• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Bad_BennyAK

Bad_BennyAK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

I'm playing devil's advocate for a friend, who prefers to play Sniper style,  and expressed discontent at the offerings for the Sharpshooter, and the Reaper.  he prefers more deliberate sniping style, with headshots,  and actually wanted a "limb" system for arm or leg damage, or internal damage from front or back side. 

As Hawken is a fast paced game,  NOT Mechwarrior's leisurly pace, I think he should be happy to just hit.   However, I can see his point,  perhaps a more powerful sniping cannon with a longer reload time, might be a good option?   He also wanted better viewing/ aiming options as a sniper.  

An idea I had to facilitate this, would be to add an optional consumable tower item,  or even perhaps make a LEFT arm  device,  a NON-weapon,  but rather a targeting optic,  that could allow extended radar,  thermal vision (ala Predator without cloaking), and improved shot accuracy.  

To compensate for this,  a longer reload time would probably be required.  

My question to the hawken community is,  Do you feel the SNIPING playing style is sufficiently allowed for in this game,  or could it use a few tweaks to enhance SNIPING playing style?  (Not that I care for that,  I dread seeing unskilled reapers or sharpshooters in a domination match!)  

Does the idea of  A:   More powerful sniper cannon with longer reload, or more heat,  and 

B:  A thermal optic / extended radar / enhanced device 

sound like a good idea?  Any others?

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

[/size]

...and let slip the dogs of war...

[/size]

Twitter%201.jpg?psid=1Steam%202.jpg?psid=1Tube%203.jpg?psid=1Hawken%204.jpg?psid=1Twitch%205.jpg?psid=1

[/size]

Spoiler
[/size]

EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

No.

SS is specifically a sniper. For snappy, hyperactive plinking get the SS "G2" model: Reaper, also a sniper.

If you want something that acts like the infrared vision stealth predator in the Arnold movie, I recommend the Predator. Nearly all the specifics (more or less) that you listed already exist in the Predator mech, other than scoping, which is the domain of a dedicated sniper mech.

• Elite_is_salty, Erzunterweltler, VYR3 and 3 others like this

#:  chown -R us ./base

nRJ1C9n.png

"...oh great Itzamna, you shall know Us by the trail of Dead."

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

No.

SS is specifically a sniper. For snappy, hyperactive plinking get the SS "G2" model: Reaper, also a sniper.

If you want something that acts like the infrared vision stealth predator in the Arnold movie, I recommend the Predator. Nearly all the specifics (more or less) that you listed already exist in the Predator mech, other than scoping, which is the domain of a dedicated sniper mech.

</thread>

• VYR3, Drrt4 and Jelooboi like this

The PC community is the red headed step child Reloaded never wanted but got saddled with when they married the PC community's mother.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shoutout to mah real Africans out there.

thedark20

thedark20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

No
No

And no.

Did i say no?

Let's be serious here: SS is already so powerful that can nearly one-shot light classes from any distance, just F+Slug+Sabot=50 armor-ish, that is equal to an another Slug shot. Snipers in HAWKEN are made to assasinate priority targets, such as Techs, or harrass heavier classes, or just give more damage to the team.

In conclusion, no headshots for HAWKEN.

No.

And yes, this is pretty much the thread end

Steel

Steel everywhere~

Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Is the sniping play style facilitated enough in this game? Yes.

Example, snipers on bazaar. Brutaaaal match last night against two SS's, sniper fire from multiple directions is painful on that map  :sleep:

• KOS_Baconman and thedark20 like this

No crew

thedark20

thedark20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Is the sniping play style facilitated enough in this game? Yes.

Example, snipers on bazaar. Brutaaaal match last night against two SS's, sniper fire from multiple directions is painful on that map  :sleep:

Don't forget Facility, Facility is love, and Bunker is life

Steel

Steel everywhere~

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

that's a badass sniper u described there.. I bet most of the ss players would want these things but should they get them?

Robocop_cac.jpg

• thedark20 likes this

WastingTime

WastingTime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

I do like the idea of damage based on where you hit.  Might be hard to code especially with splash/explosive damage
As an extension of this could be if one arm takes too much damage it falls off & you lose the weapon until you repair/respawn.  This might be a bit much for the current meta though

• Bad_BennyAK likes this

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time

RhyKoSin

RhyKoSin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

People always seem to get hard-ons for sniping. If there's not even something like rifle-sway or bullet physics, then there's not too much skill involved where it deserves such a high reward as getting a big damage boost or crippling mechs.

