HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Less Cluttered HUD / Enemy spotted indicator - (pic inside)

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#61 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted March 17 2013 - 04:28 PM

View Posterathic, on March 17 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

B-class & update :
  • player killed player = player (mech type) player
  • minimal and concentrated to bottom objective infos and tchat
Posted Image

nice, you actually used the curved bar thingies as the heat indicators_ It was apparently like that in alpha or something
Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#62 torc

torc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted March 18 2013 - 12:33 AM

i like the concept, but the overheat bars should go in the center and have to be more thin...in this way there are in the main area and make them thin and using a bit of transparency will reduce the ''invasive'' effects bars have in game and in your concept (the heat bars cockpit were abandoned in alpha...thrust me them are useless in that position)

Posted Image

#63 KaszaWspraju

KaszaWspraju

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted March 18 2013 - 04:29 AM

(the heat bars cockpit were abandoned in alpha...thrust me them are useless in that position)

Trust me, they are not useless in that position. Beautifully seen in the last project, as we have a clear field of view.

INTEL i5-4670K * ASUS Z87-A * GOODRAM DDR3 2x4GB * GIGABYTE GTX 760 OC rev 2.0 * X-Fi XTREME MUSIC * GRADO SR-60

SAMSUNG EVO 120GB * OCZ STEALTHXSTREAM 2 600W * Win 7 64
@ defekt : Mobility is King and burst damage is Queen. Checkmate.
Gdy byłem młodszy byłem bardziej beztroski... aha... nie lubię już POLSKI !

#64 torc

torc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted March 18 2013 - 07:19 AM

iirc in alpha this was one of the major complaints, and devs changet it very soon.
That said, i think the more HUD customization we have, the better.
There are a lot of games that support different HUD Layouts, many of them are pretty much old so i think would be doable in Hawken :)

I'd like to insist on an almost free HUD customizations, choosing from different layouts and colors,obviously payin'for this (so the Devs will be happy)  :)

Posted Image

#65 KaszaWspraju

KaszaWspraju

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted March 18 2013 - 07:43 AM

iirc in alpha this was one of the major complaints, and devs changet it very soon.
...and it was the worst change in Hawken, Beautifully separated mech from player.  imo

Narrow vision - unfortunately a very popular trend in today's projects Hud. So now we have: tag enemy, xp text, heat bars in Crossair, duplicate notifications such as fuel and  eu. Everything is thrown into centum of view, and we have a big mess like now.

That's why I really like the design hud made ​​by @erathic. The colors really fit a lot better. If I want some information just look in the right place, and during the intense fighting, anything after the heatbar and the health is not really need. I know that, it takes getting used to.  And we can see that playing with this Hud, has a lot more immersion for the player, the player is more involved in game, than just looking at the Crossair. Some like it, others do not.

That said, i think the more HUD customization we have, the better.
I agree.

Edited by KaszaWspraju, March 18 2013 - 09:15 AM.

INTEL i5-4670K * ASUS Z87-A * GOODRAM DDR3 2x4GB * GIGABYTE GTX 760 OC rev 2.0 * X-Fi XTREME MUSIC * GRADO SR-60

#66 erathic

erathic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSentium Design HQ

Posted March 18 2013 - 09:47 AM

Totally chaothic and unreliable during fights, but wow, to me "This" is the Hawken i'm expecting
but I understand that to appeal  a bigger/younger audience, and maybe reduce the "frustrating debut" clear big bold things and arrows are relevant.

Before going further i'll create a poll including posted ideas and submit them to votes,
to have a better/clearer understanding of things that matter to the community.

During the alphas was the HUD unreadability a major issue_ Did a lot of players complained about it _

Posted Image

Posted Image

#67 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 18 2013 - 09:50 AM

The more visibility or sight the better.

BTW; would not be a terrible idea to minimize and auto-maximize those squared displays when would be appropiate or relevant. Individually per "graphical item" I mean. Yes_

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#68 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted March 18 2013 - 10:13 AM

View Posterathic, on March 18 2013 - 09:47 AM, said:

During the alphas was the HUD unreadability a major issue_ Did a lot of players complained about it _

Yes, HUD readability was a major issue. The graphical shaking/blinking of the HUD elements was removed because it was causing a lot of people motion sickness (also one of the reasons why the "accurate reticle" was removed), the heat bars were moved closer to the crosshair because players found it almost unanimously easier to focus on them there, some crosshair details were changed for accuracy and colors/fonts were changed for better contrast... they also removed those smoke and spark effects from inside the cockpit for reasons unknown. It would be neat if there were options to bring these kind of 'immersion features' back, but I personally doubt that will ever happen.
Posted Image

#69 Gree

Gree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted March 18 2013 - 10:17 AM

Still don't know why they changed it. This one is much more realistic
P.s:I didn't liked the zoom. The new one is the only thing better. Also, the aiming reticle is now better, but anyway...

Edited by Gree, March 18 2013 - 10:20 AM.

#70 KaszaWspraju

KaszaWspraju

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted March 18 2013 - 10:30 AM

View PostBeefsweat, on March 18 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

Yes, HUD readability was a major issue. The graphical shaking/blinking of the HUD elements was removed because it was causing a lot of people motion sickness (also one of the reasons why the "accurate reticle" was removed), the heat bars were moved closer to the crosshair because players found it almost unanimously easier to focus on them there, some crosshair details were changed for accuracy and colors/fonts were changed for better contrast... they also removed those smoke and spark effects from inside the cockpit for reasons unknown. It would be neat if there were options to bring these kind of 'immersion features' back, but I personally doubt that will ever happen.

Exactly, they remove these things, instead of leaving as an option, and now I play the shooter, not the Hawken.

