HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Alternate Secondary Weapons

Forum

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Poll: Alternate Secondary Weapons (190 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think that each mecha should be allowed an alternate secondary weapon_

1. Yes, that would be great. (136 votes [71.58%])

Percentage of vote: 71.58%

2. No. (54 votes [28.42%])

Percentage of vote: 28.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted February 08 2013 - 03:32 PM

The topic is self-explanatory.

I admit that there are issues in this idea.
"... And I gazed once more unto the looking glass, but with a clear and unclouded will..."

#2 EnergyFlameD

EnergyFlameD

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationNorway/Thailand

Posted February 08 2013 - 03:52 PM

I don't know really but, it would be very Awesome....
I think_
[font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]A FLAME CAN GIVE LIFE AND HEAT, BUT IT CAN BE VERY
LETHAL IN THE WRONG HANDS[/font]

#3 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted February 10 2013 - 10:22 AM

On the plus side...
You can do more with one mech.

But weighing the good with the bad....
Some mecha would be overpowered and thus major balancing issues would occur, upsetting months of smoothing out the arsenal at hand.
"... And I gazed once more unto the looking glass, but with a clear and unclouded will..."

#4 SmirkingRevenge

SmirkingRevenge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted February 24 2013 - 05:05 PM

I'm going with a no on this... there are classes, and they all come with different weapons.  If you want a different weapon you pick a different class.

Whats to say that if you picked an Infiltrator, and you swapped the grenade launcher out for a TOW launcher... why didn't you just pick a Berserker_

#5 _LEGION_

_LEGION_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted March 19 2013 - 06:26 AM

It would be awesome, yes, but if you can take "any" two weapons, you are strong with, your mech is getting OP. And if your mech is becoming OP, it would destroy the gameplay much more then some server problems. IMHO i think this idea is bad!

#6 FussyBadger

FussyBadger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted March 20 2013 - 10:27 AM

View PostSmirkingRevenge, on February 24 2013 - 05:05 PM, said:

I'm going with a no on this... there are classes, and they all come with different weapons.  If you want a different weapon you pick a different class.
You hit a point where the classes become irrelevant and it might as well be, "Buy one of three mecha: A-frame, B-frame, C-frame. Everything else is ala carte!"

However, as more mecha are added with the option to buy the same cosmetic pieces as the others, we're sort of getting there anyways.

#7 Gree

Gree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted March 20 2013 - 10:53 AM

If the mech doesn't loses his identity...It's ok.
Who knows_ With a new secondary being added every month, this could be possible to do in the end of 2013

#8 Skrill

Skrill

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationSkrillville, CA

Posted March 20 2013 - 01:36 PM

no, just no. the secondary weapon as it currently stands is what gives a mech its identity and play style. This idea would lead to game breaking combinations and completely ruin the hard won balance we have. Imagine a mech with eoc and tow. Or Sabot and Vulcan. Horribly overpowered. I get that you want more options and they are coming. This is a poor solution to the problem of lack of choice. Getting rid of the optimization tree and replacing it with a tree for your special weapon to change its behavior (I.e. Tow can no longer be manually detonated but hits harder). This would be a much more elegant solution to the problem as it eliminates the vertical progression and at the same time gives players more choices.
Cheers
skrill
Posted Image

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 08 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

You're exactly right.

#9 RennZero

RennZero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted March 21 2013 - 11:08 PM

It would be good if the alternate was something similar to what you are already using. Like if you already have the TOW rocket, maybe the alternate is a rocket with a bigger explosion but you can't control when it explodes. Or an alternate to Hellfires could be a single, TV guided missile... It wouldn't make sense if you could just swap out a TOW for a Sabot Rifle or something like that, then you are effectively switching classes without buying a new mech.

#10 RudaForce

RudaForce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted March 22 2013 - 12:27 AM

I vote no, but that doesn't mean I don't want to see some change with the current secondaries. I really want there to be modifications that you can make to your secondary, be it a +10% Velocity Rate / +20% Spiral Rate for TOW, or a +10% Blast Radius / -5% Velocity and lastly, +10% Damage / +25% Heat Generation. These would of course be balanced etc. but that's the general idea of what I would love to be implemented.

