HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Idea for EMP balancing

Beta

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Poll: EMP balancing (54 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the EMP duration:

1. Stay as it is (7 votes [12.96%])

Percentage of vote: 12.96%

2. Be based on proximity to initial point of impact (20 votes [37.04%])

Percentage of vote: 37.04%

3. Be balanced using some other method (27 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 28 2012 - 10:54 AM

View PostThe_Silencer, on December 28 2012 - 04:18 AM, said:

It's current duration (7 seconds its exaggerated).
Dude. This was never an exaggeration.

Do your research first.
You have a nasty habit of claiming things aren't fact when they are.

http://youtu.be/EfOO4Acxzt4

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#42 Lupus916

Lupus916

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted December 28 2012 - 11:08 AM

Why does everyone say there is no counter play_ The counter play is get your ass out of there as quickly as you can, and readjust for when your systems come back up. There is very little more satisfying than knowing you killed the guy who EMP'd you, even though he had a full 7 seconds to try his hardest to beat you.

#43 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted December 28 2012 - 11:11 AM

View PostdEd101, on December 28 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

A straight hud shutdown would have minimal impact and render emp useless.

No reticule, heat guage, or radar is minimal impact on gameplay_

Not everyone has a prescient knowledge of where the dead center of their screen in, making their reticule-less targeting less accurate, which is important for any kind of combat outside flak range.

A lot of high level players ride the ragged edge of overheat during extended firefights.  I would overheat all the damn time if I didn't have that gauge to help me monitor where and when I'ma overheat.  You can watch your weapons, sure, but its analog nature means there's not much difference between "red" and "off".

And no radar, I don't even have to mention how awful this could be.  Radar is f'ing life, man.

View PostLupus916, on December 28 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

Why does everyone say there is no counter play_ The counter play is get your ass out of there as quickly as you can

"Leaving" is not counterplay.  It's anti-play.  EMP driving you from the fight means it is automatically the most powerful of all the offensive weapons.  I dunno if I've ever been that scared of a HE Charge or a turret.

Edited by Karaipantsu, December 28 2012 - 11:13 AM.

#44 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 28 2012 - 01:37 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on December 28 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

View PostThe_Silencer, on December 28 2012 - 04:18 AM, said:

It's current duration (7 seconds its exaggerated).
Dude. This was never an exaggeration.

Do your research first.
You have a nasty habit of claiming things aren't fact when they are.

http://youtu.be/EfOO4Acxzt4

Heh..
Easy fix to my habit of trusting in your input on here -> From now on I'm listening to official data and/or personaly verified data only.

You and that negative habit of yours of making other individuals to look like fools when they do not...

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#45 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 28 2012 - 02:10 PM

View PostThe_Silencer, on December 28 2012 - 01:37 PM, said:

You and that negative habit of yours of making other individuals to look like fools when they do not...
Whether or not others look like fools is beyond my control.
If they fail to check their facts beforehand and I prove them wrong, the fault is theirs if they end up feeling like they've been made a fool of. I cannot control them, and am not at fault if they comment using faulty data.

In the case of the EMP time, I had checked, and posted the results within the first few days of open beta. This information has been verfied and readily available for nearly 2 weeks now. And it has also been referenced in multiple threads that you yourself have been part of.

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#46 mechjeb

mechjeb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted December 28 2012 - 02:28 PM

EMP should not lose time the further you shoot it from. EMP is slow moving.  EMP can disable the shooters systems too if they're close enough.  EMP does no damage. EMP has a limited impact radius.  EMP only has one shot and a VERY slow reload time. These are the balances, and the fact that you're giving up a slot for it is another aspect of the balance.

Let's face it, EMP haters don't want to "fix" it, they want to make it entirely useless so they don't have to deal with it anymore.

#47 Rosengren

Rosengren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationGothenburg, Sweden

Posted December 28 2012 - 02:49 PM

View Postmechjeb, on December 28 2012 - 02:28 PM, said:

These are the balances, and the fact that you're giving up a slot for it is another aspect of the balance.

