HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Idea for EMP balancing

Beta

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Poll: EMP balancing (54 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the EMP duration:

1. Stay as it is (7 votes [12.96%])

Percentage of vote: 12.96%

2. Be based on proximity to initial point of impact (20 votes [37.04%])

Percentage of vote: 37.04%

3. Be balanced using some other method (27 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted December 28 2012 - 08:06 PM

View PostWarPig, on December 28 2012 - 06:12 PM, said:

I feel like I got totally ignored due to the awesome flaming happening .... way 2 go on the suggestion thread silencer, maybe next time you can open your mouth a bit wider and sound like an adult when you talk in the big boy room or just shove the foot in there deeper.

You were ignored because your idea was stupid, and now you're adding to the flaming.  Well played, little one.

1. We already have an AOE damage item: HE Grenade.  Last thing we need is a grenade with a splash like Magikarp.
2. Damage up on Health Orbs_  How the hell does that make sense.
3. Why would something called an EMP, generally associated with electrical disruption, be a damage dealing mechanism_
4. There are some very simple ways to keep it an EMP without stopping the action.  One is my favorite alternative: the HUD shutdown.

Edited by Karaipantsu, December 28 2012 - 08:08 PM.

#62 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted December 28 2012 - 08:46 PM

View PostKaraipantsu, on December 28 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

You were ignored because your idea was stupid, and now you're adding to the flaming.  Well played, little one.
Posted Image
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#63 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted December 28 2012 - 10:42 PM

Be thee gone, O Man of Bees.

#64 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted December 29 2012 - 12:54 AM

I started this topic for some meaningful discussion on the EMP and ways of keeping it in the game but making it's mechanics make more 'sense' such as the proximity from point of impact.

Unfortunately this has now become a tit4tat mudslinging contest between teenage girls...

How does one close a thread_
General tips and tricks: https://community.pl...-tricks-thread/
Wolfyftw videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfyFTW (click on the 'Mindgamer' episodes)
Promo Codes (free money): https://community.pl...90-promo-codes/
Stats (all credit to AsianJoyKiller and the other contributors): https://docs.google....lrQjM5Tmc#gid=0 (don't forget to scroll right)

#65 WarPig

WarPig

Mech Assimilations

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationOneida, NY

Posted December 29 2012 - 02:29 AM

View PostKaraipantsu, on December 28 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

View PostWarPig, on December 28 2012 - 06:12 PM, said:

I feel like I got totally ignored due to the awesome flaming happening .... way 2 go on the suggestion thread silencer, maybe next time you can open your mouth a bit wider and sound like an adult when you talk in the big boy room or just shove the foot in there deeper.

1. We already have an AOE damage item: HE Grenade.  Last thing we need is a grenade with a splash like Magikarp.
2. Damage up on Health Orbs_  How the hell does that make sense.
3. Why would something called an EMP, generally associated with electrical disruption, be a damage dealing mechanism_
4. There are some very simple ways to keep it an EMP without stopping the action.  One is my favorite alternative: the HUD shutdown.

1. Its not to the extent im thinking. nor related in anyway to what I explained but ty.
2. Clearly you cannot understand.
3.This has been a dmg dealing mechanic in other games before, and can be presented in different ways. Don't be so narrow minded.
4. I agree, its a suggestion for a reason , relax take a deep breath.
Posted Image

#66 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted December 29 2012 - 09:35 AM

View PostdEd101, on December 29 2012 - 12:54 AM, said:

How does one close a thread_

Report it, and if a Mod agrees that it's become a useless flamewar (which he probably will), he will close it.

#67 Balls_Of_Steel

Balls_Of_Steel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted December 29 2012 - 12:22 PM

Lets not derail the thread, ladies.

I think the easiest EMP solution is to simply adjust the duration it lasts.  You could keep the relative effectiveness of it the same by cutting the duration in half but making it usable twice as often, while making it feel much less punishing.

Another idea which could help with overall mech class balance would be to have the duration depend on the size of mech you play.  

Example:
Big Mech: 3 seconds.
Medium Mech: 5 seconds.
Small Mech: 7 seconds.

Its pretty difficult for a large mech to 'run away' once an EMP has landed, it not only moves slower but the hit box is so much bigger it might help out the games balance to work it that way.  