Posted Image

"I don't have a favourite quote."

#11 Dreizehn

Dreizehn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted March 22 2013 - 01:12 AM

I think we need a bigger variety of secondaries distributed around and less TOW/GL reuse rather than alternate secondaries per say.

#12 Akaon

Akaon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted March 22 2013 - 08:17 AM

Instead of alternate secondaries, I'd much rather see different "versions" of secondaries. Like a TOW with higher rate of fire, but smaller AoE range/damage, one with much higher heat generation but higher damage/AoE.

Just some random examples, but just to point out the idea. More variation to weapons essentially without constantly having to make new weapons. (like the 2 new shotguns from the raider when there were 2 shotguns already, how many shotguns does a game need_)

#13 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted March 22 2013 - 09:40 AM

I vote no, seems like it would be way too easy to find the winning combo and play with that all the time, which would force everyone else to adopt the same strategy. That's why they scrapped the "2 primaries, 2 secondaries" weapon selection style from initial builds.
Posted Image

#14 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 07:41 AM

View PostBeefsweat, on March 22 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

I vote no, seems like it would be way too easy to find the winning combo and play with that all the time, which would force everyone else to adopt the same strategy. That's why they scrapped the "2 primaries, 2 secondaries" weapon selection style from initial builds.

Was ignorant of that bit, thanks.

#15 nanocage

nanocage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationNRW

Posted April 02 2013 - 08:11 AM

You don't need necessarily new secondaries. I'd rather see a sidegrade version of the existing one as an additional prestige weapon. What this game lacks is a prestige secondary at level 25. And I don't mean a completely new weapon. Just an alternative version of the existing one. For example  a slightly slower TOW with a smaller radius, which does slightly more damage or a Grenade launcher, which shoots two small grenades rather then one.

c12c3c4c5c1c6c7c8c2c9c1c3c2c3c4c4c

%10c5c5c6c6c7c7c

%11c8c9c8c9c1c2c1c2c3c4c3c4c

%10c5c5c6c6c7c7c

%11c8c8c9c1c1c2c3c2c4c5c6c3c7c8c1c23

#16 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 02 2013 - 08:24 AM

I voted no for several reasons, a few of which are already said above so I will only explain the one issue nobody else seems to have brought up. The secondary weapons like Skrill said gives a mech its identity, but it also gives people a reason to buy it. Its a lot harder for the devs to come out with new mechs for people to purchase if they already have a mech that can do something similar and since 2 secondary weapons gives each mech more functionality there is less reason to expand your pool of mechs out beyond just a few.

I think a lot of people forget that even though the game is F2P the devs need to make money to keep it afloat. I'm not saying they should do it in dirty ways, but at some point there has to be a practicality to the design of the game.

Posted Image

#17 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 08:58 AM

Leonhardt, I posted this when I had thought alternate secondaries were a good idea, really.

But if they do create a vast array of secondaries that, when given as an alternate, are equally as viable as their initial secondary weapon, then yes, they could do that.  Until then, I (now) say no on this.

#18 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 02 2013 - 11:06 AM

View PostFrouste, on April 02 2013 - 08:58 AM, said:

Leonhardt, I posted this when I had thought alternate secondaries were a good idea, really.

But if they do create a vast array of secondaries that, when given as an alternate, are equally as viable as their initial secondary weapon, then yes, they could do that.  Until then, I (now) say no on this.

I didn't see how far back this post was started. I had thought about the possibility of 2 secondaries as well, but yea I have to agree with you until they have a lot more weapons and mechs in the game its just not something worth doing right now. Good idea though for player side customization.

Posted Image

#19 mndmtx

mndmtx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationLibya

Posted May 17 2013 - 11:41 PM

i vote yes. i want to a modified version of hellfire missile, that has two firing modes. or a taw with a smoke launcher. there is more ideas.
Posted Image

#20 XUSA

XUSA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBrazil, Rio de Janeiro

Posted May 25 2013 - 08:17 AM

The option of a new secondary should be just like the original one, except with a few differences so it wouldn't transform the mech entirely into something else.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Forum

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users