HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Idea for EMP balancing

Beta

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Poll: EMP balancing (54 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the EMP duration:

1. Stay as it is (7 votes [12.96%])

Percentage of vote: 12.96%

2. Be based on proximity to initial point of impact (20 votes [37.04%])

Percentage of vote: 37.04%

3. Be balanced using some other method (27 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted December 26 2012 - 04:35 PM

A lot of guys are complaining about the EMP duration being OP at 7seconds. A suggestion I haven't seen yet (although it may have been already) is to have the time you are effected be based on how far away you are from the initial emp blast.

With this scenario if you get hit in the face you get the full 7seconds downtime for not being awake enough to at least try move out the way of a really slow moving projectile. However as you go further out the downtime would decrease. This way if you managed to dodge and were only just clipped you would only be affected for a second or two.

In this way it would function much more like an explosion where the further you are away from the centre the less damage you take.

What do you guys think_
General tips and tricks: https://community.pl...-tricks-thread/
Wolfyftw videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfyFTW (click on the 'Mindgamer' episodes)
Promo Codes (free money): https://community.pl...90-promo-codes/
Stats (all credit to AsianJoyKiller and the other contributors): https://docs.google....lrQjM5Tmc#gid=0 (don't forget to scroll right)

#2 Rosengren

Rosengren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationGothenburg, Sweden

Posted December 26 2012 - 04:39 PM

The problem isn't in the specifics. The EMP the way it is implemented now is fundamentally unfun. Disabling an opponent's means of fighting back is essentially the same thing as having a button that turns you invulnerable. Something radical must be done.

#3 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted December 26 2012 - 04:45 PM

I disagree. I have no problem getting shutdown. My issue is that it must scale with distance. Most of the time I get hit by it I'm right on the edge of the blast but I still get the full 7 seconds. If i dodge a tow and get clipped I take much less damage than getting hit in the face. I think the EMP should work the same way.
Wolfyftw videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfyFTW (click on the 'Mindgamer' episodes)
Stats (all credit to AsianJoyKiller and the other contributors): https://docs.google....lrQjM5Tmc#gid=0 (don't forget to scroll right)

#4 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted December 26 2012 - 09:58 PM

I'd prefer the effect to be entirely cosmetic.  Remove hud, shut down radar, leave weapons operational.  That would keep the essence of the item intact while reducing it's bonkers power level a little bit.

I am also open to the radius based penalty option, as well.  That was my first idea when thinking of ways to change up EMP, but I came to prefer the other way in time.

#5 Dracoslayer16

Dracoslayer16

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted December 27 2012 - 01:43 AM

I have two gripes with the EMP.  #1 being that this weapon has terrible counterplay.  Dying because of an HE grenade or a Sabot round through the face feels like you've been beaten and rush back out to go get revenge.  Dying because an EMP just turned your mech off for nearly the whole duration of the fight feels like someone just cheated.  And #2 being that the cooldown on this thing is WAY too short.  I regularly run into people in servers who stay alive by using the EMP every single time they see me without fail and I have to wonder why such a powerful weapon can be used so often, imbalances aside.
Posted Image

#6 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted December 27 2012 - 09:24 AM

View PostDracoslayer16, on December 27 2012 - 01:43 AM, said:

I have two gripes with the EMP.  #1 being that this weapon has terrible counterplay.  Dying because of an HE grenade or a Sabot round through the face feels like you've been beaten and rush back out to go get revenge.  Dying because an EMP just turned your mech off for nearly the whole duration of the fight feels like someone just cheated.  And #2 being that the cooldown on this thing is WAY too short.  I regularly run into people in servers who stay alive by using the EMP every single time they see me without fail and I have to wonder why such a powerful weapon can be used so often, imbalances aside.

This is true but I feel a lot of that frustration would be mitigated if they needed to land a direct hit for the full 7 seconds and less if you are further away from impact.

To me it just doesn't make sense that it doesn't work the same as an explosion.

#7 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 27 2012 - 09:30 AM

View PostdEd101, on December 27 2012 - 09:24 AM, said:

View PostDracoslayer16, on December 27 2012 - 01:43 AM, said:

This is true but I feel a lot of that frustration would be mitigated if they needed to land a direct hit for the full 7 seconds and less if you are further away from impact.

To me it just doesn't make sense that it doesn't work the same as an explosion.
This has been a problem with the EMP since Alpha.

The thing is, they already have explosions with damage that varies depending on how close you are to the centerpoint, so we know it's entirely possible for them to do the same with the EMP, yet they don't.

Also, I feel I should mention that even if the EMP had a "damage" dropoff, 7 seconds is still far to long. It should be at least half that time.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#8 rdKNIGHTMAREZ

rdKNIGHTMAREZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted December 27 2012 - 10:04 AM

Be based on proximity to initial point of impact  

AWESOME idea. taking the EMP which is fine right now the way it is....and making it BETTER.

GREAT idea! the AOE size could be increased a little bit as well :)
It rewards pixel-precision in a high-speed-combat situation with a reward.

#9 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 27 2012 - 10:10 AM

EMP Fix:

1.- EMP's duration = 3.4 or 4 seconds as max.
*2.- Manual EMP countermeassures rather than automatic ones. Several countermeassures per spawn rather than just one.

That would be all, IMO.

(*): Ideal addition.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#10 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 27 2012 - 10:19 AM

View PostThe_Silencer, on December 27 2012 - 10:10 AM, said:

EMP Fix:

*2.- Manual EMP countermeassures rather than automatic ones. Several countermeassures per spawn rather than just one.

