HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Less Cluttered HUD / Enemy spotted indicator - (pic inside)

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#41 KaszaWspraju

KaszaWspraju

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted March 14 2013 - 05:37 PM

I know it does not exist, but it is PERFECT, We are waiting for a class B cockpit.

View Posterathic, on March 14 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

Thanks for the feedback !

her's an update of A class HUD and a C Class version

also as reported on the initial post, suggestions  :

Global/ settings :
  • Option (in the settings) to hide/display bullet infos about gained XP and bonus
  • PER MECH HUD color choice ( maybe it can count as a custimization and cost MC/HC)
  • PER CLASS HUD, A-B-C class have minor graphical and positions variations
  • Colorblind Modes
In-game behavior :
  • Refine the "Enemy Sighted" marker
  • Split tchat box and dynamic scoring
  • Most HUD placed in less view-obtrusive positions (corners / over cockpit elements)
  • Add little transparency on all HUD elements
  • small Icons to replace "killed by" /suicides text
  • Enemy spotting outline disappears as soon as the mech doing the spotting breaks line-of-sight. (WarlordZ)
  • spotted enemies wich are out of sight and out of radar displayed on a border line of the radar
  • Out of radar allies displayed on the same radar border line
  • On minimap : Enemies : Full circles - Allies: Empty circles with border
  • Spotted : blink fast  + an " ! " in the center
  • Number of players in each team displayed at the side of the minimap
  • Numbered grid cells on the full map
Posted Image

Posted Image

It would be nice if the heatbar changed the color, example from yellow to red, with a heating gun. Then you would add the option to disable the "red" weapons.

Additionally, the LED next to the LED with mech skill, could serve as a warning to "lock on" you.

Edited by KaszaWspraju, March 14 2013 - 05:48 PM.

INTEL i5-4670K * ASUS Z87-A * GOODRAM DDR3 2x4GB * GIGABYTE GTX 760 OC rev 2.0 * X-Fi XTREME MUSIC * GRADO SR-60

SAMSUNG EVO 120GB * OCZ STEALTHXSTREAM 2 600W * Win 7 64
@ defekt : Mobility is King and burst damage is Queen. Checkmate.
Gdy byłem młodszy byłem bardziej beztroski... aha... nie lubię już POLSKI !

#42 KaszaWspraju

KaszaWspraju

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted March 14 2013 - 05:40 PM

View PostScapes, on March 14 2013 - 05:33 PM, said:

Looking pretty slick!
I understand that it is already beginning to work on the implementation of this_ ^_^

But seriously, make good use of it, and as soon as possible, hmm .. no, I want this now !

Edited by KaszaWspraju, March 14 2013 - 05:49 PM.

INTEL i5-4670K * ASUS Z87-A * GOODRAM DDR3 2x4GB * GIGABYTE GTX 760 OC rev 2.0 * X-Fi XTREME MUSIC * GRADO SR-60

#43 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted March 14 2013 - 06:23 PM

how do I get that into my game :(
Posted Image

#44 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted March 14 2013 - 06:25 PM

sweet, I'm really liking where this is going mate :)
Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#45 Kerc_Kersa

Kerc_Kersa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationRight here.

Posted March 14 2013 - 08:44 PM

Those HUD's are just epic looking lol. I wish I could play with those right now :D

I may have missed it in the OP, but shouldn't the client have the option to change the color of the entire HUD from yellow to w/e they want_

I believe someone pointed out that some people are colorblind to yellow as well. So there isn't any one HUD color that will please all.

Edited by HawkEyE_, March 14 2013 - 08:46 PM.

#46 KaszaWspraju

KaszaWspraju

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted March 15 2013 - 06:18 AM

As I know life, we will have to wait long for a new Hud and certainly will not be as good as @erathic did. Devs, unfortunately, have a lot more restrictions in the design.

Edited by KaszaWspraju, March 15 2013 - 06:19 AM.

#47 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 15 2013 - 06:48 AM

At this moment, I think that adding transparency to the HUD and also to the tactical markers would be a great step forward. Less intrusive assets rendered on the HUD in Siege and MA modes would be much appreciated as well.

Additionally, reinforcing the logics on when harvesting EUs and/or when to defend/dominate structures on the map, well via graying out or higlighting the EU display, and combining visuals in between HUD and radar in order to highlight actions to follow would be great too.

