HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

A Serious Case for an (OPTIONAL) third person view

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#61 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted August 13 2013 - 08:24 PM

View Postf_error, on August 13 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

You didnt understand my point. All the games you mentioned HAVE a 3pv. Hawken does not. That is the reason why people ask for it. You always act as if the wish for 3pv was something forbidden and stupid. It is not. And a game that does NOT have 3pv like hawken is obviously the perfect candidate for it. THAT was my whole point.
There is no logic to this. The lack of a feature does not mean that the addition of said feature automatically makes it better.

And this is especially true when something has been purposefully designed to operate without that feature or use said under specific, limited circumstances.

Very good. Thats rather a hint that devs minds can change about a lot of things instead of staying adamant about "never ever ever 3pv" just because someone (you) says they are such blockheads.
You haven't provided any proof like I asked for, for one thing, and aside from that, the introduction of energy weapons is not an equivalent situation as they do not require the splitting of the playerbase or introducing and inherent advantage.

Anyway, you're right in that they don't have to approve everything the first time around, but 3rd person is something they have actively denied in the past. It's one thing when they haven't said a peep, but another entirely when they've mentioned in interviews that they've purposefully built the game in 1st person for a reason.
So_ Thats again a reverse failed argument. We KNOW they dont want it, otherwise it would be there. But thats not based on some "universal laws" or "unfair advantages" its just their creative and subjective decision. And THAT is what i have been saying days ago. 3pv is not a stupid idea and people who ask for it are not complete idiots. The devs dont want it. Thats all and that is fine.
There are unfair advantages inherent in 3rd person perspective.
That is an objective truth, that can be proved using the scientific testing method. Whether you like it or not, that is fact. You can ignore and deny this as much as you want, but that changes nothing.

And keep in mind how much hawken is under development and still changes. Its not like TPV would be the feature to print cash.
The ability to change does not necessitate change. Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.
Keep that straw man to yourself. I never said that 3pv was a necessary change.
Learn what a straw man is, please. Ironic that you accuse me of straw-manning, because it is you who are misrepresenting my position in order to dismiss the argument.

My point still applies, because the change needs not be necessary.to be a bad idea. Like I said before, the lack of a function does not make the addition of said function to automatically be a positive change.

That is what i guessed. No how is there any implication to why the devs should like a 3pv or not or why 3pv would have to be prohibited by general laws of fairness_
Whether you want to admit it or not, 3rd person view provides distinct advantages over 1st person.

That is incorrect. The spectator view includes TPV. Many people are asking for it. It partly exists and is supposed to be the next step from the killcam.
Additionally it raises (or should) a lot more concern about abuse and "unfair advantage" since common spectator views also allow to follow enemies, while TPV does not.
Um... You didn't read what I said. It's obvious because you're denying what I'm saying by saying pretty much exactly what I said.
Actually its you, trying to make "points" where there a none. Of course we all say the same, because we all sum up the same general information. It is just YOU who claims that it proves all your points. It does not prove anything. That is why these "points" seem so complex and contradicting.
Okay. Let's get this straight...
I state that 3rd person view exists only in repair mode, and spectator modes (which includes killcam).
You stated, and I quote, "That is incorrect.", which you immediately follow with, "The spectator view includes TPV.".

I am not the one saying things that contradict themselves. You make the exact same statement of fact that I did, yet you claimed I was wrong. This is why I said you must not have read what I wrote. Because essentially what happened was that I said, "1+1=2", and you said "No, that's wrong. 1+1=2".

You claim things are complex and contradicting, but as far as I can tell, much of that confusion is self induced, if has served as any sort of example.

Delaying that information would make the specator completely useless as a watchmode for tournaments. If you call that "extremely easy" then what do you call a simple "noob light" above the head of a 3pv user_ What do you call the split of player queues for 1pv only and mixed views_ (which hawken, other than MW seemingly cant afford. THAT is a valid point against split queues.)
Completely false. Spectator delay is actually standard practice in tournaments. As for "noob lights" and population splits, those are arbitrary band-aid mechanics. Only neccessary because the advantages of 3rd person can't be naturally accounted for.

