Photo

Updated Player Mech and Loadout is Live!

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

VYR3

VYR3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

I think this is really awesome, however I'm jealous. can people who started out with the CR-T get the internals for the assault for free too? :)

question was answered as I posted this...

Edited by VYR3, 31 March 2015 - 02:11 PM.

Killtek

Killtek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Bold move and loving the quick decision making by the new devs!!  Keep it coming!!!

EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

this is priceless. Assault is one of the only mechs i have across all my accounts that has not been leveled up. imma jumping on the gravy train!

#:  chown -R us ./base

nRJ1C9n.png

"...oh great Itzamna, you shall know Us by the trail of Dead."

ThatDamnedBoedy

ThatDamnedBoedy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

ZqvbBkw.jpg

New players will now start with a different mech - the Assault.  And this time they will have a full loadout of items and internals.  The CR-T will continue to exist, so it's not going away.  We will be adding it as a purchasable mech very soon.

Here's what I'm hoping this change will do:

1. Change things up a little bit

2. Attempt to alleviate "pay 2 win" impressions

3. Make new users live a little longer

4. Make it more clear to new users what's available in the game

If you have a chance, ask new users what they think of Hawken.  I'm hoping you will notice a pattern of new users having a slightly different set of impressions.

Here's the rundown:

Mech:

Assault

Items Loadout: 

MG Turret - 2 slot

Repair Chart - 2 slot

Shield - 2 slot

Unlocked Items (in addition to loadout):

Detonator - 3 slot

Repair Charge - 4 slot

Hologram - 4 slot

Disruptor - 4 slot

Internals Loadout:

Composite Armor - 1 slot

Deflectors - 2 slot

Extractor - 2 slot

Basic Reconstructor - 1 slot

Unlocked Internals (in addition to loadout):

Air Compressor - 3 slot

Replenisher - 3 slot

Now, for all existing users who didn't get the benefit of this new mech, what would be a good way to make it more fair?  The easiest thing would be to make a universal code that redeems for this exact mech.  Some people will then have 2 Assaults, so I can see how it may not seem ideal.  HC and XP boost promo codes and events would be another easy way to address it.  I want to hear more thoughts... and I'd like to move on it pretty soon.

How about new content?  I have 100K+HC sitting around doing nothing and I'll bet there are others like me with a lot more HC.

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

How about new content?  I have 100K+HC sitting around doing nothing and I'll bet there are others like me with a lot more HC.

You realize that any new content is months down the road ride? You can just magic this fuzzy bunny into existence.

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

You realize that any new content is months down the road ride? You can just magic this fuzzy bunny into existence.

Yeah, the alchemy and animal sacrifices take some time on top of the magic.

On a more serious note, so far so good Reloaded. Keep it up.

• Bergwein, CD_Hunts and Zebanchi like this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

Mergaz

Mergaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

At least we have a initial mech with decent chassis that does not seem an old TV ... Next step will be?

?FTD? eXeon

?FTD? eXeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

In the long run i think new players having access to air compressor is a good thing. If new players are struggling with heat I could see how the replenisher may be useful but it seems like a rather weak choice.

Fix The Delay

gopherAnime

gopherAnime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Wow that's fuzzy fast! LOADEDASSAULT!

Those items choices are delicious.

BR a bit awkward on B class, but overall the internals are good for survival.

DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

In the long run i think new players having access to air compressor is a good thing. If new players are struggling with heat I could see how the replenisher may be useful but it seems like a rather weak choice.

Meh, I actually like replenisher on assault. Especially on maps like Bunker where there's little to no downtime between fights and you're ALWAYS shooting, having that ability up as often as possible is very convenient. I think it adds another type of variety for new players to experiment with.

Hawken gameplay

TPG Playlists -- Season 2 | Season 3

Teknox

Teknox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I think if you already have an asasult, this promo code could unlock the remaining components of that mech. 

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

I think if you already have an asasult, this promo code could unlock the remaining components of that mech. 

AFAIK it gives you a brand new Assault equipped with all this stuff (meaning you'll have 2 Assaults if you use the code).

• hashms0a likes this

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

AloneWolf

AloneWolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I'd love to have an option to Sell mech, because now I got 2 Assaults. Selling one to get 7k HC. Earning HC is such a pain right now... even with boost from the promo code which I found on the internet, I got a maximum of 400 HC each Siege match. :/

And can I keep my Microwave please? (CR-T Recruit) .-.

Or will there be a new variant to replace it? CR-T Mk 2?

I wouldn't mind some new mechs neither. Maybe even some events.

• Jerv and CD_Hunts like this

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

The CR-T is not a microwave! IT'S A TV! that's why it's called CR-T!

You watch the Microwave to rot your eyes and heat up food. A CRT is where you rot your eyes and watch television! JEEEEEEEEZE!!!

Joking aside, Assault seems pretty good. Better for my playstyle than my Raider.

