HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

A Serious Case for an (OPTIONAL) third person view

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#81 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted September 04 2013 - 06:27 AM

View PostStarclear, on September 04 2013 - 04:32 AM, said:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on March 02 2013 - 12:20 AM, said:

Are you seriously suggesting placing COSMETICS before balance and adherence to the fact that Hawken is FIRST PERSON SHOOTER_

My reaction is your name: WAT

EDIT:
And you can't tell me that it isn't a real advantage. Something that useful does not end up being "optional".

http://youtu.be/_5nFa5ObxMg

If you bring it in tight enough to be useless, it's just going to be ugly.

Hang on a minute...mechwarrior online said throughout developement that it would be first person only and low and behold just recently they changed there mind and you can go third person if you wish,
but it does NOT give you an advantage all you can see really is your mech and as much of the landscape as first person.

At the end of the day if it brings in an extra few thousand players to game the devs will do it, but just as an option.

It's all about personal prefference, it's all up to you.

If you would even bother to read the entire thread, your "points" have already been refuted.  And 3rd person view is objectively advantageous to 1st person.  Read the fuzzy bunny thread, this is seriously getting me on edge that people don't realize this.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#82 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted September 04 2013 - 08:58 AM

View PostSilverfire, on September 04 2013 - 06:27 AM, said:

Are you seriously suggesting placing COSMETICS before balance and adherence to the fact that Hawken is FIRST PERSON SHOOTER_

EDIT:
And you can't tell me that it isn't a real advantage. Something that useful does not end up being "optional".

Hang on a minute...mechwarrior online said throughout developement that it would be first person only and low and behold just recently they changed there mind and you can go third person if you wish,
but it does NOT give you an advantage all you can see really is your mech and as much of the landscape as first person.

At the end of the day if it brings in an extra few thousand players to game the devs will do it, but just as an option.

If you would even bother to read the entire thread, your "points" have already been refuted.  And 3rd person view is objectively advantageous to 1st person.  Read the fuzzy bunny thread, this is seriously getting me on edge that people don't realize this.
And now you know why I have a Google doc full of rants ready for copy/paste.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#83 Teljaxx

Teljaxx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
  • LocationIn the thick of 8;;8

Posted September 04 2013 - 09:37 AM

After having recently played Battledrome again, I got an idea that may be a possible third person view implementation.

One of the pieces of equipment you can buy for your HERCs are camera probes. Normally they float above and behind your HERC, and you can switch to viewing yourself from their perspective. The more expensive ones can also be remote controlled, so you can place them around the arena to help you find your opponent. And the most expensive one can also be used as a remote controlled bomb. You can also shoot down your opponent's probes to deprive them of their extra viewpoints.

Something similar to this could be added to Hawken as an item or consumable. It could be a small destroyable camera drone that floats closely behind your mech for a short time, and each rank would last longer than the previous, at the cost of more slots and longer cooldown.

It may still give too much of an advantage this way, and make other items obsolete. But at least this way it would have costs associated with it, instead of simply being a menu option.
Always on the move / My trigger finger itches / If it moves, shoot it!  Posted Image8;;8

#84 Starclear

Starclear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationPompey

Posted September 04 2013 - 10:33 AM

View PostSilverfire, on September 04 2013 - 06:27 AM, said:

EDIT:

Have you played MWO recently__ you get no advantage what so ever in third person view.
, if done right.
Don't get me wrong i prefer First person view, at the end of the day Hawken is a buisiness and if they can bring in more players they will
and if you don't like third person view then don't use it...your choice.

Edited by Starclear, September 04 2013 - 10:35 AM.

#85 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted September 04 2013 - 10:38 AM

View PostStarclear, on September 04 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

Have you played MWO recently__ you get no advantage what so ever in third person view. Coz it's all about seeing your mech.
Don't get me wrong i prefer First person view, at the end of the day Hawken is a buisiness and if they can bring in more players they will
and if you don't like third person view then don't use it...your choice.
Except it definitely does give an advantage. Being outside of the cockpit in MWO allows you to see things you normally wouldn't, and that's because that is an inherent advantage to 3rd person.
And the "if you don't like it don't use it" comment is a terrible argument. If you don't use it, then your putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Please, for God's sake, read the thread already. This has already been covered.