We KNOW that the devs are committed towards 1pv. That is why there is no 3pv. I said that days ago. Its their subjective decision for the course of hawken, and that is fine. Stop trying to make all this obvious information into "your points" why 3pv is wrong. You are better than that.
It is not entirely subjective.
Stop ignoring that some of "my points" are scientific fact. You are better than that, aren't you_

Immersion is the transformation of your awareness from your physical real world location and situation to the ingame situation. Effects like immersion are very dependent on constraints and cues. Especially when those cues are broken or contradicting, the immersion is low or the system gets a complete breakdown. A classic example are the borders of a monitor/canvas that overlay a 3d-effect in 3d cinema or games. This occlusion depth-cue (monocular) is stronger than the disparity or convergence (both binocular) and can easily destroy a simulation.
For "logical" cues it is mostly the same. If there are contradicting elements then the player will not feel immersed in the scene. The difference is that these cues are based on the persons subjective experience. While some people just blank out that "unlimited ammo" is not possible in the world of hawken, others dont. That is why the point of view is very important for logical immersion, while simple 3d-immersion etc. is mostly depending on cues that are similar between most healthy people. It is exactly BECAUSE immersion != realism, why it depends on the players point of view. If it was about realism, players would have common ground based on reality.
It is subjective up to a point, but not entirely subjective, therefor it is a matter of game mechanics.

And games aren't simply "something else" before they get certain features. There is a design and intended path that they follow.
LOL. (sry)
Do you have understanding of how games are built_ The fact that you laugh at what I said implies you don't really understand the game development process.

An accurate analogy would be like saying, "Mom, could I have icing on the cake_"
"No dear, this particular type of cake isn't meant to have icing on it. By putting icing on it, it unbalances the flavors and makes the cake worse."
See_ "Unbalanced flavor". Its not like your "the cake goes up in flames and destroys the whole town"-argument that "unfair advante" would equal to. NOW its a matter of flavor and therefore taste. I eat my cheesecake with aioli, you probably dont. Some people want their hawken with 3pv. Mom (devs) does not approve, so they dont get it. But that makes it neither a stupid request nor them stupid people.
I'm sorry, I should have said "A more accurate analogy would be like...", because you're right, my analogy does present it as a matter of subjective taste, which is incaccurate.
There are objective issues with 3rd person view, therefor my more accurate analogy still wouldn't be accurate.

For the record, equesting 3rd person doesn't make a person stupid.
However, repeatedly ignoring scientifically proven facts, repeatedly ignoring the concept that the devs have purposefully designed Hawken without 3rd person piloting, repeatedly bringing up the topic as if it's new, only to have the debate restart over and over and over and other such things is...

Well, it's not the most enlightened approach, now is it_

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#62 Chancellor

Chancellor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationSlimin in ya gurl lyke it's muh buziness.

Posted August 13 2013 - 09:51 PM

Wow. And people say IM hard-headed.

#63 Guest_f_error_*

Guest_f_error_*
  • Guests

Posted August 14 2013 - 03:04 AM

Ok, i am sorry. You are right and i am wrong. I sign everything you say. If you are still concerned about how i don't understand your "proven scientific facts", make it a publication or workshop and lets meet at the next bigger conference about computer vision, hci, gaming etc. Maybe you can explain things like immersion and "natural accounting" to the people who work in this field. Maybe invite some of the Mechwarrior guys too and explain to them why all their testing is wrong.
As for know, please claim your "flawless victory in an online discussion".
Thank you for all the enlightenment and lets not meet again. :)

#64 Rahh_Vende

Rahh_Vende

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • LocationPirun rantasaunassa Tuonenvirran varrella, ylimmillä lauteilla. Alasti prkl!

Posted August 14 2013 - 03:36 AM

What I'd like to know is, how in the holy heavens do/would people have the time to oggle at their mech during game_ Only time I have time to admire my mech is while repairing, and there alreadi is 3pv while repping... But maybe that's just me.

P.S

NO THIRD PERSON, THANK YOU!

Edited by Rahh_Vende, August 14 2013 - 03:37 AM.