My personal opinion is that it is probably the most annoying thing in the game currently but its mostly because of the duration, if that were addressed in some way I would be satisfied with EMP being in the game.
Posted Image

#68 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted December 29 2012 - 07:01 PM

That's an interesting idea, but creating class favoritism is almost guaranteed to make a LOT of people come into the forums whining about it.

#69 _Hex_

_Hex_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted December 29 2012 - 07:11 PM

3-5 Seconds is reasonable imo. I mean make it useful... but not overly useful.

I personally hate as an Infiltrator running about sneakily, and waiting for an unsuspecting foe to get a .5 ~ 1 second headstart on; only to be blasted by an EMP and loose my edge for 7 seconds.

Hex

View PostLeonhardt, on April 30 2013 - 04:00 AM, said:

alt+F4 fixes this. Reinstall and as soon as you see it quickly hit alt+F4. If the game crashes restart and try again until its fixed.

#70 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted December 29 2012 - 10:07 PM

Perhaps emp should make the hud flicker, or scramble the numbers, and instantly overheat the weapons or add a fixed amount of heat (say 50% off the top of my head). What is the recovery time for that_ I often overheat my guns mid battle when facing multiple opponents and I end up laughing my head off and running round pillars until they cool down hoping someone will come save my bacon.
General tips and tricks: https://community.pl...-tricks-thread/
Wolfyftw videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfyFTW (click on the 'Mindgamer' episodes)
Promo Codes (free money): https://community.pl...90-promo-codes/
Stats (all credit to AsianJoyKiller and the other contributors): https://docs.google....lrQjM5Tmc#gid=0 (don't forget to scroll right)

#71 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 29 2012 - 10:16 PM

View PostdEd101, on December 29 2012 - 10:07 PM, said:

Perhaps emp should make the hud flicker, or scramble the numbers, and instantly overheat the weapons or add a fixed amount of heat (say 50% off the top of my head). What is the recovery time for that_ I often overheat my guns mid battle when facing multiple opponents and I end up laughing my head off and running round pillars until they cool down hoping someone will come save my bacon.
5 seconds I believe on overheat.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#72 Woobins

Woobins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted December 29 2012 - 10:51 PM

View PostBeemann, on December 28 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like_

An error occurred
You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Edited by Woobins, December 29 2012 - 10:54 PM.

THREADS -{  Who wins_ -//- Alternative EMP -//- Hawken OST_ }

Posted Image

#73 Woobins

Woobins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted December 29 2012 - 11:51 PM

<snip> sorry, moved this post to a new thread.

http://community.pla...-bunny-the-emp/

-edit in response to below- Also, yeah, its got overheat blaring on the top there, if anything I reckon EMP would work better as an overheat inducing ability rather than its current form, and watching it felt like even though there already is an overheat mechanic in place, a lot of people hate the current ability of rendering a player completely useless for 7 seconds, so instead use an already well established mechanic that can be triggered by other players instead of just leaving the responsibility to the individual all the time.

vvv

Edited by Woobins, December 30 2012 - 12:56 AM.

THREADS -{  Who wins_ -//- Alternative EMP -//- Hawken OST_ }

Posted Image

#74 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted December 30 2012 - 12:15 AM

Sadly that video, at the point you described, was just a normal overheat from the pre-alpha stage.  I'd say more, but NDA.

I do like the idea of a scrambled HUD, though.  That fits in with both the radius based effect and the HUD shutdown effect described earlier in this thread.  Catch the edge of an EMP, and your HUD remains operational, but a little wonky.

Edited by Karaipantsu, December 30 2012 - 12:16 AM.

#75 Tyme

Tyme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted December 30 2012 - 03:12 AM

What if, combining a few suggestions here, and applying (not a scientific) but REASONABLE idea. Here we go.

The Mech sizes as a pretty good base idea.

Then, the EMP knocks out EITHER secondary, OR primary weapons only. This will still allow for some dense by the mech who is victimized.

Also,if affecting more than one Mech, the EMP effect is distributed, only giving, say, 2/3 of the total effect to each Mech. If Hit solo, of course, you recieve 100% of the effect.

For example, if we use the sizes cited above as a reference, a big mech and a small mech are both hit by the same EMP. The Large Mech is affected for 2 seconds, while the small is only affected for roughly 5. This not only helps the duration issue, but also the blast radius issue.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users