• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

TangledMantis

TangledMantis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Could we request a followup thread in another week or so regarding why this 'soft launch' went the way that it did. 

Reading through comments and announcements yesterday, I get the feeling that a lot of players had assumed the reason the update was delayed for so long was because of all the work that was going into it and the extensive testing that the client was going through. 

Was the cluster we dealt with yesterday expected? I read some comments implying that some of our community members we're involved with testing and the tone seems to convey that they too were surprised by all the issues and bugs that they had reported that went on un-fixed. 

Do the developers like Hawken? Do they play it and enjoy it? Or is it just another j-o-b to them? As I said some weeks ago, I had assumed that production was aware of the state of the community and that a proper release would be the safest way to go as Hawkens existing playerbase would pull a lot of weight in its promotion on-release. 

Bugs and problems can be fixed and polished. We were told that there would be a release by June, and suddenly we got one; it was called a soft-launch (without any warning ahead of time) and full of more bugs than an ant nest. 

Did yesterday go exactly as planned? Was the result the desired one? Maybe we could be warned next time that you just needed our help to resolve some final bugs before launch date. Is a soft launch a real thing or an invented term to shield from backlash? 

I think it would be good to get a statement on why May 24th, 2017 went the way it did after 4 years of waiting. It just reminded me of the Duke Nukem Forever launch, or when Jeep announced they would bring back the original cherokee, and instead they revealed a bubbly space pod. 

-Frustrated.

Update: Amid's post yesterday that I didnt read until after saying all this does clear up some of the questions. The TL;DR I got from it was "Hawken is undermanned, underfunded, and upper management are potatoes who think pushing a broken product is the best way to generate revenue. We're sorry everyone."

Edited by TangledMantis, 25 May 2017 - 10:46 AM.

• Meraple, claisolais, LaurenEmily and 4 others like this

Arkhaun

Arkhaun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

my only issues i found was that i had to pick a new callsign and start over, and i got chucked into a missale assault that used the tutorial training version of the map with  no silos.     i hope thats only the soft launch at work.

its feels like a properly edited version of the console hawken and just having updates and activity restarted helps the only issue that i ever found with this game, player count

SORRY CAPS

170323-R9tPRfBFIQ79.jpg

wischatesjesus

wischatesjesus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

my only issues i found was that i had to pick a new callsign and start over, and i got chucked into a missale assault that used the tutorial training version of the map with  no silos.     i hope thats only the soft launch at work.

You should have been able to link an legacy account by logging into it instead of picking a new name and starting over. If you submit a support ticket you can probably still get your original account linked to your steam.

Edited by wischatesjesus, 25 May 2017 - 07:50 AM.

• Arkhaun likes this

oFFOtRH.jpg

High Tier Cabal (Noun): A group of people who used to play Hawken.  

Etherealrich

Etherealrich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Id just like to ask the devs if (and this is 'if') the 'failed to find texture map / cooking error' bug is down to systems not being up to spec anymore (ie the update has simply meant many players with low spec systems cant run the game anymore) will this be address in an update? 

im just wondering whether to stick around as i really loved this game, or to find something else my system can run

cheers

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Id just like to ask the devs if (and this is 'if') the 'failed to find texture map / cooking error' bug is down to systems not being up to spec anymore (ie the update has simply meant many players with low spec systems cant run the game anymore) will this be address in an update? 

im just wondering whether to stick around as i really loved this game, or to find something else my system can run

cheers

No, it's just buggy as fuzz.

Submit a support ticket.

Arkhaun

Arkhaun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

i just submitted ticket just now, waiting game commenced

• Amidatelion likes this

SORRY CAPS

170323-R9tPRfBFIQ79.jpg

melk8381

melk8381

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I would just like voip working on my pc [win10]

FRX23

FRX23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Somes of my beloved and highly customized mechs are now stuck with the secondary weapon they had before the update with no way to change it (ex : eoc on pred, no more breacher  :pirate:  )

Edit : we can switch them by selecting mech in grid view and clicking on his weaps. I was confused by the fact that some mechs  only have 1 primary weap.

