shop for end game players or plz give us cosmetic gun skins we can buy for hc. I dunno give us the razzle dazzle weve been promised for so long

:wallbash:

SORRY CAPS

170323-R9tPRfBFIQ79.jpg

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

I play this game every day... yet never noticed this Opinion Poll.  I play the game daily, but I only come to the forums once in a while.  How long did the poll run?

I would certainly like to see this poll run again with more inclusion, more notice and a longer time to vote.

I can hardly believe some of the results as I simply don't feel I've seen that much support for some of these "overwhelming opinions".  For example, I keep seeing lots of support for returning much of the game to pre-steam and pre-ascension - which means a slower ground speed, less air time and longer dodging intervals.  I'm also surprised to see so much support for ditching the "weapon raise delay".

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

Pumapaw

Pumapaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

The hi skilled players tend to play the small mechs. Without that input as to what a person plays one does not know the prudjices involved.

I would like infinite armor and I play a G2 assault  and the speed of a scout with secondary lazer melting weapons ....

The tech is a great way to kill the A class off because aiming when sucking there life away is not a factor. Perhaps that is why the tech seems to be hated?

So I think a new survey with favorite mechs played and mmr should be considered.

comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

The hi skilled players tend to play the small mechs. Without that input as to what a person plays one does not know the prudjices involved.

High-skilled players play everything.  Competitive nonsense is heavy on the fat, as well.

100% Hamburger | #becomeinpopcorn

AOTbYIL.png

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Most (arguably all) of the high-skilled players are comfortable with multiple mechs, A classes amongst them.  Competitive play features B and C classes very heavily atm - and not simply because there are class restrictions for league play.  Incinerator, Brawler, Grenadier, and Assault form the backbone of many competitive teams.

Edited by Nept, 02 April 2015 - 06:18 PM.

JackVandal

JackVandal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

I would like infinite armor and I play a G2 assault  and the speed of a scout with secondary lazer melting weapons ....

The tech is a great way to kill the A class off because aiming when sucking there life away is not a factor. Perhaps that is why the tech seems to be hated?

So I think a new survey with favorite mechs played and mmr should be considered.

i think the mmr by mech distribution would be interesting to see.

"but the dead horse has been beaten so many times it's practically a pulpy mess in the barn by now."

-M1lkshake

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users