You aren't giving up a slot if you spend it on the best item in the game. The EMP is miles ahead of any other offensive item. You don't lose out on an HE charge or a turret because the EMP is better than them. You are given the choice between the strongest item there is or any item that isn't the strongest item there is. Not being able to use any of the less optimal choices is not a drawback.

#48 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 28 2012 - 02:59 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on December 28 2012 - 02:10 PM, said:

If they fail to check their facts beforehand and I prove them wrong, the fault is theirs if they end up feeling like they've been made a fool of. I cannot control them, and am not at fault if they comment using faulty data.

In the case of the EMP time, I had checked, and posted the results within the first few days of open beta. This information has been verfied and readily available for nearly 2 weeks now. And it has also been referenced in multiple threads that you yourself have been part of.

So all advanced and reliable data on the EMP item was verfied, available and well weighted and/or contrasted* by the most active and profilic alpha/beta pilots in here_  Are we talking about pure and refined Vorginia stuff then_

For just an instant, allow me to postrate before the immensity of your all-mighty and magnificient aura which shines of .. you're the fool, my non-dear malicius whatever you're whilst I'm freely ignoring your suspicious comments into these hopefully and inherently friendly forums of the Hawken game.

You're the number one now on.... I concede you my Top Gun's custom title....

Yawn, I'm rambling here.. my bad... :rolleyes:

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#49 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted December 28 2012 - 04:39 PM

View Postmechjeb, on December 28 2012 - 02:28 PM, said:

EMP should not lose time the further you shoot it from. EMP is slow moving.  EMP can disable the shooters systems too if they're close enough.  EMP does no damage. EMP has a limited impact radius.  EMP only has one shot and a VERY slow reload time. These are the balances, and the fact that you're giving up a slot for it is another aspect of the balance.

Let's face it, EMP haters don't want to "fix" it, they want to make it entirely useless so they don't have to deal with it anymore.
You're one of the best players but you think EMP is hard to use_ That's pretty interesting
Protip: EMP has the splash radius of a small moon, and it disables for a full 7 seconds no matter where you are in that space. If you're consistently getting hit with your own EMP, or are missing EMP shots consistently, then you're doinitwrong or you're just not very good at aiming
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#50 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 28 2012 - 04:44 PM

View PostThe_Silencer, on December 28 2012 - 02:59 PM, said:

So all advanced and reliable data on the EMP item was verfied, available and well weighted and/or contrasted* by the most active and profilic alpha/beta pilots in here_  Are we talking about pure and refined Vorginia stuff then_
Look. Believe the evidence or don't.
But if you test it, you'll get the exact same results I did, unless you test in a flawed manner.

For just an instant, allow me to postrate before the immensity of your all-mighty and magnificient aura which shines of .. you're the fool, my non-dear malicius whatever you're whilst I'm freely ignoring your suspicious comments into these hopefully and inherently friendly forums of the Hawken game.
"Suspicious comments"_
Dude. I proved, with concrete evidence, that the EMP lasts 7 seconds.
I'm sorry you can't handle the fact that you are flat out wrong, but facts are facts.

I have no idea why it's so hard for you to just admit you were wrong and you always end up resorting to this strange sort of backpeddling rambling on about nonsense...

AJK is right

#51 WarPig

WarPig

Mech Assimilations

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationOneida, NY

Posted December 28 2012 - 04:58 PM

My personal thoughts on Emp which I did express a bit on Podcast .. but here it is again...

I would love to see the Emp move into a AOE dmg ability.  also gains +dmg based on health orbs
My Reasons and thinking behind this:

1.  Teams always stack in doorways (frustrating I know).. imagine now an AOE Emp coming in .. everyone takes dmg, so we now have something to force players to think more and act smarter.
2. always Tons of health lying around not being picked up etc.. This gets players being more aware and also plays into using internals a bit smarter for some sick moves.
3. Without this being a shutdown mechanic , we keep game play happening and players moving. This gives both players using the emp and those being hit the options and mobility.

