HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Oh for that "One Last Ship."

Forum

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Abbera

Abbera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationDayton, Ohio - United States

Posted June 12 2013 - 06:24 PM

This is of course a Siege topic.  How many of you Siege players have had this happen.  Your team is doing well.  You may even have the opponent down 3000 to 200.  Then, somehow you lose.  I call this the "One Last Ship" syndrome.  While all of your teammates scramble to gather energy to launch that "One Last Ship," your opponents suddenly realize that they will lose unless they control AA for the remainder of the game.  They come together as a team, overpower the AA and blast all of your team's mechs that get close to AA.  Your team launches that last ship time after time only for it to somehow blow up half way to the enemy base.  The enemy's ship launches eventually and each time it does, it does major damage to your base as it travels half way to your base while your team scrambles to dump their energy off at the base.  Any advice you give falls on deaf ears as your teammates are firmly in the grasp of the idea of the game will be won on that "One Last Ship" because the enemy is so close to dying.  My suggestion to help prevent this scenario is to give mechs on your side an icon that changes as the player gains experience and wins in a scenario.  That way, players will be able to tell who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't.  I noticed that the game unlocks a rank for the different scenarios based upon the amount you have played it, but I am not aware of a way for the others to know who has what rank on their team.  I am sick of "newbies" giving bad advice while the team ignores good advice.  How about you_

#2 Komodo_Saurian

Komodo_Saurian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted June 12 2013 - 06:30 PM

The round lasts too long -> Players start leaving on both teams -> Better players might join the game -> Due to losing team having less players they get assigned there and turn the game around.

Simple, I think :wacko:

Someone important said:

Ego stroking quote.
- Distracting banner.
- Obligatory PC spec boasting, 'cause I'm rich.
- Shameless self-promotion links.
- Sneak a peak into every second stream voiceover ever.

#3 FussyBadger

FussyBadger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted June 12 2013 - 06:32 PM

I think I played in that game tonight.

#4 Insightful

Insightful

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationBEHIND YOU!

Posted June 12 2013 - 06:35 PM

I have been on the opposing side that turns it around and it usually has to do with a good player joining or someone takes command and starts barking orders (which is sometimes me).
“It is the mark of an educated man to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it”

Aristotle

#5 tease_it

tease_it

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Locationjust outside Illinois' border

Posted June 12 2013 - 06:43 PM

View PostFussyBadger, on June 12 2013 - 06:32 PM, said:

I think I played in that game tonight.

I think I may have been there as well.  I remember entering a siege match where my team wasn't doing too well and helping to turn it around with my Infiltrator, then winning the match.

Edited by tease_it, June 12 2013 - 06:44 PM.

[font=courier new,courier,monospace]If violence isn't solving all your problems, you simply aren't using enough of it.[/font]

#6 ShadowGTR

ShadowGTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted June 12 2013 - 07:43 PM

I've seen that happen quite often, both for and against. Had a match last Saturday which lasted for an hour. It should have lasted for about 20 minutes, but two folks dropped out on the enemy team. Two more folks came in, and our 3000/400 lead slowly ebbed away for 40 minutes. Our team just couldn't flush the enemy out of the AA when their ship launched, and we ended up having to shoot down the ship each time. Those two players that came in turned the tide just enough in their favor. It was rough losing when we had such a strong start, but that's how the game goes sometimes.

Posted Image

#7 Wondrz

Wondrz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationWonderland

Posted June 13 2013 - 01:06 AM

Hey Abbera!

@Topic: Yea it bugs me alot, just seeing ahhh well win they only have 200 hp left then bam they somehow work together and take over dat AA and we lose. Ermagherd. its like a countermeasure. but when im on losing team ooohhhh no this doesnt happen.
Posted Image

#8 Alastor_Crow

Alastor_Crow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • LocationQueens, NY

Posted June 13 2013 - 10:19 AM

Happens quite often. I've joined games where my team only has about <400 and the opponent has an almost-full base HP. What sometimes happen is that a few good players join the losing side, after everyone ragequits, then form a better team and use strategy (better with mic) to win. Only 1 or 2 good players can make a huge difference as long as the team's morale is still up and they're open to following suggestions/strategy.

Edited by Alastor_Crow, June 13 2013 - 10:20 AM.

