HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Penalization for players excessively quitting

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

Poll: Penalization for Players Excessively Quitting (250 member(s) have cast votes)

Penalize players for excessively quitting_

1. Yes (127 votes [50.80%])

Percentage of vote: 50.80%

2. No (123 votes [49.20%])

Percentage of vote: 49.20%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Asriel

Asriel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted March 15 2013 - 11:29 PM

I dont find the 72 hour ban harsh, since a 3 strike/24 hour line would have to be met. How often would someone whom is sitting down to play a shooter would need to suddenly leave withing 15 minutes to go to something more then 3 times in a 24 hour window_ In my opinion thats rare, so it protects the legitimate people whom are leaving for a legitimate reason, versus someone whom just cant stand to lose and jumps from game to game.

#82 R3DL3ARU3L

R3DL3ARU3L

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted March 16 2013 - 08:15 PM

Banned for 3 days_! That's ridiculous! Just implement a Exp or HC points deduction or penalty. Not Ban the player.

#83 Alastor_Crow

Alastor_Crow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • LocationQueens, NY

Posted March 16 2013 - 08:26 PM

You don't get any points for quitting a game - that's pretty much the punishment for it. The problem is, the game crashes often for some people. I sometimes experience server crashes where everyone in the room gets booted out of the game. Also, there are times when I go into a siege game where being in a certain group simply brings you more stress. For example, people that have no idea or don't care about the objectives in an objective-based game type. I'd rather leave and look for another game instead of arguing with some fuzzy bunny about why I keep telling them to get inside the AA or stop shooting 200 meters away with an assault rifle - thankfully, now that I'm forced to join advanced/high rank rooms, this is becoming less of an issue.

Oh, there are a lot of times when you simply have to leave the game because of real-life "stuff". People need to use the bathroom, go to sleep, get ready for work, and basically get on with their life. I'm not trying to justify ragequitting but I am saying not everyone leaves just because their team is losing.

Edited by Alastor_Crow, March 16 2013 - 08:28 PM.

Posted Image

#84 FussyBadger

FussyBadger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted March 20 2013 - 06:10 AM

Great points, Alastor. I prefer how Gears of War handled this problem. Rather than relying on negative reinforcement - i.e. punishing quitters with temp bans - they turned to positive reinforcement.

As players completed consecutive games without quitting, they received an XP bonus that grew with each passing game to a particular limit. So, after playing two games without quitting, you'd get +100 XP. After the third, +200 XP. Up to a max +1000 XP for each match played consecutively within a single play session.

That system didn't get rid of quitting altogether, but it went the right way about driving behaviors and minimizing forum rage.

#85 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 20 2013 - 06:54 AM

Once more, careful with disconnects, rare game crashes and/or with urgent matters in RL ( real life.. I forgot to add this acronym.. you see_ :) )

Pilots abusing: Yes.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#86 RedSamovary

RedSamovary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted March 20 2013 - 07:25 AM

How about a reverse system. Do nothing about the quitters but give more xp or hc for those who stay in battle (i mean in the smallest team)... Sure Dev must implant a point system but i'd like that... i dont mind to lose.

#87 oeneg

oeneg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 12:43 PM

no this a dumb idea if u want u should be able to my vote is HELL NO!

#88 toPOULAKItsiou

toPOULAKItsiou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationGreece Athens

Posted March 24 2013 - 03:06 AM

i quit alot and i don't like doing it
but i just can't stand the ping that goes 240
i play a match and its like 140 then
at the next round it goes 200+ for some strange reason
also it goes up when more ppl join the server.
also with the rating sistem ppl with 1700 rating +
can't find a server to play and if they do they may have a ping problem
cause they are forsed most of the times to play in other regions
and the result is huge ping and a game that gets unplayable.
i can guarantee that this is the 70% of the reason why ppl are quiting.
after all in 1400-1600 rating all the servers are full and they won't get an oppen slot.
thats cause 1550 is the rating with 70% of the servers and the good ppl get
20% empty unranked servers and the other 10% the usa region server but not evryone will have good ping.
sir i don't know if you can play with 50 ping or 100 ping
but im sure you play within those numbers cause you would have not
made that pole if you had 200 ping.
if we panish players that get that bullsh..it every day
and make the game more unplayable than it is right now
they only thing your panishing sistem gonna achieve
is to make people leave the hawken for good
and they allready have that mindset.so i say NO no more cr.ap 4 the players
Posted Image

