• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

devotion

devotion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

i think the broad region selection+visible location in name change is a good idea to stimulate activity with a lower player base, but at high mmrs server selection is not an option. at a certain point, the only way to find games is to queue into matchmaking, which assures you that you will be placed in either the highest mmr available server or as the fourth player in a game to allow it to launch; it has already happened today that my only option was to get matched into a 120-130 ping server on west.

i think having an advanced region selection option of "us east/west/central" only would be a nice option for those of us in the minority. i don't mind the inconvenience of long queues to find a game (if even), but alienating the higher level players and being forced into subpar game experiences seems avoidable and easily fixable.

the only other solution i have is to make hit confirmation clientside, but i don't really know a lot about that.

thanks for reading,

- devotion

edit: just want to be clear, i'm not advocating that we revert the change. i think it's a good, intelligent design overall and should be the primary region select option. it just had the unforeseen side effect of overly affecting people who can't use the server listing to manually join games.

Edited by devotion, 06 April 2015 - 10:16 PM.

• Nept, crockrocket, Rajitha and 1 other like this

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

I'd say maybe add an additional search functiony thing below the main one. Maybe add a set of boxes you can check before you queue, i.e. I'm okay with west and central servers, or just west etc.

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Stop using the queue then. You can literally pick ANY server to join regardless of region if you want to with the server browser and they show how many players are already in them. That hasn't gone anywhere. If anything, the changes today have made it easier and better to pick the closest server(s) to you.

And if you're being put in high MMR servers (got data to back that up?), it's because 1) that's just who happened to be online at the time in that region (it's a low population, remember?), or 2) you're also a high MMR player and we all know the queue is meant to prioritize putting us with similar MMR servers first. It's that whole "poor/good/best" experience thing. If that's not what happened, then refer back to #1.

This also is a step towards a final solution. Refinement and possible additional sorting options could still come.

Edited by nokari, 06 April 2015 - 06:43 PM.

• Rajitha likes this

hwk_sig_by_nokari-d8mkch4.png

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

And if you're being put in high MMR servers (got data to back that up?)

Lol

• nokari likes this

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Lol

lolwut

hwk_sig_by_nokari-d8mkch4.png

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Stop using the queue then. You can literally pick ANY server to join regardless of region if you want to with the server browser and they show how many players are already in them. That hasn't gone anywhere. If anything, the changes today have made it easier and better to pick the closest server(s) to you.

And if you're being put in high MMR servers (got data to back that up?), it's because 1) that's just who happened to be online at the time in that region (it's a low population, remember?), or 2) you're also a high MMR player and we all know the queue is meant to prioritize putting us with similar MMR servers first. It's that whole "poor/good/best" experience thing. If that's not what happened, then refer back to #1.

This also is a step towards a final solution. Refinement and possible additional sorting options could still come.

Users above 2600 can rarely use the server browser as literally no games show up for them.

devotion

devotion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

this suggestion is a "refinement" that i am proposing toward that final solution.

Edited by devotion, 06 April 2015 - 06:57 PM.

capnjosh

capnjosh

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts

Confirm if this is the core concern:

hen you're at a really high MMR, with the larger geographical region size, you have a higher chance of being put into a match with other high-MMR players, but if they have a good ping and you have a bad ping..... all things being equal, this is where a significant ping spread matters.

• devotion likes this

devotion

devotion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

that is very relevant and is very much in the spirit of what i'm saying, but my concern is moreso about the "feel" of the game. being forced into high ping makes everything immediately feel off and clunky; it feels bad to lose a degree of precision and responsiveness to your play because of how region selection is implemented. i often make very bold, risky plans under the assumption that i will be landing all of my shots or otherwise attempting some kind of tight, technically demanding play.

with higher pings, it's off putting to try to play more sensitive mechs who require more finesse. i played with 120-130 ping today and it was almost brutally punishing to play breacher predator; i watched my breacher rail not register hits against people i knew i had hit relative to where i saw their model at, and to a lesser degree i watched some of my sharpshooter shots get cheated. i ended up just jamming with incinerator and assault so i could just mash people with aoe and sustained damage to compensate for the slight accuracy differential. if no advanced region settings are incorporated (something as simple as adding east/west/central to the dropdown box would work), this kind of forced mech compensation might become commonplace just to remain competitive.

Anichkov3

Anichkov3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Confirm if this is the core concern:

hen you're at a really high MMR, with the larger geographical region size, you have a higher chance of being put into a match with other high-MMR players, but if they have a good ping and you have a bad ping..... all things being equal, this is where a significant ping spread matters.

That's it. This just also problem. Most of the high-level players do not want to play the sulfur where they bad ping.

http://www.hawken.ru- ???? ??????????? ?????????? ??????? (Website of the Russian community)

http://ru.hawken.wikia.com - ??????? ????????? ?? ???? (Russian Wikipedia HAWKEN)

http://vk.com/hawken - ???????? ??????????? ?????????? ??????? ? ?? (social network VK)

devotion

devotion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

And if you're being put in high MMR servers (got data to back that up?)

i'm beating a dead horse here, but i just found out about this which is pretty cool:

seHFPUR.png

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

I didn't even read this post, but yes.  So annoying switching from low(ish) to high pings.  Going to give me an aneurysm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users