Posted Image

#9 Abbera

Abbera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted June 13 2013 - 06:21 PM

I agree that good players can make a difference, but I have been on too many teams that stay at the AA well up to the point where they get the enemy down and then get impatient to win.  They abandon the strategy that got them ahead and start to think too much about launching that last ship to win.  I have tried in many of these games to get players to go back to what got them there, but my K/D ratio stinks because I am an aggressive player.  Too many dismiss what I say because I die a lot.  What they don't realize is that dying is a strategic tool.  If you never die in siege, you probably haven't given your team the best chance to win.  I will often charge the AA with full knowledge that there are four or six enemy mechs in it.  The objective is to get them to turn around to kill me.  If my teammates are smart, they follow me in and get the mechs looking the other way.  Sometimes I may have to do this a half dozen times before someone figures out what I am doing since I don't have a mike.  That is the reason that I think it would be helpful to let folks know what a player's win/loss record is.  Rage quitting would have to count as a loss.

#10 Wondrz

Wondrz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationWonderland

Posted June 13 2013 - 06:46 PM

Ragequits, i feel you bro
Posted Image

#11 angryhampster

angryhampster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts
Posted June 13 2013 - 08:12 PM

hence the reason i dont play siege games.  the winner is unpredictable at least 25% of the time.

i've had 3000 points, and went down to 0, while they were at 100 points left.

these types of flops really hurt my head.

just a simple coordination and timing can change the whole thing.  since i know random pubs like myself and everyone can't work together all the time, it's bound to happen.
    --[font=arial, sans-serif](◕_◕)    [/font]
Posted Image

#12 angryhampster

angryhampster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts
Posted June 13 2013 - 08:15 PM

and the headache is immense.  

a few simple things to note...

when your base has 125 energy left, have the entire team go straight for the AA, and let that lone mech transfer the energy.    have all the mechs at middle and control the middle before it goes to 0, at the least, it'll guarantee some safety...

when ur ship dies, and they have 200 energy.... just focus in the AA area, so when they launch the ship, u will instantly destroy it, while they are just flopping to get to the AA ater launching the ship.

or just have a player of my low calibur (infiltrator) camp the AA and kill everyone there.
    --[font=arial, sans-serif](◕_◕)    [/font]
Posted Image

#13 Wondrz

Wondrz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationWonderland

Posted June 14 2013 - 03:53 AM

I only play siege when im with good team and enemy is good too but they lose equally to our team like a 0 - 100, very fun since its so intense
Posted Image

#14 tease_it

tease_it

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Locationjust outside Illinois' border

Posted June 14 2013 - 04:29 AM

I've been talking about this sort of thing (in OP) in a topic with Beemann and ShadowWarg.  This is a prime example of how a team can avoid losing if, assuming they have decent players,they just camp the AA for the entire match and have one mech gather EU.  There's no incentive to stop others from gathering or fight over EU, and there's no incentive to leave the AA when you can just camp there for eternity.  If your base is low on armor, this is actually an incentive to camp, so that the other team can't get their battleship to finish of your base.

Abbera, if you find yourself in another situation like this, I think your best bet is to rally your team (hopefully you have a mic to ease this process), and encourage them to surround the AA.  Send the Infiltrators behind the AA to do what they do best, and get a couple Brawlers to lead the forward charge.  A grenadier would be helpful for spamming enemies out of the underside of the AA, and you should try to encourage anyone who's sniping to actually get inside the AA radius.  Granted, something like this is not easy unless you're in constant communication with a cooperative team (not many people will accept leadership from a stranger), but hopefully the party system will make this easier and more interesting.  I would love to see a team working together like this, not just picking whatever mech they want to level up at the time, but using the mechs they own and their piloting skills to coordinate great offensive/defensive strategies.  It may be annoying and exploitative most of the time, but the shield spam is a close example to this.  Not just laying down a shield on the ground, but putting it on a teammate and having them lead the charge into the AA, sort of like an impromptu tactical insertion.

That's all the advice I have for now.  Hope it helps.

Edited by tease_it, June 14 2013 - 04:31 AM.

[font=courier new,courier,monospace]If violence isn't solving all your problems, you simply aren't using enough of it.[/font]

#15 M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted June 14 2013 - 04:42 AM

You can deliberately shoot at least three ships down and focus on killing a sparse team. You dont even need EU. It's a way of farming. The more autobalance messed up the better.