#89 Inlite

Inlite

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted March 24 2013 - 03:22 AM

Remember we cant see our ping before we join the game, if I use quick match I can still end up in a server anything fromm 200-250 ping. I can just play at 200 but 250+ against people at ~60 is a waste of time. If I run into that 3 times in 24 hours I dont want to get penalised for it.

#90 FussyBadger

FussyBadger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted March 24 2013 - 03:31 AM

There are certainly valid reasons for quitting. That's why a penalty is dangerous - you could make a legitimately bad experience even worse.

#91 Boomaholic

Boomaholic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted March 26 2013 - 08:54 AM

Alright I just started playing again yesterday after a few month hiatus. While i would like to agree with a punishment system. I just can't get behind it until server-side issues are cleanedup. I've tried playing several matches both last night and today and I've logged 2 complete matches out of all the attempts i've tried. 1 of which I joined late match and ran around for about a minute or 2 before my team lost. The 2nd match was an amazingly balanced match to the finish(win). Every other attept has been a disconnect from host.

Personally I hate quitting and I will play a match til the end no matter the conditions, thats just me. I liked what one poster (on pg 3 or 4_) had suggested, for adding minutes between matches per quit-out.

Honestly being a new player a few months ago and running into horrid balancing, waiting a few for a patch to fix this. Then scouring the forums to find hopeful ways to resolve this new issue of not being able to stay connected for a match, and end up finding posts like this is really upsetting. There are many enough reasons for new players to the game to be deterred from what i feel has potential to be an amazing game on my harddrive. We dont need to add a 3 day ban to those who constantly get disconnected from matches. Especially those who play down til the match is nearly finished when they get DCed. not getting ex is bad enough :(

#92 FussyBadger

FussyBadger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted March 26 2013 - 09:17 AM

Boomaholic - your situation reflects the danger of a punishment system.

#93 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 26 2013 - 10:38 AM

Leaving ranked matches without any repercussions could cause a problem, but the game is still in beta and there isn't any true ranked matchmaking system yet so this is not a large enough issue to worry about now.

A good punishment for leaving a ranked game would be to put a timer on when they can join their next match and if they do it more than a few times in a 8-12 hour time period it increases by 5 min each time. So for example if you skip out on a match once you can't get into a match for 5 min. The next time you do it within 8-12 hours it increases to 10 min and so on. This way anyone who is hopping from server to server is punished and anyone who has to legitimately leave won't have a problem. They are already losing any xp or hc earned in that match so this is a way of penalizing rage quiting and maybe even forcing someone to take a break and cool down.

EDIT: Apologies to anyone that has already brought this up. There were so many pages I didn't read, but if you did suggest this then know I support it.

Edited by Leonhardt, March 26 2013 - 10:40 AM.

Posted Image

#94 Gree

Gree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted March 26 2013 - 10:55 AM

No.
Let the quitters be mad as they like. When you quit a game you get angry, but it passes away after a short time.
Banning someone who's already having a bad day will make them leave hawken quickly.
I know it would be only in excessive cases, but it's not a good idea.

I play a lot with my friend, and we always want to be in the ame team. Sometimes we can't switch so we both quit. Also, finding a server where my ping it's below 250 it's hard, since I live on Brazil, so I quit a lot of time due to that .

Edited by Gree, March 26 2013 - 10:56 AM.

