HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Wondering if I should put a league/ladder up_

Contest Event Clan

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SmoKingOrbis

SmoKingOrbis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNorthern EU

Posted February 17 2013 - 09:26 AM

Holla, you lovers of metal beasts.

I have been browsing a suitable team for myself the last couple days with Google and these forums and quickly realized that there are still no leagues or ladders started really (somebody almost gave it a shot). So without further mumbling I am declaring the project codename "Pro Hawken" -started.

At this point I am not saying how it will look, what will be it coded on exactly or what features can be expected. Good example of "how it's done" can be found at http://prodota2.com/ and that is where my aim is. Obviously start is always a bit rough and poor but faith and decent coding skills with beer should get through.

If you are interested in helping (already took the nicks from the earlier topic I linked, will be contacting you) or know of something similar that is being built or ready then please let me know. The latter is mainly because I don't wish to compete in such manner. Any feedback and ideas are obviously also much appreciated.

I will be making weekly updates on Sundays. Next time I should have domain and some basics already drafted up ;)

EDIT: Maybe I should have placed this in Fansites (thought clan visibility is the most important), I am sure moderators push this in the correct place if need be.

Edited by SmoKingOrbis, February 17 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#2 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted February 17 2013 - 09:53 AM

I'm not here to dissuade you from participating, but there's a good effort underway to build a lot of Hawken's competitive eSport type stuff as a foundation. Such as the efforts behind and around this thread.

Part of the problem right now is that to run a tournament or any sort of ladder matches, you need a dev's help or a lot of patience to take over a pub server without randoms joining in and not playing along according to the rules of engagement. This puts a serious crimp on organized competitive play, and it's the primary reason that there's only been one significant tournament since Open Beta. The community would have a much easier time with better match selection tools, and those are on the way in an update sometime soon.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#3 SmoKingOrbis

SmoKingOrbis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNorthern EU

Posted February 17 2013 - 10:18 AM

View PostElix, on February 17 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

I'm not here to dissuade you from participating, but there's a good effort underway to build a lot of Hawken's competitive eSport type stuff as a foundation. Such as the efforts behind and around this thread.

Part of the problem right now is that to run a tournament or any sort of ladder matches, you need a dev's help or a lot of patience to take over a pub server without randoms joining in and not playing along according to the rules of engagement. This puts a serious crimp on organized competitive play, and it's the primary reason that there's only been one significant tournament since Open Beta. The community would have a much easier time with better match selection tools, and those are on the way in an update sometime soon.

Thanks for the quick bounce and link to that thread. I do see it more as discussion regarding the whole eSports around Hawken and not as competing project though(_). So at this point I will keep on following the thread and sucking information out of it but also working on "Pro Hawken" also.

I have realized that the game doesn't really support this level of gaming we are talking about yet but in the end it is only an excuse. What I mean by this is that if you have a good system in place for the players to gather, get matches and see statistics between teams (and even possibility to have prizes and glory). It will work.

Obviously you must have decent game modes and configurations (round time, victory conditions, camera after dead etc) placed ingame. This is something I haven't looked into deep yet but working on it.

Edited by SmoKingOrbis, February 17 2013 - 10:19 AM.

#4 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted February 17 2013 - 10:26 AM

Join #hawkenscrim on Quakenet, they do scrims where ten or twelve people cram int a server that's as empty as possible and have organized, casual matches. If the tools were there for easier competitive organization, there'd probably be a lot more activity on the competitive scene for Hawken.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Contest, Event, Clan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users