HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Grain Filter is back_

Announcement

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 MS79

MS79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted April 15 2013 - 09:32 PM

Now I can't mod the .ini to remove the grain filter effect. Why oh why is the grain effect forced on us_!

This might only be me...but the grain effect bothers me so much that I might just stop playing, unless I can disable it.

Boo adhesive games, booo!!!

#2 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Locationnear the north pole

Posted April 15 2013 - 09:36 PM

.ini files are still editable and I have image grain turned off through mine, if you can't edit your file it is probably set to read only.

View PostDew, on April 04 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

There's a difference between making the hoop 14 feet high and telling all the players that you have to wait for half a second after running before you can shoot the ball.

#3 MS79

MS79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted April 15 2013 - 09:46 PM

Yeah, I did that. I set it back. I'm just wondering why do they feel like this effect adds something to the game_!

#4 Guiotine

Guiotine

Mech Collector

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Locationsomewhere between Illal and Eorzea

Posted April 15 2013 - 09:51 PM

Why do people have a problem with it_ I think it is a rather cool effect and it doesn't seem to impact my FPS (though I could be wrong on that :P)

ReachH said:

I dub thee, Guiotine, 'Coloxxen, the mech pokemon'

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 02 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

This wall of text gets the AJK Seal of Approval.

#5 Scapes

Scapes

Former Community Manager

• Alpha Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted April 15 2013 - 10:41 PM

View PostMS79, on April 15 2013 - 09:32 PM, said:

Now I can't mod the .ini to remove the grain filter effect. Why oh why is the grain effect forced on us_!

The Advanced Graphics settings make a return with the Technician Update and include a toggle for film grain.
"Nothing reveals humanity so well as the games it plays."

#6 Alastor_Crow

Alastor_Crow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • LocationQueens, NY

Posted April 15 2013 - 10:46 PM

View PostScapes, on April 15 2013 - 10:41 PM, said:

View PostMS79, on April 15 2013 - 09:32 PM, said:

The Advanced Graphics settings make a return with the Technician Update and include a toggle for film grain.

I don't have a problem with the grain filter although I am curious to see how it looks like without it while I play. I've seen some prototype Hawken footage without the film grain and it looks pretty sweet. But for the sake of feeling like I'm in a cockpit, I'll probably leave it on.

Also...Hawken devs work odd hours of the night visiting forums lol. You couldn't force me to do anything work-related once I get home from my job. It's a very good thing since it does show you guys really love your work.

Posted Image

#7 Scapes

Scapes

Former Community Manager

• Alpha Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted April 15 2013 - 10:48 PM

View PostAlastor_Crow, on April 15 2013 - 10:46 PM, said:

Also...Hawken devs work odd hours of the night visiting forums lol. You couldn't force me to do anything work-related once I get home from my job. It's a very good thing since it does show you guys really love your work.

Just got home from Monday game night, figured I'd check in on how the patch notes were being received.
"Nothing reveals humanity so well as the games it plays."

#8 Alastor_Crow

Alastor_Crow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • LocationQueens, NY

Posted April 15 2013 - 10:51 PM

Same as always lol. A combination of doubt, anger, and merriment.

Posted Image

#9 Aptest

Aptest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted April 16 2013 - 01:22 AM

with respect to any kind of visual effect in the game, i must resort to one question to determine if it is worth it:
"does it cost me any fps_"

yes = turn it off please.

#10 TheLostVikings

TheLostVikings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted April 16 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostAptest, on April 16 2013 - 01:22 AM, said:

with respect to any kind of visual effect in the game, i must resort to one question to determine if it is worth it:

In-game hit F5 to bring down the console and type "stat fps" to show your fps, then load the training mission and you can turn on/off the various options while getting live feedback to how they impact your fps.

Going to be much more useful now that we finally have the advanced settings back.

#11 ShadowGTR

ShadowGTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted April 16 2013 - 11:25 AM

View PostScapes, on April 15 2013 - 10:41 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 MartyFriedman

MartyFriedman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationRedmond, Washington, US

Posted April 16 2013 - 11:45 AM

View PostMS79, on April 15 2013 - 09:46 PM, said:

Yeah, I did that. I set it back. I'm just wondering why do they feel like this effect adds something to the game_!

