HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Penalization for players excessively quitting

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

Poll: Penalization for Players Excessively Quitting (250 member(s) have cast votes)

Penalize players for excessively quitting_

1. Yes (127 votes [50.80%])

Percentage of vote: 50.80%

2. No (123 votes [49.20%])

Percentage of vote: 49.20%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Mech__Warrior

Mech__Warrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted January 20 2013 - 05:37 PM

View PostDread_Lord_Pitr, on January 20 2013 - 10:22 AM, said:

View PostMech__Warrior, on January 18 2013 - 08:41 AM, said:

View PostDread_Lord_Pitr, on January 15 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:

View PostMech__Warrior, on January 15 2013 - 08:11 AM, said:

Well, the punishment has to act as a deterrent, rather than a tiny slap on the wrist.  I don't think 3 is bad at all.

And then a majority of the playerbase decides to call it quits, and Hawken dies.
Yeah, seems like a grand idea to me :rolleyes:

That's only an assumption of yours, without data to back it up. ;)
Perhaps it'll teach those 'tards to not quit so much.

Since you dind't provide any data either, i dind't feel the need to start a poll, so yeah...
And you're ignoring situations like the one i outlined above.
Whatever solution comes up has be somewhat fair to everyone, and the suggested fix simply ISN'T .

What am I ignoring_  You better quote it, because I don't know what you're talking about.

I don't need to provide you with any data.  You agree with the assumption that 3 days would act as a deterrent because you assume that that'll kill people from playing Hawken.  As far as I'm concerned, those cheeseballs can leave and never come back.  As far as being fair, no need to be fair to those fuzzy bunnies.  They'll learn their lesson if they want to keep playing.
Posted Image

#62 G4M5T3R

G4M5T3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted January 20 2013 - 06:27 PM

View PostRyuronin, on January 14 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

I personally quit a few times a day because I take care of an elderly parent.

I've had to leave games for this reason as well. But there is still a legitimate reason to punish consistent quitting. I proposed a system similar to LoL in another thread. When leaving, you're penalized 3-10minutes where you're unable to start a new game, increasing with leaving games consistently. Until you have soo many strikes that you get banned for 24-48 hours.

Edited by G4M5T3R, January 20 2013 - 06:29 PM.

Posted Image
                                                                                                 Gamester (n.) : One who plays games, especially a gambler.
                                                                                                                     BSB - http://bsb-gaming.com/

#63 Ryuronin

Ryuronin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted January 20 2013 - 07:10 PM

View PostG4M5T3R, on January 20 2013 - 06:27 PM, said:

View PostRyuronin, on January 14 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

I personally quit a few times a day because I take care of an elderly parent.

I've had to leave games for this reason as well. But there is still a legitimate reason to punish consistent quitting. I proposed a system similar to LoL in another thread. When leaving, you're penalized 3-10minutes where you're unable to start a new game, increasing with leaving games consistently. Until you have soo many strikes that you get banned for 24-48 hours.

A smaller time limit like that is reasonable, specially for the people that have to step away for a bit or suffer computer issues or like myself where my game crashes usually 2 times a day.

|CR-T Recruit "bOOBtUBE"|Sharpshooter "Ronin"|Rocketeer "Razgriz"|Reaper "DeathScythe"|Bruiser "Tank"|Brawler "ThunderThighs"|
Posted Image
http://www.team-omen.com/default.html

#64 ArchetypeZero

ArchetypeZero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted January 25 2013 - 09:58 AM

Howabout if they quit 3 games in progress in a 24hour period their xp and hawken point gain is frozen for 24 hours

#65 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted January 25 2013 - 08:02 PM

Harsh much_  I'm pretty sure in this game's open beta might be that the game registers quitting after the match as still quitting the match.
with this in mind...
By quitting 3 different servers with a bad connection/team/etc., you effectively tempyban the player for three whole days.  Not a happy prospect for the player, and can possibly drive away newcomers and impede the progess of the closed beta events.

Note that I intended to say 3 different servers.  Some error could occur in the coding that causes the game to tally the quits as crimes instead of a slap on the wrist for said repetitive quitting  or even permybans the players...  seriously.

I would prefer that the players get blocked from joining matches for about 30 minutes

Alternitively...

XP gain could be halved or reduced to 50-75%

EDIT A: damn toolbars... quoting, slapping in images and the like won't work for me.  I must be doing something wrong
EDIT B: this is a response to the topic's author

Edited by Frouste, January 25 2013 - 08:05 PM.

"... And I gazed once more unto the looking glass, but with a clear and unclouded will..."

#66 bradowado

bradowado

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted January 26 2013 - 02:39 PM

There should be player ratings for various things like talking like an fuzzy bunny or quitting and your rep should be displayed in the scoreboard.

