Photo

Dev Update - Catching Up! Coming Soon - PS4 & Xbox One!

* * * * - 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

LadyTiggs

LadyTiggs

Super Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts
The E3 Announcement for Hawken on Play Station 4 and Xbox One is finally released!  We hope you're just as excited as we are about the news. 

Ever wondered just what was going on for the past year or so? We figured a high level timeline might be of interest :) 

The long and short of it is that the console port is a fantastic addition to Hawken. It brings the gameplay we all love to a very wide audience, and we’ve all kinds of good plans for the future. The PC platform is going see all kinds of benefits; we’re in the process of getting all platforms up to feature parity, and from that point on, the Illal sky is the limit.

March 2015 – Reloaded Games acquires Hawken assets
  • This was the big rescue-style emergency recovery action to make sure Hawken didn’t disappear.
June 2015 – Console port starts to ramp up

505 Games happened to notice when we acquired the Hawken assets. They pretty quickly mentioned they thought a console port would make a lot of sense, and so after some negotiation time and some exploratory research, an agreement was signed that put Hawken on the road to becoming a console title. Prior to then, we had to sort of remain in a bit of a holding pattern, because depending on the possible console port work, the nature of immediate development efforts would have been drastically different. This is probably when you may have noticed capnjosh becoming a little less-than-precise in his communications ;)

July 2015 – Initial code merge for PlayStation 4 port

This involved merging some 26,000 files. I'm sure you can imagine how mind-numbing that can be. Our tech director had done this a number of times before, so when he finished, the game was surprisingly close to running. Things generally compiled, but, as you can guess, it becomes a hugely painful process of addressing every compilation problem, adding more logging, iterating, and generally going into super-focus mode for hours and hours and days and days. If you don’t mind doing that, then, well game dev may be for you.

August 2015 – First raw PlayStation builds

This phase took the longest, since it had to set things up to work with the upcoming Xbox One merge. It also was where we had to also port the Hawken-specific online subsystems; this proved to pretty time-consuming on its own. All throughout, we made sure it ran on PC, which helped with testing overall, and it also allowed for faster dev work for the rest of the team. 

September 2015 – Xbox One code merge and first builds

During this process we had to upgrade to DirectX 11. We had to merge 3 different rendering pipelines into one so future development could be faster. 

October 2015 –  Significant playable builds for console. UI starts to become a challenging little beast

Here’s where the development started to get interesting. Talk about complex.

November 2015 – UI proves to be far more of a problem than anticipated.

The problem essentially boiled down to pretty old tech debt. The UI code had had to be structured to handle a lot more than ActionScript 2 was really well-suited to handle, so there were added layers of complexity that made work very slow for people unfamiliar with all the context behind where and why things were coded the way they were. Clean, well-engineered code, yes, but very complex.

December 2015 – Started a UI rebuild; winter illness

The idea behind this was that we could not get satisfactory console controller input. Shifting focus between all the elements on the existing UI was proving near impossible. So, we sort of had no choice but to try rebuilding a new UI framework using all the experience of past console port work and current best practices. This process was very time consuming, and I’m sure our publisher can emphasize how worrisome it all was ;)

January 2016 – Revert to old UI with help of original U programmer; framerate gets better

Out of nowhere, Jay Elwanger happened to become available. He knew how and why code was the way it was and he loved Hawken. He was able to do a proof-of-concept UI update that indicated we did not have to scrap the entire old UI. This work allowed us to put focus back on the engine-specific porting work.

February 2016 – Services layer updates, continue UI, reschedule launch dates

We upgraded frameworks for the back-end services, we improved handling, created all the server-to-server communications systems required for console authentication and purchases. Kind of a complex bundle of things there, let me tell ya. Good thing is it’s all fairly reusable and pretty clean.

March 2016 – More services updates, hosting and deployment adjustments

The services layer saw upgrades to things like processing efficiency, security, and compression of data in transit over the network. Hosting systems and the services layer had to updated to handle the now-multiple platforms per environment. Deployment systems, build servers, gameserver hosts, and services machines all saw changes. And all the while we had to keep in mind how we can ensure the live PC game is supported.