#95 Boomaholic

Boomaholic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted March 26 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostFussyBadger, on March 26 2013 - 09:17 AM, said:

Boomaholic - your situation reflects the danger of a punishment system.
thank you. I feel I am raging more at the game itself then during matches. I find it really hard to get improvements when I spend more time looking at a "You have been disconnected from host" message then actually playing the game. Even worse when i was late match & my team was kicking ass too. I was 4-4-12 think_ we were also 40ish-mid20s(TeamDM) and then POOF DCd. I know its not the best stats but I think they were pretty good for a newbie like myself :)

#96 Zerjack

Zerjack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted March 26 2013 - 11:53 AM

View PostSubdivision, on January 14 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

Well I personally don't have an issue with it. A minor penalty is fine in my eyes should people consecutively leave games but other than that I don't see why they should. People have things to do which can get in the way sometimes. People may not be enjoying that particular game and want to find another, I'd hate the game to penalise people for trying to enjoy it...! Essentially there's a myriad of reasons why people want or need to leave a game and the instances are few where it is purposeful to harm a game in some manner as far as I am concerned.

I'm agree with this ^, and strongly disagree with OP's ideas. This is not LoL. I'm almost sure that's where the OP got that idea. I don't recall any FPS behaving like that, FPS are about quick playing, sometimes a match is boring, sometimes the server is full of trolls, sometimes is too easy, or too hard, sometimes you got something in your real life. Maybe is not the case of the OP but I think there are a lot persons with real life issues who may not be able to stay connected 100% percent of the time, even that "3 strikes" policy is little better. Or as other people have said, maybe your ping is too high, maybe your PC crash, maybe Hawken crash, maybe something sounds wrong in the kitchen, maybe your [insert loved one here] needs something. None of this are like "I got bored, fuzzy bunny this guys" that deserve any kind of penalization. And in any case as others said no exp is enough penalization.

Again that's not how usual FPS behaves, that's what autobalancing is for. Just autobalance the last player who joined and that's it. This is implemented in games like LoL because a single match is an extended work of a team per se, with reduced individuality. Autobalancing cannot be implemented on this games because there are long term plans, macro economy, and the gameplay itself is kinda stiff. On the other hands the FPS, even the team based, are much more dynamic and fast. People can adapt to a new team without much of a trouble, and as the OP said, in any case is just a 15 minute match.

Being a veteran FPS player, to me this would be an awful idea, and can hurt the game.

Edited by Zerjack, March 26 2013 - 12:11 PM.

#97 FussyBadger

FussyBadger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted April 11 2013 - 03:23 AM

Shooters have had varying incentives and penalties for early quitting before. It's not a new idea.

Again, as I've said, you avoid many problems with positive reinforcement. Reward players who stay with an extra incentive. Let others quit all day long. It won't miraculously fix everything, but it will help and will inspire far fewer complaints.

#98 Taw_Archangel

Taw_Archangel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted April 11 2013 - 04:50 AM

I live in an area where my net drops quit often. My net cannot be fixed because unless I move to a new house I cannot get any type of service provider out here. That being said, I still typically can pull out some game changing moves. Say I am able to join back into the same match before it is over. I think my penalization should be therefor mitigated. But still as a free to play game, with the ability to join in during the middle of a match I doubt they will implement something that harsh due to the possibility of causing players to leave the game entirely
I am known as a few names. Sicarius_X, PilotError, and Archangel. Also, C-class master race ;)
Posted Image

#99 Brnmatt7

Brnmatt7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSetting a trap for you on the Last Eco map

Posted April 28 2013 - 07:49 PM

Yes and no. If you are quitting a match because of latency issues that's cool. But if you are quitting because you and your team are getting slaughtered early in a match, then I believe you should be docked XP and Mech Mastery points.

Posted Image

Check us out @ www.bsb-gaming.com

You can also find me on Raptr

#100 FussyBadger

FussyBadger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted May 02 2013 - 04:55 AM

View PostBrnmatt7, on April 28 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

Yes and no. If you are quitting a match because of latency issues that's cool. But if you are quitting because you and your team are getting slaughtered early in a match, then I believe you should be docked XP and Mech Mastery points.
That's precisely why a reward system is the right way to go. The game can't determine why any more than a player observing can.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users