Posted Image

#65 Guest_f_error_*

Guest_f_error_*
  • Guests

Posted August 14 2013 - 05:31 AM

View PostRahh_Vende, on August 14 2013 - 03:36 AM, said:

What I'd like to know is, how in the holy heavens do/would people have the time to oggle at their mech during game_ Only time I have time to admire my mech is while repairing, and there alreadi is 3pv while repping... But maybe that's just me.
Look at the mechwarrior testvideos on youtube if you cant imagine it. Especially for a noob who gets beaten up anyway it might be alot more fun to see the action more from a spectator view. It is closer to mecha movies/animes etc. and with hawkens stunning visuals it would be really entertaining. :)

Edited by f_error, August 14 2013 - 06:09 AM.

#66 diablodevil2

diablodevil2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted August 14 2013 - 05:50 AM

What about fourth person_

=p

#67 Guest_f_error_*

Guest_f_error_*
  • Guests

Posted August 14 2013 - 06:11 AM

View Postdiablodevil2, on August 14 2013 - 05:50 AM, said:

What about fourth person_
Thats mostly the effect of free specator mode right_ (as much as it can be in hawken) What about it_ You think it will become a problem_
Or would you suggest keeping control over your mech while have a free camera_

Edited by f_error, August 14 2013 - 06:13 AM.

#68 Therris

Therris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted August 14 2013 - 10:02 AM

The same taliing points for third person in this game are the same talking points for third person in ANY game....

The 'immersion' argument is not valid imho, in the same way that FPS do not immerse me in any way. It's closer to putting on peripheral blinders or wearing a motorcycle helmet with no peripheral awareness...

There is nothing unique about a mech game vs. a non-mech game that justifies limiting to first person perspectives.  Frankly EVERY game should offer both options, with separate competitive environments so all the FPS fans don't cry foul because of perceived advantages of third person...

I've always been a third person fan. I just love the ability to actually SEE the cool things your character/mech is doing.  First person always feels like a half-ass version of gameplay, and requires a lot less development from what I understand.

#69 Guest_f_error_*

Guest_f_error_*
  • Guests

Posted August 14 2013 - 11:23 AM

View PostTherris, on August 14 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

First person always feels like a half-ass version of gameplay, and requires a lot less development from what I understand.
Thats not really true. The "outside view" has to be created anyway in a multiplayer title, since all the mechs are the same as movable 3pv cameras. In a single player game you can reduce rendering of the avatar and would certainly not invest much into animating parts of the mech that cannot be seen anyway. The cockpit view on the other hand, requires additional work. And in the case of hawken it seems, the cockpit is so much work that they wont bother updating them for triple-head displays. (at least that is what i remember from one of those threads)

For the rest, yes! I know what you mean. :)

Edited by f_error, August 14 2013 - 11:24 AM.

#70 MexichanMan

MexichanMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationUS - East

Posted August 14 2013 - 11:47 AM

I've always been a third person fan. I just love the ability to actually SEE the cool things your character/mech is doing.  First person always feels like a half-ass version of gameplay, and requires a lot less development from what I understand.

What do you understand about game development_ Seriously, give us the reason that it requires a lot less development before you call a design decision "half-assed". If you don't have any evidence for this then please do not try to use game development practices as an argument.
Black Steel Brotherhood: http://bsb-gaming.com
Stream: http://twitch.tv/mexichanman
Join the first competitive Hawken league!  
http://www.tpgleague.org/hwk/

#71 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted August 14 2013 - 03:29 PM

First person always feels like a half-ass version of gameplay, and requires a lot less development from what I understand.
Fun fact: What looks good in 1st person perspective generally looks terrible in 3rd person.

Case in point, when Dead Island accidentally uploaded their dev version to Steam, for about a day people were able to play with dev functions. One such function was that ability to see 3rd person in a game not meant for it.

As you can see, the animations look totally absurd. That's because the animations were designed only to be seen in 1st person. When you play many modern shooters, when you see other players, you're actually seeing a different set of animations, specifically designed to be seen from a 3rd person perspective so that they look natural. And don't forget, you have to code the game so the 3rd person animations and 1st person animations sync up.

The same thing applies to building the character models too. Generally, things that are going to be in your face at all times (weapons, arms, etc.) are going to have to be fairly high-poly assets, while what would be viewed from 3rd person can be lower, especially if it's only meant to be viewed from 3rd.