I do have more I could go into why etc.. but thats all I think I need to post.

This game shouldn't imho have any mechanic to stop action or game play from happening. The game is based around movement and speed along with good reaction time.. why would you develop things to hinder any of that is beyond me besides it was a concept and tried.. the community is over it and now is time to be moving on from it and into a different direction.

I agree with different options ppl have put up , but this is my idea and thoughts hope someone likes it. :)

Edited by WarPig, December 28 2012 - 04:59 PM.

Posted Image

#52 Sharp5hotEagle

Sharp5hotEagle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted December 28 2012 - 05:50 PM

easy fix:

1. Remove EMP
2. Remove EMP countermeasure
3. Refund all the players who paid for EMP related items

problem solved.

#53 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 28 2012 - 05:54 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on December 28 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

View PostThe_Silencer, on December 28 2012 - 02:59 PM, said:

Look. Believe the evidence or don't.
But if you test it, you'll get the exact same results I did, unless you test in a flawed manner.

"Suspicious comments"_
Dude. I proved, with concrete evidence, that the EMP lasts 7 seconds.
I'm sorry you can't handle the fact that you are flat out wrong, but facts are facts.

I have no idea why it's so hard for you to just admit you were wrong and you always end up resorting to this strange sort of backpeddling rambling on about nonsense...

Damn clown... shut the frak up once and for all and go mess your unofficial husband's mind instead, you piece of bi-fuzzy bunny. So the EMP effect lasts for 7 seconds only at the end_

Use the frakking search function and learn how to be original rather than parasiting other's thoughts. You sterile "pedazo de gilipollas".

And welcome to my ignore list, your vids suck and your tactics and gameplay do as well. Feel better now_ Who the fuzzy bunny you think who you are_ Keep EMPing new players... that helps indeed, stupid parasite.

Ntz!

Posted Image

#54 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted December 28 2012 - 05:56 PM

View PostThe_Silencer, on December 28 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

Damn clown... shut the frak up once and for all and go mess your unofficial husband's mind instead, you piece of bi-fuzzy bunny. So the EMP effect lasts for 7 seconds only at the end_

Use the frakking search function and learn how to be original rather than parasiting other's thoughts. You sterile "pedazo de gilipollas".

And welcome to my ignore list, your vids suck and your tactics and gameplay do as well. Feel better now_ Who the fuzzy bunny you think who you are_ Keep EMPing new players... that helps indeed, stupid parasite.

Ntz!
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like_

Edited by Beemann, December 28 2012 - 05:57 PM.

Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#55 mechjeb

mechjeb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted December 28 2012 - 05:58 PM

View PostWarPig, on December 28 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

My personal thoughts on Emp which I did express a bit on Podcast .. but here it is again...

I would love to see the Emp move into a AOE dmg ability.  also gains +dmg based on health orbs
My Reasons and thinking behind this:

1.  Teams always stack in doorways (frustrating I know).. imagine now an AOE Emp coming in .. everyone takes dmg, so we now have something to force players to think more and act smarter.
2. always Tons of health lying around not being picked up etc.. This gets players being more aware and also plays into using internals a bit smarter for some sick moves.
3. Without this being a shutdown mechanic , we keep game play happening and players moving. This gives both players using the emp and those being hit the options and mobility.

I do have more I could go into why etc.. but thats all I think I need to post.

This game shouldn't imho have any mechanic to stop action or game play from happening. The game is based around movement and speed along with good reaction time.. why would you develop things to hinder any of that is beyond me besides it was a concept and tried.. the community is over it and now is time to be moving on from it and into a different direction.