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#86 Xionos

Xionos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted September 04 2013 - 10:49 AM

If you've ever played a shooter where you can switch between third and first person view, you'd know 3rd person has a distinct advantage for situational awareness.

For first person, not being able to know EXACTLY where your character is in space is a crippling disadvantage. You can switch between first person and third person in Firefall. Search up "Firefall PvP" on youtube, how many screencaps do you see BEHIND the character_ Almost all of them... and any screen where you see them in first person, they change to third person throughout the fight. At least Firefall has PvE, where it's still an advantage mind you, but the NPC's don't weigh it against you.

Optional third person is not optional for PvP.

EDIT: Also, you have a button you can third person in Hawken right now. Press G. It gives you some of the advantages of third person, looking around a corner, but comes with a tradeoff.

Edited by Xionos, September 04 2013 - 02:46 PM.

#87 FenixStryk

FenixStryk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • LocationUS-East

Posted September 05 2013 - 09:16 AM

Have you played MWO recently_ You get no advantage whatsoever in third person view.
Oh, are you sure_ No advantage whatsoever_

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'll take your word for it.

Edited by FenixStryk, September 05 2013 - 09:18 AM.

It was fun while it lasted.

#88 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Locationnear the north pole

Posted September 05 2013 - 09:26 AM

View PostFenixStryk, on September 05 2013 - 09:16 AM, said:

Have you played MWO recently_ You get no advantage whatsoever in third person view.
Oh, are you sure_ No advantage whatsoever_

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'll take your word for it.

Can we all just stop responding to this thread now and let it RIP in peace_

Edited by Exeon, September 05 2013 - 09:26 AM.

View PostDew, on April 04 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

There's a difference between making the hoop 14 feet high and telling all the players that you have to wait for half a second after running before you can shoot the ball.

#89 Guest_f_error_*

Guest_f_error_*
  • Guests

Posted September 05 2013 - 10:02 AM

Nope, this will keep going. :D
Let it be an advantage. Hawken wont survive without attracting enough players, so that split queues for pure 1st person and mixed or 3rd person matches would not be a problem anymore.
At that point your arguments change from "i dont want it, because it affects me in a negative way" to
"i dont want you to have it because ..." yeah, because why actually_

#90 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted September 05 2013 - 10:12 AM

View Postf_error, on September 05 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

Nope, this will keep going. :D
Let it be an advantage. Hawken wont survive without attracting enough players, so that split queues for pure 1st person and mixed or 3rd person matches would not be a problem anymore.
At that point your arguments change from "i dont want it, because it affects me in a negative way" to
"i dont want you to have it because ..." yeah, because why actually_

Are you... arguing with yourself..._

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#91 Guest_f_error_*

Guest_f_error_*
  • Guests

Posted September 05 2013 - 11:47 AM

I was, until you interrupted. Draw a number, take a seat. I gotta finish with the guys in my head first, then i'll have time for you. ;)

Seriously, weren't you the creative mind behind the Aliens vs Predators fight club_ (It was more like a four non blonds imitation club, but great to watch!)
Why are you so repressive against an idea, that as a feature would not even effect your side of the game at all_

#92 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted September 05 2013 - 11:59 AM

View Postf_error, on September 05 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

Why are you so repressive against an idea, that as a feature would not even effect your side of the game at all_

Because you have to look past the "wow, that's a great idea" and look what it actually effects. Unknown amount of players that may or may not join from adding in third person view, how many of those players would actually be paying players, is that amount worth the cost of the coding, balancing, UI updates, bug fixing, server maintenance, etc. while splitting the community_ It would effect my side, unintentionally, due to longer patches, separation of the community (competitive Hawken is already really hard to get going as it is) and possibly higher cost of MC items to be able to afford to keep third person mode working.