Edited by FRX23, 29 May 2017 - 08:20 AM.

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts
I think with the amount of work needed, the deadline and the limited resources, it had to be a soft launch, otherwise the hype would change to '2019 will be a great year for some game no one cares about'

Xer06siX

Xer06siX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

I welcome any changes to a game that I enjoy playing. It means it's still alive. Bravo.

Some things i have noticed, not all bad.

-Scrolling in mech selection menu in pre-match causes the background elements to also zoom in and out.

-Selecting a mech happens instantly, and caused me to appear in a mech that I didn't select several times. Please add "Confirmation" button.

-Mech loadouts between matches while already in a lobby is no longer there, forcing me to either make two mechs with different loadouts, or just deal with it. or leave the match to change a weapon and rejoin. I have noticed this A LOT between myself and other players.

-Chat box seems to be missing in post match, but I can still hear the chat SFX.

-I love that VoIP is back, grats to all!

-Noticeable improvement in framerates.

-When selecting a mech out of the "Web" view, it displays the default loadout and cosmetics of that mech. Going into grid view seems to fix this.

-I like the G2 additions, as of now i'm using G2 for one loadout, and G1 for another loadout config b/c garage is gone.

-At least in the A classes the movement feels crisp and responsive, I feel like mobility is slightly improved, grats.

-As a filmmaker, (Albeit amateur at this point) The new intro movie is awesome, nice work! I wish it would reflect more of the reality of the game, especially when it comes to the setting.

-I found that the "electric" chassis is very off putting. I honestly thought it was a glitch of some sort when I played against some mechs that had that additional cosmetic.

Of course most of these issues are UI related, I'm sure these are known issues, so take it as an echo chamber if anything.

Good to see the content improvements. As a level designer I am however disappointed that there are no new maps to enjoy. I hear tale that some previously known collision issues in certain maps, namely Wreckage, have not been addressed. Invisible collision hulls or block player sprites are OP, and easy to add, please do! I thoroughly enjoy everything else, love the game and love being back.

I love you guys.

o/

• Liederkranz likes this

Just here.                            

g44azur1mvxs41m4g.jpg

Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Could we request a followup thread in another week or so regarding why this 'soft launch' went the way that it did. 

Reading through comments and announcements yesterday, I get the feeling that a lot of players had assumed the reason the update was delayed for so long was because of all the work that was going into it and the extensive testing that the client was going through. 

Was the cluster we dealt with yesterday expected? I read some comments implying that some of our community members we're involved with testing and the tone seems to convey that they too were surprised by all the issues and bugs that they had reported that went on un-fixed. 

Do the developers like Hawken? Do they play it and enjoy it? Or is it just another j-o-b to them? As I said some weeks ago, I had assumed that production was aware of the state of the community and that a proper release would be the safest way to go as Hawkens existing playerbase would pull a lot of weight in its promotion on-release. 

Bugs and problems can be fixed and polished. We were told that there would be a release by June, and suddenly we got one; it was called a soft-launch (without any warning ahead of time) and full of more bugs than an ant nest. 

Did yesterday go exactly as planned? Was the result the desired one? Maybe we could be warned next time that you just needed our help to resolve some final bugs before launch date. Is a soft launch a real thing or an invented term to shield from backlash? 

I think it would be good to get a statement on why May 24th, 2017 went the way it did after 4 years of waiting. It just reminded me of the Duke Nukem Forever launch, or when Jeep announced they would bring back the original cherokee, and instead they revealed a bubbly space pod. 

-Frustrated.

Update: Amid's post yesterday that I didnt read until after saying all this does clear up some of the questions. The TL;DR I got from it was "Hawken is undermanned, underfunded, and upper management are potatoes who think pushing a broken product is the best way to generate revenue. We're sorry everyone."

I wouldn't put much thought into it - for a soft launch, this went pretty well. Day one bugs/issues are bound to happen. It would be another story worth explaining if the testers found and reported the bugs, but they were never patched. Or rather, I've seen some say they did patch them, but they somehow managed to come back with the soft launch.

