• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

Xer06siX

Xer06siX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Who is banned? This seems to be relevant and worth having a discussion. The truth is self evident. What I'm more concerned with is what Steam is spitting out. It's them not me. I felt it was the right time to point out what I already knew.

Just here.                            

g44azur1mvxs41m4g.jpg

HOHOHOSANTA

HOHOHOSANTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Darkest Timeline confirmed.

D: racist

• _incitatus and Badtings like this

DingdongJR

DingdongJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

TL;DR Hawken is slowly dying and all that remains of the PC players is the dedicated community. I think everyone understands this already. But you are missing an important point that those stats also show.

This game has a dedicated community. It is small, but Not every game has the luxury of such commitment.

A game dies when the community dies, and I feel like I will say this for most when I say.

We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight!  We’re going to live on! We’re going to survive!

Edited by DingdongJR, 22 November 2016 - 05:33 PM.

• Amidatelion and Xer06siX like this

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Who is banned? This seems to be relevant and worth having a discussion. The truth is self evident. What I'm more concerned with is what Steam is spitting out. It's them not me. I felt it was the right time to point out what I already knew.

a) No one said you were banned. They implied you finally followed through with something.

2) No one believes you.

Edited by Amidatelion, 22 November 2016 - 05:48 PM.

Xer06siX

Xer06siX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

TL;DR Hawken is slowly dying and all that remains of the PC players is the dedicated community. I think everyone understands this already. But you are missing an important point that those stats also show.

This game has a dedicated community. It is small, but Not every game has the luxury of such commitment.

A game dies when the community dies, and I feel like I will say this for most when I say.

We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight!  We’re going to live on! We’re going to survive!

MANY games enjoy the benefit of a dedicated community, even small ones. 

a) No one said you were banned. They implied you finally followed through with something.

2) No one believes you.

Rightfully so B team (not the clan but the implication), Let's try to be more professional.

Just here.                            

g44azur1mvxs41m4g.jpg

Xer06siX

Xer06siX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

As far as a game goes dingdong, a game dies when the money runs out. Learn that, don't forget it. Every time.

• PsychedelicGrass likes this

Just here.                            

g44azur1mvxs41m4g.jpg

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

Perhaps when the servers are not hosted by a company that may decide to pull the plug if it becomes unprofitable.

If RLD decides that the costs are no longer sustainable, then the servers will be shutdown.

I'm hoping that the game develops in a direction that brings sustained numbers and that doesn't happen.

I'd also like it if RLD can plan a private server package and a client that can work without the RLD servers so that the game can live forever for offline bots and LAN play if they ever decide they're done with it. 

• Xer06siX likes this

Xer06siX

Xer06siX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Perhaps when the servers are not hosted by a company that may decide to pull the plug if it becomes unprofitable.

If RLD decides that the costs are no longer sustainable, then the servers will be shutdown.

I'm hoping that the game develops in a direction that brings sustained numbers and that doesn't happen.

I'd also like it if RLD can plan a private server package and a client that can work without the RLD servers so that the game can live forever for offline bots and LAN play if they ever decide they're done with it. 

Amen. 

Just here.                            

g44azur1mvxs41m4g.jpg

wischatesjesus

wischatesjesus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Quickest way to kill a community? Inhibit their ability to congregate.

Lets talk about the state of private servers.

• PoopSlinger, DeeRax, Xer06siX and 1 other like this

oFFOtRH.jpg

High Tier Cabal (Noun): A group of people who used to play Hawken.  

Xer06siX

Xer06siX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Indeed. This is about to become vaporware-after-the-fact, which would be insane...

Just here.                            

g44azur1mvxs41m4g.jpg

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

The way the game is built, I'm highly uncertain that a version of Hawken built without the servers they are 100% dependent on is unlikely to become a reality.  To me, it's a waste of time for the developers.  Why plan for your game to die like that? 

As far as a game goes dingdong, a game dies when the money runs out. Learn that, don't forget it. Every time.

Ironically, IIRC, Hawken's servers weren't shut down when ADH finally went under. They just kind of....stayed up.

Edited by Silverfire, 22 November 2016 - 07:28 PM.

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

The state of the player base is always worth a talk.  However, to forget to mention that you want to discuss the state of the player base in your OP is a pretty big thing to forget, though.