Lioot

Lioot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Thing is, will the new players know how to change their loadouts? I don't remember any sort of tutorial on this, or maybe it was just that long ago

Metalworks

Metalworks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

You really should consider giving people a choice on what mech they start with.People like having that feeling of personl ownership.

-Tj-

-Tj-

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Bummer I didn't get to reply to this sooner. :P

I was going to suggest a code for HC or MC so players who didn't (or won't) benefit from this loadout can do what they want with the currency. I really don't have a use for another Assault mech (too many mechs already as it is), so I would have given my HC/MC code to my brother or a friend for them to benefit from it. Ah well... LOADEDASSAULT, here I come..!

Also, if you have a database of every player's email address, it might be good to send out the code to them, along with some notes about the changes. I like how fast these changes to the game are coming, btw. Keep up the great work!

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Thing is, will the new players know how to change their loadouts? I don't remember any sort of tutorial on this, or maybe it was just that long ago

It isn't too hard to grasp, really. I've been playing for under 2 weeks and I figured it out pretty quickly.

KanaboMelkan

KanaboMelkan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Give us the paint that's on the Assault bot would be a cool idea. It would allow players to show off a bit, for keeping the faith or returning.

Not to mention that it's sexy. Oh so sweet and delectably sexy.

The Best Prey Are The Ones

:pirate:  Who Fight Back  :ninja: 

hestoned

hestoned

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

yo im gunna play right now and spam the hell outa that code. please everyone else do the same. a ton of players dont visit the forums. maybe some people maybe make new accounts and let new players know? i know you can bind text in game can anyone explain this really quick for others?

also maybe redo the redeem code text on the website as right now its VERY TINY.

Edited by hestoned, 31 March 2015 - 04:44 PM.

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
Today they give us a free assault mech, Tomorrow they'll rock our worlds.
(Be patient good people, this is the start of something wonderful. nice work Josh & friends.)
  • Bergwein and CD_Hunts like this

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

RayzorJax

RayzorJax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Good thing I directly purchased the G2 assault rather than the base version, now I have them both... And I didn't have to pay extra.

BimboRotto

BimboRotto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

AC from the start on my opinion can contribute to learn to coordinate side boosting and have a better growing level experience. It's all about mobility.

I like the idea of the promo codes, quite of a gentle thought :--) What about both codes with only one choice to use only once to make everyone happy? 

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

AloneWolf

AloneWolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

The CR-T is not a microwave! IT'S A TV! that's why it's called CR-T!

You watch the Microwave to rot your eyes and heat up food. A CRT is where you rot your eyes and watch television! JEEEEEEEEZE!!!

Joking aside, Assault seems pretty good. Better for my playstyle than my Raider.

Nopeeeeee. Definitely a microwave. MY microwave.

Mech__Warrior

Mech__Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Just spelling:

Repair chart (I was wondering what this was)
Ah... Repair charge.
Might comfuse new players.  Where is this chart you speak of?  :D

--- Account ---
Edit #1:  Hmm... says I'm a newbie that just registered a couple of days ago.  I think this should be over a year or more.
Edit #2:  Nevermind.  Everyone is new. :D haha

Edited by Mech__Warrior, 31 March 2015 - 05:13 PM.

Molasses_Jack

Molasses_Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

A tip 'o the hat to capnjosh.  I very much appreciate the freebie good sir, and look forward, with patience, for any upcoming new content.  Capnjosh, keep the faith and this game will grow. I've convinced one of my sons to come on board with Hawken, and he jumped in by spending $30 on content.  His younger brother is joining up, and possibly 3 or 4 of his friends, too.  It's a damn fine game, and it deserves the patience and encouragement of the player base.  It'll never be all things to all players, but it's unique, and fun, and that's what matters. :thumbsup:

• LaurenEmily and BimboRotto like this

Jayged

Jayged

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks. Change is good!

EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

i just played around with my new Assault. it doesn't look like the old one is getting leveled up. I now have everything i usually put standard into just about every mech (just about). but my puck-head Fred still gets my luvs.

capnjosh: you Rock, sir.  straight forward, thoughtful, and swift aggressive decision making.  the fires have been lit, turbines are spinning up. All Ahead Flank speed!

:)

#:  chown -R us ./base

nRJ1C9n.png

"...oh great Itzamna, you shall know Us by the trail of Dead."