KOS_Baconman

KOS_Baconman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

that's a badass sniper u described there.. I bet most of the ss players would want these things but should they get them?

Robocop_cac.jpg

is that mr freeze from that really crappy batman&robin movie?

What if we just give some bacon paint, some bacon holo-emotes and change Bunker from snow to bacon.

This way, everyone will be happy.

What you should really do, is replace your parts with bacon, so you can cook games and eat bacon

Obviously the wallpaper would be cooler if bacon was incorporated into it.

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

is that mr freeze from that really crappy batman&robin movie?

Are you being funny or have you never seen Robocop before?

Honest question.

KOS_Baconman

KOS_Baconman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Are you being funny or have you never seen Robocop before?

Honest question.

I havent seen either robocop before unfortunately

and tell me he doesnt resemble this guy at all (minus the blue everything)

bat1liner-sizeguncounts.jpg

Edited by BaconOverLord, 10 April 2015 - 10:26 AM.

What if we just give some bacon paint, some bacon holo-emotes and change Bunker from snow to bacon.

This way, everyone will be happy.

What you should really do, is replace your parts with bacon, so you can cook games and eat bacon

Obviously the wallpaper would be cooler if bacon was incorporated into it.

thedark20

thedark20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Robocop_cac.jpg

Or maybe they want thees

Serious-democracy.jpg

Steel

Steel everywhere~

bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Pitty the poor sharpshooter, it's been nerfed multiple times throughout Hawken's lifetime. :tongue:

(And no, I vote against locational damage for a few reasons, many of which have been discussed in earlier threads) :smile:

Test dummy for science, Follower of Wheatons Law, usually hanging around #hawkenscrim and #spawn, occasional poster of YouTube videos and streaming.  Can also be found on twitter

cs5t805.png?2

RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

People always seem to get hard-ons for sniping. If there's not even something like rifle-sway or bullet physics, then there's not too much skill involved where it deserves such a high reward as getting a big damage boost or crippling mechs.

Oh you mean that mech with one of the lowest DPS that the majority of people suck at playing?

Edited by RedVan, 10 April 2015 - 04:10 PM.

• EM1O likes this

Bad_BennyAK

Bad_BennyAK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

For the record,  I agree with you all!   I think the sharpshooter is FINE,  And I've only recently been messing around with macros, and my DPI clutch.  

Sniping is NOT my playing style of choice for Hawken, and I feel once a sniper is comfortable with a DPI clutch or toggle, he's set.  

My buddy is just a whiner.  The limb damage idea,  well,  I think Hawken moves TOO fast for that to be a particularly relevant concept,  although it COULD be a fun  game dynamic to frustrate players,  perhaps an additional difficulty level.

Just to test his "complaints" out,  I downloaded and installed MechWarrior Online,  a game that has both of these ideas.   Well,  just started to get into it really.   What hit me the hardest is,  what a WAY different animal MWO is,  compared to Hawken.   I'm not gonna knock MWO, just because it's different,  and I haven't played it much,  but it feels like your piloting a slow moving bulldozer or grader,  versus the Porsche or Lamborghini dynamics of Class A mechs, even B's and C's feel  edgy and fast compared to MWO.  

Just thought I'd throw it out there, get some feedback.

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

[/size]

[/size]

Twitter%201.jpg?psid=1Steam%202.jpg?psid=1Tube%203.jpg?psid=1Hawken%204.jpg?psid=1Twitch%205.jpg?psid=1

[/size]

Spoiler
[/size]

RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Front Mission Evolved was more similar to Hawken than MWO, and had localized damage. Combat boiled down to shooting the enemies legs so they couldn't move (which was easy) thus making your targets sitting ducks. Don't get me wrong, it was fun to gimp people and watch them struggle, but... It made gameplay kinda dumb at the same time. Why make a faster paced mech game if you can just slow it down by shooting out the legs.

Edited by RedVan, 10 April 2015 - 06:58 PM.

• Upright_6 likes this

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

As far as MWO is concerned, I've never played it. Thought about it, though, but my only major MW experience was Vengeance, and while I loved that game, as an online game I'm less willing to try it out.

Jerv

Jerv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

As far as MWO is concerned, I've never played it. Thought about it, though, but my only major MW experience was Vengeance, and while I loved that game, as an online game I'm less willing to try it out.