April 2016 – First certification checks on Xbox One

The Xbox team at Microsoft was excited to see Hawken on the Xbox One, and they actually did a few pre-certification reviews for us. And then they even had an expert do an analysis of some PIX captures. You know when you get to hear a true expert on some topic sort of explain what they’re seeing, what they suspect could be a cause, and then some historical background on why something could be happening? Yeah, there are some really smart people over at Microsoft.

May 2016 – First certification submissions, massive bug fixing

Having a game build in certification testing is nerve-wracking. You go for several days fearing the worst – dozens of
Condition For Resubmission items (in Xbox parlance) or Must Fix items (in Play Station testing terms). The stakes are high at this point ; it takes a week or two from the time you do final commits for a build to when that build is done with submission testing. Getting fixes retested and approved can be that long plus the time it takes to find and fix the issues. It was in May that we lost someone who had become a great friend and huge Hawken supporter, Jay Elwanger. We were all stunned and we still miss him. He loved Hawken, and he poured some fantastic work into this game. I’m proud to have known him.

Summer 2016 – Launch, relaunch, and updates

There will undoubtedly be some cleanup and fixes required after the console launch, but during all that we will be preparing for the PC relaunch. Why didn’t we do the PC first? A commitment to launch the console version first and the desire to solidify that release before we tackle the task of making sure all the existing data in the PC game is handled right. We also have what we expect to performance improvements, a new patcher, and the new faster services layer. Most importantly, we have structured the project so that any development efforts apply across all platforms, so once we have all the platforms up to the same version, all future development should proceed in lock-step.

Future development targets, roadmap, and more will be released over the coming weeks.

• coldform, Analysis, crockrocket and 24 others like this

~~Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for thou art crunchy and go well with ketchup!!~~

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

In lieu of my go-to statement, please accept my condolences on the loss of a co-worker and friend.

• crockrocket, Miscellaneous, Zdragow and 4 others like this

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
Thank you for the update. Very exciting.

Edited by WmMoneyFrmMissouri, 13 June 2016 - 07:26 PM.

wmmoney.png

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

Your work was undone, William.

Did I say Call Me Ishmael?

You should call me Luna.

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

Oh, and I guess I will buy that GTX-1080 after all.

Did I say Call Me Ishmael?

You should call me Luna.

TURDxSANDWICH

TURDxSANDWICH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
So.... what about gameplay/progression improvements? What's the plan to address the fact that new players only stick around for 3 days? Sorry for being overly negative at first, but when you hold out on us for this long, and then upon the new announcement, none of it is for us, and having any of it be for us depends on the success of the console version, it begs the question.... what have you done to the game to make sure it sees more success on the consoles than it did on PC?
  • Neraste and DieselCat like this

4wBdPaU.jpg

Flifang

Flifang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Nothing was said about waiting till the console versions were successful before giving the PC platform what the consoles are getting at launch. They just need to be sure that the console versions work properly and devote their team to that at first because that's literally everything they've been working on for the last year. Giving the PC version priority at launch would be like leaving a newborn in the tub with water in the bottom because your teenager is hungry and won't bother to try and make something themselves. 

Jesus H. Tap-dancing Christ: will you chill out a little? Summer is literally 7 days away. 

• JackVandal and 6ixxer like this

HOHOHOSANTA

HOHOHOSANTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

PC should've been done first, as too most reviews will come from what has been done in the past years its been out already. You made a ''newer'' hawken while still having ''problem'' hawken. If someone asks me whats new in the game, I still can't answer them unless I tell them go buy a console and buy hawken cause free hawken is dead =[

• DieselCat likes this

DieselCat

DieselCat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Well one thing I can be happy about...at least the Cavs won tonight  :thumbsup:

Just Relax....and take life one game at a time....

Don't run to your death....walk

th_Duckman.jpg   th_82c0a97c-98de-4aac-be47-05e5e099be80.

*+

DemitronPrime

DemitronPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

SO....

a year of being promised an update early 2016, to be told that the UPDATE is... you are focusing on consoles and NEW players...

Thanks SOOOOO much reloaded for kicking hawken players in the nuts... we have been playing and PAYING for years... now you basically spent a year promising us updates... just to tell us... your focusing on ps4 and xbox one... fuzzy bunny you kindly roll over and die...

all i keep hearing is BLAH BLAH BLAH BS!!

