HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Earn hawken points faster.

Game Beta Preview

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#41 Mothanos

Mothanos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 07:06 AM

Use the search next time, we have around 10 more of these posts.
Work a little harder for your mech or unlocks.

Or buy them for a few euro to support the dev's if your vieuw is that it takes to long.
You got options bro, your choice to use them _

#42 deusex2

deusex2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 08:07 AM

I do believe we're earning too much do while earning too little credits.
   CRITICAL ASSIST

View PostDaPheel, on December 03 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

Oh, man.... Deus rants make everything better...
   B-listers, screenshots for the Grand kids......

#43 Viconaut

Viconaut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted January 27 2013 - 12:51 AM

View PostNeverWas, on December 14 2012 - 05:13 AM, said:

take league of legends as an example, you need an average of 45 games to unlock 1 champion without spending money on boosters.

and an average game spans about 30 minutes, that's 20+ hours of game play for 1 champion. (and i'm being extremely linen with the game count)

there are currently 102 champions in the pool, excluding some stat improvements we called 'runes' which cost additional in game points.

some says the company will fail because the game is such a grind fest, today the highest live stream viewer they have is 25k, 100k if there's a tournament.

hawken being grindy _ think again.

P/s: an average point one game will get you is 120 points, +150 for one game if you have the daily bonus, one champion costs you 6300 points, go figures.
do note that the newer people getting into Hawken are most likely leaning more towards FPS minded and not so much RPG, theyre used to being able to check out a new weapon or at least a weapon addon after a handful of matches. us hybrids understand that hawken's currency rate is fine, but its a bigger pill for them to swallow :P
as for the new comers, there are only 11 pre built mechs atm, and once you unlock them  they are yours forever. considering that they are entire fully fitted mechs makes the price acceptable. not to mention, after those 11 there wouldn't be much to work for if you could unlock them any faster than already set

Edited by Viconaut, January 27 2013 - 12:53 AM.

#44 Viconaut

Viconaut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted January 27 2013 - 12:55 AM

also for newcomers, the devs want you spending money on something when you WANT it, not so much a buy and browse game type. so spend your money wisely and make sure you want that something before you pay for it. theres a lot of info out there on everything, so dont go spending your long earned cash on a weapon just to "check it out" if you end up not liking it youre still going to be stuck with it.

Make good use of the test drive options when they come up to check out weapon combos/types as well as the overall mech abilities themselves

Edited by Viconaut, January 27 2013 - 12:58 AM.

#45 Viconaut

Viconaut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted January 27 2013 - 05:15 AM

View PostSookie, on December 14 2012 - 08:27 AM, said:

Coming from an older gamer with a lot going on in my life, 7-10 hours of gaming in a week has now become something of a holy grail.

I used to stay up all night and work days then right back to it.  Now my wife, my dog, a baby on the way, job, college (yes I am retraining) and any downtime eat away at my precious game time until it's a vague memory.  

So for someone like me who is stretched on all fronts including money yes, 7-10 hours feels like a lifetime.  I am neither going to reap the rewards of paying for anything with real cash or unlock anything to keep up with the curve.
best part about hawken is that there doesnt really need to be a curve, you can smash pilots from day one in the starter mech if your fingers will allow it. other than that, all i can say is even with little to no time, if you keep it up, eventually you will still get whatever you want

#46 Rei

Rei

Hammertime!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationMore like... HammeredTime

Posted January 27 2013 - 05:19 AM

you know, there is an edit button...

As for this topic. The hc gain is fast enough.
!HAMMERTIME
~「TWITTER」~「STREAM」~「STREAMING GUIDE」~ Sharpshooter is fair and balanced
Posted Image

#47 Lloyd_Asplund

Lloyd_Asplund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted January 27 2013 - 09:14 AM

I guess, say, halving the price of all items and adding the ability to spend Hawken points on body-parts would be quite nice. Either that or Xp to Hawken Point conversions
"That contradiction might kill you one day."

#48 Snacuum

Snacuum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted January 27 2013 - 07:23 PM

What do you think this tells you about the state of the hc system_

#49 Taw_Archangel

Taw_Archangel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted January 27 2013 - 08:36 PM

Here is the deal. The Devs need to inspire people to buy their mechs. If it's to easy to get them, no good, if it's to long_ They lose their player base. You start with 5k credits now anyway so this issue for new players has been resolved.
I am known as a few names. Sicarius_X, PilotError, and Archangel. Also, C-class master race ;)
Posted Image

#50 Keiichi81

Keiichi81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted January 27 2013 - 09:09 PM

I average about 200 Hawken Points per game of Siege (100 if my team sucks balls and we get stomped, 300 if we're bringing our A game and win). A round of Siege usually lasts between 15-20 minutes, so that's about 3 rounds per hour. A new mech costs 6410 HP, a new item costs 3845 and a new internal costs 2563. That means I would need to play an average of 32 games of Siege to unlock a new mech, 19 games to unlock a new item or 13 games to unlock a new internal. At ~20 minutes per game, I'm looking at 10 1/2 hours for a new mech, 6 1/3 hours for a new item and 4 1/3 hours for a new internal.

While I feel that the cost and time to unlock a new mech is fair, the items and internals seem unreasonable. The former because items like the Radar Scrambler, Portable Scanner, Detonator and EMP are amazing game-changers that have no counter unless you're willing to spend Meteor Credits on Countermeasures, so I don't feel new players should be forced to put in over 6 hours of game time just to unlock something that puts them on an equal playing field as their higher level competition, and the later because internals are for the most part worthless and the tiny benefit you get for equiping them hardly seems worth over 4 hours of grinding just so you can have +3% damage at the cost of -2% armor or -0.5 sec overheat recovery time at the expense of +5% heat generation.

