HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Special Equipment Suggestions Compendium

• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

#61 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted February 08 2012 - 06:14 AM

Add this defensive concept to the basquet if you want. Posted it on the other thread so I do copy&paste it on here as well:

What if your mech could emit an strong EMP burst in that last moment just before you get hit by that or those guided missiles_.

This EMP burst could drain almost all your energy in a hit -> This way these do not end up being too abused by pilots.

It should inherently has short range but with a high damage value (this in order to disable the guidance system of incomings in the last moment).

Subsequently, would be interesting to make this as one pretty risky tactic. Meaning with this that, if the pilot mess its timing up, then his EMP counter meassure gets useless ( plus the energy drain penalty ) and exposing his butt to those pesky incmoings he wants to disable on the go.

Thoughts_ :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#62 Grayark

Grayark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted February 08 2012 - 08:46 AM

My issue with EMP's is that they are notoriously difficult to direct. If someone is using an EMP devise it will have an omni directional field equivalent to the power of the EMP. hence this would also include the mech setting off the EMP.
A bit counterproductive_

#63 Grayark

Grayark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted February 08 2012 - 08:54 AM

My two bits...
How about having the ability to initiate a mass overload function only available when the Mech is close to death:

The Mech has taken too much damage to remain effectively functional on the field for much longer. The pilot triggers the mass overload function which triggers a sequence of coolant ejection and all other power draining systems shutdowns. The mech will channel all power except acceleration to the power core and will detonate in a predetermined time.

He will then proceed to find the nearest enemy formation and attempt to detonate his mech to maximum effect.
The detonation itself need not destroy enemy mechs completely but could cause a range of negative effects, eg; randomized malfunctions to unusable secondary weapons maybe for that round maybe_

any thoughts

#64 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted February 10 2012 - 10:58 AM

Yep, that would be the ablity to self-destruct your mech. We discussed on this in the past. :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#65 Grayark

Grayark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted February 10 2012 - 11:39 AM

damn... thats what I get for joining late!

lol
oh well

#66 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted February 10 2012 - 11:43 AM

Hahah, no prob man :D

Although .. learn the power of the search function upon a time ;)

Posted Image

#67 Jyork

Jyork

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted February 11 2012 - 05:42 PM

I read through the first post of the top ideas.
My suggestions are related, but not exactly the same.

-extra camera- I like the idea of team cameras. Being able to see what your buddies are up to. Maybe having one invisible teammate running around as a spy, while you get into sniping position. Similar to the spycam idea though.

-overheat countermeasure- There have been ideas thrown around as how to take your enemies weapons offline. Since the weapons in the game are based off of heat, why not have the option to allow your mech to overheat, disabling you from using your weapons for a certain amount of time, but also disabling any other mechs weapons close by to you, for a shorter period of time. It would be a last resort type thing, since your opponent would be able to use his or her weapons before you regained yours. It would give you time to run away or wait for your teammates to drop by, but that would be it. You would still be able to move, just not shoot for a while, and the enemy could chase you, and once their weapons cooled down, shoot you.
^sorry that's so long^

-call-down repairs- similar to repair bots, but you would call down a "drop" from the ship floating above the map, to make quick repairs. Enemies would be able to see where the drop would land, however, so you better get fixed fast.
May not count as a Special Equipment suggestions, however...

I've tried to read through the previous posts, so apologies if there are repeats.
Just a thought...

#68 Naraklok

Naraklok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted February 11 2012 - 05:58 PM

I've never actually put any input into this as others have discussed; but the ability to self-destruct would be cool. Though, I would think some people may abuse this if there is no penalty for doing so. For example your about to be eliminated by an enemy and you self-destruct in fear of being killed. Relinquishing them the kill.

In my eyes the self-destruct feature would be more kamikaze so to speak. Run into enemy forces and blow up...or depending upon future game modes destroying structures.
Naraklok

#69 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted February 11 2012 - 07:03 PM

Naraklok said:

...Though, I would think some people may abuse this if there is no penalty for doing so. For example your about to be eliminated by an enemy and you self-destruct in fear of being killed. Relinquishing them the kill.

In my eyes the self-destruct feature would be more kamikaze so to speak. Run into enemy forces and blow up...or depending upon future game modes destroying structures.

Very good point and, yep, good point as well. :D

Posted Image

#70 Fawken

Fawken

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted February 11 2012 - 07:41 PM

different thrusters_

skimming: a thruster that gives bugger all 'lift' but makes you 'skim' across the ground at great speed. quicker recharge/less cost than the jump one.

jump: a thruster that doesn't allow much directional change but with more power allowing you to do huge "jumps" ie, covering more distance than the "flying" thruster.

flying: slower, not as long as jump/skimming but allows full flight in any direction.
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul.

#71 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted February 13 2012 - 08:19 AM

On self-destructs.. these would require of a countdown. This way these could be one more valid tactical option in the game and, in the same way, players would not abuse so much of 'em.

Posted Image

#72 phaXion

phaXion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted February 13 2012 - 01:35 PM

A countdown doesn't matter when a mech comes crashing downs unto your face and sticks close to you. I guess this would lure too much trolls into just going kamikaza mode.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

#73 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted February 13 2012 - 02:10 PM

So what you'd suggest would be an insta-selfdestruct instead.

Posted Image

#74 Naraklok

Naraklok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted February 13 2012 - 05:27 PM

A countdown would be nice. Also perhaps a cancellation feature.  

In case I decide on living and refraining from self-destruction.
Naraklok

#75 FlyorDie

FlyorDie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted February 13 2012 - 06:45 PM

Wouldn't adding cancelations just encourage abuse of self-destructing_

#76 Naraklok

Naraklok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted February 13 2012 - 07:20 PM

Not necessarily. But that's a thought to consider.
Naraklok

#77 Fawken

Fawken

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted February 13 2012 - 07:42 PM

no cancellations, that would make it retarded.

"hmm, wonder if he's around this corner, suicide on, wait 10, 9, 8, 7 go now, 6, 5, nope, he's not cancel"

would be pointless.

it definitely should not be instant

i would say 10 seconds... maybe more.
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul.

#78 phaXion

phaXion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted February 13 2012 - 10:56 PM

I'd say no self destruction at all  :P
Never really seen it working in the first place, in no game whatsoever.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

#79 Naraklok

Naraklok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted February 13 2012 - 11:30 PM

I wouldn't be upset if it weren't implemented.

Doesn't make a difference to me honestly.
Naraklok

#80 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted February 14 2012 - 02:23 AM

Fly or Die said:

Wouldn't adding cancelations just encourage abuse of self-destructing_

No, if course it would not.

Imagine for a moment that you activate it by accident in the middle of a cool battle.

Without any cancellation at hand, that could be something like...:

3 - Hey.. wtf!
2 - Nooooooo!
1 - No no no no no!!
0 - Boum!-
Nice... shit happens! :P

I'm not saying self-destructs should go nuclear. From a tactical stand point, I think that, well balanced, it would also be a good addition for the game.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users