At the very least, they did patch some of the critical bugs and crashes with the recent hotfix.

TpsOr7F.png

lo_spaghetto

lo_spaghetto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

1. I can't believe Reloaded took my idea on the EMP mech ability and ALSO put it on the EOC Raider. Not sure if they got that idea from me first, but seriously, why the EOC Raider?? I mean Jobs... EOC Raider is supposed to chase down some weak mechs and end them with a big load. Now Jobs can only walk around and wait for enemies to pop around the corner to pop the EMP ability. What's the difference between that and throwing a regular EMP on the ground?? I have a lot more to say, but mainly, I just don't understand the philosophy of Jobs.

2. All the maps now look darker and has more contrast in color. The way the mechs look just don't blend in with the environment anymore.

3. Why the electric skin?? I think this goes against Hawken design in general. Electric skin sticks out like a sore thumb.

CitkI9t.jpg

xbIxKeE.png?1

William_Adama

William_Adama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

are the servers new ? even after the patch sound is still buged I keep getting audio from the lobby ingame and no repair torch from tech etc, MMR seems to be glitched as well it hasn't moved up 00.01 yet even after games of having highest score by far, - make game last for 10 mins not 8 why was this changed, - chat box back not asking for a left kidney here, - the ribbons seem to be out of place in a mech game lol.

peachybutt

peachybutt

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Maybe it's just me, but while my framerate appears to be fine, the game still seems really laggy. Mechs jump around on the screen, the animation seems a little off, and it's just not as smooth as it used to be. I'm going to try a couple of different servers but it's noticeable and frustrating.

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

-Frustrated.

For a soft relaunch I don't think things as bad as they could be. The afterall isn't warhammer 40k deathwing. Now that's a great example of a rushed to market game that did a terrible launch.

wmmoney.png

OldKnockOut

OldKnockOut

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Bug?

I have not played Hawken in a few months.  I just logged in and my mech does not have the internals that it use to have on it.  It looks like I have the default internals.  When I go and try to buy an internal it tells me that I must first buy the mech.  Really?  I have all the mech prior to the soft launch. 

I don't like how slow the mechs move now, most the A mechs.

talon70

talon70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Thanks to all  devs and testers for the hard work put in.  I know this project has been a challenge for all.

I have  tried to be optimistic and positive and hope for the best for this game regarding the change. I will throw just a couple criticisms your  way nonetheless. It feels like a console because the poor server quality and  low weird tic rate. This game can never have a real competitive scene unless that changes (i feel everyone knows this but do not care).

The ui when you launch your mechs during a match sucks, I kept launching a mech  I  happen to scrolled across with the mouse by mistake. It is difficult to locate your mechs, it would be nice to be able to rearrange your garage and rename your axes. Get rid of the fuzzy electric skin please, it is really STUPID!!  What happened to the colors and why? The tiger striped skin is green not yellow. I am guessing this is a console to pc port issue. If it helps the game play smoother due to some type of optimization then I do not care.

Hit registration and smooth game play is paramount!  Does anyone really care about that?

The balance issues seem worse than ever and I do not know how that is possible. It KILLS new player retention

There are many other issues.  People have waited for years. There have been many  veteran players in  the console community  from its inception, you have have crazy bad assed beta testers and members of the pc community pre-testing pre-launch. Why not wait a little longer, do it correctly, spend at least some effort in marketing, and get some recognition in the gaming community ect? Maybe rhetorical but I truly think this game has never gotten a fair chance to get to be released properly.

Is it still in fuzzy beta / early access?  Why no email blast telling people to come back and play? That has to be a nearly zero cost marketing tool for you folks in your position. Why do you seem to ignore Steam and with the exception of 05, this  community here as well? Why? Wake the fuzz up and be proud of this game! It still has a huge potential. Only a  very small percentage of pilots will buy stuff they really dont need  just to show love for the game and to support the devs, especially ones that rarely even post on their own forums. I really think the entire community, especially devs,  need to engage new players and help educate them or it is really doomed the same retention issues again.  Whats the plan for this game?

