Photo

PC servers to be shut down. January 2, 2018.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

Chaplain5

Chaplain5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Too bad. I would've liked to see Hawken come back from the dead... but we all knew inside that it wasn't going to happen.

Hey, I had some good experiences with the soft update. I saw the Ord coming, told myself I'd like the Ord, bought the Ord, and had a blast with it. :D

Ah well.

See ya.

• dorobo likes this

This signature is under construct

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

And I never got to even think about trying the Nief...

Would have been nice to be overpowered for at least a couple of matches.

• DieselCat and comic_sans like this

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

SHORTNAMEGAME

SHORTNAMEGAME

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

So, I just had to comment this. Damn... It's been a pretty good time the last years... Since Hawken started in 2012... I saw potential... I saw VR in 2014.... I saw dreams... I saw 505 killing this game, but most important I saw people fighting for this game... 

Well... what can you say... it's a good bye I guess?

Make the game open source atleast if you shut it down for consoles too... 

We got some great talents in here...

Do you guys remember Zamboni .... Well he had a dream too... 

The playerbase is small but with a big heart.

Well... I'm going to post a tutorial how to get a cheap ps4 and use m&k for it to enjoy Hawken on high standards. Thank me later...

Your, 

Shorty

Jabutosama

Jabutosama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I'm just blowing some steam with this text wall. Try to understand...

I was in middle school when one of my friends introduced this game called hawken. twas probaly it's launch in 2014's. I didn't pay attention to it, but about a year later and OH YEAS it was soo cool! Everything from huds, combat and mech movement, cockpit, terrain and sound effects... it was all just beautiful without any reason NOT to play. I wasn't active gamer back then but I played it for pretty much only because it was so cool. (i sucked fuzzy bunny:DD)

I purchased some credits, mastered reaper (in my own scale, at least), went trough multiple color scheme trends and concepted all kinds of metas, perfect strategies and such... (they were really really bad)

Eventually I even posted my mech concepts to this forum. They are still visible this day.

One day I realized there were like same ~50 players in servers. Because it is boring to die against same guy over and over without any chance of even scratch them, I just and abadoned the game over longer pace of time.

This year I rechecked it a bit. It was still as good as I remembered, but there were only the same 10 players or so. And of course these were the ultimate tryhard-veterans. What was I even expecting. I didn't continue playing because you need to be mashochistic to even try to compete with those guys.

And now, the end is here for PC.

I'm JUST SO ANGRY but in the same time I completely understand this... I would have done the same. In the end I'm just sad.

I think that the problem with the game's low playrate was solely that it had no content updates, like 3 mechs in total of 3 years? One map? Such leads only to player decline.

Pandabaron

Pandabaron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

gg's everyone. They were heady days while they lasted, I made some really good friends through hawken, and it's still going to be my favourite Arena shooter ever even though i can no longer play it. And what a community.. What a rush to play that berserker.. man.

We had a good run. Here's a picture of the KDR from sometime back in 2015. good times.

KDR.jpg?psid=1

Edited by Pandabaron, 17 October 2017 - 07:44 PM.

• dorobo, DerMax, Guns_N_Rozer and 5 others like this

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

...and let slip the dogs of war...

Twitter%201.jpg?psid=1Steam%202.jpg?psid=1Tube%203.jpg?psid=1Hawken%204.jpg?psid=1Twitch%205.jpg?psid=1

https://community.pl...l-hawken-corner- For your hawken musical needs

xehs

xehs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Played since beta. The graphics, attention to details, and just about everything about this game was a blast at the time, and still do, for me, after all these years. I will miss the great fun matches I had with all the players I played with especially the players who were regularly there in the game... ...it is regrettable that this amazing game could not sustain by itself and has to go now.

Just to make my feeling better before finally putting my personal favorite mech game of all time to rest... I'd like to point out the things that I personally liked and didn't like about the last patches... the things that I believe could have made difference and possibly made the game last little longer... Please bear this with me that this is thoroughly my personal opinion on PC version of the game.

Liked:

- All new mechs were great additions to the game... personally I thought only 36M needed additional changes to its balance against other mechs.

- The new map was okay for me but many players didn't like the map for the fact that it one-sidedly favored uber sniper players. I am only mentioning it here because it was finally the new addition to the game after so many years, and I personally liked to play on it for just this fact.

- Leaderboard. This is like, the greatest reward for the competitive players. What can I say more about this? The only trivial downside to it was that it only showed 8 players per category. I wish I could scroll down to see everyone.

Disliked:

- I personally think the CO-OP bot game or botstdm is the one that really killed the game. I understand that these servers allowed new players to play by themselves or whenever a player wanted to play alone for whatever reason. The problem was that it made more difficult to find the actual pvp team death matches. I had so many times I had to wait for a very long time or turn the game off immediately simply because I could not find the tdm server with players in my region. I never had this problem before the bot servers were added, and when these were absent I think it forced every players into the pvp tdm server which had kept more active servers with more players that ultimately helped everyone play longer hours.

- Removal of Sudden Death. I personally think it was this that made all the balanced matches (which are the most fun matches) all that exciting. One can say, the aim of every single matches was getting this, yet the removal of it really made the game simply less exciting.

- I personally liked the old GUI design better, but I got used to the current one and I am alright with it now except for the fact that I could no longer see the detailed profiles of the players I just played with such as their Kill/Death Ratio. These info helped me to learn more about the players that peaked my interest and made the game personally more immersive.

