HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

April patch preview -Technician, "Valkyrie", New PhysX

News Patch Press Preview

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#61 Guiotine

Guiotine

Mech Collector

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Locationsomewhere between Illal and Eorzea

Posted March 26 2013 - 12:23 PM

IIRC, there was a city named "Andromeda" mentioned in the Graphic Novel, meaning it is already a part of established lore. Although, I am used to similar naming systems in other FPS's, they aren't always the name of the location.The two examples in my head currently are Lockdown from Halo 2 and Crossfire from COD 4. Neither are the actual name of the location, but they do give somewhat of a sense of what...... I am not sure how to actually describe it...the situation on the map is, I guess_ Not really sure. Therefore, I can accept Prosk and Front lines, but Andromeda and Valkyrie sound a lot better :P

ReachH said:

I dub thee, Guiotine, 'Coloxxen, the mech pokemon'

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 02 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

This wall of text gets the AJK Seal of Approval.

#62 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted March 26 2013 - 12:23 PM

View PostHocisern, on March 26 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

EOC direct dmg too fuzzy bunny

Most of the damage (180) comes from explosive mines...

Direct impact damage is 30, lol.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#63 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted March 26 2013 - 12:24 PM

Maybe allow the technician the be test-driven upon release, seriously.
"... And I gazed once more unto the looking glass, but with a clear and unclouded will..."

#64 StutterStep

StutterStep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted March 26 2013 - 12:25 PM

Is a healer the right choice for this need in Hawken right now_ Maybe not - but lets not discount the potential benefit this can have on the player base before we see it in action.
What about the bigger potential to ruin the game entirely_  There's never been a requirement to bring a certain mech to the battlefield.  What happens when you add a "healer_"  It becomes a requirement for both sides.  Especially in any competitive sense.

#65 FenixStryk

FenixStryk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • LocationUS-East

Posted March 26 2013 - 12:28 PM

I need to see and playtest the Nanobot Rifle before I say anything about it. I think the current skin is fine and would prefer it not to be changed.

Also,

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 26 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

The upcoming map is officially called FRONT LINE, not Valk as Valk was just an internal name.
Why are you so bad at naming maps_ Andromeda and Valkyrie were immensely better names! At least I won't have to worry when Facility is renamed...

Edited by FenixStryk, March 26 2013 - 02:14 PM.

It was fun while it lasted.

#66 Hocisern

Hocisern

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque NM

Posted March 26 2013 - 12:31 PM

View PostStutterStep, on March 26 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

Is a healer the right choice for this need in Hawken right now_ Maybe not - but lets not discount the potential benefit this can have on the player base before we see it in action.
What about the bigger potential to ruin the game entirely_  There's never been a requirement to bring a certain mech to the battlefield.  What happens when you add a "healer_"  It becomes a requirement for both sides.  Especially in any competitive sense.

You could totally be right - it might end up being horrible. I'm curious, though, why you think a mech being required is inherently a bad thing_

#67 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted March 26 2013 - 12:33 PM

I don't think it would ruin the game, it might be annoying in pubs just like dealing with a Sharpshooter with another Sharpshooter. We don't really know how the gun functions in terms of speed, CD and heat gen. Right now it seems more of a burden of having one teammate go on a very supportive mech. I've seen FPS games where players can have roles but those roles arn't very defined so you can easily replace them, the enemy having a healer doesn't mean you need a healer. Sounds like the healing role is an attempt to balance out not having extra firepower by helping what you do have last longer to help fill the void in your lack of firepower, would require a bit of teamwork to do properly.

Then again, we haven't played it so we don't have any evidence.

#68 ShadowWarg

ShadowWarg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows behind you

Posted March 26 2013 - 12:35 PM

View PostTimber_Wolf, on March 26 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

[font=Helvetica, Helvetica-Neue, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]"On the note of repairing, we made sure to mention that to Paul. If you've played Hawken before, then you'd know that you can repair you mech by going into an idle state tempararily. In this situation instead, a Technician can heal you quicker than that rate and you won't be vulnerable to ambushes"[/font]

Err... now I'm not saying this is true, because I don't know for sure, but if it is, holy fuzzy bunny that sounds busted.
Turret mode brawler, anyone_  Also, did we really need another A class that's insta-gibbed by burst damage_  No love for C class still.

No opinion on New Valkyrie until I play it, either.

Would you be happy if the repair gun didn't work on a turret mode mech_

There is to much complaining about the mech before it is even out yet. Its better to wait and see, then complain about whether or not it really is a broken concept.

#69 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted March 26 2013 - 12:39 PM

Dev's have been holding back on us D:

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#70 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 26 2013 - 12:41 PM

So we can argue all day about what mechs are and aren't balanced in terms of their power (raider MIRV needs spread, EOC direct dmg too fuzzy bunny, hellfire knockback - wtf man). The devs can tweak these values until the end of time - that's all well and good.

What the addition of the technician will (hopefully) accomplish is some balance in terms of player skill. Right now there isn't a mech out there that is so easy to use that there's a chance a first time player will have the ability to place the top three while at the same time not having such a high skill cap that the most experienced players will be unstoppable in it.

What a mech like this will do is help to prevent, (or maybe fix) Hawken from being "a small community of veterans churning through new players at an alarming rate" (http://www.penny-arc...ncing-for-skill). I'm pretty sure none of us want this.