Maybe  selling a premium/competitive  version or a yearly pilots license to support quality servers is still an option to cover the cost of high quality servers. At least there has to be a better way to make money other than $10 real money for a skin (or whatever). F2P model has not worked so why not try something different while you can.

Chaplain5

Chaplain5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Oh wow. So much new stuff. I don't know where to begin.

Well.

First off, so happy to finally see the new mechs! I feel like a boss stomping around in my shiny new 36M. :D Can't wait to buy the Ord when I earn enough HC.

Second, the new UI will take some getting used to, but I definitely approve. It's much easier on the eyes. 

Larger text and clearer symbols in the HUD are really nice! Thanks!

Third person in the pre-match area? Seems wierd at first, but I'm warming up to the idea. 

Somehow, you guys made the game look better and gave my baked potato machine a slight FPS boost! Would really like to see even further optimization in the future, but hey, I'm happy. :D

Thanks so much, team, for putting all kinds of work into this. Really. I hope Hawken gets profitable for you, because you guys deserve it.  :thumbsup:

This signature is under construct

DieselCat

DieselCat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

There are many bugs playtesters did not encounter prior to the patch that are being encountered now.  Likewise, there are also some bugs that were resolved during playtesting but returned after the patch.  Furthermore, there are some bugs that were encountered during playtesting and were not resolved.

Suffice to say, the devs know there are a lot of persistent bugs.

Sounds like the "Patch" needs a "Patch"

Just Relax....and take life one game at a time....

Don't run to your death....walk

th_Duckman.jpg   th_82c0a97c-98de-4aac-be47-05e5e099be80.

*+

DieselCat

DieselCat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Still can't log in using the link for the Legacy Account, will not accept my pasword....really sucks...have submitted a support ticket.  :mad:

Just Relax....and take life one game at a time....

Don't run to your death....walk

th_Duckman.jpg   th_82c0a97c-98de-4aac-be47-05e5e099be80.

*+

KejiGoto

KejiGoto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

I hate this UI so much...

It really feels like a console UI was just dumped onto the PC with little thought put into it. Really annoying that simply mousing over something changes the selection meaning I have to navigate my cursor around large sections of the screen in order to ensure I don't select something by mistake during matches. Even just a single click will also launch a mech and with the lack of being able to customize my mech order more than once I've launched the wrong mech by misclicking while searching for the right mech. 

Menus, especially anything revolving around the mechs themselves, are a nightmare to navigate. The mech web feels random and I always find myself searching for the mech I'm looking for. On top of that I can't switch between multiple versions of the same mech which makes keeping different loadouts a huge chore but a necessary chore since I can't change anything about mechs during matches. The grid is even worse somehow. Some mechs I own are grayed out like I don't actually own them but in reality I do. The version of the mech I play the most isn't the one on top either and again I can't change the order here. Having multiples of a mech just clutters this menu even further.

Having to repurchase internals I already owned because of minor tweaks made to these systems is annoying but whatever. However having to navigate through this mess to each specific mech to ensure they are equipped exactly how I want them as I've found certain internals swapped out or downgraded requiring me to repurchase the upgraded version just makes this change all the more frustrating.

In-game the menu gets even worse. Sometimes I can't get my garage to come up so I can change my mech selection because I opened the scoreboard to see who was in the server. You can't navigate back to the mech lineup at the end of the match to see what everyone looks like, check out taunts, and all that. Hell there isn't even an in-game chat window at the end of the match making communications all the harder. Having to open the console to read chat is really annoying. 

Gameplay wise I agree that things feel off in weird places. Judging distances feels off and I've noticed my air bursts have been way off from where they would normally be. I don't play a whole lot these days but I'm still on enough to know my grenade should be behaving. Even hit detection seems off at times as I know I'm blasting someone that is near death and nothing is happening.

The size of everything feels off too. Menus are super large (again giving it that console feel), my cockpit view seems pulled further in with the cockpit itself feeling larger. I never modified Hawken to go past the limitations (visually) set by the devs so I know it's not a case of that. It honestly feels like Hawken isn't being displayed in true 1080p but rather like a much lower resolution. Maybe this is just me but it just looks off.