- Rebalance of the old mechs. I personally think the balance of old mechs were pretty well balanced and it served its purpose to make the matches entertaining and fun. So I thought the changes made to their stats in the last patches were somewhat disaster for players like me who had played for very long time. I wish only the new mechs were balanced to evenly match the old mechs.

- Server lock-out based on mmr. If there were more active pvp servers with more wide range of mmrs, this wouldn't have been a problem but unfortunately when the last few key players on Earth are all alone occupying each botstdm server. It was frustrating when I could not join the only active pvp tdm server with less than 3 players due to server lock-out. To get around this, I even thought about creating a new account and pretend to be a noob but I gave up on the idea because, first, it really isn't fun for me and, second, it always guaranteed extremely unbalanced matches making every single player in the same server emotional.

- +24 player team death matches. I believe there were once these big matches with very high score requirements. The highest one, if I remember right, had the score requirement of 1000. I think 1000 req. was overkill and too long but the one just below that, I believe it was somewhere between 100-500?, personally found very fun. I missed these big matches after the patches.

- Map rotation. Sometimes same maps were rotating in succession. Worse, some maps wouldn't even appear until after 10 matches or several hours of play. By this point, I tell myself that I would rather be more happy with fixed-order rotations.

I have some more but I will stop here. These are the ones that I believe were the most significant changes that affected me the most in the last patches, and the ones that I wish either stayed or done better but never removed... ...it can be viewed as somewhat out of blue to mention this but in life, I am a developer and, at the moment, am developing a 3d game (intended to be large and lasting project) that I always wanted to make ever since my childhood... ...as a game developer, I always tell myself from the experiences as a hardcore gamer to keep the good stuffs that were liked by the players forever and only add the new stuffs on every updates... this is based on my personal experience when I encountered a failure or witnessed a success in the online games I played... whenever the new wave of devs of these games (frequently after the studio is bought out or went defunct) removed the game mechanic or the feature that were somewhat popular and working well from players point of view, the game and its community become somewhat tainted or even I daresay cursed afterwards. "Cursed" how you'd like to interpret this word in this context is up to you..

Anyway, hope everyone finds a replacement to fill the absence of this great game. Wish you all well. Farewell.

• popeco likes this

Sorroritas

Sorroritas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

So this is it? After "2017 will be a great year for hawken"?

Cool story.

I stopped logging into Hawken and forums around May so forgive me my uninformedness... (and my general unwillingness to wade through the swamp of thousands of threads)

but are there any plans to reboot the ip on PC or create something similar to Hawken?

- R.I.P Hawken (PC), killer: Technical Debt

Treat them with honour, my Brothers.

Not because they will bring us victory this day,

but because their fate will one day be ours.

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

So this is it? After "2017 will be a great year for hawken"?

Cool story.

I stopped logging into Hawken and forums around May so forgive me my uninformedness... (and my general unwillingness to wade through the swamp of thousands of threads)

but are there any plans to reboot the ip on PC or create something similar to Hawken?

- R.I.P Hawken (PC), killer: Technical Debt

The plans are the same as always - "No real plan".

With this, I believe Hawken will die forever.  I never really thought this dev team actually cared about the game, only about getting the experience required and the engine so they can put it on their resumes for future venture capital development projects as a "proof of concept".

• DieselCat likes this

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

Sigh.  I guess I thought that having a deadline like this might inspire more people to get on and enjoy it while they can.  But, alas, it seems to have had the opposite effect.  I haven't found but a handful of TDM matches over the last 7 days in all my efforts to play.

Maybe people will come when the time draws closer.

angryhampster

angryhampster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Sigh.  I guess I thought that having a deadline like this might inspire more people to get on and enjoy it while they can.  But, alas, it seems to have had the opposite effect.  I haven't found but a handful of TDM matches over the last 7 days in all my efforts to play.

Maybe people will come when the time draws closer.

what do you mean people?

photo.jpg

im about to bust a cap in your mech.

i could only find co-op TDM.  i  stayed in a TDM lobby server for about 10 minutes, then quit.

RipperT

RipperT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Wow, I actually remembered my password... :ninja:

Just stopped by after a year or so of not reading the forum, just in time to say good-night, it seems.

Hawken was a great game for me as well. I played from alpha2 through to when Adhesive dropped the game. My favorite time frame of the game was during the closed beta up through the Ascension patch. After that I began to lose interest, but still spent a massive amount of my game hours playing this game. I always felt the that the game could have been bundled and sold as it was just prior to Ascension when I began to move away from Hawken, but what actually caused me to finally stop playing the game was the first update after Reloaded took over and certain video issues that had been fixed shortly before, reappeared and killed what interest I still had left in playing the game.

There were a large number of great players in this community over the years, and yes, it is sad to see the era end, but honestly, I am surprised that it lasted as long as it did. It was great fun to be a part of this group while I was still playing the game though. Good luck to all of you, and thanks for all the fish...

P.S. I still have it listed  as my favorite game on Steam.

• DieselCat likes this

Mackindale

Mackindale

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hawken is not over yet.

I am willing to purchase the full Hawken IP, and all assets.
I've created a thread to ensure that this does not go unseen.

https://community.pl...inue-its-glory/

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users