Also, I've always thought that a combination of "noisy" wave-sounds and one flashing red circle into an integrated display in the cockpit would be the best visual option to handle incomings.... I personally don't like "incoming" text strings rendered on the HUD.

Hey, I like this thread. Yup. ;)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#48 erathic

erathic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSentium Design HQ

Posted March 15 2013 - 06:56 AM

I'll try to improve my Hud suggestions to work (not  best but at least playable) in graytones. I think if its readable in grayscales it should in any color _

I'm really not sure that it work as expected in "real gameplay" situations, with movements everywhere, etc..
I tried to analyze (again) the current HUD during my lunchtime at work today in training mode/firefights (Thanks a LOT to have enable mech change in it ADHguys! )

However if they plan adding some kind of official Firefight moden HUD should be reworked a bit to avoid this :

Posted Image

I wich the old "repair+esc" to hide HUD was still live to test it with/withoud HUD (is there a secret combokey to enable it_ :P)

View PostThe_Silencer, on March 15 2013 - 06:48 AM, said:

Adding transparency to the HUD and to the tactical markers
Less intrusive assets rendered on the HUD in Siege and MA modes
Reinforcing the logics on when harvesting EUs and/or when to defend/dominate structures on the map, via graying out or higlighting the EU display
and combining visuals in between HUD and radar in order to highlight actions to follow
"noisy" wave-sounds and one flashing red circle into an integrated display in the cockpit to handle "incomings"

Sounds great !!

Edited by erathic, March 15 2013 - 07:24 AM.

Posted Image

#49 Tomino_sama

Tomino_sama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted March 15 2013 - 12:12 PM

1. Actually looks like a HUD
2. Styled differently for each Class type
3. Can be made to work for Colour Blind Pilots

Kudos. I hope that this idea can be used by the Dev's
Posted Image

www.amegakure.co.uk

[HWK]SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS! said:

Remember any time spent redoing things is time not spent adding new things.

#50 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 15 2013 - 02:07 PM

Would be cool to have many of those ideas integrated in the cockpit. Also the icon indicating when the player is speaking/typing would be a great addition. Like it. Diversifying events and player's chat on the bottom is a nice idea. I don't like much the extra S1,S2,S3, chunks though. Maybe radial percentages of the icons on top and color changes/radio button might suffice.

Nevertheless, great ideas in here!

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#51 torc

torc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted March 16 2013 - 06:55 AM

well those new HUD screenshot looks amazing, but if i can suggest something having the possibility to customize the icons positions would be great (basically as a desktop rainmeter skin do) and also some  HUD packs choices that people can buy with meteor points :)

Posted Image

#52 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 16 2013 - 09:01 AM

View Posttorc, on March 16 2013 - 06:55 AM, said:

well those new HUD screenshot looks amazing, but if i can suggest something having the possibility to customize the icons positions would be great (basically as a desktop rainmeter skin do) and also some  HUD packs choices that people can buy with meteor points :)
As for example fuzzy-dices and other goodies for fun.. :)

Edited by The_Silencer, March 16 2013 - 09:01 AM.

Posted Image

#53 tman7919

tman7919

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationIn the garage with my Bruiser

Posted March 16 2013 - 11:10 AM

Okay to be honest the HUD we have now is cluttered in the center otherwise it seems fine. Your HUD is more appealing but there is a lot going on all over the place. I would want a combination from the HUD we have now and yours.
Bruiser or Bust! (Why do I have a raider in this picture_)
Posted Image
My Youtube With Hawken Videos   Hawken Fan-fiction

#54 SystemX

SystemX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted March 16 2013 - 07:54 PM

I like where this is going! I really like the fact chat and kills are broken into two separated locations. Also thumbs up on the mini map look and design.

First image is just about spot on most of the important info is in the center of the screen and easy to read. A few suggestions though.

Make the center cross hair of the target redicles white the yellow blends in with that environment a bit much. possibly flash red if you score a hit on a target.

Heat percentages for the heat bar should never be vertical, make them horizontal so we can read them properly.

Second image needs a bit of work.

The bar running over the center covers up the INCOMING warning too much.  

Heat indicators way too high up and not able to see them easily during combat with preferal vision with out taking your eyes completely off of your target. Need to make it more centralized.

General

The enemy target square is a bit disorienting especially when multiple of them overlap. possibly making them a bracket [X] shape, or just the corners of the diamond. Thicken up the lines a tad.