We are also fully aware of these numbers.  We've been fully aware of the Steam charts and how inaccurate they are compared to http://hawken.herokuapp.com/ and https://www.playhawken.com/server-status/  We get it.  We know the numbers, and we've been aware of them.  This link you've posted is not a sudden revelation.

Quickest way to kill a community? Inhibit their ability to congregate.

Lets talk about the state of private servers.

Hey, c05, want to give us back the private servers on NA? It's a mystery why they're still up for EU but not for NA.

Ways to boost the playerbase:

patch the game

Edited by Silverfire, 22 November 2016 - 07:40 PM.

• DeeRax, Xer06siX and Zebanchi like this

lNM7VnC.png

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Hey, c05, want to give us back the private servers on NA? It's a mystery why they're still up for EU but not for NA.

And why the servers that ARE up are non-community ones that only the owners have passwords to.

Trade you the two that are up for two TPG servers.

• coldform, DeeRax, Shade__ and 1 other like this

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

And why the servers that ARE up are non-community ones that only the owners have passwords to.

Trade you the two that are up for two TPG servers.

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

Xero learned he is not HTC today.

Did I say Call Me Ishmael?

You should call me Luna.

Xer06siX

Xer06siX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

The way the game is built, I'm highly uncertain that a version of Hawken built without the servers they are 100% dependent on is unlikely to become a reality.  To me, it's a waste of time for the developers.  Why plan for your game to die like that? 

Ironically, IIRC, Hawken's servers weren't shut down when ADH finally went under. They just kind of....stayed up.

Hrmmmm....What happened to Hawken after ADH went under I wonder...Hmm who could possibly own it now?

Just here.                            

g44azur1mvxs41m4g.jpg

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Hrmmmm....What happened to Hawken after ADH went under I wonder...Hmm who could possibly own it now?

I'm not an idiot and insinuating that I am is a petty low blow.

ADH went under.  The servers stayed up for an indiscriminate amount of time. They could have been taken down at any moment given there were not developers, but weren't.  RLD purchased Hawken.  Unless I'm mistaken, Hawken was still up with no active developers, the time in between ADH and RLD.  I'm pretty sure capnjosh mentioned this either in Teamspeak or in a dev interview or something.

Edited by Silverfire, 22 November 2016 - 10:03 PM.

lNM7VnC.png

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

I'm not an idiot and insinuating that I am is a petty low blow.

ADH went under.  The servers stayed up for an indiscriminate amount of time. They could have been taken down at any moment given there were not developers, but weren't.  RLD purchased Hawken.  Unless I'm mistaken, Hawken was still up with no active developers, the time in between ADH and RLD.  I'm pretty sure capnjosh mentioned this either in Teamspeak or in a dev interview or something.

The servers stayed up as part of a joint agreement between ADH and RLD during the bankruptcy/purchasing process so as to not negatively impact the playerbase or Reloaded's profits.

• TheButtSatisfier likes this

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

The servers stayed up as part of a joint agreement between ADH and RLD during the bankruptcy/purchasing process so as to not negatively impact the playerbase or Reloaded's profits.

I did not know that, thanks for that info.

lNM7VnC.png

Xer06siX

Xer06siX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

All well and good, I'm sure the contract for the game had a section in there regarding how to handle the servers or sharing of content and such. These types of things have a contingency if the game tanks, the servers can remain online in order that the game retain some kind of value for resale.

Just here.                            

g44azur1mvxs41m4g.jpg

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

I understand the effort is for no gain amd probably wont be justifiable.
Id also like a standalone package that can allow private servers that just advertise themselves in the server browser. This could potentially allow for a mode where you could join just with a name and the private server unlocks everything. A few command switches added and you could* have something that can do it and justify it using the model of distributed private servers. Dont kill my dreams. It could happen...

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

f2caf22c6e8e8fd98887971099ba4390.gif

• DieselCat, DeeRax and Xer06siX like this

wischatesjesus

wischatesjesus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Response to a support ticket submitted inquiring about private servers:

Unfortunately there's some technical barriers to reinstating servers at this time. When we have more information, we will provide it. Unfortunately there is nothing more to share at this time.

It appears they are at least working on it.