With a staff of near 30, they would NEED to hire more people just for this mode and salaries are costly. If such a feature ever did happen, it would be way down the road when the player base was a lot higher and they have the income to support it, but even then other things take more priorities like private servers.

Edited by Sylhiri, September 05 2013 - 12:03 PM.

#93 FenixStryk

FenixStryk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • LocationUS-East

Posted September 05 2013 - 12:00 PM

View PostExeon, on September 05 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

Can we all just stop responding to this thread now and let it RIP in peace_
Threads never die; they just become latent, waiting to break out once more.

View Postf_error, on September 05 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

I'm fairly sure AJK and others have covered this several times over, but I'll humor you. This one's on me.

If you think 3PV wouldn't influence "our side of the game," you aren't paying attention. Separate queues divide the player base, making it harder for both sides to find a game. Coincidentally, this is exactly why MWO changed their position and merged 3PV/FFP queues: there weren't enough players on either side, so they went back on their word (again) and put everyone in the same bucket.

If 3PV is added, it is not a choice. If you want to win, you have to use it. If you want to find a game, you have to fight people that use it. The moment it is added, everyone involved will be using 3PV whether they wanted it or not. By adding 3PV, Adhesive would be turning their back on their initial player base to appeal to a wider audience -- something that, at least for PGI, has proven to be dangerously self-destructive.

Segregation based on perspective when we are already dividing based on MMR and (on September 10th) Pilot Rank will massively increase player churn; there won't be enough people to play with, so people will walk away. It's not worth wasting development time for something a plurality doesn't want or need especially when it will hurt the game in the long term.

Let 3PV go.

It was fun while it lasted.

#94 Guest_f_error_*

Guest_f_error_*
  • Guests

Posted September 05 2013 - 12:22 PM

Sylhiri i thought you were one of the sane guys. (at least more than me) But this speech, is really bs. OF COURSE the devs have to value all that. They have to do it all the time, with nerfing this weapon or changing the hud or whatever. And many people, that keep asking for 3rdpv is a good base to start evaluating. You basically say, the devs would have to keep doing their job. So_ How about YOU GUYS stop trying to do their job_

Aside from that, 3rdpv IS already implemented. I dont mean the repair view, i mean a functional 3rdpv while playing. Houruck has posted videos of that, and it can be found on youtube.

@Fenix
AJK covers EVERYTHING in this forum. The same like these threads, he just becomes latent for a few minutes, waiting to break out once more. Maybe when his classes start ...

Harder to find a game_ It is already hard enough. How would all the high tier players get more trouble, if they cant find the 2200+ rooms NOW_ And how is that related to the arguments, that start with "IF hawken had enough players"_

"Turning their back"___ how about turning their front towards new players_ How about a good matchmaking, where you just flip one little radio button and will be teamed up with the people who want to play like you. Effectively, that might leave out a group of people to small to build a match. Currently that would be 3 people for team based modes. Not a troublesome number compared to the current situation and not a number that weights more than the players interested in 3rdpv.

There is almost no dev time to waste, because the camera has already been implemented as part of spectator view.

Look at that and tell me how "strong" that c-class would be, while he woudl not even see when a tow would be shot at him. 3rdpv does not mean you have to implement a high camera position or wide fov.

As before, there are MANY suggestions how to deal with all the things you have said. You can look them up.
But actually these threads keep staying the same because the "veterans" decided to be against it and stay like that, while repeating the same arguments over and over again, not matter how different the ideas about 3rdpv are.

Let US go with that ...

This seems to be the one topic in hawken, that gets me raging mad every single time.

Edited by f_error, September 05 2013 - 12:23 PM.

#95 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted September 05 2013 - 12:52 PM

View Postf_error, on September 05 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

Sylhiri i thought you were one of the sane guys. (at least more than me) But this speech, is really bs. OF COURSE the devs have to value all that. They have to do it all the time, with nerfing this weapon or changing the hud or whatever.

Changing weapon values  and minor hud adjustments are not the same as adjusting most of the game for a different view.