I WAS excited when i found that video... then i saw the OTHER update posts... now i feel like i may as well bend over, lube up and hand you my wallet...

• Nov8tr and SOD_CyberTormentor like this

Puck Flinging-Nade Lobbing-Troll Tech

r4GY0PF.jpg

::eoc Pred::Eoc/HC Infil::Vulcanador::Hawkins Tech::EOC Raider::

" I play on north American servers with a 200Ping to give you cry babies a chance"

2XhpJes.png

"Nothing says Good morning Like a well placed Nade"

DieselCat

DieselCat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

PC should've been done first, as too most reviews will come from what has been done in the past years its been out already. You made a ''newer'' hawken while still having ''problem'' hawken. If someone asks me whats new in the game, I still can't answer them unless I tell them go buy a console and buy hawken cause free hawken is dead =[

Can someone tell me how Hawken will be free to play on a console ? Will that person have to by an online account for a XBone or PissShit 4 to play it for free ?

Just Relax....and take life one game at a time....

Don't run to your death....walk

th_Duckman.jpg   th_82c0a97c-98de-4aac-be47-05e5e099be80.

*+

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

Finally, some communication.

• Drrt4 and Chickin like this

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

americanbrit14

americanbrit14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Judging off of these few comments here... it seems we have a few very different viewpoints on this.

VfuS0qE.png?1

contracted by 

??

INDUSTRY

TURDxSANDWICH

TURDxSANDWICH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Nothing was said about waiting till the console versions were successful before giving the PC platform what the consoles are getting at launch. They just need to be sure that the console versions work properly and devote their team to that at first because that's literally everything they've been working on for the last year. Giving the PC version priority at launch would be like leaving a newborn in the tub with water in the bottom because your teenager is hungry and won't bother to try and make something themselves. 
Jesus H. Tap-dancing Christ: will you chill out a little? Summer is literally 7 days away.

Of course nothing was said about waiting until the console versions succeed before updating the PC version. Why would they say that? Also, why would they bother updating the game for a platform that has already failed if it also fails on its new platforms? It is what it is. At this point, we need the consoles to succeed in order for us to get what we want on PC. I get that consoles are a good thing for Reloaded, and I hope it works out so they can continue development on PC. So, I just want to know what they did to the game to make it succeed on the consoles where it didn't on PC. Is it simply because it will be in active development, so players will stick around for continued new content, or did they also change the economy,new game modes, or something else?

We haven't heard anything about anything for so long. And they break the silence with news that none of the new content is for us yet, and also provide very little info that has any actual meaning to players in their first big forum post after the announcement. I'm not impressed. Sorry I'm not sorry. Information is everything, and we still have very little.
  • crockrocket, Silverfire, Miscellaneous and 5 others like this

4wBdPaU.jpg

Dedhed

Dedhed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Thanks for the recap of lots of hard work. :thumbsup: Disappointed the PC version gets new stuff later (honestly, that hurts a bit), but glad to see that updates are expected to be simultaneous for all platforms afterward. Definitely hope that turns out to be the case.

• dorobo likes this

"One day I will leave this world and dream myself to reality" -- Chief Crazy Horse

"Love is the Law, Love under Will" -- Aleister Crowley

"This is like talking to breakfast cereal" -- Otherland

DemitronPrime

DemitronPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Reached maxed likes, or i would have spammed them on turds post... JS

BTW Flifang, actually it was...

Spoiler

Right when were were promised an update... and found out it was an empty promise because they are focusing on getting the console versions working properly first....

basically, they have been dragging it out and egging us on... saying " look over here" so we didnt see the duel seeker a class cockateer ramming us from behind screaming " YOU DONT ACTUALLY MATTER "

what happens when the cross platform Does happen IF it happens and we dont have the content but they do...

You really wanna fight a group of trolling teenagers in duel seeker a classes in one of the 15 or so mechs we have atm

Edited by -TDM- Demitron-Prime, 13 June 2016 - 08:28 PM.

r4GY0PF.jpg

" I play on north American servers with a 200Ping to give you cry babies a chance"

2XhpJes.png

AxionOperandi

AxionOperandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Cool post, hopefully this means the veil of silence has been lifted....