I'd say items should be no more than 2,500 HP and internals no more than 1,250; enough to make you work a little bit but not enough to make you feel like you're working a second job just to get some internal that makes no perceivable difference.

Edited by Keiichi81, January 27 2013 - 09:16 PM.

#51 Rei

Rei

Hammertime!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationMore like... HammeredTime

Posted January 28 2013 - 03:57 AM

Damn, do games of Siege really last that long now_ Back when I played during the first open beta patch they only lasted 6-10 minutes and that's how I farmed a ton of HC.
!HAMMERTIME
~「TWITTER」~「STREAM」~「STREAMING GUIDE」~ Sharpshooter is fair and balanced
Posted Image

#52 Keiichi81

Keiichi81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted January 28 2013 - 08:05 AM

Sometimes less if the teams are unbalanced and one side gets dominated. Sometimes much more if the teams are of even skill levels and get deadlocked. I don't think any game of Siege could last as little as 6 minutes now though, unless one team was making no effort at all. They increased the amount of base armor from 2000 to 3000 and increased the amount of EU required to launch from 600 to 800, so the shortest round you're probably going to see is around 10 minutes for an absolute slaughter. I've had rounds last upwards of 40 minutes when both teams were evenly matched, but ~20 seems to be the average.

Edited by Keiichi81, January 28 2013 - 08:06 AM.

#53 Sumpskildpadde89

Sumpskildpadde89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted January 28 2013 - 08:43 AM

I don't think the HC gain should be any faster. It's a free to play game with microtransactions. If the HC gain was any faster there wouldn't be much point in spending real world money on this game would there_. If so the game wouldn't make any money, thus the game would seize to excist. The HC gain has to be just slow enough for you to consider spending money on the game. Anything else wouldn't make any sense.

#54 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted January 29 2013 - 03:38 PM

View PostSnacuum, on January 27 2013 - 07:23 PM, said:

What do you think this tells you about the state of the hc system_
Or, what does this tell you about the state of gaming today_  That it caters too much to the Veruca Salt's of the world who have no patience and want all the things now, so if something isn't handed to them on a silver platter, they complain_

Since open beta, I usually play a few matches a night, that's usually all I have available to give to playing Hawken.

I have a 25 scout and sharpie (both with internals, items and prestige weapons unlocked), a Rocketeer (accidentally bought at the time, I'll mess with it later for fun), plans to buy a reaper, and over 17K in HC.  All with no HC boosters used, just from normal in-game progression and the promo code/double HC weekend they did.

The game does not need HC gain increased in my experience.

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#55 vadram

vadram

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 02:11 PM

View PostNeverWas, on December 14 2012 - 05:13 AM, said:

take league of legends as an example, you need an average of 45 games to unlock 1 champion without spending money on boosters.

and an average game spans about 30 minutes, that's 20+ hours of game play for 1 champion. (and i'm being extremely linen with the game count)

there are currently 102 champions in the pool, excluding some stat improvements we called 'runes' which cost additional in game points.

some says the company will fail because the game is such a grind fest, today the highest live stream viewer they have is 25k, 100k if there's a tournament.

hawken being grindy _ think again.

P/s: an average point one game will get you is 120 points, +150 for one game if you have the daily bonus, one champion costs you 6300 points, go figures.
yes but lol also has cheaper champions that you can aquire earlier 450/1350/4800/6300 450 you can get in the first 2-3 hours after you created your account.

#56 jwac4ever

jwac4ever

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 02:38 PM

Just my 2 cents, but I never really have a problem with it. I dont play with the intention of earning points to buy stuff, I play because it is fun and points are an afterthought. So it never really felt grindy.

#57 Snacuum

Snacuum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted February 01 2013 - 01:17 AM

Or, what does this tell you about the state of gaming today_  That it caters too much to the Veruca Salt's of the world who have no patience and want all the things now, so if something isn't handed to them on a silver platter, they complain_

If that's how you viewed pretty much every twitch-shooter in the last 20 years then yes.

#58 Hekatonkheires

Hekatonkheires

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted February 01 2013 - 02:04 AM

The progression is too slow_

Just buy a x2 credit booster.

Problem solved.

There are too many players not willing to pay for aesthetic mods, so if you want to play for free, keep up with the grind.

10 hours of gameplay for every mech (without booster)_

Well if they release a new mech every month, you will have to play just 3 hours a week to "catch them all".

Do you really think that this is too much grind_ I don't think so.

(I know I'm not counting items and internals)

#59 Chefslayer

Chefslayer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationChicago,IL

Posted February 10 2013 - 03:22 AM

My take on this is that hawken points are not exactly perfect balance at the moment but they should slow down how fast you get them. make you work for the upgrades you want. or increase the amount it takes or more add -ons. The point of a game is not to get bored with it as fast as possible. This is a decent game that 9 months produced. I just wish to see more mini games rather than team death match and controlling a point to destroy the other base. these are basic but good starting points. What i feel it lacks is the limited levels the weapons can go up. and more weapons. There should rather be a weight limit to each weapon and a weight limit each mech can hold. rather than 3 limited primary weapons. I enjoy the selection.. it just need to improve a bit.
Posted Image

#60 Paintingbuddha

Paintingbuddha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationCenter of the Universe

Posted February 10 2013 - 08:40 AM

I got a new mech in a day. Now I am working on mech number three...

Feels fine to me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game, Beta, Preview

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users