I agree with different options ppl have put up , but this is my idea and thoughts hope someone likes it. :)

1. we have something else for that, it's call a H.E. grenade and regular grenades.  people are still going to pile up on choke points regardless.

you're thinking the full effect area of EMP should be incremental based on distance, but you're looking at it wrong.  instead, imagine that the EMP reaches further than its visible area, but only have an effect in the visible emp bubble.  and again, we're talking about a slow moving single fire weapon that does no damage.

now imagine this side effect of the suggestions that EMP should lose effect the further you are from the center.  This would actually be beneficial to EMP spammers since if they're in close range combat, they can just shoot it where they know they'll be at the edge of the bubble.  now they're shut off for a split second, while their target is still shut off for longer.

in short, EMP spammers would be less affected by EMP than they normally would unless they shot at their own feet. don't forget, EMP can be shot down before it reaches its target over longer distances, and since it moves soo slow its target can be gone before it even hits.

mechanics that penalize opponents and even stops them from being able to do much of anything, have existed for a long time.  this is nothing new.   one example, the 'go to jail' mechanic in monopoly.  I'm not going to waste time listing all the various games that have similar mechanics, but there are plenty of them.

In an A-Class mech, getting hit by an EMP is almost inconsequential because you can usually run away fast enough.  In a B-Class mech, you cant run as fast or as far, but can take a bit more damage.  Only in C-Class is EMP almost always a death sentence, because they're too slow to evade.

Now I don't know what skills you're putting points in, but I go for mostly mobility and some defense in all classes (and internals).  anything else doesn't really help.  Maybe you need to look more at how you play and how you're setting up your mech classes if EMP is an issue.

On average, most people get less than 1 kill a minute.  a 7 second EMP isn't all that long.  If you EMP someone far away, you might not even reach them before it wears off....or reach them just as it wears off.  Secondary reloads can take a while.  If you started shooting one as soon as you EMP'd someone, you might only be able to squeeze off 2-3 shots before it wears off....and that's if they're in range.  there's a lot of stipulation when it comes to risk/reward with EMP.

Like I said before, you people don't want to fix EMP, you want to remove its teeth entirely so you don't have to deal with it anymore.

#56 Timber_Wolf

Timber_Wolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted December 28 2012 - 05:59 PM

Ntz!

Mad, bro_
Chicks dig giant robots.

#57 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 28 2012 - 06:00 PM

View PostBeemann, on December 28 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

Ntz!
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like_

You have no idea...

Posted Image

#58 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted December 28 2012 - 06:03 PM

View PostThe_Silencer, on December 28 2012 - 06:00 PM, said:

View PostBeemann, on December 28 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

Ntz!

You have no idea...
No I really don't
Please re-read your post and translate it into proper English. I know you can pull it off
Ultimately Asian was right about EMP, but rather than just accept that you were wrong about it, and that the information was readily available, you decided to make it a personal issue, and you did so in a way that is extremely hard to interpret
There's no need for any of that

@MechJeb
Are you telling me that you consistently miss targets with EMP/hit yourself with it, and that you can't kill someone in 7 seconds when they have no method of retaliation_
Again, just wanted to clarify, because it's absolutely possible to consistently wreck people through EMP abuse if you're in any way decent or experienced in Hawken, and it has the single highest effect in combat of any item available right now

Edited by Beemann, December 28 2012 - 06:05 PM.

Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#59 WarPig

WarPig

Mech Assimilations

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationOneida, NY

Posted December 28 2012 - 06:12 PM

I feel like I got totally ignored due to the awesome flaming happening .... way 2 go on the suggestion thread silencer, maybe next time you can open your mouth a bit wider and sound like an adult when you talk in the big boy room or just shove the foot in there deeper.
Posted Image

#60 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 28 2012 - 06:22 PM

View PostWarPig, on December 28 2012 - 06:12 PM, said:

I feel like I got totally ignored due to the awesome flaming happening .... way 2 go on the suggestion thread silencer, maybe next time you can open your mouth a bit wider and sound like an adult when you talk in the big boy room or just shove the foot in there deeper.

You may shove that post right up your a$$ too.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users