• Brother3J likes this

TangledMantis

TangledMantis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

http://imgur.com/a/4XH82 

This is how my game runs. I absolutely cannot get it into fullscreen mode. Desktop is 1680x1050 and game runs at 1280x800 in the middle of it. If I change game resolution to 1680x1050 it just resamples that resolution into the 1280x800 box. 

Probably my potato video card.

EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

yay.  i only crashed and froze in the garage once last night--i am aware of folks that have extremely bad experiences with it.  advice (posted elsewhere, hope it gets read somewhere):  review the code or whatever the ADH devs did regarding adding legacy DX9 and some AMD adaptive software specific to AMD hardware.  the one-time-only load-in that featured that big green lizard-looking eyeball.  it immediately solved some similar and really devastating lockups and game aborts; there may be the same thing going on with DX11 here and caressable to fit it. 

gl/hf

Edited by EM1O, 28 May 2017 - 11:35 AM.

#:  chown -R us ./base

nRJ1C9n.png

"...oh great Itzamna, you shall know Us by the trail of Dead."

ROBOT120807

ROBOT120807

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Only issues I've got so far are: 
1. No garage in-game. Can't switch weapons during a match.
2. No garage in-between games. As above ,but with the added detriment of not being able to swap out internals either. 

3. Hit registration is wack right now. Timing on TOW missiles and leading targets is just every off compared to what it used to be, which wasn't great either to be fair. 
4. Can't seem to differentiate my loadouts for mechs that I own more than one of. Menu only provides one mech slot.  For example, have air dodge equipped in one but not the other, can't change either one, or the weapons equipped on either one. 
5. No chat between games or post-game. 
6. More of a personal gripe but not the biggest fan of the UI overhaul. It was fine before honestly. 

• MomOw likes this

avbot

avbot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi all, I didn't realise when I updated PC Hawken on Saturday, that I was NOT supposed to start a New Account, that I was supposed to use my old legacy Account to log on. I have submitted a support ticket but at this stage no answer.

Have many people had this issue, has anyone had it resolved? 

Edited by avbot, 28 May 2017 - 06:40 PM.

• Arkhaun likes this

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

Yes, via support tickets.

• avbot likes this

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Hi all, I didn't realise when I updated PC Hawken on Saturday, that I was NOT supposed to start a New Account, that I was supposed to use my old legacy Account to log on. I have submitted a support ticket but at this stage no answer.

Well it's a long weekend for U.S due to Memorial day so likely not an answer for a while.

• avbot likes this

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

Onstrava

Onstrava

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Here is my list of issues:

1. HIT BOX

That's it.

• ROBOT120807 likes this

Hold on to the things you care about most, even if others see it as insignificant..If you can't be true to yourself, are you really living?

W4znwFO.jpg1sHSjPn.png1sHSjPn.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngbANk8SP.jpgMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.png1sHSjPn.pngW4znwFO.jpg

Arkhaun

Arkhaun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

me still waiting too, for me i didnt see the option, it kinda chucked "create new callsign" at me as first prompt and that was it

still kicking myself for not snipping it

Edited by Arkhaun, 28 May 2017 - 09:43 PM.

• avbot likes this

SORRY CAPS

170323-R9tPRfBFIQ79.jpg

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

the G1 Assault still have the TOW, wasn't it supposed to have a Vulcan-XT instead, leaving the CRT-Recruit fill the slot ?

IRZUTYo.png

gXO9Nfd.pngmXasTsY.pngft4VqcE.png

KDR Member | Streamer | Priority Target II

Spoiler

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

the G1 Assault still have the TOW, wasn't it supposed to have a Vulcan-XT instead, leaving the CRT-Recruit fill the slot ?

Legacy accounts have access to a Legacy Assault because we'd fuzzing riot otherwise.

hellc9943

hellc9943

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Well it's a long weekend for U.S due to Memorial day so likely not an answer for a while.

Don't forget that it's Ramadan, too, so it might take some weeks. And then, Christmas is almost at the doorstep.

Festivals end, as festivals must

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users