You could also find this in the hellfire missiles. Not hard to use and do plenty of damage.

Posted Image

#71 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted March 26 2013 - 12:44 PM

Think of this game's open beta as if the skirmishes and territory were actually happening.
One side develops tech to counter the other, the other successfully jacks a portion of the equipment.
That's how a war with consistently developing technology goes, and we are technically in the thick of the changing battlefield.
"... And I gazed once more unto the looking glass, but with a clear and unclouded will..."

#72 ShadowGTR

ShadowGTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted March 26 2013 - 12:47 PM

I know you guys put a lot of time and effort into the names of these maps. But in my opinion, it seems that the internal names for many of these maps shouldn't be regarded as "internal names only". Maybe you could try sticking with a few of the internal names_ I know there is lore surrounding all this, but aren't you guys part of the driving force behind the lore_ I would hope you have a little say in the matter. ;)  

Judging by the fact that many Alpha and early Beta players still refer to these maps by their old internal names, and the small outcry at the changing of Valkyrie, perhaps I am not alone in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents, not trying to sound unappreciative. Lots of good stuff appears to be coming our way! Bring it on! :D

Posted Image

#73 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted March 26 2013 - 12:50 PM

Honestly, Frontline is a stupid name. Is it supposed to be ironic that the place used to be a high-class civilian center or something_

The old internal names were indeed much better, with the possible exception of Prosk. But seeing how that is a faction name, Andromeda is great too.

The old internal names had a 'place feel' to them, while the new names have a 'military style feel' to them. I think a lot of people prefer the old ones for this reason. And it's also for this reason that I think the old names fit the lore much better.

Edited by ReachH, March 26 2013 - 12:53 PM.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#74 StutterStep

StutterStep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted March 26 2013 - 12:55 PM

View PostSylhiri, on March 26 2013 - 12:33 PM, said:

Sounds like the healing role is an attempt to balance out not having extra firepower by helping what you do have last longer to help fill the void in your lack of firepower, would require a bit of teamwork to do properly.
  That's my point really, it becomes a requirement.  You've been playing a long time.  Do you really think if one side lacks firepower, a healer is going to make a difference_  What happens when the team with heavier firepower chooses to add their own healer_  You're back to square one.

I'm all about increasing TTK in this game.  I think it would be more fun.  I just, personally, don't like the idea of forcing people to play a certain way, or mech, is the way to do it.

@Hocisern:  I think it's bad because it can, potentially, take away someones choice to play what they want to.  Thinking on a more competitive level anyway, because pubs are random anyway.  What if the 6 people on your team want to play mechs that aren't "healers_" However, a healer is required to win.  Now someone has to play something they don't want to.  I'm not saying that's going to be the case, but 99.9% of pvp type games that have a healing class, require one to be successful.

#75 dirty_apeman

dirty_apeman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationHere, there and anywhere

Posted March 26 2013 - 12:58 PM

View PostFrouste, on March 26 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

Think of this game's open beta as if the skirmishes and territory were actually happening.
One side develops tech to counter the other, the other successfully jacks a portion of the equipment.
That's how a war with consistently developing technology goes, and we are technically in the thick of the changing battlefield.

That's the most interesting statement so far. This is the first time that I have been playing a beta as it evolves and it is making it much more engrossing.

#76 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted March 26 2013 - 01:10 PM

Technically speaking, if the UTA brings military forces down onto the planet with their mecha, aircraft and conventional vehicles, Prosk and Sentium (combined or separated) may end up tearing the UTA forces due to their tech and tactics.

Edited by Frouste, March 26 2013 - 01:10 PM.

#77 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted March 26 2013 - 01:11 PM

View PostStutterStep, on March 26 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

Do you really think if one side lacks firepower, a healer is going to make a difference_  What happens when the team with heavier firepower chooses to add their own healer_  You're back to square one.

What I am saying is if you take a team with 6 mechs (6 firepower) and replace on of those mechs with a tech (5 firepower, 1 support) that it should be just the same as 6 firepower since i'm pretty sure you can only support one mech at a time (depends on CD, etc.). By having one support it doesn't make your team worse for not having one, just different. From that you can have different play styles and tactics as long as 1 support = 1 firepower.

There should be no heavier firepower, if a class has more damaging weapons then the rest then that is overpowered and should be toned down with the rest. That's really no different then team A going against team B cept that team B has mech/s that do more damage, even if the tech was never created such a scenario shouldn't happen.

#78 Guiotine

Guiotine

Mech Collector

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Locationsomewhere between Illal and Eorzea

Posted March 26 2013 - 01:12 PM

View PostReachH, on March 26 2013 - 12:50 PM, said:

The old internal names were indeed much better, with the possible exception of Prosk.

I am still waiting for a map named Sentium. Possibly Crion as well.

Edited by Guiotine, March 26 2013 - 01:13 PM.

ReachH said:

I dub thee, Guiotine, 'Coloxxen, the mech pokemon'

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 02 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

This wall of text gets the AJK Seal of Approval.

#79 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted March 26 2013 - 01:15 PM

View PostGuiotine, on March 26 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

Possibly Crion as well.

Oh that's really easy to make, I'm surprised they haven't done it yet.

Posted Image

#80 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 26 2013 - 01:23 PM

I'm feeling quite curious on the Technician.

On the new map: Wow!!

And on the demo: Woaah!! Brutally cool :D

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: News, Patch, Press, Preview

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users