Having played MW2, MW3, MW4, and the pod/cockpit-based Virtual World in both 3.x and Tesla/Tesla II pods, I have to say that it's far better against human opponents. MWO is quite different from any of those though, so basing your opinion of MWO of your experience with Vengeance is almost like basing your opinion of Hawken on the BattleTech tabletop game. Trust me, give it a try, if for no reason other than to broaden your knowledge. Educating yourself is never a bad thing!

Front Mission Evolved was more similar to Hawken than MWO, and had localized damage. Combat boiled down to shooting the enemies legs so they couldn't move (which was easy) thus making your targets sitting ducks. Don't get me wrong, it was fun to gimp people and watch them struggle, but... It made gameplay kinda dumb at the same time. Why make a faster paced mech game if you can just slow it down by shooting out the legs.

My buddy is just a whiner.  The limb damage idea,  well,  I think Hawken moves TOO fast for that to be a particularly relevant concept,  although it COULD be a fun  game dynamic to frustrate players,  perhaps an additional difficulty level.

Just to test his "complaints" out,  I downloaded and installed MechWarrior Online,  a game that has both of these ideas.   Well,  just started to get into it really.   What hit me the hardest is,  what a WAY different animal MWO is,  compared to Hawken.   I'm not gonna knock MWO, just because it's different,  and I haven't played it much,  but it feels like your piloting a slow moving bulldozer or grader,  versus the Porsche or Lamborghini dynamics of Class A mechs, even B's and C's feel  edgy and fast compared to MWO.  

Just thought I'd throw it out there, get some feedback.

Let me hit these both in one swing. Front Mission Evolved is a weird beast. I watched some video of it, and the movement was... wonky. The pacing is weird, they handle distance/speed in ways that make Escher prints seem sensible, and they barely move their overly thick legs; they skate and slide around more than they walk/run. That makes the legs easy targets compared to Hawken or MWO.

Another thing is that both legs are one hit location in FME while MWO has the mechs legs independent of each other; gimp one leg in MWO and the mech is still mobile, albeit at reduced speed. Well, assuming you live that long. See, the legs are tough enough that they take a bit of shooting to disable, and by that time, you may lose a few weapons (or your entire torso, ending your battle) as they decide to shoot you somewhere less heavily armored than the legs. Each arm is also a separate location, and weapons can also be mounted in both sides of the torso. Shooting legs in MWO is thus less viable than in FME simply because they do so many things differently, and Hawken does things differently from either of them.

Unlike Hawken or FME, the speed disparity between Lights and Assaults in MWO is a bit more extreme. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but FME seems pretty homogenized as far as speed goes, aside from the massive speed difference between skating and walking. In Hawken, the average C-class can boost/run faster than the average A-class can walk, so there is a bit of overlap in speed profiles. That isn't even close to true in MWO though. Imagine a Scout with the Raider's Blitz ability permanently on, or the difference between a skating Wanzer and a walking one in FME and you start to get in the ballpark.

Of course, the armor disparity is similar. While a Hawken C-class has about double the total HP of an A-class, the average Assault mech in MWO has more armor on one leg than most Lights can mount on their entire chassis. But Assaults turn so slowly that a Light can literally run circles around them; Assaults rely on either killing Lights at long range, or having teammates around to scrape off the bogies because, pilot skills being equal, they cannot defend themselves against a Light that makes it to 50m range. At least in Hawken, a skilled pilot in a C-class has a chance against a Scout, but in MWO, speed kills.

All that said, let us rise above the details and look at the meta-meta. They do so many things differently from one another that I feel it a bit of a stretch to even put them in the same genre, though if Nickelback can be considered "Heavy Metal", I suppose it's possible. MWO is more about tactics and strategy than about reflexes, Hawken is a visceral speedfest, and Front Line Evolved was an RPG company trying to make a mech-shooter. In many ways, MWO and Hawken are polar opposites with FME in between.

So, do hit locations have a place in Hawken? Well, I think it's a bit more complex than a simple visceral response and deserves a more detailed responsethan a pithy one-liner. Besides, Benny asked for feedback, so I may as well deliver!

I personally say no for a couple of reasons;

1) The fast pace is what sets Hawken apart from it's peers, and adding too much complexity to the battlefield would detract from that. If you want to add complexity to Hawken, do it in the garage by adding mech and pilot options, but keep the actual gameplay the simple zoom-zoom-pewpewpewBLAM!!! that has drawn people in thus far.