#67 Rei

Rei

Hammertime!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationMore like... HammeredTime

Posted January 26 2013 - 03:00 PM

I don't think people have actually read the title...

I'm ok with punishing players for "excessively" leaving. Stuff happens where you gotta go, so it should be ok every once in awhile to leave. But if you're leaving every match (like I see some people do) when you're losing. You need to have a penalty. Maybe something along the lines of having this whenever someone leaves mid-match.

leftgames++;
leavepercent = leftgames / playermatches;
if (playermatches > 15){ // To create a buffer if you have a leave your first few games
   if (leavepercent > .4 ){ // 40 percent. Let's be frank, a 40% leave rate is pretty damn excessive. I almost put 30%
   sendMessage("You cannot join games for " + x + " minutes. Please try to finish your games."); // Can't think of a good number for x
   goToTimeout(x); // Put that player in timeout >:|
   }
}

Obviously leavepercent  should be calculated whenever a game ends and shows the scoreboard as well. Add a rejoin option so you can join your last game in case you had a connection issue for a quick leftgames--;. I guess you can also qualify "mid-match" for when xp > 0.

Just an idea.

Edited by Rei, January 26 2013 - 03:05 PM.

!HAMMERTIME
~「TWITTER」~「STREAM」~「STREAMING GUIDE」~ Sharpshooter is fair and balanced
Posted Image

#68 TuNdRa_PlAiNs

TuNdRa_PlAiNs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted January 30 2013 - 09:05 AM

If it's going to be made a Penalization clause; could a Clause, exception, anything like that at least be put in place so that those of us in 3V1 matches, the ones where you're constantly killed without even managing to do fair damage to anyone, (Yes. Those.) don't get kicked in the face for leaving because we're tired of that jazz_ I do it perhaps twice a day, when noone will balance, and noone seems to be joining, so all I'm really doing is helping another group of players buff up their scores for no entertainment on my end.

This is a game after all, if it ain't fun; I ain't gonna play. I do agree that those that get killed excessively, then ragequit, are annoying, especially if they were actually being of some use to the team.

#69 Leaders

Leaders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationEastern Canada

Posted January 30 2013 - 09:43 AM

Three day ban is way too much. I think it would be more productive to cripple their exp gain for a set amount of hours each time a person leaves. Also not being to join another game for a set amount of time each time you leave prematurely would be beneficial something like an hour each time.

#70 Pirits

Pirits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • LocationMobile, Alabama (USA)

Posted February 03 2013 - 12:22 PM

I say no, I'm a good honest player. But my computer is just a step above getting stabbed to death due to it's derpy-ness. Computer: "ERMERGAWD PRITIS IMA CRASH YO GAME" (sorry for caps) Me: "Why thank you, you... *censoredbleepbleepboopdadooppunchatree* ...only computer I own.

Why should I not go get killed and kill just cause my computer is dumber than me_
"What am I doing on top of this Sentium owned spire at a place we call Origin_ Hard-core parkour_ NO, I'm being a derpy chimera. OH! I can see my house from here."
​On a separate note - "Cover me, I'm commentating."
Spoiler

#71 headtrip

headtrip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted February 03 2013 - 01:07 PM

No, this proposal is absolutely silly.

I read up and down on these boards from people complaining the game is unfair, matchmaking sucks, stupid noob left so I lost the match...  Really_  And now because somebody ruined your 15 minute game you want to punish them for three days_  Get off your high horse!

The game already has in place a punishment for leaving the match.  Those players do not gain any experience points/credits.  That's all that needed to be done.  Pretty much all I get out of this post is that you're too much of a delicate flower to handle a 4v5 situation, and your noob complex thinks punishing others will make you have a more enjoyable game.  I have news for you.  It won't.  You're just bad.  Suck it up.

#72 Pirits

Pirits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • LocationMobile, Alabama (USA)

Posted February 03 2013 - 01:38 PM

View Postheadtrip, on February 03 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

No, this proposal is absolutely silly.

I read up and down on these boards from people complaining the game is unfair, matchmaking sucks, stupid noob left so I lost the match...  Really_  And now because somebody ruined your 15 minute game you want to punish them for three days_  Get off your high horse!

The game already has in place a punishment for leaving the match.  Those players do not gain any experience points/credits.  That's all that needed to be done.  Pretty much all I get out of this post is that you're too much of a delicate flower to handle a 4v5 situation, and your noob complex thinks punishing others will make you have a more enjoyable game.  I have news for you.  It won't.  You're just bad.  Suck it up.

Yes, and it dose bug me when depr the computer here kills my xp/hc.

EDIT: derp not depr. I'm such a silly derp...

Edited by Pirits, February 03 2013 - 01:38 PM.