Probably just for a sense of realism since, unlike other games with a grain filter, what you're seeing truly is from a camera exposed to the elements.  But, it really doesn't do anything outside of that, and it is nice that it can just be turned off from the menu without having to .ini edit.
Posted Image

#13 hendman

hendman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted April 16 2013 - 12:38 PM

Maybe a textbased game would be more to your liking_

#14 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted April 16 2013 - 12:48 PM

View Posthendman, on April 16 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

Now let's not start a fight...

View PostScapes, on April 15 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

Just got home from Monday game night, figured I'd check in on how the patch notes were being received.

Aside from a slight misinterpretation on my end, pretty good here.
"... And I gazed once more unto the looking glass, but with a clear and unclouded will..."

#15 DaPheel

DaPheel

EXPLOSIONS_

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted April 17 2013 - 03:39 AM

Joy - advanced settings has returned. I like the film grain effect, but after a while it gives me brutal headaches. I am blind as a bat though.
Posted Image"OFFICIAL SHIELD BEARER"
Spoiler

#16 Jintonic

Jintonic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted April 17 2013 - 04:03 AM

film grain is old story, but does someone know how to turn off that noise effect_

#17 Aptest

Aptest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted April 17 2013 - 07:41 AM

Text based games have horrendous FPS. genenerally you only see a screen update when you press "enter". what is that, like 1 frame per 30 seconds_ :P

I am running a below-minimum-specifications machine. In addition, because I am using one of the budget NVIDIA GPUs and this game uses DX11 elements, I have to underclock my card to make the game not crash. This means right now I have a choice. having the game running mostly decently without all the shiny bits (and staying away from 24ppl maps and smoke vents) OR abandoning the game.

P.S. lots of people also dislike the "blanket visual effects on entire screen". Specifically people don't like film grain because I think it makes targets blend into the background.

Edited by Aptest, April 17 2013 - 07:43 AM.

#18 hendman

hendman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted April 17 2013 - 11:05 AM

View PostAptest, on April 17 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

Text based games have horrendous FPS. genenerally you only see a screen update when you press "enter". what is that, like 1 frame per 30 seconds_ :P

I am running a below-minimum-specifications machine. In addition, because I am using one of the budget NVIDIA GPUs and this game uses DX11 elements, I have to underclock my card to make the game not crash. This means right now I have a choice. having the game running mostly decently without all the shiny bits (and staying away from 24ppl maps and smoke vents) OR abandoning the game.

P.S. lots of people also dislike the "blanket visual effects on entire screen". Specifically people don't like film grain because I think it makes targets blend into the background.

2 fpm.....not bad at all :D

Anyways, you might wanna have a look at this thread: https://community.pl...for-low-frames/
It could help to raise your fps (i did for me the last week while using a subpar videocard), but i don't know how much of the changes made in that tweak can be manually set in the advanced video options which are coming back with tomorrows patch. It might or might not be needed anymore after tomorrow.

#19 Aptest

Aptest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted April 17 2013 - 11:12 AM

View Posthendman, on April 17 2013 - 11:05 AM, said:

2 fpm.....not bad at all :D

Anyways, you might wanna have a look at this thread: https://community.pl...for-low-frames/
It could help to raise your fps (i did for me the last week while using a subpar videocard), but i don't know how much of the changes made in that tweak can be manually set in the advanced video options which are coming back with tomorrows patch. It might or might not be needed anymore after tomorrow.

We'll see :rolleyes:. I already have my tweaked config file on two back-ups. Gonna have to test if the advanced settings make my mech workable.

I hope there's a feature to remove the smoke effects. Every time there's a smoking vent in the game my FPS goes clubbing. :ph34r:

#20 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted April 17 2013 - 11:39 AM

this game uses DX11 elements

Incorrect, Hawken is strictly DX9.
Posted Image