Sucks that we have to keep waiting for updates for the PC though, I was really hoping we wouldn't have to wait for that..... oh well. I guess I'll just keep popping my head in the forums every couple of days to see whats up.
  • Dedhed likes this

Dedhed

Dedhed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

stuff that i put a "like" on for the emotionally even response

"One day I will leave this world and dream myself to reality" -- Chief Crazy Horse

"Love is the Law, Love under Will" -- Aleister Crowley

"This is like talking to breakfast cereal" -- Otherland

Nov8tr

Nov8tr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Ahhhhh the old magician's misdirection trick...........imagine that.

tumblr_nqik8tGeYe1s9ab4to1_400.gif

watch closely at beginning to make it more fun.

Edited by Nov8tr, 13 June 2016 - 08:35 PM.

• dorobo likes this

"Nov8tr" is pronounced "INNOVATOR"

aEGHJsh.gif?1

Yes I'm really 64 yrs old. July 6, 1953

DingdongJR

DingdongJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Guys, despite how we all feel, can we at least acknowledge the fact that we now know something IS actually happening.  It's a lot better than what we have received thus far. 

DemitronPrime

DemitronPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Ahhhhh the old magician's misdirection trick...........imagine that.

tumblr_nqik8tGeYe1s9ab4to1_400.gif

watch closely at beginning to make it more fun.

So great... on the mark Nova :P

r4GY0PF.jpg

2XhpJes.png

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

does this mean we get good servers finally? because at this point, if servers aren't flawless, then that will be one of the biggest factors to drive players away 

• comic_sans, DeeRax, HHJFTRU and 2 others like this

We Can Dance If We Want To     

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

Flifang

Flifang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

SO....
a year of being promised an update early 2016, to be told that the UPDATE is... you are focusing on consoles and NEW players...

Thanks SOOOOO much reloaded for kicking hawken players in the nuts... we have been playing and PAYING for years... now you basically spent a year promising us updates... just to tell us... your focusing on ps4 and xbox one... fuzzy bunny you kindly roll over and die...

all i keep hearing is BLAH BLAH BLAH BS!!

I WAS excited when i found that video... then i saw the OTHER update posts... now i feel like i may as well bend over, lube up and hand you my wallet...

You know, for being kicked in the nuts you sure are talking a lot

Edited by Flifang, 13 June 2016 - 08:42 PM.

DemitronPrime

DemitronPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

does this mean we get good servers finally? because at this point, if servers aren't flawless, then that will be one of the biggest factors to drive players away 

100%

how about this genius idea...

FIX the house BEFORE you SELL the House....

can you imagine if reloaded, FIXED hawken... had it RUNNING FLAWLESS on pc with a player base THEN ported it.... OMG ...

they might have WON

Edited by -TDM- Demitron-Prime, 13 June 2016 - 08:42 PM.

r4GY0PF.jpg

2XhpJes.png

DemitronPrime

DemitronPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

You know, for being kicked in the nuts you sure are talking a lot

Weren't you running off to buy a ps4 or xbox one?

^_^

go do that then

r4GY0PF.jpg

2XhpJes.png

ATX22

ATX22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Welp, guess I'm still waiting for a while longer then for new content.. maybe I missed it, but any word on the console and PC ecosystem?  Coexisting or separate?

Analysis

Analysis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

I will check it out on the xbox, but I'm curious about the announcement trailer for the PS4. At 19 seconds in the trailer says over 30 mechs at launch.

https://youtu.be/CHjWa7ueHT8?t=18s

Currently their are 15 mechs in game. I really hope a "new" mech isn't just a primary weapon swap. I really don't want content exclusive mech skins, weapons, items, maps, or mechs appear on any of the platforms.

• Rajitha likes this

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

do you make the net with holes bigger in hopes of bringing in more fish even though fish obviously slip out of the net and back to the savagery of the ocean and then fix the holes in the net or do you fix the holes first and then make the net bigger

that is the question

• dorobo, crockrocket, Guns_N_Rozer and 5 others like this

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

I will check it out on the xbox, but I'm curious about the announcement trailer for the PS4. At 19 seconds in the trailer says over 30 mechs at launch.