"What am I doing on top of this Sentium owned spire at a place we call Origin_ Hard-core parkour_ NO, I'm being a derpy chimera. OH! I can see my house from here."
​On a separate note - "Cover me, I'm commentating."
Spoiler

#73 TheRuleslawyer

TheRuleslawyer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted February 03 2013 - 10:44 PM

Absolutely yes there should be a penalty. Its frustrating as heck to have people rage quit all the time. You just need a sliding scale where if you quit/drop connection once in awhile it won't really affect you. If you drop a lot in a short period of time, you'll get a time out. If you have a high quit percentage you'll tend to get matched against others with a high quit rate. LOL manages this all pretty well I think. Several day bans are pretty severe, but a staring with a minute or two time out and ramping from there might be a good start.

#74 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted February 03 2013 - 11:26 PM

Yes provided it has a way to discern between someone quitting and some poor sod like me crashing or losing connection due to terrible  ISPs in my country.
General tips and tricks: https://community.pl...-tricks-thread/
Wolfyftw videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfyFTW (click on the 'Mindgamer' episodes)
Promo Codes (free money): https://community.pl...90-promo-codes/
Stats (all credit to AsianJoyKiller and the other contributors): https://docs.google....lrQjM5Tmc#gid=0 (don't forget to scroll right)

#75 headtrip

headtrip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted February 04 2013 - 12:44 PM

Can someone please tell me why not earning HC/XP as a result of a drop is not fair enough_
These matches only last 15 minutes.  Is your loss really that devastating_
I swap over to the losing team all the time, it still doesn't seem to make up for how bad my team can actually be.

My suspicion is that people who are jaded about dropped teammates are actually just bad at FPS, and need to get a booster seat for their mechs, or something.  You can't all fit on the backs of your teammates and get carried around.  And a 4v5 situation on a 15 minute game is not the end of the world.   Anything short of a slap on the wrist for leaving early is excessive force, if you ask me.

#76 MercVet

MercVet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted February 04 2013 - 06:40 PM

IF Hawken is host to  the same variety of players as many online gaming communities, there is also the "sandbagger" group.  Those who quit to maintain inflated K/D/A stats.  In addition to temporary bans and such suggested in this thread, perhaps have the system log whatever K/D/A is held at the time of quit.  
  While it's incredibly annoying to take a massive hit to your stats after a solid thrashing, if you're ACTUALLY skilled you should be able to recover in a few matches.
   At least sticking the quitter with their abysmal K/D/A would remove one benefit to quitting in the last moments of a heated battle.

#77 TheRuleslawyer

TheRuleslawyer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted February 04 2013 - 07:48 PM

View Postheadtrip, on February 04 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

Can someone please tell me why not earning HC/XP as a result of a drop is not fair enough_
These matches only last 15 minutes.  Is your loss really that devastating_
I swap over to the losing team all the time, it still doesn't seem to make up for how bad my team can actually be.

My suspicion is that people who are jaded about dropped teammates are actually just bad at FPS, and need to get a booster seat for their mechs, or something.  You can't all fit on the backs of your teammates and get carried around.  And a 4v5 situation on a 15 minute game is not the end of the world.   Anything short of a slap on the wrist for leaving early is excessive force, if you ask me.

Maybe, but I own my bad stats. People fishing for winning combinations are the ones who often cause drops and uneven teams. badly balanced games aren't fun for anyone.

#78 Skidoosh

Skidoosh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Posted February 04 2013 - 08:11 PM

3 days is beyond excessive lol

#79 Grizzled

Grizzled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted February 07 2013 - 07:07 PM

NO! When I join a game that is ongoing, and 1 team is 6 experienced pilots and I am put on the team with 2 players who have no idea what is going on. these other players can camp your spawn bad enough that by the time your mech powers up, you have 4 barrages of missiles locked on.

I am going to go, It is not rage, I am not even irritated, but I am not gonna sit and play paper target.

The real problem is not that players are quitting. Its that EXPERT pilots think its ok to stack a team to kick the fuzzy bunny out of new players.
Iligetimi carborundum est

#80 ClericalHeretic

ClericalHeretic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted March 15 2013 - 05:02 AM

View PostCaptainCiboulette, on January 14 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

View PostNoJustice, on January 14 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

View PostCaptainCiboulette, on January 14 2013 - 03:16 PM, said:

Well yes, there must be some kind of something ike that....

How about they cannot quit once their in_

Well I thought about that, but what's to stop them from just jacking their ethernet cable out of the wall or just minimizing the game and making themselves a useless shell anyways_

How about an AI placeholder for quitters_

I like this idea. Only problem is A.I. competence. Chances are they'd either be:
A. Too easy too kill, thus rendering them useless, possibly detrimental, to the team until someone else arrives.
or B. Vastly overpowered to the point where teams would be better off having their human players quit,

While the former is the more likely, I'd not want to run the risk of either. Especially in a game with so much cooperation.
Posted ImageFor what is a signature to a lurker_

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users