Whilyam

Whilyam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Reposted from the reddit thread:

Hmm. Assuming this isn't an early April Fool's joke, I also think this is a bad idea. The Microwave of Doom is not only iconic, it is probably one of the mechs that makes the most sense in the world. It looks cobbled together from spare parts. Meanwhile a lot of the other mechs look like clean, polished mechs with rounded organic-looking parts that don't really fit(C-class ones in particular).
As for the points
1. You don't need to change things up just because you are in charge now. Keep working on fixing the game/getting stuff together.
2. If there's a pay 2 win impression, consider more about why this comes about. The interface is the real issue here. Although, I would also argue that the ability to change out the main body of a mech is pay 2 win because it changes the mech silhouette and makes players think they're against a different type of mech (berzerker with tech body). But I think the interface issues are the real thing you want to focus on atm.
3. Tweak the CRT's health, then. Maybe consider changing Assault to be less of "CRT+" and more its own thing. It's honestly one of the things I dislike about Hawken is that the Assault is really just a slightly better CRT. I think the problem is with the Assault though, not the CRT.
4. Give internals/items then. Since I think that's what most players aren't aware of.
I think the better path to take is to buff the CRT's health so he's a bit tankier and ask for ideas for reworking the Assault into something similar but very distinct from the CRT. One idea off the top of my head is to make Assault's ability a "burst fire TOW" where your TOW fires multiple rockets in quick succession during the duration. It'd fit the "assault" title and make the mech offer something unique.
Either way, making the CRT a purchasable mech is the wrong idea.

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Its interesting that there is only one 3 slot item. A player cannot equip it without having an empty slot or purchasing another 3 slot. I'm not sure if that's an oversight or brilliant marketing.

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

I wouldn't say switching out the mech body is P2W. It's a "dirty trick" but nothing that really enhances the mech.

AxionOperandi

AxionOperandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Nice, move I think!

Now that the CR-T is not the starter mech and basically and inferior and dumb looking version of the Assault I would suggest phasing it out or tweaking it, as it is there is no reason at all to buy it. 

Removing it would be probably be to controversial so maybe for tweaking change it to the elite model by default so it looks like it belongs with the rest of the mechs and not a walking appliance.  Changing its special ability so it acts a bit differently than the Assault would be cool, maybe cut the heat generation 1/2 for period of time.  Also maybe the secondary or prestige weapon could be changed so they don't have the same weapons, maybe the SA Hawkins.

AloneWolf

AloneWolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Reposted from the reddit thread:

Hmm. Assuming this isn't an early April Fool's joke, I also think this is a bad idea. The Microwave of Doom is not only iconic, it is probably one of the mechs that makes the most sense in the world. It looks cobbled together from spare parts. Meanwhile a lot of the other mechs look like clean, polished mechs with rounded organic-looking parts that don't really fit(C-class ones in particular).

Seeeeeee.... Panzermanathod?
He also said it looks like a Microwave.

Me - 1 ; you - 0

Edited by AloneWolf, 31 March 2015 - 09:13 PM.

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

But it's called a CR-T.

You - none

Me - WON!

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Nice, move I think!

Now that the CR-T is not the starter mech and basically and inferior and dumb looking version of the Assault I would suggest phasing it out or tweaking it, as it is there is no reason at all to buy it. 

Removing it would be probably be to controversial so maybe for tweaking change it to the elite model by default so it looks like it belongs with the rest of the mechs and not a walking appliance.  Changing its special ability so it acts a bit differently than the Assault would be cool, maybe cut the heat generation 1/2 for period of time.  Also maybe the secondary or prestige weapon could be changed so they don't have the same weapons, maybe the SA Hawkins.

I want a disagree button...

The CR-T is almost better than the Assault in every way but looks. It was designed with that intention to make it a more solid and well rounded mech for players to just jump in with. It has a cool-down specialty because it's a basic concept, your guns get hot, hit a button, keep shooting.

That it's not the starter mech doesn't mean that it's not the better mech. All around, it's the best to learn on, and I'll stand by that to the grave, at least until the Assault is rounded off a little bit to be more FRED like.

You're right, it isn't the flashy Assault, and it doesn't give players the connection to the game that something called the 'Reaper' would, but looking at it only from a statistical point of view, the best way to learn how to play HAWKEN is to have a vanilla style mech, and test it's movements in each situation.

The CR-T was the first mech any vet ever had, and the first mech anyone ever learned to fight with. To insult that heritage by immediately demanding it be totally changed is insulting. Will it change? Sure. It'll be thrown back into the fires once the dev's are finished with it. But to want it to change just isn't right. It's like, the very reason I wanted to get better with the Predator, because I had to get better with FRED first.

hashms0a

hashms0a

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
6 of Assault mechs in a team with good players = unstoppable team.

Lioot

Lioot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

6 of Assault mechs in a team with good players = unstoppable team.

To me, isn't this just using the C-RTs? I mean they are both extremely similar other than the C-RT have lower stats here and there. But yeah, more non-box assualts

Browno

Browno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Really good move! I like this a lot, and i will tell my friends about this that started to play 2 days ago :D

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

...and let slip the dogs of war...

Twitter%201.jpg?psid=1Steam%202.jpg?psid=1Tube%203.jpg?psid=1Hawken%204.jpg?psid=1Twitch%205.jpg?psid=1

Spoiler

reznog

reznog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Good work, thumbs up!

Im ok with the CR-T going on sale as is, but i personally always wanted a B-class with a grenade launcher secondary... just saying :thumbsup:

• Crminimal and WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW like this

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

I'm sure DerMax will have something to say as he seems to believe he can make CapnJosh do anything.

Nope.

• opicr0n and nepacaka like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users