#16 Wondrz

Wondrz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationWonderland

Posted June 14 2013 - 04:54 AM

View Posttease_it, on June 14 2013 - 04:29 AM, said:

(not many people will accept leadership from a stranger),
I always accept commands from a mic user, not unless he swears at me and calls me a f-ing beesh for not going in AA right away, i played a match today with spliff_craven elite , 145614614614614141 (AKA Numbers) and some other dudes, too bad i didnt have a mic so i just followed instructions and did my best, was a great game , many games. Really fun when team is coordinated and works together.
Posted Image

#17 thatguythellama

thatguythellama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationOrbiting alpha centauri A, thinking about moving to B, just for a scenery change

Posted June 14 2013 - 07:18 AM

3000 to 18. My team wouldn't listen... They beat us...
In keeping with the best airborne tradition of relying on madmen instead of firepower, six of us with one BAR replaced eighteen 79th division doggies with a water cooled .50 and an air cooled .30.
David Webster, E company, Holland, 1945  

#18 thatguythellama

thatguythellama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationOrbiting alpha centauri A, thinking about moving to B, just for a scenery change

Posted June 14 2013 - 07:26 AM

View PostWondrz, on June 14 2013 - 04:54 AM, said:

View Posttease_it, on June 14 2013 - 04:29 AM, said:

(not many people will accept leadership from a stranger),
I always accept commands from a mic user, not unless he swears at me and calls me a f-ing beesh for not going in AA right away, i played a match today with spliff_craven elite , 145614614614614141 (AKA Numbers) and some other dudes, too bad i didnt have a mic so i just followed instructions and did my best, was a great game , many games. Really fun when team is coordinated and works together.

Lots of people do as I say in siege... I guess playing my 25 brawler helps earn respect, but when I get in a game with a team that listens and types return input, we usually win... The key is logic... Say you have a tech, obviously put him with some c classes, have the a classes flank, heck Make a sniper flank. If I get a decent team and they listen we can be u stoppable
In keeping with the best airborne tradition of relying on madmen instead of firepower, six of us with one BAR replaced eighteen 79th division doggies with a water cooled .50 and an air cooled .30.
David Webster, E company, Holland, 1945  

#19 Abbera

Abbera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 02:07 PM

A friend knows that I like siege and sent me a topic on another forum espousing the virtues of launching as many ships as possible.  I responded that if two teams play and one launches as many ships as it can and the other holds aa all game without delivering a single eu of energy, the team in aa wins.  How you ask_

Energy for ship counts down by itself.  All ships launched by the opponent will be killed by aa missiles before it does one point of damage to the base.  Eventually, the ship for the team in aa will launch and since the other team does not hold aa it will do damage to the base.  With enough of these time launched ships, the team in aa wins.  You don't even need one mech delivering energy, but it would make for a very long game.

So who gets more experience_  Ship launch team gets 700 experience for launching a ship.  AA team gets time experience for being in AA while ship is in flight times 6 mechs in AA.  They also get experience for destroying a ship.  I think the team in AA even gets more experience.  Bottom line, energy is a distraction that shortens the game.  Holding AA yields the greatest experience and wins the game.

If you go away from the extreme game, and let the team launching ships try to get aa, offensive efforts are costly.  They will lose a great number of mechs trying to take the aa.  If the team in AA stands its ground, it will kill many more mechs than it will lose and they will make out like bandits on xp.

Edited by Abbera, June 14 2013 - 02:16 PM.

#20 Abbera

Abbera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 02:20 PM

View Postangryhampster, on June 13 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

and the headache is immense.  

a few simple things to note...

when your base has 125 energy left, have the entire team go straight for the AA, and let that lone mech transfer the energy.    have all the mechs at middle and control the middle before it goes to 0, at the least, it'll guarantee some safety...

when ur ship dies, and they have 200 energy.... just focus in the AA area, so when they launch the ship, u will instantly destroy it, while they are just flopping to get to the AA ater launching the ship.

or just have a player of my low calibur (infiltrator) camp the AA and kill everyone there.
Why wait_  See my post.  No need to wait until your base is down to use a sound strategy for winning.  It also yields good xp.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Forum

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users