And many people, that keep asking for 3rdpv is a good base to start evaluating. You basically say, the devs would have to keep doing their job. So_ How about YOU GUYS stop trying to do their job_

Forums are not a good place to get data on what the entire community wants, even then what the community wants may not be good for the game or the creators vision on Hawken. Yes, the vision of Hawken. What they've been saying this whole time, wanting players to experience the game in the mech cockpit just like they would driving one. They put so much into trying to achieve this focus that going the opposite direction seems kind of pointless.

Aside from that, 3rdpv IS already implemented. I dont mean the repair view, i mean a functional 3rdpv while playing. Houruck has posted videos of that, and it can be found on youtube.

If your talking about spectator mode then its just as bare bones as repair view, I've been in it many times myself. It's just a floating camera that you can toggle to stick to a mech, spectator mode even has it's own bugs and problems. 3rd Person View would take so much development to be worth straying away from their original design. I just don't see this as a direction they want to go for now.

Edited by Sylhiri, September 05 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#96 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted September 05 2013 - 02:03 PM

Maybe when his classes start ...
I'm two weeks in, with multiple projects in my queue already.

Classes don't stop me.
They just slow me down.

AJK is right

#97 Guest_f_error_*

Guest_f_error_*
  • Guests

Posted September 05 2013 - 02:24 PM

View PostSylhiri, on September 05 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

Changing weapon values  and minor hud adjustments are not the same as adjusting most of the game for a different view.
"most of the game_" With a game that is based on UDK that already has 3rdpv included_ There are 2min setups to get it done. Of course it needs more work than this
http://udn.epicgames...d Person Camera
but it is not nearly as much work as you try to make it sound. And even if it was, why would we care_ IF it was too much work, then that should be the answer after the devs look at it, instead of a redundant stick that one gamers uses to hit another one.

Forums are not a good place to get data on what the entire community wants, even then what the community wants may not be good for the game or the creators vision on Hawken. Yes, the vision of Hawken. What they've been saying this whole time, wanting players to experience the game in the mech cockpit just like they would driving one. They put so much into trying to achieve this focus that going the opposite direction seems kind of pointless.
Who cares what "the entire community wants"_ If you try to satisfy that, you can not implement any game at all. I want to kill you, you want to kill me, how is that going to work out, ever_ You have much higher skills at this game, you kill me. So this game will never give me what i want in that direction. If they make it happen, you will leave because its rigged. The question is, how would the game change with an additional 3rdpv for people who want to use it without forcing anyone who does not want to use it, and is it a positive change_ And your negative aspects always apply perfectly to YOUR scenarios of what people seemingly but not actually suggest about 3rdpv.
They dont seem to care about the communities opinion about floating hud bars and the vision of "being in a mech", if we just get the cheap and unofficial excuse that its a visor thing. It wasnt a visor thing before.

If your talking about spectator mode then its just as bare bones as repair view, I've been in it many times myself. It's just a floating camera that you can toggle to stick to a mech, spectator mode even has it's own bugs and problems. 3rd Person View would take so much development to be worth straying away from their original design. I just don't see this as a direction they want to go for now.
What "so much more"_ Basic 3rdpv has a camera on a stick. Thats one more transformation between the current camera location and the 3rdpv one. Next problem is occlusion since the camera is now outside of the mechs bounding box. So you gotta invest a little and usually end up shortening the translation along the "stick out of the back" so that the camera wont be pushed through a wall. For firing you might even be able to reuse the 1stpv code.
Certainly they (better) dont have time for that now or in the near future. But please stop acting like 3rdpv is so hard to implement or the devs are so stupid.

#98 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted September 05 2013 - 02:31 PM

I have no idea why your getting so angry, lol.

Your acting like i'm saying "no" when I'm saying "not now".

#99 hkbrus

hkbrus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted September 05 2013 - 03:44 PM

+1 to no 3rd person. keep it FPS

#100 VitalEvergreen1

VitalEvergreen1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 05 2013 - 03:47 PM

The whole point to the game was to be a first-person shooter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users