2) It'd be such a fundamental shift that it'd be a real time-drain to code; time that could be spent doing any of the other things on the dev's already-long to-do list. I don't think keeping things the way they are is bad enough to fix what isn't broken.

But that's just my opinion.

Edited by Jerv, 11 April 2015 - 10:55 AM.

• M4st0d0n likes this

Still recovering from a neurological incident, spent a couple months learning how to walk without a cane,

figured I'd try a fast-paced game to see if I could get my reflexes back to where they were.

Garage:

A - Infiltrator, Reaper, Technician, Scout

B - Assault (x2), Predator, Raider

C - Brawler, Vanguard, Incinerator

Bad_BennyAK

Bad_BennyAK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Agreed.  After I drive a Ferrari,  the Off Road capabilities and ground clearance of your Range Rover do not impress me. 

• Jerv likes this

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

[/size]

[/size]

[/size]

Spoiler
[/size]

M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

At this point we can all agree powershot is the lazy no code answer they found for lack of headshot. In my wet dreams Hawken is with damage localization, no magic repair, and friendly fire. Of course it's too late to ask a radical shift from what the game has become. But still.

I hope my tactical needs will one day be fullfilled with Siege 2.0, or a more decent spawn system for TDM. Because CQC robot dance simulator is right now the only thing this game has.

Volgraza

Volgraza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

I think A Higher power longer reload time thermal vision scoped Sniper rifle would be awesome. Class Heavy. Turret Mode Sniper. Gain thermal vision. Mobility drops significantly. Introduce a new item. EMP proxy Mine: area of effect small damage shuts systems down for a few seconds and De cloaks Predz and infils Mines could be Cloaked as well. 

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

At this point we can all agree powershot is the lazy no code answer they found for lack of headshot. In my wet dreams Hawken is with damage localization, no magic repair, and friendly fire. Of course it's too late to ask a radical shift from what the game has become. But still.

I hope my tactical needs will one day be fullfilled with Siege 2.0, or a more decent spawn system for TDM. Because CQC robot dance simulator is right now the only thing this game has.

No, we cannot. One shot kills were specifically not included in Hawken as a design choice. Headshots fall into this category.

Furthermore, if you want high caliber sniping, I suggest you watch Rei and devotions streams.

M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

No, we cannot. One shot kills were specifically not included in Hawken as a design choice. Headshots fall into this category.

Furthermore, if you want high caliber sniping, I suggest you watch Rei and devotions streams.

I'm pretty sure powershot on SS was able to one shot when they released it.

Edit : That's entirely not the point of my post anyway. I know it's far likely not possible to get damage localization at this point.

Edited by M4st0d0n, 17 April 2015 - 01:44 PM.

Mergaz

Mergaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

There is a method that would be a projectile pressure system to the player accumulate charges gradually increase the damage for a powershot ... I loved it in Tera. Damage modules would only be implemented if there were a new game mode. In the current Hawken is a waste of time want to implement any mechanics of module damage such as the fast pace would decrease the sighting time at specific locations.

Edited by Mergaz, 17 April 2015 - 04:34 PM.

VYR3

VYR3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

I have to say no. there shouldnt be a mech that can one hit a light class, and there are three in the game that come too close for comfort, adding headshot boxes would ruin A classes.

I've been sniping in enough games that I'll put a round into your head and you're gone at any range. therefore I would have a serious advantage over A classes, I would never have a challenge from them again because I could sit on the other side of the map and destroy all the little scout players no matter what.

I dont want any kind of buff to the mech that has basically the fastest time to kill in the game.

I cant even play SS without feeling cheesy. which is why I stopped playing it. at least with g2 raider and Predator you have to get upclose to drop mechs, SS has no range limit and is ridiculously easy to use for killing people.

and dont bother with the stat page for me and the SS, my old CS:GO account an PS2 account from a few years ago reflect my capabilities. AWP/RAMs 50. ;)

*strokes E-peen*  

back on topic: while I would really enjoy more options for the SS and Reaper, I dont want it to get any changes until the damage is balanced better. Its an incredibly powerful mech at any range in the hands of a high aim player, give it a rework and THEN we can talk about some QoL for the SS/Reaper.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Snipers, Sniping, Reaper, Sharpshooter, Sabot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users