I have always felt the fuel indicator should be larger for this game. increase the size of that by 20-30% As it is such a large part of the game.

Keep up the good work!
Character Artist
http://www.zackw.com

#55 torc

torc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted March 17 2013 - 01:15 AM

View PostThe_Silencer, on March 16 2013 - 09:01 AM, said:

View Posttorc, on March 16 2013 - 06:55 AM, said:

As for example fuzzy-dices and other goodies for fun.. :)

Sure, but i think The team could work on different HUD styles (despite some goodies would be appreciated.)
One of the most important thing in the game are the cockpits, and since we cannot see our mech from external view during the whole gameplay, i think a more customizable cockpit, HUD Layout Cockpit deign etc would be a great improvement and could bring some additional money to Hawken team :)

Posted Image

#56 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted March 17 2013 - 10:53 AM

View Posterathic, on March 09 2013 - 05:45 PM, said:

i know that the "menus all over the screen" is somehow part of the "mech" experience and feel, but i find it very obtrusive, to the point that sometimes it can be annoying during fights or and alter the visual experience of the real-time environement and action happening on-screen.I know the game is in beta and hopefully things will change, however here's a little sketch reflecting what i'm expecting for future HUD updates.

Global/ settings :
  • Option (in the settings) to hide/display bullet infos about gained XP and bonus
  • PER MECH HUD color choice ( maybe it can count as a custimization and cost MC/HC)
  • PER CLASS HUD, A-B-C class have minor graphical and positions variations
  • Colorblind support (Beefsweat)
In-game behavior :
  • Refine the "Enemy Sighted" marker
  • Split tchat box and dynamic scoring
  • Most HUD placed in less view-obtrusive positions (corners / over cockpit elements)
  • Add little transparency on all HUD elements
  • small Icons to replace "killed by" /suicides text
  • Xp gains, etc.. Not in the critical line of sight
  • Enemy spotting outline disappears as soon as the mech doing the spotting breaks line-of-sight. (WarlordZ)
  • spotted enemies wich are out of sight and out of radar displayed on a border line of the radar
  • Out of radar allies displayed on the same radar border line
  • On minimap : Enemies : Full circles - Allies: Empty circles with border
  • Spotted : blink fast  + an " ! " in the center
  • Number of players in each team displayed at the side of the minimap
  • Move some elements to the FULL MAP Interface (so it become for used/tactical)
  • Numbered grid cells on the full map
  • Less intrusive assets rendered on the HUD in Siege and MA modes(The_Silencer)
  • Reinforcing the logics on when harvesting EUs and/or when to defend/dominate structures on the map, via graying out or higlighting the EU display and combining visuals in between HUD and radar in order to highlight actions to follow(The_Silencer)
  • "noisy" wave-sounds and one flashing red circle into an integrated display in the cockpit to handle "incomings" (The_Silencer)
  • Chassis type indicator (for mech recognition) (N0stalgia)
Latest update :Work in progress

Posted Image

Posted Image

I like, but the crosshair needs to be customizable.
"... And I gazed once more unto the looking glass, but with a clear and unclouded will..."

#57 erathic

erathic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSentium Design HQ

Posted March 17 2013 - 01:34 PM

B-class & update :
  • player killed player = player (mech type) player
  • minimal and concentrated to bottom objective infos and tchat

Posted Image

Posted Image

#58 KaszaWspraju

KaszaWspraju

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted March 17 2013 - 01:39 PM

Posted Image

Well fuzzy bunny :wub: , This is too good to have been implemented in this year.
PLZ stop torture me your great work. I know, I do not get it in my cockpit! more plz!

Edited by KaszaWspraju, March 17 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#59 Dagon

Dagon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationunder the wreckage

Posted March 17 2013 - 01:59 PM

Less cluttered_ That concept pic looks like a mess. Honestly if the text was a little smaller in the current HUD and differentiated between kills and player chat I'd be fine.

#60 KaszaWspraju

KaszaWspraju

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted March 17 2013 - 02:14 PM

View PostDagon, on March 17 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

Less cluttered_ That concept pic looks like a mess. Honestly if the text was a little smaller in the current HUD and differentiated between kills and player chat I'd be fine.
Posted Image

Edited by KaszaWspraju, March 17 2013 - 02:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users