• Xer06siX likes this

oFFOtRH.jpg

High Tier Cabal (Noun): A group of people who used to play Hawken.  

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

Did anyone point out that half (or more) of all Hawken PC players load the game without going through Steam?

Steam can't track how many players are on if they aren't first logged into Steam.

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Did anyone point out that half (or more) of all Hawken PC players load the game without going through Steam?
Steam can't track how many players are on if they aren't first logged into Steam.

False.
  • StubbornPuppet likes this

TheButtSatisfier

TheButtSatisfier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Let's skip the part where herokuapp and steamcharts use very different methodologies of estimating current player population:

If your statement were true then herokuapp would consistently show at least twice the amount of players that steamcharts does. It doesn't. Right now steamcharts shows ~130 players and herokuapp shows ~80.

• Amidatelion, Xer06siX and harmless_kittens like this

8) Tech in the streets, Brawler in the sheets (8

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

Let's skip the part where herokuapp and steamcharts use very different methodologies of estimating current player population:

If your statement were true then herokuapp would consistently show at least twice the amount of players that steamcharts does. It doesn't. Right now steamcharts shows ~130 players and herokuapp shows ~80.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.  There was a lot of talk and screenshots about how this was the case back when Hawken moved to Steam and people realized they could launch Hawken without Steam - so, either all of that was wrong back then, or something changed along the way.

Unless there is also something wrong with Herokuapp.  Can someone speak to exactly how it determines player count?  And how does Steam count players who aren't logged in to Steam?

I'm not trying to argue that I'm right, I'm probably wrong... I just want to know "how"?

• TheButtSatisfier and Xer06siX like this

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts
Stem counts people staring at the login screen or garage. Herokuapp counts people actually in servers.
  • Amidatelion and Xer06siX like this

Xer06siX

Xer06siX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Steam was just one chosen metric out of many available. They are all fine for what they are. I never loaded through steam, but until the Ascension patch. Sometime after that, the game got the Steam launch. I don't care what any of them say, when I log in every day, randomly it's very hard to find matches. Been like this for some time, such so that I prepare for that and take shots of Jameson.

Just here.                            

g44azur1mvxs41m4g.jpg

_incitatus

_incitatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

D: racist

So racist...

http://community-sit...arkest_Timeline
  • Xer06siX likes this

Xer06siX

Xer06siX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Your avatar made me turn my head upside down.

• _incitatus likes this

Just here.                            

g44azur1mvxs41m4g.jpg

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Your avatar made me turn my head upside down.

There is a hidden meaning there I hadn't noticed before.
  • _incitatus and Xer06siX like this

wmmoney.png

Xer06siX

Xer06siX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

There ya go. :-)

Just here.                            

g44azur1mvxs41m4g.jpg

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts
Fun fact: incitatus is the name of a Roman senator during the reign of caligula.

He was also a horse.
  • _incitatus, DeeRax and Xer06siX like this

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Fun fact: incitatus is the name of a Roman senator during the reign of caligula.

He was also a horse.

What's the significance of say a flag or banner upside down? Think about it, I want 800 words on my desk Monday morning Mr. Spicoli.
  • _incitatus and Xer06siX like this

wmmoney.png

Xer06siX

Xer06siX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

He was also a horse.

Caligula was a ruthless and unforgiving and jealous bastard.

Edited by Xer06siX, 26 November 2016 - 08:40 PM.

Just here.                            

g44azur1mvxs41m4g.jpg

_incitatus

_incitatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Caligula was a ruthless and unforgiving and jealous bastard.

But his horse was cool AF...

• Xer06siX likes this

_incitatus

_incitatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

This guy gets it...

DallasCreeper

DallasCreeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1135 posts

He was also a horse.

Fun fact: Caligula was crazy. He appointed his horse to the Roman senate

Edited by DallasCreeper, 28 November 2016 - 06:48 AM.

Spoiler

2XhpJes.png

Ridding the world of evil, one Berzerker at a time.

_incitatus

_incitatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Fun fact: Caligula was crazy. He appointed his horse to the Roman senate

Funnerer fact:  His treatment of Incitatus and his appointment to consul was done to mock and insult the other Senators...

• DeeRax and Xer06siX like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Community numbers, stats

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users