If you've ever played one of the modern Fallout or Oblivion games, where you can switch between 1st and 3rd, you can see how stiff and strange the animations look in 3rd person. In 1st person, the also don't look great. That's what happens when you make compromises so you can have both.

tl;dr
Doing 1st person requires at least the same amount of work, if not more than, 3rd person.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#72 Fstroke

Fstroke

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted August 15 2013 - 05:07 AM

Well said AJK.

Cant believe this thread is still a thing.
3rd person in MW was bs and annoying. Allows you to see players not in your direct line of sight.

The only implementations of third person I would ever want to see is a replay mode of some sort. You can record your actions in a match and watch it afterwords. Not really crazy about spectator mode or killcam for that matter.

It would be cool to watch and see where I made mistakes to get better. Or oogle at myself after a particularly sexy match.

Oh yeah and because FPS and all that.

Edited by Fstroke, August 15 2013 - 05:09 AM.

#73 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted August 15 2013 - 06:49 AM

Then you clearly don't understand much about game development.
Posted Image

#74 Zero000

Zero000

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted August 16 2013 - 06:32 PM

Sooooo..... In hindsight there shouldn't be a 3rd person view when repairing your mech_
And yes tacPosted Imageti·cal·ly this is good to make sure no one is sneaking up on you while you repair, but it is still a 3rd person view.

Personally I want to remove or disable the very annoying 3rd person view "kill cam" :angry: . Who killed me_ OH Yeah! That's the 3rd person view of who killed me repairing. :angry:

#75 Guest_f_error_*

Guest_f_error_*
  • Guests

Posted August 17 2013 - 12:30 AM

You can disable it in the ini files. Theres a kill-cam-third-person-view: true/false option.
Check the forum for details.

#76 FRX23

FRX23

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted August 17 2013 - 01:03 AM

Sometimes i go in repair mode just to spy on corners :P

#77 Guest_f_error_*

Guest_f_error_*
  • Guests

Posted August 17 2013 - 08:16 AM

I dont have time for that. I gotta kill and die fast before match is over or disconnect comes. :D

Edited by f_error, August 17 2013 - 08:17 AM.

#78 Krellus

Krellus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 04:26 PM

i would looooove 3rd person view option. if considered unfair, have 3rd person only servers. it would be so fun.

#79 Necroledo

Necroledo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted August 25 2013 - 02:15 PM

Why not have a customizable cockpit_ The same way you'd do in your car with bobble heads and fuzzy dice (not those specifically, but you get the idea). It would feel so much more like your own mech and would give it a feeling of character. You could have pictures stuck to the inside of the mech with images you input yourself.
I like this idea. Sometimes I think cockpits are a bit generic (even though they're VERY detailed, and you can choose your HUD's color): being able to customize them would be very interesting.
I've been thinking about this whole topic for a few days. The only custom things I have on my Rocketeer are its Alpha/Beta camos and its H2O drone, which I got just because I had some spare Meteor credits from the closed Beta, and because I just love drones (is your mech tired, dirty and overheated from a tight fight_ Give it a relaxing shower and rest for a bit). I'd love to give it some cool nozzles, but... I can't see them excepting at the garage, and are only visible at close distance. Right now, they're not an attractive cosmetic item to buy, because you, the user, can't see it yourself in all its flaming glory. Drones and camo, however, are different: you see them whenever you do repairs, and if you play wise, you'll be repairing often.

#80 Starclear

Starclear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationPompey

Posted September 04 2013 - 04:32 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on March 02 2013 - 12:20 AM, said:

Are you seriously suggesting placing COSMETICS before balance and adherence to the fact that Hawken is FIRST PERSON SHOOTER_

My reaction is your name: WAT

EDIT:
And you can't tell me that it isn't a real advantage. Something that useful does not end up being "optional".

http://youtu.be/_5nFa5ObxMg

If you bring it in tight enough to be useless, it's just going to be ugly.

Hang on a minute...mechwarrior online said throughout developement that it would be first person only and low and behold just recently they changed there mind and you can go third person if you wish,
but it does NOT give you an advantage all you can see really is your mech and as much of the landscape as first person.

At the end of the day if it brings in an extra few thousand players to game the devs will do it, but just as an option.

It's all about personal prefference, it's all up to you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users