That would be all, IMO.

Uh... How about it not having a massive AoE_
Or at the very least having the actual AoE match up with the graphical representation (the effective radius is currently several meters larger than the EMP "explosion" animation shows)

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#11 SilentJacket

SilentJacket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationInstallation 00b

Posted December 27 2012 - 10:28 AM

how about having the EMP be a system hijacking charge instead_

Instead of the EMP bomb, you instead launch a canister that, if it makes contact with a mech (either being hit, or being stepped on) "disables it" for some duration

Posted Image

#12 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 27 2012 - 10:30 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on December 27 2012 - 10:19 AM, said:

View PostThe_Silencer, on December 27 2012 - 10:10 AM, said:

EMP Fix:

That would be all, IMO.

Uh... How about it not having a massive AoE_
Or at the very least having the actual AoE match up with the graphical representation (the effective radius is currently several meters larger than the EMP "explosion" animation shows)

Did it work well in Team based game modes before that boost_  -> Because I'm one of those who think it did.

*Knowing its real AoE in meters would be of help as well. They boosted it too _

Edited by The_Silencer, December 27 2012 - 10:31 AM.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#13 TwiceDead

TwiceDead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted December 27 2012 - 11:38 AM

View PostrdKNIGHTMAREZ, on December 27 2012 - 10:04 AM, said:

Be based on proximity to initial point of impact  

AWESOME idea. taking the EMP which is fine right now the way it is....and making it BETTER.

GREAT idea! the AOE size could be increased a little bit as well :)
It rewards pixel-precision in a high-speed-combat situation with a reward.
Increasing a blast radius that's already at the size of mars_ No thanks.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted December 27 2012 - 11:51 AM

View PostThe_Silencer, on December 27 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

Knowing its real AoE in meters would be of help as well. They boosted it too _

I don't think they boosted it, just never really represented it properly.

View PostSilentJacket, on December 27 2012 - 10:28 AM, said:

how about having the EMP be a system hijacking charge instead_

Instead of the EMP bomb, you instead launch a canister that, if it makes contact with a mech (either being hit, or being stepped on) "disables it" for some duration

So, basically a grenade with no AOE instead of it's current nonsense.  Might work, but I don't like the idea of leaving it to be stomped on at random.

Edited by Karaipantsu, December 27 2012 - 11:52 AM.

#15 necroq

necroq

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Locationhere

Posted December 27 2012 - 02:31 PM

u better learn to play.emp needs a lot skill to use.

game is already very good balanced for teamplay. only teamplay at high level will show what is good or not.
top developers working on hawken. i bet one of the best out there. they have a lot of clue what they do.

Posted Image

#16 TwiceDead

TwiceDead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted December 27 2012 - 03:16 PM

View Postnecroq, on December 27 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

u better learn to play.emp needs a lot skill to use.

game is already very good balanced for teamplay. only teamplay at high level will show what is good or not.
top developers working on hawken. i bet one of the best out there. they have a lot of clue what they do.
You're trolling right_
Posted Image

#17 SilentJacket

SilentJacket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted December 27 2012 - 03:23 PM

ok, so how about a power drain grenade that attaches to the mech, and deactivates all systems for .7 seconds (including visuals), and then deactivates weapon systems for 3 seconds_

and If you miss, the grenade sits on the floor and overheats, causing any mech directly on top of it to have their weapons overheat by 25% per second

Posted Image

#18 Tetsuro

Tetsuro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted December 27 2012 - 03:37 PM

I agree with AJK. The blast radius needs to be toned down and be accurate to the animation, it should never last seven seconds, and the edges of the radius should have less of an effect.

I honestly don't think any weapon should ever prevent your opponent from shooting. It is down right stupid from any angle you look at. It has no counter play, there is nothing interesting about it. I think it would be much better if it acted as sort of a 'flashbang', causing your screen to go fuzzy and removing your hud, but still allowing you to shoot.

#19 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 27 2012 - 03:45 PM

View PostSilentJacket, on December 27 2012 - 03:23 PM, said:

ok, so how about a power drain grenade that attaches to the mech, and deactivates all systems for .7 seconds (including visuals), and then deactivates weapon systems for 3 seconds_

and If you miss, the grenade sits on the floor and overheats, causing any mech directly on top of it to have their weapons overheat by 25% per second
So wait, a full stun that lasts nearly a full second_
And on top of that it disables weapons for another 3_
And even if you miss, it just sit there and randomly fuzzy bunny over the next person to step on it_

Okay. I'll take that and never, ever, eeevvveeer use any other Offensive item.
EVER.

AJK is right

#20 SilentJacket

SilentJacket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted December 27 2012 - 03:46 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on December 27 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

View PostSilentJacket, on December 27 2012 - 03:23 PM, said:

ok, so how about a power drain grenade that attaches to the mech, and deactivates all systems for .5 seconds (including visuals), and then deactivates weapon systems for 2 seconds_

and If you miss, the grenade sits on the floor and overheats, causing any mech directly on top of it to have their weapons overheat by 10% per second
So wait, a full stun that lasts nearly a full second_
And on top of that it disables weapons for another 3_
And even if you miss, it just sit there and randomly fuzzy bunny over the next person to step on it_

Okay. I'll take that and never, ever, eeevvveeer use any other Offensive item.
EVER.

I guess that is excessive

fixed, I think...

Edited by SilentJacket, December 27 2012 - 03:49 PM.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users