#71 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, CO

Posted March 19 2013 - 03:56 PM

I would rather use the original cockpit element overheat bars from before but the rest of the New UI you came up with I like erathic except for the cluttering in the lower cockpit. But other wise i like is but would rather see the original cockpit overheat bars. Not the ones used now and not your overly glowing ones you put where the originals were on your b class update.

Sorry just my thoughts.

#72 DER3Z

DER3Z

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • LocationCleveland,Ohio

Posted March 19 2013 - 04:24 PM

Amazing job erathic, this looks amazing i would love to see this put into hawken. I would agree the hud is not where it should very boring, when i seen your hud screen you made i was pretty impressed like always =)

The sole survivor of BSB

Twitching channel

http://www.twitch.tv...eel_brotherhood

Star citizen

https://robertsspace...m/orgs/STARWIND

#73 HugeGuts

HugeGuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted March 19 2013 - 08:20 PM

B-class & update :
Posted Image

I want it! No, I need it! I NEED IT!!

#74 SirCannonFodder

SirCannonFodder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationCairns, Australia

Posted March 20 2013 - 02:59 AM

B-class & update :

It... it's beautiful.

Posted Image
Australian_ Like Hawken_ Then join the Drop Bears! Or actually maybe don't, since it's kind of dead.

#75 Houruck

Houruck

Final Siege Boss

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,190 posts
  • LocationBudapest, Hungary (UTC+2)

Posted March 20 2013 - 03:24 AM

I think I am not breaking the NDA by stating this is from pre-Alpha 2.

Knight of the Holy Tree

CRITICAL ASSIST
United in Diversity, Divided by Zero

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

#76 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 20 2013 - 06:50 AM

Maybe that cross-hair... should not have any solid color in the middle. You know, the more sight the better ;)

Nevertheless, that's an amazing and well done job, erathic. I really like it due that would add value to the game, indeed.

Edited by The_Silencer, March 20 2013 - 06:51 AM.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#77 Flagge69

Flagge69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted March 20 2013 - 11:04 AM

man, I cant Quote Posts or using the Texteditor here at all, whats wrong with this Forum_
the latest HUD scetch is really dope, great layout ... but isnt it a bit ro much MWO like, with all the overlays_
as everyone is more or less analysing the HUD as one plays, here is what I got ...
I think the current hud does a really great jop of centering all the importent information in the center of the screen, so you dont need to scan across the whole screen in order to collect the information, in fact all info regarding your mech and your own performence can
be reached by moving your eyes only a few inches away from the center of the screen ...
following that, the headindicators at the cokpit pillars is a bad idea ... even more if you think about that only a few players will use the maximum Field of view available and the pillars at least for the b-class are constantly moving outside the screen when dodging and moving in general ...
using a smaller FoV has the benefit that everything in the center of the screen becomes much bigger, better to aim at ... of course you trade overview at the borders of the screen for that effect ...
also the hawken UI is doing a great job in reducing the distration and clutter of on screen indicators and HUD
elements ...
.Posted Image
so why not go even further and integrate even the match stats into the mechs own virtual cockpit _ keeping overlay style elements restricted to the area where the virtual cockpit of the mech is displaying its own HUD ..
.Posted Image
can you spot the difference ;)
Posted Image
.the game.mode.indiator area can also be used to Display the remaining time in Deathmatch
.greeting

Edited by Flagge69, March 20 2013 - 11:24 AM.

#78 Xuande

Xuande

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationShai Hulud

Posted March 20 2013 - 11:26 AM

My god...I want OP's HUD so badass. I hope UI changes are in the next big update.

Edited by Xuande, April 08 2013 - 02:12 PM.

Ol' Betsy || CR-T Recruit   Jethro || Raider
Jim Bob || Beserker    Big Bertha || Brawler
Bubba || Bruiser            Billy-Bob || Technician
Bobby-Joe || Reaper
My name is pronounced (Shuahn-duuh) not (Juan-dee).

#79 KaszaWspraju

KaszaWspraju

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted March 20 2013 - 11:40 AM

I think the current hud does a really great jop of centering all the importent information in the center of the screen, so you dont need to scan across the whole screen in order to collect the information, in fact all info regarding your mech and your own performence can
be reached by moving your eyes only a few inches away from the center of the screen
hmm:
http://www.erathic.c...s_firefight.png
http://farm9.staticf...06d70353f_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticf...255cacc16_b.jpg
..rather not. The  importent information in the center of the screen are obscured by junk info.

Info Area is practically useless, you can read a line of text, and the rest are too small. There is no distinction between the teams.

following that, the headindicators at the cokpit pillars is a bad idea ... even more if you think about that only a few players will use the maximum Field of view available and the pillars at least for the b-class are constantly moving outside the screen when dodging and moving in general.

also the hawken UI is doing a great job in reducing the distration and clutter of on screen indicators and HUD
elements ...

There are tree different ways information of overheating mech. At least one of them could fit into the concept of play in the cockpit, instead of playing a simple shooter. For some, it still is not enough, thanks to them devs add and multiply functions.

Two ways to provide information on the fuel and the EU. There are two ways information on objectives in the game mode. Some of those  does not appear constantly, but I do not need a pop-up information.

Current hud works, but call that "great job", it's a bit of an exaggeration.

Edited by KaszaWspraju, March 20 2013 - 11:53 AM.

#80 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationColumbia Internet

Posted March 20 2013 - 12:02 PM

B-class & update :
Posted Image

DO WANT !!
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. -George Orwell's Animal Farm
BEGIN Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK
GCS d_ s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+++ L++++ E--- W+(++) N++ o+++ K+++ w--- !O M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y(++) PGP+++ t* 5(-) X R- tv- b- DI-- D- G++ e++ h* r% y_
END Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users