Currently their are 15 mechs in game. I really hope a "new" mech isn't just a primary weapon swap. I really don't want content exclusive mech skins, weapons, items, maps, or mechs appear on any of the platforms.

Well their genius idea for a G2 Rocketeer appears to dual wield Seekers so boy, let me tell you, it's absolutely 100% worse than a primary weapons swap.

asipo

asipo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

i doest matter if it a weapon swap, we still dont have 
b-class with GL and heat cannont
c-class with sabot and many more min-maxing

Join Hawken asia Facebook group : here

Mech idea : Marauder (B-class), Raptor (A-class)

SparkyJJC

SparkyJJC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
All I want to know is how long the console's content that we saw in the E3 console trailer will come to PC? I'm having some nasty flashbacks to Blacklight Retribution here. Capnjosh / Tiggs, please qualm my fears.

EDIT: Apologies for seeming so arrogant. You've done great work so far Reloaded and I'm very sorry the loss of Jay, your fellow coworker. He will be greatly missed.

Edited by Sparky, 13 June 2016 - 11:12 PM.

AXgnWyr.png

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

All I want to know is how long the console's content that we saw in the E3 console trailer will come to PC? I'm having some nasty flashbacks to Blacklight Retribution here. Capnjosh / Tiggs, please qualm my fears.

didn't you read the thing.. they done all the porting so they can make updates and changes simultaneously on all platforms.. at least that is how i understood it.

SparkyJJC

SparkyJJC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

didn't you read the thing.. they done all the porting so they can make updates and changes simultaneously on all platforms.. at least that is how i understood it.

They did say that, but they said they would focus on the PC relaunch after the Console launches, I'm just curious as to how long thst might take if an estimate were to be given. Though now I'm starting to realise that this is a bit too broad of a statement to have numbers applied to them just yet.

AXgnWyr.png

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

They did say that, but they said they would focus on the PC relaunch after the Console launches, I'm just curious as to how long thst might take if an estimate were to be given. Though now I'm starting to realise that this is a bit too broad of a statement to have numbers applied to them just yet.

for fuzzy bunny's sake.. we waited for years and those shmucks on consoles that say hawken's titanfall's knockoff will get new stuff first? Awesome!

Pleasure_Mortar

Pleasure_Mortar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Should PC players one day be able to play vs. console players just think about how much they have to either boost the console dmg or add aim assist or limit the pc versions power severely. otherwise we would drive off the console players in a few weeks. just think about all the darma ahead. 

Anichkov3

Anichkov3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Dear developers! Please fix the lack of information on the official website of the game - what mechs in the game, and their weapons.

• comic_sans likes this

http://www.hawken.ru- ???? ??????????? ?????????? ??????? (Website of the Russian community)

http://ru.hawken.wikia.com - ??????? ????????? ?? ???? (Russian Wikipedia HAWKEN)

http://vk.com/hawken - ???????? ??????????? ?????????? ??????? ? ?? (social network VK)

Shade__

Shade__

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Meanwhile i'm seeing the incoming fuzzstorm and i'm all like.

Spoiler

But at the same time i'm scared.

,d88b.d88b,
`Y8888888Y'
`Y888Y' 
`Y

-Shade__

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts
Hawken Devs release an update...

Community still has a moan.

WTF Hawkeners. W T F
  • dorobo, Analysis, Odinous and 2 others like this

PsychedelicGrass

PsychedelicGrass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
The e3 announcement alone might end up giving us some new players who see it and get curious. That's good. The console release might bring some to pc, that's good too. And it sounds like eventually the pc version will be updated so it's up to par with the consoles.

Makes sense to focus on consoles first since, you know, that's what they've been working on for the past year or so. Pc version will be brought up to par eventually.

I swear I'm the most patient person on these entire forums lol
  • LadyTiggs, OmegaNull and Bergwein like this

What's the big fuzzy bunnyng deal? Lots of amazing people have committed suicide, and they turned out alright.

Siamenis

Siamenis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

This is great news! Time for this game to receive the attention it deserves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users